BigHunkALove

Grizzlies/NBA trade deadline 2021 and beyond

There was an article on ESPN website about the 2021 trade deadline and it had an updated full list of every restricted, available player broken up into 3 categories: expirings, long term deals, and players still carrying trade restrictions. I looked at it on my phone this morning, but tried to look at it now on the computer and its been moved to ESPN+ and paywalled . However if you look at this link, the Aussie ESPN site, the article and the lists are visible:

https://www.espn.com.au/nba/insider/story/_/id/30668984/nba-trade-deadline-2021-lists-every-restricted-available-player

Much of who is realistically or theoretically gettable has already been raised in other threads (e.g.Otto Porter, LaVine, etc)

Are we gonna make any moves at the deadline?

Are we gonna go after any free agents?

38 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

There was an article on ESPN website about the 2021 trade deadline and it had an updated full list of every restricted, available player broken up into 3 categories: expirings, long term deals, and players still carrying trade restrictions. I looked at it on my phone this morning, but tried to look at it now on the computer and its been moved to ESPN+ and paywalled . However if you look at this link, the Aussie ESPN site, the article and the lists are visible:

https://www.espn.com.au/nba/insider/story/_/id/30668984/nba-trade-deadline-2021-lists-every-restricted-available-player

Much of who is realistically or theoretically gettable has already been raised in other threads (e.g.Otto Porter, LaVine, etc)

Are we gonna make any moves at the deadline?

Are we gonna go after any free agents?

Lavine, or Evan 

I’ve been saying Beal for a while now 

The first question to be asked is who is a definite keeper and who is not. For me,

PG Ja

SG: Desmond, Konchar (backups)

PF: Jaren, Brandon

😄 Jonas, Xavier, Jaren

Are the following mid to long term keepers?

Dillon, DeAnthony, Tyus, Grayson?

With Tyus: Not enamoured with him, much rather have a good vet backup PG with more height and better 3pt%

Winslow: if he can't get on the court by ASB, and not miss anymore games through injury, and show something - No

Anderson: Again, not enamoured with him, A trade candidate, IMO we can find better for comparable money, even with the trade kicker

Dieng: trade candidate or fall off the books

With that in mind, I'm looking at the following:

Expiring: Could be had for cheaper in FA if overpriced but may not wanna come; if already cheap, may need to increase current earnings:

PG:

Majic Mike -  $34.5mil (would need to take Tyus money)

Patty Mills - $13.5mil (would need to take Tyus money)

SG:

Danny Green -  $15.5mil

Alec Burks - $6mil

Terrence Davis $1.6mil 

Malik Monk - $5.5mil

SF:

Otto Porter - $28.5mil

Kelly Oubre Jr - $14.4mil

Long term deals:

Would need to trade for them, probably have to give up 1sts, may not be available anyway

SG: 

Bradley Beal - $29mil, 3 years+ player option left on contract

Zach LaVine - $19.5 mil, 2 years left

SF:

TJ Warren $12mil, 2 years left

Josh Richardson $11 mil, 1 year plus player option

The only ones that could be a difference maker are Beal, LaVine (prefer Beal), also maybe Richardson at SF if Winslow doesn't work out.

I'd love to get Mikal Bridges but no way in Hades does Suns let him go.

I saw on twitter a roster comparison to the Core 4 roster a few months ago. Can't remember but it was something like this:

JJJ = Conley (top 5 pick)

Brooks = Gasol (late 2nd)

Morant = Mayo (top 5 pick)

Clarke = Arthur (20s pick)

Valanciunas = Randolph (traded vet) 

Winslow = .....Xavier Henry

? = Gay (top 10 pick)

? = TA (free agent)

So we're still missing one more lottery pick and free agent. Maybe we already have them on the team in Winslow and Anderson. Remains to be seen but atleast if Kyle keeps playing like this he's probably sticking around. Really hope we get to see the team in action fully healthy this year.

Now if it ends up being someone we trade for I'm liking Lavine the more I think about it. He's this generation's JRich. Perfect to have as your #3/4 guy. If all it took to get him was Kyle/Allen/Dieng/picks I'd do it today depending on the picks.

14 hours ago, Allen said:

I’ve been saying Beal for a while now 

I think Beal costs is too much in terms of players. Beal is cool and all but I’d rather keep as many of our core young guys as possible and see if they can develop to another level. Now whatever we can get for Dieng Anderson and Grayson is fine with me though I like Grayson.

I think Otto Porter is someone they could get for Dieng and Anderson and not too much draft capital. Don’t know if that would be considered a good move or not since they really need a guy who can create his own shot and get buckets 

3 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

I think Beal costs is too much in terms of players. Beal is cool and all but I’d rather keep as many of our core young guys as possible and see if they can develop to another level. Now whatever we can get for Dieng Anderson and Grayson is fine with me though I like Grayson.

I think Otto Porter is someone they could get for Dieng and Anderson and not too much draft capital. Don’t know if that would be considered a good move or not since they really need a guy who can create his own shot and get buckets 

We're not going to get Beal. If he gets traded, which I doubt, he will go to a big market team.

Porter is definitely "gettable". When healthy, Carter, Markkanen and rookie Patrick Williams are the frontcourt. Bulls caught paying a backup $28.5M. Would they want a contract that extends into next year with Kyle? I doubt it. But Dieng is obviously movable for us, so you have the framework of a deal. 

Another Porter is available, that is Kevin Porter Jr. Apparently the Cavs want to dump him because of an outburst he had. We've had great success at rebuilding players careers here. 

1 minute ago, Rdk4121 said:

Another Porter is available, that is Kevin Porter Jr. Apparently the Cavs want to dump him because of an outburst he had. We've had great success at rebuilding players careers here. 

No way. He doesn't fit our ethic or culture at all. Same reason Dion Waiters never stepped foot in our locker room.

And Porter is not good enough to make an exception. He had all kinds of off the court questions going into the '19 draft, was suspended by USC, also for conduct issues. As was said in the NBA thread, knuckleheads gonna knucklehead.

2 hours ago, The Stro Show said:

Id bring Porter on and treat him exactly how we did with Josh Jackson. Make him prove it in the gleague. 

They shouldn’t have treated Jackson like that they should have just waived him if they weren’t going to use him.... I rather they just stay away from the Cleveland Porter who would they send away to add him to the wing rotation anyways?

Here’s my theory with trading for a sure thing talent on the wing now or in the future.The Grizz are just in year two of the Ja Morant rebuild era and yet they are already a fringe playoff team. 

At this moment I’d only be willing to trade Dieng, Anderson, JV ( if the deal is worth it), Winslow and Dillon (if there was an upgrade coming in). Grayson is kinda a push don’t think he holds too much value either way. 

I don’t think the team should be making all in trades this soon when they haven’t found out what the roster is actually capable of so if they can get a deal done with guys that aren’t really apart of the future then that’s fine.

4 hours ago, The Stro Show said:

Id bring Porter on and treat him exactly how we did with Josh Jackson. Make him prove it in the gleague. 

I was thinking that exact same thing

1 hour ago, Ndq0327 said:

They shouldn’t have treated Jackson like that they should have just waived him if they weren’t going to use him.... I rather they just stay away from the Cleveland Porter who would they send away to add him to the wing rotation anyways?

I would offer 2 seconds, or pick him up off waivers

Porter is a real hot head and only a street all player.  He is even worse than Josh emotionally. 

14 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Porter is a real hot head and only a street all player.  He is even worse than Josh emotionally. 

Josh never seemed to have an issue with the team,  its was his off court crap,  Porter can play, just gotta get his head in the game. Putting him on a gleauge squad might humble him, or not, but it is at least worth a discussion I think

31 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

Josh never seemed to have an issue with the team,  its was his off court crap,  Porter can play, just gotta get his head in the game. Putting him on a gleauge squad might humble him, or not, but it is at least worth a discussion I think

Want no part of Kevin Porter Jr. We need top end talent not entitled projects. He also needs to be around tough spirited vets. Jae Crowder would have been a perfect mentor for him. But nevertheless we are not the spot for him he is a future dribble dribble star. 

1 hour ago, toocoolkellz said:

Dude is nuts. It's why he fell to 27th in the first place and none of the top of the line programs like UK, Duke, UNC, Kansas would take a chance on a 5 star recruit. That "last chance" stuff don't work on guys like this, they just too gone. His attitude has already cost him millions in draft stock and he still acts a fool. 

I mean the guy is on the verge of getting CUT in the second year from one of the most talent deficient teams in the league. How bad do you think this guy really is on a day to day basis? 

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

Dude is nuts. It's why he fell to 27th in the first place and none of the top of the line programs like UK, Duke, UNC, Kansas would take a chance on a 5 star recruit. That "last chance" stuff don't work on guys like this, they just too gone. His attitude has already cost him millions in draft stock and he still acts a fool. 

I mean the guy is on the verge of getting CUT in the second year from one of the most talent deficient teams in the league. How bad do you think this guy really is on a day to day basis? 

He fell to 30th, but your point is the same, he's nuts.

Our Front Office will have no interest in Kevin Porter. The question is why some of you would want him?

Sam Amico has reported that the latest event that set Porter off, moving his locker, was because the locker room was re-arranged to meet the new, stricter Covid spacing protocols. Remember, Porter hasn't played a second this reason for 'personal reasons', got back to the Cavs on Friday, and is already going nuts in the locker room and cussing out the GM.

From an article today by Spencer Davies:  https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/nba-rumors-cleveland-cavaliers-expected-to-move-kevin-porter-jr-locker-room-outburst

• In August of 2020, he was accused of punching a woman in the face.
  • In November of 2020, he was arrested following a one-car crash and had a loaded handgun in the vehicle. 

Here's the article from The Athletic today that broke the story: https://theathletic.com/2329971/2021/01/18/kevin-porter-jr-cleveland-cavaliers-trade-release/?source=emp_shared_article

He is a knucklehead, at best. Safest rule in sports are that knuckleheads will act like knuckleheads. Hardest of passes. 

4 hours ago, Dwash said:

I've been around crazy all my life,  it even ended with my uncle's murder by hanging back in 84. I'm not really loose with the term "crazy." The likelihood is he has a chemical imbalance causing him to be bi-polar. If properly treated hell could be fine. Even still I could see giving him the Josh treatment,  if it doesn't work out we lost a couple thousand, IMHO under the right circumstances it could work out

i have zero interest in him and i wanted to draft him initially.   His level of knuckleheadness outweighs his talent level.  

As we see chemistry is extremely important with a young squad so would be foolish to disrupt ours.     This draft class is loaded with wings lets just trust the FO to work their magic again. 

I found this Bleacher report about "should" trade for, for every team in the NBA.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2926041-every-nba-teams-2021-trade-deadline-target-list

Firstly, I'll say it's BS, the main reason is because "little" teams like Memphis get disrespected, because they don't say Beal, McCollum or LaVine for us, even though these are mentioned for bigger market teams.

The two things that interested me though, about the article was

a) a couple of Grizzlies are mentioned that other teams should trade for:

Kyle - Boston, Lakers, Portland

Jonas - Charlotte, Wizards

b) the players they mentioned for us to trade for are:

- Miles Bridges - Duuuuhhh - no brainer but no way Charlotte does this

- Kevin Huerter - interesting proposition, never really gave it much thought before

- Frankie Ntilikina - GTFO here

What are your thoughts?

21 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

i have zero interest in him and i wanted to draft him initially.   His level of knuckleheadness outweighs his talent level.  

As we see chemistry is extremely important with a young squad so would be foolish to disrupt ours.     This draft class is loaded with wings lets just trust the FO to work their magic again. 

We have a ton of rotation wings, hopefully we can find someone who's a starter/star level. Looks like that'll have to come through trades, let's see how the front office does in this aspect.