Kevin B Moses

Since the grizzlies know that they won't be able to sign a significant free agent in the championship window

One strategy might be to try to poach a sweet draft pick that becomes available two to three years from now instead of drafting more glut in the coming years.

Hear me out: the grizzlies need to look for an opportunity to get draft picks that are not based on THEIR record in about 3 years. To the point of taking on bad contracts, even including their upcoming first round picks and kick  them down  the road so that when their window opens they can perhaps have a high level draft pick to draft a super rookie that can serve as a high level star free agent that the grizzlies know that can't get, in that window.

At this point the grizzlies aren't hurting to FIND their stars, they have them. So the draft doesn't mean much now. They should use that to their benefit, by using all their resources to poach a team for a future high pick and target it 3 years from now. Plan early, in other words.

As an example I would try to get a expiring contract a really big one and even add our first round pick and try to take on bad salary plus give them a pick to try to get a high draft pick with very little protection on it from a team that you know was going to be bad in three years.

6 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

At this point the grizzlies aren't hurting to FIND their stars, they have them. So the draft doesn't mean much now

Sure it does. 
Winning teams can easily trade a high draft pick (plus fillers) to get an established veteran player.

High draft picks are based on potential.

1 hour ago, fanboyslim said:

Yeah, I just think GSW’s potential is greater but you’re right

actually the grizzlies just gave up future draft picks to move up into the first round this year.

My point is that we don't need to be trying to leverage our future draft picks for glut or small gains.

1 minute ago, Kevin B Moses said:

actually the grizzlies just gave up future draft picks to move up into the first round this year.

My point is that we don't need to be trying to leverage our future draft picks for glut or small gains.

No, I agree with you. I just don’t think trading future second rounders for a late first is a good example of moves that mortgage our future.

Giving away first rounders to get overpaid middling players as some have proposed, on the other hand...

2 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

One strategy might be to try to poach a sweet draft pick that becomes available two to three years from now instead of drafting more glut in the coming years.

Hear me out: the grizzlies need to look for an opportunity to get draft picks that are not based on THEIR record in about 3 years. To the point of taking on bad contracts, even including their upcoming first round picks and kick  them down  the road so that when their window opens they can perhaps have a high level draft pick to draft a super rookie that can serve as a high level star free agent that the grizzlies know that can't get, in that window.

At this point the grizzlies aren't hurting to FIND their stars, they have them. So the draft doesn't mean much now. They should use that to their benefit, by using all their resources to poach a team for a future high pick and target it 3 years from now. Plan early, in other words.

As an example I would try to get a expiring contract a really big one and even add our first round pick and try to take on bad salary plus give them a pick to try to get a high draft pick with very little protection on it from a team that you know was going to be bad in three years.

i total agree the Grizzlies should be one of the top 4 teams in west in about 3 years 

53 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

No, I agree with you. I just don’t think trading future second rounders for a late first is a good example of moves that mortgage our future.

Giving away first rounders to get overpaid middling players as some have proposed, on the other hand...

That's just this trade though. who's to say that next they won't leverage their first round draft pick for something though.

But my overall point is that we need to be in the top five pick in three years.

How do we get that? That is the challenge. That is also assuming that we're not going to get a superstar free agent to come play with Jaren and Ja.

So we need a significant draft pick in three years not a draft pick in the 20s which we don't want.

I could rephrase my statement as how do we get a top five draft pick in three years? And not have to trade Jaren or Ja to do it.

Depending on GS competitive situation, we could make move to trade either Dillon or Justice for the 21 1st Timberwolves pick. 

just had NASTY argument with wife she storm out of the house , sorry needed get it off my chest 

3 hours ago, lions said:

just had NASTY argument with wife she storm out of the house , sorry needed get it off my chest 

You’re the best poster on here 😂 

5 hours ago, lions said:

House or trailor? 

J/k

5 hours ago, lions said:

Grit and GRIND! 

U a Grizzlies fan u should be used to pain 😂

7 hours ago, lions said:

Let her become FA. Then you can think if you want sign her again or not 😉

If Ja becomes a perennial all-star from year three onwards and JJJ follows suite in the same time frame and assuming they are both still in Memphis, that is a ten year time frame to compete. 

I would find it very hard to believe that in that time, no free agents will want to come or trades made to compete for a championship. 

33 minutes ago, Teddy.B said:

If Ja becomes a perennial all-star from year three onwards and JJJ follows suite in the same time frame and assuming they are both still in Memphis, that is a ten year time frame to compete. 

I would find it very hard to believe that in that time, no free agents will want to come or trades made to compete for a championship. 

Ja and Jaren will leave before year 10. Also, not sure why you think the grizzlies will buck the odds and attract significant free agents when no team outside of the big market sexy destinations do so.

Lebron himself could not get anybody to come to Cleveland.

Also, Jaren and Ja will not win a championship by themselves. They need a third star at minimum. Which you won't get in free agency, thus this thread.

7 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Ja and Jaren will leave before year 10. Also, not sure why you think the grizzlies will buck the odds and attract significant free agents when no team outside of the big market sexy destinations do so.

Lebron himself could not get anybody to come to Cleveland.

Also, Jaren and Ja will not win a championship by themselves. They need a third star at minimum. Which you won't get in free agency, thus this thread.

I can see Ja staying but JJJ will bolt. He doesnt want to be here for the long run. I have nothing to base that on. It's just how I feel about him.

16 hours ago, lions said:

Tell her to move to Seattle, I hear it’s a rich city.

20 minutes ago, grizzgolf said:

I can see Ja staying but JJJ will bolt. He doesnt want to be here for the long run. I have nothing to base that on. It's just how I feel about him.

I think Jaren likes it here just fine he doesn’t come across as the type the needs a lot of exposure. Now our guy Dillon looks like a prime candidate yo want to relocate to a big market.

3 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Tell her to move to Seattle, I hear it’s a rich city.

s---- happens