GF#1

Grizzlies acquire Mario Hezonjia and Desmond Bane

10 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

In my case and JWill's, that we have known him for almost a decade and he's still the same mediocre player with an inflated ego he was when he landed in Barcelona. Expecting him to change now is a bit optimistic.

To put it in terms anyone could understand, he has a Dillon Brooks personality in a Marko Guduric body.

Cmon now he definitely ain't no Marko athlete. 

6 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

I'm thinking the only realistic trades would involve swapping 2nd round picks and/or sending some cash for a team to absorb their contracts and cut them to make some extra room below the tax ahead of the trade season. But since both expire at the end of this season we may as well just waive them.

OK, not you, but somebody keeps talking about 3 for 1 or 2 for 1 trades. Nobody wants Mario or Marko anyway. So why would they take 2 of them, when they don't want one in the first place? And their salaries are small, so no sense for Kleiman to attach a 2nd rounder to dump them. We will just eat their contracts and be done with them. It's the price we paid to get Bane. And, in Marko's case, a miss. 

7 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

OK, not you, but somebody keeps talking about 3 for 1 or 2 for 1 trades. Nobody wants Mario or Marko anyway. So why would they take 2 of them, when they don't want one in the first place? And their salaries are small, so no sense for Kleiman to attach a 2nd rounder to dump them. We will just eat their contracts and be done with them. It's the price we paid to get Bane. And, in Marko's case, a miss. 

Let's put it this way. If we pay to get rid of their salary (even if just a pick swap) it means we're preparing for a big trade down the road. Otherwise we're just keeping our cap structure tidy for the offseason.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

So how would you break down the other 1.93104% odds on whether one of Marko or Mario will be cut or neither one of them?

It would be some type of trade...could involve Marko and/or Mario and/or Gorgui and/or Grayson and/or Kyle (although he has a kicker). I wouldn't expect anything significant  back (if anything  back)

While people may think this is bball blasphemy, cutting Gorgui is an option. If they have no use for him (as they didn't in the bubble) and they can't find any value, might as well cut him. Its only one year. You're not signing anybody. Just move on. I mean they took a year and a half of Waiters horrible contract and let him go. Heck, Dakari Johnson was still being paid.it wouldn't be the end of the world since his salary was falling off at the end of season any way.

3 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

It would be some type of trade...could involve Marko and/or Mario and/or Gorgui and/or Grayson and/or Kyle (although he has a kicker). I wouldn't expect anything significant  back (if anything  back)

While people may think this is bball blasphemy, cutting Gorgui is an option. If they have no use for him (as they didn't in the bubble) and they can't find any value, might as well cut him. Its only one year. You're not signing anybody. Just move on. I mean they took a year and a half of Waiters horrible contract and let him go. Heck, Dakari Johnson was still being paid.it wouldn't be the end of the world since his salary was falling off at the end of season any way.

If you cut him his contract will be off the books next year anyway, of course, but it's not like the Grizzlies will become a desirable destination for FAs overnight. If you trade him you can get something valuable in return. I don't see any scenario with Gorgui being cut before deadline.

9 minutes ago, misae said:

If you cut him his contract will be off the books next year anyway, of course, but it's not like the Grizzlies will become a desirable destination for FAs overnight. If you trade him you can get something valuable in return. I don't see any scenario with Gorgui being cut before deadline.

You can always trade for someone and absorb their contract with cap space. Having cap space is not a bad thing. You can do more than just try to sign a big name FA with cap space. It gives you flexibility. As I mentioned, they waived Waiters and the year and half horrible contract. If they can't find a decent trade and they have no plans to use him, just waive him. No biggie. We have 17 players and we need to get to 15.

I would hate to see them trading him just to trade him thinking they are getting value. I don't see Gorgui having much value out there.  I mean, you still have Cousins and Whiteside out there that teams could get for cheap. Why would someone trade for Gorgui's horrible contract? They'll dump a bunch of junk long term contracts. Trading just to trade is a Chris Wallace type move. Just because someone is in their last year of their contract doesn't mean a team wants that player or even their salary.

They aren't cutting Gorgui. Jaren will not play for a while. The other young bigs like Jontay and Tillman and Tillie have never played a second in the NBA. We aren't going into the season with only Jonas, who plays 30 minutes a game, at center. 

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

So how would you break down the other 1.93104% odds on whether one of Marko or Mario will be cut or neither one of them?

Within that small percentage is also the unlikely potential that someone gets hurt in training camp, Grizz get disabled player exception and retain one of them.  Highly unlikely.

I still remain open to the very slim possibility that one of the two comes in fighting for a spot, playing so well that it forces the coaching staff to cut someone else, especially if someone else is really disappointing in camp.

The reason I think Hezonja can stick around is that this team has only has 4 HEALTHY players at or over 6'8" that have NBA game experience: Kyle, Jonas, BC, and Gorgui.  

1 hour ago, The J Crew said:

Only thing i could see is a 2 for 1 and then use our biggest tpe so we take on extra salary , after all these trade no idea if any team needs it. 

We have no need to use picks to just dump expiring contracts maybe we could find an upgrade but that would be a long shot .

Really depends on when the FO want caproom at this point . Id be more pushing on waiting another year , get this FO a couple more picks , that seems like their bread and butter. We could do that now , the deadline or next year if we play it smart. 

22 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

The reason I think Hezonja can stick around is that this team has only has 4 HEALTHY players at or over 6'8" that have NBA game experience: Kyle, Jonas, BC, and Gorgui.  

True. I feel the same way.  Without Winslow, Dillon/Bane/Marko should be a solid wing rotation.  

We have enough stocky grinders. We need lanky athletes who can shoot/dunk too.  We need a mix of ALT and GRIND.  Ja needs running mates.

31 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

You can always trade for someone and absorb their contract with cap space. Having cap space is not a bad thing. You can do more than just try to sign a big name FA with cap space. It gives you flexibility. As I mentioned, they waived Waiters and the year and half horrible contract. If they can't find a decent trade and they have no plans to use him, just waive him. No biggie. We have 17 players and we need to get to 15.

I would hate to see them trading him just to trade him thinking they are getting value. I don't see Gorgui having much value out there.  I mean, you still have Cousins and Whiteside out there that teams could get for cheap. Why would someone trade for Gorgui's horrible contract? They'll dump a bunch of junk long term contracts. Trading just to trade is a Chris Wallace type move. Just because someone is in their last year of their contract doesn't mean a team wants that player or even their salary.

Yes, but we wouldn't have that cap space until next year, so it would kill any trading opportunity during this season. And sacrificing this just to keep Hezonja? I don't see it happening.

22 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

I wanna see what we have with Mario.  He could be a good target for Ja (3’s and lobs).

why? he's never been a good 3 pt shooter

11 hours ago, Grizzhype said:

lol....😂  The kid is just 25 years old and has a 6'10" wingspan...  He checks alot boxes....  Athletic, quickness, defense, shooting, passing, ball handling...  He might just need to be in the right system, with the right team/coaching...  Got my popcorn ready to see how this plays out... 

Negative declarations about him won't change the fact that he's on the roster.... 

The Grizz Front Office will decide between Mario, Marko and Dieng...  🏤🧐🧐

WTF are you talking about?   he's only 25, but he's been in the league 5 seasons.  is a career 32% 3 pt shooter in 19 minutes a game.  doesn't rebound well for his position despite how athletic he is, and barely gets an assist a game.  came in with a big ego as well.  don't want him around the younger vets.

6 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

To be fair we need wings, at least security for the 3 because Justice is doing what Justice does. Winslow,  Bane,  Dillon and Mario.  Not sure if Bane can play because he hasn't played a game,  we know Justise is missing the start of the season. I think we have to keep him

outside of justise, there are plenty of guys to play the 3.  dillon, kyle, bane all have size to play there (and i've been banging the table all this past season that that is dillon's true position anyway).  hell, grayson played SF alot in december as well.  not to mention konchar can play there in a pinch if needed.

3 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

Them signing Porter just made it hard to believe they would keep Mario.... now something no one is talking about is which would you have Grayson or Hezonja cause that could be another way for him to stick since they brought Melton back and drafted Bane Grayson doesn’t really have a spot at the two anymore maybe he gets added to a trade 

how the hell does grayson not have a spot?  shot 40% from 3 on the season, and **** near 45-47% from december on.  melton is too limited offensively and should be used primarily in spot situations for defense.  bane is unproven.  allen absolutely has a spot.  there is absolutely ZERO chance that grayson gets cut, especially not for freaking mario hezonja.  geez.

12 minutes ago, misae said:

Yes, but we wouldn't have that cap space until next year, so it would kill any trading opportunity during this season. And sacrificing this just to keep Hezonja? I don't see it happening.

As far as trades with the cap space created by waiving Dieng, yes, I was speaking about next year, not this year.

Anyway, that was just a hypothetical as I said I feel the most likely scenario would be Marko and Mario being cut. I was asked about other scenarios so I just threw that out there as a feasible scenario.

If I'm not mistaken, Tillman hasn't been signed.  He could agree to go overseas for a year if they actually want to keep a Hejonza.

8 minutes ago, Dwash said:

If I'm not mistaken, Tillman hasn't been signed.  He could agree to go overseas for a year if they actually want to keep a Hejonza.

I don't think they'll be doing that, JJJ was the best man at his wedding, I don't think they'll mess him around. Probably just trying to push for the best deal he can.

1 hour ago, grizz09 said:

how the hell does grayson not have a spot?  shot 40% from 3 on the season, and **** near 45-47% from december on.  melton is too limited offensively and should be used primarily in spot situations for defense.  bane is unproven.  allen absolutely has a spot.  there is absolutely ZERO chance that grayson gets cut, especially not for freaking mario hezonja.  geez.

Not saying he would get cut but could get included in a trade instead of Mario. I’m a Grayson fan and wish they wouldn’t have brought Melton back so Grayson could have even more of an opportunity at the 2, but I fully expect Bane to be really good in comparison to the wings we have on the roster and with them just resigning Melton I don’t see how you sit him behind Grayson.

Granted this is all hypothetical and Mario can be cut by the end of the day.

2 hours ago, grizz09 said:

outside of justise, there are plenty of guys to play the 3.  dillon, kyle, bane all have size to play there (and i've been banging the table all this past season that that is dillon's true position anyway).  hell, grayson played SF alot in december as well.  not to mention konchar can play there in a pinch if needed.

You kind of skimmed of what I said huh?

2 hours ago, grizz09 said:

It's kind of like that saying in the NFL - if you have 2 starting quarterbacks, then you have none.

We just need one league average starting 3, not a bunch of guys who can play the 3. Not sure we have that person on our roster yet. 

20 hours ago, Grizzhype said:

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/mario-hezonja/

Hmm...  Are we aka "Grizz Nation" sleeping on Mario?? 😴😴💤    I mean really!!  😱  This man rejects Lebron and steps over Giannis after dunking in transition...   🤣😍😎  Dare we utter....  "Lightning in a Bottle"??  ⛈️🌩️🌩️.

I think he ends up on the roster...

We have been gifted with a potential superstar 

2 hours ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

Ennis 2.0?

Exactly see what team is looking for depth at the end of free agency who are tapped out by the cap and send him there for 2nds to replenish from Draft night.