BigHunkALove

Grizzlies/NBA trade deadline 2021 and beyond

57 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

FO isn't picking up anyone that is going to hamper the development of Z or Jaren.   In other words we aren't grabbing any of the "names".   We don't have any roster spots so we aren't signing anyone.   I am looking at Knicks, Pellies and Bulls as potential landing spots for Tyus.  The are all in the market for a PG so may be interested in renting him. 

Still waiting to see what kind of deal Yves Pons signs and what is going on with Tillie. 

Unless we can get a lot back for Tyus I would rather keep him.  He might be the difference between a 6th seed or 7th seed and being on the wrong side of the 10th seed.

Melton might be a better trade option.  I can see the Knicks liking him.  Or, maybe the Pistons.  Detroit might try to play some Melton/Cade back courts where Cade runs the show but Melton guards the other team's point guards -- he could back up Killian Hayes.

I would LOVE to get Donte Inferno.  Would Melton/Grayson be enough???  Great defender, great motor, good rebounder for a guard, didn't score a ton but that might just have been a function of his role in the offense.  Ja/Donte could be a super fun duo in small ball lineups.

I would trade Melton/Grayson/2 second rounders for Donte Inferno and either Jordan Nwora or Sam Merrill.  

1 hour ago, ALT GRIND said:

Unless we can get a lot back for Tyus I would rather keep him.  He might be the difference between a 6th seed or 7th seed and being on the wrong side of the 10th seed.

Melton might be a better trade option.  I can see the Knicks liking him.  Or, maybe the Pistons.  Detroit might try to play some Melton/Cade back courts where Cade runs the show but Melton guards the other team's point guards -- he could back up Killian Hayes.

I would LOVE to get Donte Inferno.  Would Melton/Grayson be enough???  Great defender, great motor, good rebounder for a guard, didn't score a ton but that might just have been a function of his role in the offense.  Ja/Donte could be a super fun duo in small ball lineups.

I would trade Melton/Grayson/2 second rounders for Donte Inferno and either Jordan Nwora or Sam Merrill.  

What does Donte do better than melton? Melton shot better from the field, better from 3, and better from the free throw line. Per 36, Melton averaged more points, steals, blocks, and assists. Donte had more rebounds, less turnovers, and slightly less fouls (but neither really foul). Melton had a higher Defensive and offensive box Plus/Minus as well. 

If you like Donte, you're going to love this Melton kid. Donte isn't much better than Grayson honestly. Donte doesn't solve anything for us really. 

45 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

What does Donte do better than melton? Melton shot better from the field, better from 3, and better from the free throw line. Per 36, Melton averaged more points, steals, blocks, and assists. Donte had more rebounds, less turnovers, and slightly less fouls (but neither really foul). Melton had a higher Defensive and offensive box Plus/Minus as well. 

If you like Donte, you're going to love this Melton kid. Donte isn't much better than Grayson honestly. Donte doesn't solve anything for us really. 

Donte is more of a 2 guard than Melton... and he helps consolidate players on our team.  

I feel like Donte Inferno is a better ball handler, more explosive and has more POTENTIAL as a scorer -- but I could be wrong.

Donte Inferno could help us replace Melton, Grayson AND Jon Konchar.  Good fit with our primary core of Ja/Jaren/Dillon and our SECONDARY core of ZW/Bane/BC/XT.

I am assuming that if we trade Tyus we either get a veteran point guard back in the trade -- or sign one in free agency.  I am also assuming that we DRAFT a point guard in the 2022 draft.  

Melton ain't a point guard on offense -- although he is point guard sized.  And he can only guard 1's.  Can't play him with Ja or even him with Tyus (off the bench).  

8 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Donte is more of a 2 guard than Melton... and he helps consolidate players on our team.  

I feel like Donte Inferno is a better ball handler, more explosive and has more POTENTIAL as a scorer -- but I could be wrong.

Donte Inferno could help us replace Melton, Grayson AND Jon Konchar.  Good fit with our primary core of Ja/Jaren/Dillon and our SECONDARY core of ZW/Bane/BC/XT.

I am assuming that if we trade Tyus we either get a veteran point guard back in the trade -- or sign one in free agency.  I am also assuming that we DRAFT a point guard in the 2022 draft.  

Melton ain't a point guard on offense -- although he is point guard sized.  And he can only guard 1's.  Can't play him with Ja or even him with Tyus (off the bench).  

Melton can certainly guard 2s, with his 6-9 wingspan, in fact that's all he guards right now. He always plays with Tyus or Ja, who only guard the point guards right now. Donte might be a better ball handler I guess, but he's certainly not a point guard by any means. 

He's just a slightly worse Melton, who we already have under contract for 3 more years. If anything, Melton needs to be starting. He's a better scorer than the other two, better defender, better passer, none of them handle the ball that well, he's just as good of a shooter as well. He doesn't have ideal size, but he makes up for it in defensive efficiency. Melton and Donte are very similar in many respects, Donte doesn't fit any better than melton, Grayson, Konchar, or Bane. 

9 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Grayson and Melton are both better than Divincenzo by stats and the eye test and they've all been in the NBA 3 years. Look, you got infatuated with him because he was on fire in the NC game for 'Nova but the guy isn't what you think he is.

46 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

Grayson and Melton are both better than Divincenzo by stats and the eye test and they've all been in the NBA 3 years. Look, you got infatuated with him because he was on fire in the NC game for 'Nova but the guy isn't what you think he is.

Donte is who I think he is.  Melton is who I think he is too.

If Donte is a better ball handler, a better rebounder AND taller (but not as long), then he MIGHT be a better fit with Ja and Tyus (or whoever our backup point guard will be).  Probably both are similar athletes, I think Donte Inferno is a bit more explosive.

At the very least I would try to shop Grayson Allen/Konchar/2nd rounder for Donte Inferno.  Seems like a solid toolsy guard.  Even if his scoring never really comes around, and even if he is more of a tweener/combo guard than a guy you can play at the 1 (kinda like Melton).

I see us trading for a backup pg, a combo guard type, and waiving Bledsoe. I know this is a fantasy scenario, but I would love if we could trade for Bagley + James instead and keep Bledsoe just for a year. 

Sacramento is the type of team that waste talent and dont devolop their young guys well. James can be a solid sg/sf spark of the bench and Bagley is a bigger version of B Clarke, not a stretch big like they play him. Also, he is longer and a better rebounder than Clarke is, the only problemn is that both are terrible on the D end.

Bledsoe is not that much upgrade over Tyus, but he is a upgrade nonetherless, a better defender and has more size than Tyus too, so he can play more next to Ja and Melton. Other thing is that I dont get the idea of waiving and paying a player so he can join a other team. Bledsoe was the starting pg for a good team in the 2020 Bucks, so he would be great for us as a backup, special in a contract year like he is.

Listening to a Grizz podcast and someone crying on there  about JV getting traded and thinking we will automatically become trash. Because they cannot see us replicating his low post scoring.  Really makes me question if ppl have been paying attention to Grizz Org.   

JV is a solid player BUT he was never the future of the franchise.   This was his BEST season in his 8yr career and he only averaged 17ppg.   This person was questioning if we can depend on Jaren to reproduce JV output - when Jaren literally avg 17ppg in his sophomore season.    Then being worried Jaren cannot produce the rebounding is a moot point because we picked up Adams.   

He acknowledged Adams is a better defender and JV was useless in Playoffs but still graded the trade bad because we traded our 2nd best player!?!?   We swapped offense for defense in order to maximize Ja and Jaren.   This was never Jonas's team, he was a role player for Ja and Jaren.    Nothing wrong with that. 

1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Listening to a Grizz podcast and someone crying on there  about JV getting traded and thinking we will automatically become trash. Because they cannot see us replicating his low post scoring.  Really makes me question if ppl have been paying attention to Grizz Org.   

JV is a solid player BUT he was never the future of the franchise.   This was his BEST season in his 8yr career and he only averaged 17ppg.   This person was questioning if we can depend on Jaren to reproduce JV output - when Jaren literally avg 17ppg in his sophomore season.    Then being worried Jaren cannot produce the rebounding is a moot point because we picked up Adams.   

He acknowledged Adams is a better defender and JV was useless in Playoffs but still graded the trade bad because we traded our 2nd best player!?!?   We swapped offense for defense in order to maximize Ja and Jaren.   This was never Jonas's team, he was a role player for Ja and Jaren.    Nothing wrong with that. 

If Adams was someone like Vucevic I think it would be a better fit next to Jaren, but they might be thinking in forcing Jaren into a 5 more than trying to find a future 5 to play next to him. In that scenario I also see Tillman/Jaren frontcourt looking better than Clarke/Jaren one.

8 minutes ago, Ja_Rules said:

If Adams was someone like Vucevic I think it would be a better fit next to Jaren, but they might be thinking in forcing Jaren into a 5 more than trying to find a future 5 to play next to him. In that scenario I also see Tillman/Jaren frontcourt looking better than Clarke/Jaren one.

I literally couldn't disagree more.  Vucevic is almost exactly like JV as in he needs the ball on offense and is a defensive liability.   The name of the game is floor spacing and PickNroll defense.  VucciMane gets exposed every PO's too. 

We have consistently said that Jaren just needs to be paired with a Rebounding Big (PF or C).  Adams is a good rebounder and solid big man defender and doesn't demand the ball on offense.   That is a much better fit with Jaren and Ja. 

34 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yeah we turned the team over to Ja/Jaren (and Dillon), moved up in the draft, cut ties with Winslow and gained a LOL Lakers protected first round pick.  Not bad.

7 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Yeah we turned the team over to Ja/Jaren (and Dillon), moved up in the draft, cut ties with Winslow and gained a LOL Lakers protected first round pick.  Not bad.

Agreed. 

28 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I literally couldn't disagree more.  Vucevic is almost exactly like JV as in he needs the ball on offense and is a defensive liability.   The name of the game is floor spacing and PickNroll defense.  VucciMane gets exposed every PO's too. 

We have consistently said that Jaren just needs to be paired with a Rebounding Big (PF or C).  Adams is a good rebounder and solid big man defender and doesn't demand the ball on offense.   That is a much better fit with Jaren and Ja. 

Let me correct myself, you are right in the sense that he is not the perfect fit, but Adams is not a solid PnR defender either, Turner is the bigman we need like I stated several times.

59 minutes ago, Ja_Rules said:

Let me correct myself, you are right in the sense that he is not the perfect fit, but Adams is not a solid PnR defender either, Turner is the bigman we need like I stated several times.

No, Adams is the big man we need for now actually. 

2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Useless in the playoffs maybe....but you have to make the playoffs to begin with. JV was a needed part of that. Unless they make a significant move via FA or trade they ain't making the playoffs this year.

They're banking on taking a step back this year to take a leap forward the next. Hope it works.

With all the unknow around Lillard and the situation surround the Blazers, and since they already declined Collins options, I think this could be a fair trade for both teams. They upgrade their bench and we get a player that help us win games and improve our run from last season. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yg4qb2ng

Give them a top 5 protected pick.

Why for us? We add more 3&D and size to our wing rotation.

Why for them? They are probably trading Lillard anyway, so they get good assets.

Sign Olynyk or Portis to a 3 year with the 3rd being a team option.

Ja/Bledsoe

Ziaire/Melton/Bane/Konchar/Weems(TW)

Dillon/Covington

Jaren/SlowMo/Tillman/Tillie/Pons(TW)

Adams/Portis

This team would be good this year, really depth/balanced and hunting for the 7th or 8th seed, but probably play in material. Also  if everybody devolop and master their roles,  we could be great in a year or 2.

36 minutes ago, Ja_Rules said:

With all the unknow around Lillard and the situation surround the Blazers, and since they already declined Collins options, I think this could be a fair trade for both teams. They upgrade their bench and we get a player that help us win games and improve our run from last season. 

Why for them? They are probably trading Lillard anyway, so they get good assets.

Ja/Bledsoe

Dillon/Covington

Adams/Portis

This team would be good this year, really depth/balanced and hunting for the 7th or 8th seed, but probably play in material. Also  if everybody devolop and master their roles,  we could be great in a year or 2.

Because anytime you can trade 3 rotation players on decent contracts for a soon to be 31 year old who last year averaged 8.5 points and 6.7 rebounds while shooting only 40% from the field, having his worst season since his rookie year, well, you just gotta do it. 

I don't see Adams starting next to Jaren, or if he does, one of them is going to the bench early so they can play the rest of the time on staggered minutes. Coach and the FO see Jaren as a center, and I expect them to play him at center a ton. You saw it in the jazz series, after the first game or two, they knew they were far better off staggering JV and Jaren's minutes then playing them together. BC also probably factors in somewhere. I doubt they want him playing next to Adams, as that doesn't seem like a fit at all, though Kyle should work well enough with him just like he did with JV. 

Hypothetically I think Jaren and Kyle start at the 4 and 5, with Brandon replacing Kyle as the first sub. When Jaren is subbed out for Adams, Kyle checks back in with Adams. Then they play those two pairings pretty much the rest of the way until closing time. The BC/ Jaren and Kyle/ Adams pairings seem to work best on paper. 

1 hour ago, Ja_Rules said:

Ja/Bledsoe

Dillon/Covington

Adams/Portis

geez, this is a really terrible trade

2 hours ago, cdp said:

Useless in the playoffs maybe....but you have to make the playoffs to begin with. JV was a needed part of that. Unless they make a significant move via FA or trade they ain't making the playoffs this year.

They're banking on taking a step back this year to take a leap forward the next. Hope it works.

So you are saying without JVs 17ppg we can't make the playoffs?..... If that is true then we may as well just tank and trade everyone then hope to get a SuperSTar in the draft to get us over the top.   Because obviously JV is more important to winning than a healthy Ja and Jaren.    If you say his rebounding is the difference then let me introduce you to Steven Adams. 

I don't think they are banking on taking a step back - i think they are willing to risk taking a slight one.  Personally, i saw JV as a cog in the engine whereas some of y'all treating him like he was the entire car.  

If the team falls apart without JV then we truly need to flush this experiment and start over.  SO far  we have only loss JV and Justise from last years team.  Thats all.  I think we will be fine. 

1 hour ago, The J Crew said:

Because anytime you can trade 3 rotation players on decent contracts for a soon to be 31 year old who last year averaged 8.5 points and 6.7 rebounds while shooting only 40% from the field, having his worst season since his rookie year, well, you just gotta do it. 

1 hour ago, grizz09 said:

geez, this is a really terrible trade

34 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Sheesh!!  Sure is!

You guys are underestimanting 3 things: the role he will play here of the bench against being a starter, the fit he will have as a bench player around 3 other plus defenders and that it will be his contract year in before probably his last big contract. 

5 minutes ago, Ja_Rules said:

You guys are underestimanting 3 things: the role he will play here of the bench against being a starter, the fit he will have as a bench player around 3 other plus defenders and that it will be his contract year in before probably his last big contract. 

RoCo’s last big contract days are over. 

40 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

RoCo’s last big contract days are over. 

He deserve a SlowMo / Jae Crowder type of contract in my opinion. Between the 5 ideas I proposed, trading for: Grant (Pistons), Brogdon (Pacers), White (Spurs), James and Bagley (Kings) and Roco (Blazers). This last one is probably the easist to make, maybe we should add more protection to the pick 

6 hours ago, Ja_Rules said:

Ja/Bledsoe

Dillon/Covington

Adams/Portis

So you want to trade Tyus + Grayson + Brandon Clarke and a Top 5 protected first round pick for Robert Covington. Am I understanding that correctly? I wouldn't trade BC for Covington straight up and I'm not even that high on him at the moment. These trades are so outrageously one sided for the other team. They'd have to give us a pick for me to consider this trade. 

This is the kind of trade a contending team might make. Like the Lakers or Bucks, Phillly, etc. They need another piece or two to get it together so they go all in throw some picks at the other team to upgrade. We're not there yet at all.