King Dork

2021 I wish these dudes were playing for the Grizzlies top 5

56 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

The problem with giving great value to the Dieng contract is there just aren't many teams salary dumping anymore. Most teams are trying to win this year, and the 9/10 play in spots will keep more teams in the running. Want Kevin Love's contract? Nope,. But that's the kind of contract that will be out there.

Most of those guys don't move the needle at all. I'm out on Oubre.

Conley is the one I've been thinking about. Utah has spent themselves into the tax with Gobert getting $40M per. What about a 3 year/$30M MLEish offer for Mike to come home with a team option on year 3? Mike will turn 34 just before next season starts.

Otto is off to a good start this year, he's the other I'd have some interest in. 

Porter is a beast of a role player.  Guards 3 spots, lights out spot shooter.  And his injury history isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. 

7 hours ago, The J Crew said:

The problem with giving great value to the Dieng contract is there just aren't many teams salary dumping anymore. Most teams are trying to win this year, and the 9/10 play in spots will keep more teams in the running. Want Kevin Love's contract? Nope,. But that's the kind of contract that will be out there.

Most of those guys don't move the needle at all. I'm out on Oubre.

Conley is the one I've been thinking about. Utah has spent themselves into the tax with Gobert getting $40M per. What about a 3 year/$30M MLEish offer for Mike to come home with a team option on year 3? Mike will turn 34 just before next season starts.

Otto is off to a good start this year, he's the other I'd have some interest in. 

My issue with keeping both Dieng and Anderson is impact. We are obviously going young so what type of minutes will these guys be able to play when the team is healthy? 

The Straters are locked in. 

Starters

Ja, Dillon, Justice, JJJ, JV

If we have a deep rotation it’ll be 8 dudes getting meaningful minutes. But we have more than 3 dudes now in the same talent range to compete for minutes off the bench. 

Tyus & BC are rotation locks, and if you want to add Kyle to that and make 8 I’m 100% down for it. But at some point we have to consolidate Dieng, Konchar, Grayson, Bane, Melton into a player who’s talent level is at or above those first 3. I just feel like the easiest way to get that done is with Kyle’s contract. I wouldn’t give up Dieng because he is an expiring contract and we can do damage this off-season in my opinion, and on the wing I believe in Bane’s potential enough to bet that he can raise his level to that of Kyle. Kyle’s contract plus the Utah pick can get us an impact player.

Imagine trading Kyle for Otto Porter moving Dillon to the bench to be our streak scorer and a starting lineup of Ja, Justice, Porter, JJJ, JV with Tyus, Dillon, Bane,BC off the bench. That’s a strong 9 man rotation, excellent defense on the wings as well as shooting to space the floor. That gives us the opportunity to go big game hunting in Free Agency (Oladipo & Andre Drummond), take a swing in the draft and have multiple young mid-level assets to go big game hunting via trade in the future. 

I wouldn’t trade him for late firsts or young potential guys tho. 

13 hours ago, Zappastache said:

Dieng's expiring is huge. Y'all think there is a player who is getting paid big money next year that a team would prefer not to continue to pay? One that we would be willing to take? 

We've discussed Lavine, but Chicago won't and shouldn't trade one of their two best players with that dumpster fire of a roster they have. One off the wall thought I had was Rozier. He makes $18M next year and would be an expiring if he didn't work out. We need a real dynamic guard to pair with Ja. Maybe we can just hope Bane is that guy but we will have cap to use either way and someone for that SG position is who I'd hope they target. Will Barton? They might trade him. Aaron Gordon? Doubt Orlando wants to get rid of him. 

Have to weigh the free agent market for our cap versus taking on salary for next year and beyond, but I have a feeling we are going to try to make a move via trade instead of free agency, since the available talent isn't amazing this summer. What free agents are looking at that fit our needs? Any of these?

Conley

Otto Porter

Spencer Dinwiddie (he has a player option for next year he'd probably turn down)

Derozan

Oladipo (I'd be scared to be the one to pay him $150M or whatever)

Tim Hardaway Jr

Danny Green

Kelly Oubre (interesting)

Patty Mills 

JJ Reddick

Lou Will

PJ Tucker

I think the decision to try to trade Dieng or others and take on salary is tough. 

I will go Mike without any hesitation. First he will be back home and he still can play at high level for the next 2 or 3 years. Add one good pick ( guy who can shoot) and if the young guys improved as we expect, then we will be there.

8 hours ago, King Dork said:

My issue with keeping both Dieng and Anderson is impact. We are obviously going young so what type of minutes will these guys be able to play when the team is healthy? 

The Straters are locked in. 

Starters

Ja, Dillon, Justice, JJJ, JV

If we have a deep rotation it’ll be 8 dudes getting meaningful minutes. But we have more than 3 dudes now in the same talent range to compete for minutes off the bench. 

Tyus & BC are rotation locks, and if you want to add Kyle to that and make 8 I’m 100% down for it. But at some point we have to consolidate Dieng, Konchar, Grayson, Bane, Melton into a player who’s talent level is at or above those first 3. I just feel like the easiest way to get that done is with Kyle’s contract. I wouldn’t give up Dieng because he is an expiring contract and we can do damage this off-season in my opinion, and on the wing I believe in Bane’s potential enough to bet that he can raise his level to that of Kyle. Kyle’s contract plus the Utah pick can get us an impact player.

Imagine trading Kyle for Otto Porter moving Dillon to the bench to be our streak scorer and a starting lineup of Ja, Justice, Porter, JJJ, JV with Tyus, Dillon, Bane,BC off the bench. That’s a strong 9 man rotation, excellent defense on the wings as well as shooting to space the floor. That gives us the opportunity to go big game hunting in Free Agency (Oladipo & Andre Drummond), take a swing in the draft and have multiple young mid-level assets to go big game hunting via trade in the future. 

I wouldn’t trade him for late firsts or young potential guys tho. 

We wouldn't need to trade Kyle for Otto Porter bc Porter is on the last year of his contract and will be a free agent this summer. 

He's definitely one of the wings that I hope the FO is strongly considering.