King Dork

ESPN disrespecting the Grizzlies

1 hour ago, King Dork said:

The disrespect starts at the 3 minute mark. (Somebody get this to Ja 😂)

Send this to Ja and we will be ok

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30766290/nba-power-rankings-here-come-jazz-cavs-cut-nets-twice

OMG the disrespect is unrelenting and sickening.

The Grizzlies move up only one spot despite 5 straight wins including Philly, Suns, and Nets (all of whom sit above us), and sit below the Hawks, who had an 8 spot jump, even though they have a (slightly) worse overall record than us and their 3 wins were all against the worst teams in their respective divisions; and the Cavs, who had a 7 spot jump, all because of two wins against the Nets.

How come the person who makes up this crap won't sign his name to this POS?

Why are you still looking at ESPN as a source of unbiased information? They just pander to the largest markets because that’s where their money come from. The few legit journalists they still have are either behind the paywall or accesible through Twitter.

19 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Why are you still looking at ESPN as a source of unbiased information? They just pander to the largest markets because that’s where their money come from. The few legit journalists they still have are either behind the paywall or accesible through Twitter.

good points around. I really miss the griz. this is a tough detox on the prison flo'..

slim.

20 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

I think people understand that but in a way still seek validation from ESPN because it is the "sports leader" and it is where more casual fans go to get their sports news. If they are presenting us in a positive light, then the casual fan will look at us in a positive light.

I don't agree in seeking validation from ESPN but I understand and it is what it is.

52 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I think people understand that but in a way still seek validation from ESPN because it is the "sports leader" and it is where more casual fans go to get their sports news. If they are presenting us in a positive light, then the casual fan will look at us in a positive light.

I don't agree in seeking validation from ESPN but I understand and it is what it is.

I guess. To me, it's the biggest of who's give a flying flip.

That posters feel disrespected by some silly weekly ranking is pretty sad. The great thing in pro sports, unlike college, is rankings don't matter. All that matters is your won-loss record. Seriously, who cares about what ESPN or anyone says?

As much as I'd like to say it doesn't matter what ESPN does, the fact is a large percent of the Grizzlies market area watches it for their news and entertainment.  Getting no attention on a regular basis doesn't exactly boost ticket sales in those crazy days ahead when people will go to games.

53 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

As much as I'd like to say it doesn't matter what ESPN does, the fact is a large percent of the Grizzlies market area watches it for their news and entertainment.  Getting no attention on a regular basis doesn't exactly boost ticket sales in those crazy days ahead when people will go to games.

Talking about one weekly ranking, not ESPN coverage. The ESPN guys in general are very positive towards the Grizzlies. It's one of Tim McMahon assigned teams. Zach Lowe loved the Grit 'n Grind Grizzlies, says Marc Gasol might be his favorite player ever. Windhorst just wrote last week that Ja is much more important to winning than Zion. Verno on his Ringer pod, which has ranked in the top 100 downloads several times. KOC made the young Grizz his 1st Void segment last week. Hollinger for The Athletic and his pods give great exposure to the Grizz. 

The sad fact is that a lot of Grizz fans look for any chance to be "disrespected", which, imo, is kind of pathetic. It reeks of insecurity. 

40 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

The sad fact is that a lot of Grizz fans look for any chance to be "disrespected", which, imo, is kind of pathetic. It reeks of insecurity. 

I understand your point as far as fans and you probably have a valid argument here.. 

in thinking of it in terms of players, however, I look at it a little differently. jordan, to many, the best to ever to play the game, motivated himself in exactly the way that you discount as petty and insecurity. he had to have that drive of someone saying he could not do this or that or he was not as good as previous years. ja does the exact same thing. 

for the record, I truly could not care less about what espn says or does not say. thank goodness the nba is not like college bball or football where promotion and hype counts on the court at the end. 

slim.

3 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

I understand your point as far as fans and you probably have a valid argument here.. 

in thinking of it in terms of players, however, I look at it a little differently. jordan, to many, the best to ever to play the game, motivated himself in exactly the way that you discount as petty and insecurity. he had to have that drive of someone saying he could not do this or that or he was not as good as previous years. ja does the exact same thing. 

for the record, I truly could not care less about what espn says or does not say. thank goodness the nba is not like college bball or football where promotion and hype counts on the court at the end. 

slim.

Jordan did do that. Was kind of amazing in The Last Dance how he would invent slights to motivate him. 

Ha yeah I didn't think this was much of a slight. It was Paul Pierce's opinion, which isn't exactly scripture. 

Also, I would probably agree that we are right on that line and at the end of the season probably will be either the 8th seed or one of the play-in teams. I am not as convinced about Golden State staying competitive, but if Curry is back to form (as he seems to be) they should be right with us in the 7-10 range. 

9 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I think we should all remember that it's Disney, so it is literally a Mickey Mouse operation.

Depending on how many more games get cancelled, Grizz could be in the 4th seed soon!

1 hour ago, Subliminal said:

Depending on how many more games get cancelled, Grizz could be in the 4th seed soon!

I REALLY want a top 6 seed.  Bring on the Jazz or the Clippers! Let’s see what we got.  I also couldn’t care less about picking in the 12-15 range.  If the Jazz and Clips keeping hanging in there with the Lakers maybe the LAKERS fall to 3.  Wow, I guess, ideally, we move into the 4-5 series.  Only a game or 2 could separate the bulk of the West seeding and the West looks top heavy.  I would be less worried about playing the Mavs or Nuggets.  

23 hours ago, The J Crew said:

I guess. To me, it's the biggest of who's give a flying flip.

That posters feel disrespected by some silly weekly ranking is pretty sad. The great thing in pro sports, unlike college, is rankings don't matter. All that matters is your won-loss record. Seriously, who cares about what ESPN or anyone says?

Everybody has their own whatever. I mean, different strokes for different folks. I ain't mad at 'em. It's mostly just to generate conversation anyway.

4 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Everybody has their own whatever. I mean, different strokes for different folks. I ain't mad at 'em. It's mostly just to generate conversation anyway.

I mean, that's fine. But some, maybe not you, really get fired up about ESPN one week ranking us at 19 or 21 or whatever. Some intern at ESPN probably spent 10 minutes adjusting the ranking from the previous week. It's just click bait, ESPN has fired most of their actual writers. 

On 1/26/2021 at 1:07 PM, The J Crew said:

That’s a Memphis thing.

We always feel disrespected.

Memphis vs Errrybody is a thing... a mentality. If you’re not one of us then you must be with the errybody else.

Not only Grizz... Tigers, Redbirds, any perceived threat from Nashville etc.

Barbecue best on EARTH (fight me).

Even mud Island ...well...too much? Ok I’ll try to reel it in a bit. 🙃

I definitely still get excited every time I see anything Memphis related that’s positive.

I religiously scour the internet checking rankings and any little compliment I can find.

Bring it here and watch Memphis go to work manufacturing a slight! 

Like this :

non- Memphian “ I hear that Memphis has a GREAT ZOO!”

Memphian “ Aw BUT everybody’s says San Diego’s is better”.

Strange but definitely true.

Just wait until some random writer says that Nashville is about to TAKE something from Memphis...

ESPN ALWAYS HATES US