BigHunkALove

Grizzlies/NBA trade deadline 2021 and beyond

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Uggghhhhh.  For these prices on Fournier and Dipo, why not take a shot?

 

Yeah man... if we ain’t gonna take we might as well try to add pieces to help us win/push for a top 6 seed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If all it took to get Fournier was two 2nds i'm not sure what ya'll are expecting to get for a guy like Dieng. There's no way the Magic or the Rockets would've wanted him.

Besides we have our trade deadline acquisition on the roster already: JJJ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, King Dork said:

Could’ve got both for pennies. Those 2 with Jaren added would’ve made this Grizzlies team dangerous. Would get rid of future assets but do we actually expect the late first from Utah and 2 seconds to be players potentially as good and Dipo and Fournier? I doubt it. 
 

Probably be hard to re-sign tho. 

Agreed. But let's assume they don't re-sign. We still get something back in a sign-and-trade. 

Some guy tweeted earlier that there have been 16 FA sign-and-trades in the last couple of off seasons. At some point, the cost/reward tilts in the favor or being aggressive. Does Kleiman not know that Grayson Allen is our starting shooting guard?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh well, Jeff will always have Monday, March 22nd, when he cooked our backcourt for 26 points. And, to use the words of Chris Herrington, 'went around Grayson like he was a traffic cone' to force the game to overtime. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

LA probably to the Heat. So possible that Miami gets Oladipo and Aldridge for a bag of pretzels.

 

The Heat literally got better by giving up absolutely nothing. 

 

19 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Agreed. But let's assume they don't re-sign. We still get something back in a sign-and-trade. 

Some guy tweeted earlier that there have been 16 FA sign-and-trades in the last couple of off seasons. At some point, the cost/reward tilts in the favor or being aggressive. Does Kleiman not know that Grayson Allen is our starting shooting guard?

I agree with this 100%. At a certain point lack of aggression hurts a franchise. At some point we have to take a chance on something, and literally two 20ppg scorers for 1 1st round pick and expiring contracts and bags of chips is a small price to pay to take a chance on proven NBA scorers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand why they didn't do anything but I do think there would have been benefit in going one way or the other. Don't think a pick in the teens has much long term impact so could have embraced the tank or taken a flier on some of the wings moved about today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dy_dy_dynomite said:

Wouldn’t mind just waiving Dieng if we can’t get anything for him and try bringing in some of the  guys we had in the g league 

 

If there is a young talent or a buyout guy they want on the roster, they will buy him out. 

However, they aren't going to buy him out just for the sake of having him gone.  He's a solid character vet who is capable of playing in the playoffs if/when JV or JJJ are injured.  

Right now, if JV gets injured, they'd be screwed, even if JJJ were playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess they wanna keep the guys around to make a move on draft day.   Honestly, it is only an issue for me because Taylor now really has no reason to remove Grayson from SL.     Tyus is down to playing about 12mpg now.   Seems like a consolidation would have been a smart move for the rest of the season.    oh well.   I wonder if the guys play improve because that weight has been lifted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Celtics will be cutting Luke Kornet any minute (they just got him as an afterthought in a trade).

Do we want a 7-2 guy who can shoot from three point range?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Memphis did nothing?

Of course not, were you seriously thinking they would?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

The Celtics will be cutting Luke Kornet any minute (they just got him as an afterthought in a trade).

Do we want a 7-2 guy who can shoot from three point range?

They have a slightly smaller older model that shoots a higher 3 point percentage already paid for sitting on the bench.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, King Dork said:

They could’ve traded Dieng and Utah’s future late first round pick. 

For a two month rental?

There'll be a firesale when most of the contenders realize they are pretenders after getting knocked out of the finals.

The pick can be used to pick up these cast offs

Or try to move up in the draft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

For a two month rental?

There'll be a firesale when most of the contenders realize they are pretenders after getting knocked out of the finals.

The pick can be used to pick up these cast offs

Or try to move up in the draft

Yes, 100% for a two month rental, as you call it. The goal is to win. Players want to win. If you can make a relatively minor investment to help achieve that goal, you should try to do it. Players also see when their front office doesn't do things to help the team. 

Then, to repeat, we have the player's Bird Rights. Only 6 teams have meaningful cap space this summer, so Bird Rights are a big deal. Puts us in the driver seat to re-sign. Or, allows us  the FA sign-and-trade to recoup an asset. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The J Crew said:

Yes, 100% for a two month rental, as you call it. The goal is to win. Players want to win. If you can make a relatively minor investment to help achieve that goal, you should try to do it. Players also see when their front office doesn't do things to help the team. 

Then, to repeat, we have the player's Bird Rights. Only 6 teams have meaningful cap space this summer, so Bird Rights are a big deal. Puts us in the driver seat to re-sign. Or, allows us  the FA sign-and-trade to recoup an asset. 

I just never had a feeling that there was going to be a trade at the deadline.

So did you, that's why you won the bet. 😝  Great gesture, by the way.

The draft day is where I think the action will be. By then, they will know exactly what they have, want, and don't need

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

I just never had a feeling that there was going to be a trade at the deadline.

So did you, that's why you won the bet. 😝  Great gesture, by the way.

The draft day is where I think the action will be. By then, they will know exactly what they have, want, and don't need

Yeah. Maybe Jaren being in flux has just paralyzed the front office.

Also, I think they know they blew the Justise trade last February, and are a little gun shy to make another move for a wing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The J Crew said:

Yeah. Maybe Jaren being in flux has just paralyzed the front office.

Also, I think they know they blew the Justise trade last February, and are a little gun shy to make another move for a wing. 

Also, by then, if Winslow isn't re-signed, according to ESPN, that brings us to $27 MIL available for FA. Now they could choose to go after someone like Oubre, or hold onto the space and wait until someone wants to move a big contract that we can absorb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BigHunkALove said:

Also, by then, if Winslow isn't re-signed, according to ESPN, that brings us to $27 MIL available for FA. Now they could choose to go after someone like Oubre, or hold onto the space and wait until someone wants to move a big contract that we can absorb.

I agree with your numbers.

But trading for Fournier would have allowed us the same options. And the Warriors were shopping the hell out of Oubre. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Kyle Lowry got Conleyed.

 

After believing he'd get moved, he's having to finish out the season with the Raptors.

Twice now! He was also being shopped around at the same time JV got traded to the Grizzlies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

I agree with your numbers.

But trading for Fournier would have allowed us the same options. And the Warriors were shopping the hell out of Oubre. 

Now this might upset GTF, but I'd rather have Oubre than Winslow. I know Oubre has been inconsistent, but he has the potential to really go off. No way I see Winslow doing likewise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come on guys, just because Fournier and Oladipo were traded for a low price doesn't mean those deals were available for us. Orlando clearly wanted to obtain a TPE which we couldn't create and I'm pretty sure Oladipo's agent has shared a short list of destinations where he'd entertain the possibility of re-signing.

Now it's clear the FO prefers to have all that dead salary fall off the books for greater flexibility in the medium term.

Hey, Flex I. Bility, that's a name I hadn't heard in a while!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fournier doesn't really move the needle so I don't know if the front office would have called about him at all. 

Oladipo would move the needle if he was healthy and playing at an all-star level, and also you'd need reassurances he'd want to re-sign with Memphis. Still risky with his injury history and the fact that he only had one really fantastic season. I have no problem with the front office passing on him as well.

This is still a young team and front office's plan has probably been the same since before last season: roll with young guys, try and add more young guys, evaluate for a couple of years without making any big moves. The opportunity to make a trade for a young player wasn't there this year with what the Grizzlies had to offer. Dieng is not a good enough piece and they probably didn't want to give up any picks. It's not like last year where they could shop Crowder and Iguodala who were actually valued by teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now