BigHunkALove

Grizzlies/NBA trade deadline 2021 and beyond

5 hours ago, Ja_Rules said:

You guys are underestimanting 3 things: the role he will play here of the bench against being a starter, the fit he will have as a bench player around 3 other plus defenders and that it will be his contract year in before probably his last big contract. 

trading solid rotation players on good contracts for freaking robert covington is beyond dumb bro.  like this is worse than some of @ALT GRIND's ideas lol

1 hour ago, srmjr23 said:

So you want to trade Tyus + Grayson + Brandon Clarke and a Top 5 protected first round pick for Robert Covington. Am I understanding that correctly? I wouldn't trade BC for Covington straight up and I'm not even that high on him at the moment. These trades are so outrageously one sided for the other team. They'd have to give us a pick for me to consider this trade. 

This is the kind of trade a contending team might make. Like the Lakers or Bucks, Phillly, etc. They need another piece or two to get it together so they go all in throw some picks at the other team to upgrade. We're not there yet at all. 

100 at the bolded.  this move wouldn't even help us in the present much less future.  i wouldn't trade him straight up for allen or clarke at all.

Wonder what our next move is. I mean I wish we would sign another vet but I'm not holding my breath

What we need right now is patience - don't expect to be a top 5 team next year.  Let these guys play & grow into a cohesive unit.  A lot of the direction we'll take will depend on JJJ's performance & health - I hope he's ready to blossom next year.

8 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

So you are saying without JVs 17ppg we can't make the playoffs?..... If that is true then we may as well just tank and trade everyone then hope to get a SuperSTar in the draft to get us over the top.   Because obviously JV is more important to winning than a healthy Ja and Jaren.    If you say his rebounding is the difference then let me introduce you to Steven Adams. 

I don't think they are banking on taking a step back - i think they are willing to risk taking a slight one.  Personally, i saw JV as a cog in the engine whereas some of y'all treating him like he was the entire car.  

If the team falls apart without JV then we truly need to flush this experiment and start over.  SO far  we have only loss JV and Justise from last years team.  Thats all.  I think we will be fine. 

Yeah, JV went beast mode in a bunch of games but he also had games where he missed a ton of short shots while getting killed on defense. And he generated some of his offense on offensive boards, but a good 6-8ppg of his were pick and rolls where he got the ball in a dunking position from Ja. Some of that will be replicated by Adams.

9 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

So you are saying without JVs 17ppg we can't make the playoffs?..... If that is true then we may as well just tank and trade everyone then hope to get a SuperSTar in the draft to get us over the top.   Because obviously JV is more important to winning than a healthy Ja and Jaren.    If you say his rebounding is the difference then let me introduce you to Steven Adams. 

I don't think they are banking on taking a step back - i think they are willing to risk taking a slight one.  Personally, i saw JV as a cog in the engine whereas some of y'all treating him like he was the entire car.  

If the team falls apart without JV then we truly need to flush this experiment and start over.  SO far  we have only loss JV and Justise from last years team.  Thats all.  I think we will be fine. 

Adams will go back to 12-13 ppg in this offense with no plays ran for him. Before his disaster season last year (New Orleans was a wreck), he has always had comparable advanced stats to JV (WS, VORP, plus minus) and more importantly he doesn't become a target against good teams or in the playoffs. 

Would a Bledsoe for Prince and a Grayson for Knox trades be acceptable in your opinion? I would send a 2nd round pick or two to faciliate this if needed. We get two SF which we can choose from as backups (Prince as a veteran one, and Knox as a reclamation project) and choose between the two before the season starts.

download.thumb.png.7c3d9da2d81e522f1621b4d4a22754f0.png

59 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

Yeah, JV went beast mode in a bunch of games but he also had games where he missed a ton of short shots while getting killed on defense. And he generated some of his offense on offensive boards, but a good 6-8ppg of his were pick and rolls where he got the ball in a dunking position from Ja. Some of that will be replicated by Adams.

17 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Adams will go back to 12-13 ppg in this offense with no plays ran for him. Before his disaster season last year (New Orleans was a wreck), he has always had comparable advanced stats to JV (WS, VORP, plus minus) and more importantly he doesn't become a target against good teams or in the playoffs. 

Agree with you both and I see not enough fans are familiar with Adams game.    They keep focusing on losing JV and not that we picked up Adams.    The fact that he won't demand the ball on offense is why i believe his fit will ultimately be better.   He also can operate in a faster paced offense much easier than JV could.  He is more versatile on defense too and won't be glued to the paint like JV.   

As far as fit IMHO i think we completely won that trade.   NOP is selling JV like he is some floor spacer, when in reality he is gonna need the ball to really have an impact.   Whereas Adams is fine setting hard screens, protecting rim, and grabbing boards or boxing out.   He is way more used to playing with a PG like Ja than JV was.     I dont see how JV and Zion can coexist. 

I have a hard time seeing anyone wanting Bledsoe unless its the Knicks.  It would be much much easier just flipping Tyus and keeping him as backup if he wasnt such a headcase. 

Dragic appears likely to head to Toronto in such an agreement, which sources around the league expect to include Precious Achiuwa. There is a belief among rival executives that both Dragic and Achiuwa could be rerouted elsewhere in subsequent trades. And while the Heat still seem focused on finding a path to bring on DeMar DeRozan as well, that does not sound like a requirement for Lowry to join Miami.

Maybe we can sneak into that rumored TOR MIA Lowry deal.     See if they are willing to give us Dragic for Bledsoe+Grayson.   Bledsoe could be a decent fit in TOR as a low-rent Kyle Lowry. Grayson gives them shooting.  I don't want Achiuwa. 

We'll see how well we do considering how much we relied on JV this last year. JJJ and Adams got big shoes to fill. 

Anyways there's murmurs about the Mavs getting in on a 3 way Lowry trade. Heat get Lowry, Mavs get Dragic, Raps get Achiwua and two of Powell/Green/Terry. Trying to get more info but no dice so far.

Apparently Tobias Harris is available. Bledsoe and Kyle give them theoretically plenty of defense and enough offense. They still have whatever they can get back from a Simmons trade. We'd have to add something else obviously, but we have assets. 

Tobias would be an awesome fit. Good passer (3.5 assists), pretty decent defender, pretty decent rebounder (and that's playing with Embiid and Simmons who are both good rebounders), shot 39% on almost 4 attempts per game from 3. He'd replace the offense we will miss from JV leaving, while not being able to be played off the floor in the playoffs. He would be great next to Jaren in the frontcourt, and help us play more 5 out offense. He's just a smart player and a good teammate. Contract isn't good, but it's not the end of the world either and it's the type of overpay we'd have to do on a free agent of a similar quality. 

Just now, Rdk4121 said:

Apparently Tobias Harris is available. Bledsoe and Kyle give them theoretically plenty of defense and enough offense. They still have whatever they can get back from a Simmons trade. We'd have to add something else obviously, but we have assets. 

Tobias would be an awesome fit. Good passer (3.5 assists), pretty decent defender, pretty decent rebounder (and that's playing with Embiid and Simmons who are both good rebounders), shot 39% on almost 4 attempts per game from 3. He'd replace the offense we will miss from JV leaving, while not being able to be played off the floor in the playoffs. He would be great next to Jaren in the frontcourt, and help us play more 5 out offense. He's just a smart player and a good teammate. Contract isn't good, but it's not the end of the world either and it's the type of overpay we'd have to do on a free agent of a similar quality. 

uhmm no thanks.   That would be a win now move and interfere with ZW development path.  I'd rather keep Kyle than taking on Tobias contract.  

Dillon and Kyle are the longest tenured Grizz - i have no issue with keeping Kyle going forward.    Decision need to be made around Melton, Grayson, Tyus, and Bledsoe IMHO.

Mavs probably gonna strike out in FA too.  I can see Bledsoe being a good fit next to Luka.   It is crazy how they are not really a FA destination in spite having won a championship and in a good market. 

10 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

uhmm no thanks.   That would be a win now move and interfere with ZW development path.  I'd rather keep Kyle than taking on Tobias contract.  

Dillon and Kyle are the longest tenured Grizz - i have no issue with keeping Kyle going forward.    Decision need to be made around Melton, Grayson, Tyus, and Bledsoe IMHO.

Well that is a decision made on Bledsoe. I have no issue keeping Kyle. He's a good player, but tobias is better. Now, he's certainly overpaid don't get me wrong. I'm not sure how it interferes with ZW development. I don't think they plan on ZW being a PF by any means. He can easily play next to tobias. 

1 minute ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I liked Dorsey. Hopefully be improved on his defense, but he was a decent player off the bench for us. If he has improved on his 3 point shooting, he could be a Bryn Forbes type player. We don't have any roster spots though. 

3 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Well that is a decision made on Bledsoe. I have no issue keeping Kyle. He's a good player, but tobias is better. Now, he's certainly overpaid don't get me wrong. I'm not sure how it interferes with ZW development. I don't think they plan on ZW being a PF by any means. He can easily play next to tobias. 

We can pretty much just stop at Tobias is overpaid.     Rather keep Kyle who is better fit and won't be severely overpaid.   Tobias would need to play SF too. 

43 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

I think if JJJ had shown he was a clear #2 guy already, I’d be more open to it. As it is, I feel like Tobias is the kind of move you make to round out a serious contender’s roster whereas I think at this point we’re a play-in bubble type team for this season. 

On 7/31/2021 at 5:55 PM, The J Crew said:

Do we have an open roster spot to sign anyone?

See the source image

46 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

We can pretty much just stop at Tobias is overpaid.     Rather keep Kyle who is better fit and won't be severely overpaid.   Tobias would need to play SF too. 

Why do you think he needs to play SF? He's barely played any SF in the last few years, and according to Basketball-reference, he spent no time at SF. He's pretty much a PF at the point only, probably can play a little small ball 5. I don't see how Kyle is a better fit at all. They're pretty similar, Kyle is a better defender, Tobias is a better offensive player. Both are good passers and good rebounders, but Tobias is a better 3 point shooter. 

The only real issue is contract, Tobias is better, but he's not 3x times better like his contract would indicate. The only good part is he's under contract, where Kyle will be a free agent next year. We'll have plenty of room to sign him, but that does play a part for sure. 

32 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Why do you think he needs to play SF? He's barely played any SF in the last few years, and according to Basketball-reference, he spent no time at SF. He's pretty much a PF at the point only, probably can play a little small ball 5. I don't see how Kyle is a better fit at all. They're pretty similar, Kyle is a better defender, Tobias is a better offensive player. Both are good passers and good rebounders, but Tobias is a better 3 point shooter. 

The only real issue is contract, Tobias is better, but he's not 3x times better like his contract would indicate. The only good part is he's under contract, where Kyle will be a free agent next year. We'll have plenty of room to sign him, but that does play a part for sure. 

Because FO was willing to move on from Jonas for fear that he would command a 18+M contract so why in the world would they take on Tobias 35+m annually deal?     Tobias is better but for the cost Kyle is better.   We aren't gonna make any win now moves this season especially for 29y old dudes.