Sign in to follow this  
bhoyal

Hulu & YouTube TV

Last I heard,  both had lost the rights to show the Grizz and the Preds regionally.  Does anybody know if that is going to stay or will Fox Sports back down and change their mind??

I want to follow this, I dont have anything other than Roku with the cheap Hulu, nothing live.......was thinking about Youtube or Sling when season starts.

Sinclair Broadcasting owns FS regional networks.Normally I would say they would work it out but sounds like Sinclair is playing hardball with everyone and AT&T Now is the only streaming service that carries FoxSports regional. Sounds like once Sinclair bought them, they upped the ante on what they were charging and aren't backing down.

I wouldn't hold my breath, I have YouTubeTV but I have to watch the Grizz via LP so it doesn't affect me. I don't watch it that much anyway.

7 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Sinclair Broadcasting owns FS regional networks.Normally I would say they would work it out but sounds like Sinclair is playing hardball with everyone and AT&T Now is the only streaming service that carries FoxSports regional. Sounds like once Sinclair bought them, they upped the ante on what they were charging and aren't backing down.

I wouldn't hold my breath, I have YouTubeTV but I have to watch the Grizz via LP so it doesn't affect me. I don't watch it that much anyway.

Are you in the Memphis area or Fox Sportssouth footprint?  I didn't think you could watch via Grizzlies on LP (live).

It looks like it will be back to watch XYZ streams.  I'll have LP and a streaming service, but not otherwise be able to watch.

Once the season gets closer, I also expect one of the big streaming services to work out a deal with Sinclair, even if it is for a pay tier like NFL Redzone is on.  There's too many NBA fans that will switch to that service and so the others will follow.

I had YouTube TV last season, and I was able to watch all the Grizzlies' games without any issues, until March when I was on the road, and got a notice from them about not coming to an agreement with FoxSports.  I immediately terminated my subscription.  Grizzlies games are the only thing on TV that I'm interested in watching.  The rest of it stinks.

4 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Are you in the Memphis area or Fox Sportssouth footprint?  I didn't think you could watch via Grizzlies on LP (live).

Nope, Texas

10 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

NBA League Pass is a total rip off.  They want you to pay all that money to see only half the games on TV?  They're crazy if they think I'm going to pay for it.

For the last 3 years, I have paid $25 or $30 to one of the guys on Twitter who sells League Pass access. Venmo the money, he emails or texts a LP username and password. Not as easy as having LP on DirecTV, but it works fine. 

I realize one day it might turn out to be a scam, and I'm out the 25 bucks. 

5 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

For the last 3 years, I have paid $25 or $30 to one of the guys on Twitter who sells League Pass access. Venmo the money, he emails or texts a LP username and password. Not as easy as having LP on DirecTV, but it works fine. 

I realize one day it might turn out to be a scam, and I'm out the 25 bucks. 

Sounds risky. 

2 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Sounds risky. 

Yeah. But it has worked fine. I like on your laptop, you can divide the screen and  put 4 games on at once.

Gave the username and p/w to my son and he used it too. I'm sure it's illegal, but I guess the NBA hasn't cracked down yet. 

If this is true I’m canceling Hulu, that’s the only reason I have it. There are other ways to watch the game, although there are Absurd amounts of pop ups. 

My kids keep saying "Dad, how can you spend $160 a month for Directv?". I tell them I've never had an issue getting all the Grizzlies (and St Louis Cardinals) games. Then they go out to save money by paying $40 monthly to subscribe to 4 or 5 streaming services. Dad wins.

1 hour ago, UofMark said:

My kids keep saying "Dad, how can you spend $160 a month for Directv?". I tell them I've never had an issue getting all the Grizzlies (and St Louis Cardinals) games. Then they go out to save money by paying $40 monthly to subscribe to 4 or 5 streaming services. Dad wins.

Have you tried to renegotiate your current price?  $160 a month seems really high.

The benefit for the streaming services for me is the ability to cancel or downgrade service after the Grizzlies season is over, and not start again until the first week of NFL.   I'm not opposed to DirecTV again, but I'm not going into a 2 year commitment right now with the potential response to COVID to be to shut things down again for 2-4 months.

On 11/24/2020 at 3:54 PM, smit-tay griz said:

NBA League Pass is a total rip off.  They want you to pay all that money to see only half the games on TV?  They're crazy if they think I'm going to pay for it.

Get it how you live playboy. To each his own. I'm fine with it in my entertainment budget.

On 11/24/2020 at 6:30 PM, King Dork said:

If this is true I’m canceling Hulu, that’s the only reason I have it. There are other ways to watch the game, although there are Absurd amounts of pop ups. 

It's true. I mean, you can google it. The only streaming service with Fox Sports Regional is AT&T Now (formerly DirectTV Now) probably due to their larger deal with AT&T/DirecTV or maybe they just paid the higher fee that SInclair is charging.

8 hours ago, UofMark said:

I had DTV for years and then tried Sling TV for a few months and didn't like it so I went back for about 3 years and then I switched to YouTubeTV last year. I have to say, I have no desire to switch back. Too much flexibility. YTTV had the most complete sports package at the time. This doesn't hurt me much as I don't watch much of the local FSRN. It's way cheaper than DTV but I didn't like they fact it increased rates $15 when they added the Viacom channels to YTTV. I

7 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Have you tried to renegotiate your current price?  $160 a month seems really high.

The benefit for the streaming services for me is the ability to cancel or downgrade service after the Grizzlies season is over, and not start again until the first week of NFL.   I'm not opposed to DirecTV again, but I'm not going into a 2 year commitment right now with the potential response to COVID to be to shut things down again for 2-4 months.

Well, the governor of Tennessee said that he would only do a shutdown if the Holy Spirit told him to do so. I spoke to the Holy Spirit, there are no plans for a shutdown in Tennessee.

On 11/25/2020 at 7:07 PM, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Well, the governor of Tennessee said that he would only do a shutdown if the Holy Spirit told him to do so. I spoke to the Holy Spirit, there are no plans for a shutdown in Tennessee.

The governor has no control if the NBA commish decides to put things on pause again or delay things in February or March, especially if governors in California and NY start shutting things down again.

I don't believe that will happen, but I'm hesitant enough to not get back into a 2 year commitment with DirecTV.

I'm curious to see if SInclair or any of these carriers is getting closer to a deal with NBA and NHL fans getting a little antsy.

I'd prefer if Sinclair went to an HBO/Showtime model of just being a paid channel, I'd probably pay up to $12-15 a month, especially if it kept me from having to do further upgrades.

Sinclair = greedy nutjobs.

Their fun will be over on Jan. 20th.  They can go back to forcing local affiliates to air their grievance crap during local news. 

For now.

On 11/24/2020 at 6:30 PM, King Dork said:

Try with brave browser

I'm a bit confused. How is it possible that it's not crystal clear who carries the Grizzlies' games? I would assume whoever had the rights would advertise it to heck and back.

3 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

I'm a bit confused. How is it possible that it's not crystal clear who carries the Grizzlies' games? I would assume whoever had the rights would advertise it to heck and back.

Grizz games are on Fox Sports Tennessee. People know where to watch the games, its a matter of streaming services not carrying the Fox Sports Regional channels right now due to a fee dispute with FSR parent company, Sinclair Broadcasting. Regular cable and satellite services still carry the Fox Sports Regional channels so if you  have cable or satellite,  you're fine. AT&T Now streaming (formerly DirecTV Now) does carry it but the rest don't  (YouTube TV, Hulu Live, Sling. Etc)

This is nationwide  BTW. I'm in Dallas, TX and have YouTube TV. I can't get FoxSports Southwest which airs Mavs games.

2 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Grizz games are on Fox Sports Tennessee. People know where to watch the games, its a matter of streaming services not carrying the Fox Sports Regional channels right now due to a fee dispute with FSR parent company, Sinclair Broadcasting. Regular cable and satellite services still carry the Fox Sports Regional channels so if you  have cable or satellite,  you're fine. AT&T Now streaming (formerly DirecTV Now) does carry it but the rest don't  (YouTube TV, Hulu Live, Sling. Etc)

This is nationwide  BTW. I'm in Dallas, TX and have YouTube TV. I can't get FoxSports Southwest which airs Mavs games.

We have Direct TV at work (in Memphis) 649-2 usually half the time you get the Direct TV logo screen during the game. I have Roku at home in East TX. and my crash pad in MEM, until one of the streaming co. gets it I will just listen on radio and watch the highlights on YouTube the next day. I love sports, but pretty much over all the BS that goes along with them.

On 12/15/2020 at 8:51 PM, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I thought Dish Network also was in a dispute with Sinclair?

I think it is just ATT Now, DirecTV, and Xfinity/Spectrum that show the games among the i don't know how  many streaming options.

22 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I thought Dish Network also was in a dispute with Sinclair?

I think it is just ATT Now, DirecTV, and Xfinity/Spectrum that show the games among the i don't know how  many streaming options.

You're correct. I didn't realize they were in a fight with Dish as well. That's stupid. They have eroded a large portion of their fanbase. It looks like they may rebrand it as well. It appears that Sinclair swooped up the stations after Disney acquired Fox (antitrust stuff with Disney also owning ESPN). I don't see how this works out for them. They're shunning pretty much all of the streaming channels and as well as premium cable/satellite service. They are down to 2 partners (AT&T and Spectrum). They lost a ton of money in the 3Q, you would think they would come to some type of agreement until the pandemic is over at least.

This affects a large portion of the nation as most FSR channels carried local broadcasts of NBA, MLB and NHL games that weren't nationally broadcast. Does Memphis not simulcast the games with a local channel? In Dallas, they used to simulcast the game with a local channel but looking it up, it looks like it's all FoxSports SW now so they don't even do that anymore. That sucks. I'm not a fan of Sinclair for various reasons but they were also just fined by the FCC, largest in history.