Ole Dirty Klondike

Jaren and Justise Still Recovering, Will Not Be Ready for Season Start

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I don't believe anyone associated with the Grizzlies will feel compelled to offer him the max with his playing record so far. Steph Curry wasn't offered the max after his injury filled first few years and with Chandler Parsons plus Justise Winslow in their memory I sincerely doubt a max deal is owed to Jaren for his playing record so far. 

Compelled, pressured, coerced - use whatever verb you want, I couldn't disagree more. Let's not act like our stars are immune to acting like Kyrie and Harden are acting today. JJJ and his entourage will take it as an insult if he is not offered the DRSPE that Donavan and Jayson Tatum and Bam just got. Again, "owed" - whatever that means - has nothing to do with it. 

Re Steph, the Designated Rookie Scale Player Extension didn't exist when he was on his rookie contract, it was new to the current, 2017 CBA. 

16 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Compelled, pressured, coerced - use whatever verb you want, I couldn't disagree more. Let's not act like our stars are immune to acting like Kyrie and Harden are acting today. JJJ and his entourage will take it as an insult if he is not offered the DRSPE that Donavan and Jayson Tatum and Bam just got. Again, "owed" - whatever that means - has nothing to do with it. 

Re Steph, the Designated Rookie Scale Player Extension didn't exist when he was on his rookie contract, it was new to the current, 2017 CBA. 

Durant and Kyriie have resumes that look 100% better than JJJ's does currenly. It is laughable that they are being mentioned as being remotely alike. 

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

Durant and Kyriie have resumes that look 100% better than JJJ's does currenly. It is laughable that they are being mentioned as being remotely alike. 

What are you talking about?

Maybe you didn't read my initial post. My point is the Grizzlies should not offer the DRSPR after year 3 to JJJ next fall. And that Kleiman should wait until after JJJ's year 4 to offer a contract. That's my point. You keep bringing up players who weren't even eligible for the year 3 extension, and really have nothing to do with the Grizzlies decision. 

Small markets feel pressure to keep their stars happy. Minnesota gave Wiggins a 5 year max, and JJJ is a much better player than Wiggins. Not sure why you keep arguing the point. 

50 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Maybe you didn't read my initial post. My point is the Grizzlies should not offer the DRSPR after year 3 to JJJ next fall. And that Kleiman should wait until after JJJ's year 4 to offer a contract. That's my point. You keep bringing up players who weren't even eligible for the year 3 extension, and really have nothing to do with the Grizzlies decision. 

Small markets feel pressure to keep their stars happy. Minnesota gave Wiggins a 5 year max, and JJJ is a much better player than Wiggins. Not sure why you keep arguing the point. 

As much as I don't like Wiggins, I don't think you can say JJJ was better than him at the same point. Wiggins was putting up some big stats around year 3. His value dropped after they added Butler and he single handedly made them a playoff team. From this point on we knew Wiggins was not a high level playoff team contributor like you expect a max player to be. But before that it was unknown. 

1 hour ago, The J Crew said:

What I am saying is the Grizzlies don't have to offer JJJ a max deal with his resume to date. I thought that was pretty clear. You are making the assumption that, since Memphis is a small market, they are under more pressure than larger market teams to keep their stars happy. I don't believe they are, I don't believe JJJ has earned the status of "star" yet and I don't want the front office to make a mistake similar to Minnesota when they signed Wiggins. 

If your position is that JJJ hasn't warranted the "star" treatment then we agree with one another. 

54 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

What I am saying is the Grizzlies don't have to offer JJJ a max deal with his resume to date. I thought that was pretty clear. You are making the assumption that, since Memphis is a small market, they are under more pressure than larger market teams to keep their stars happy. I don't believe they are, I don't believe JJJ has earned the status of "star" yet and I don't want the front office to make a mistake similar to Minnesota when they signed Wiggins. 

If your position is that JJJ hasn't warranted the "star" treatment then we agree with one another. 

This will be my last post in this circular discussion.

I think I've been pretty clear, many times, that I hope they don't give Jaren the Designated Rookie Extension after Jaren's year 3. But I think they will, for the reasons I have outlined several times. 

1 hour ago, The J Crew said:

I think I've been pretty clear, many times, that I hope they don't give Jaren the Designated Rookie Extension after Jaren's year 3. But I think they will, for the reasons I have outlined several times. 

Memphis has a smart FO, I don't think they'll do something dumb. There's no downside to going to RFA if you need to. Obviously if JJJ comes back, plays 50 games and gives you say 21 and 7, that's a different story if the FO wants to max him

5 hours ago, The J Crew said:

Unfortunately I have to agree 100%... 

2 hours ago, The J Crew said:

Yeah 100%....unfortunately itiswhatitis

I am going to go with the "Grizz FO being pressured into something dumb" crew.

Also we are about 1/7th of the way through the season... still no JJJ or Winslow

For everyone who thinks we are tanking with Ja and JJJ out.....we are one game out of the 7th spot and 1.5 games out of the 6th spot. That's with Ja and JJJ out. Obviously, small sample size but those guys may be back in 2-3 weeks. If we can keep our head above water, we may make a push when they return.

7 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

For everyone who thinks we are taking with Ja and JJJ out.....we are one game out of the 7th spot and 1.5 games out of the 6th spot. That's with Ja and JJJ out. Obviously, small sample size but those guys may be back in 2-3 weeks. If we can keep our head above water, we may make a push when they return.

Exactly 

At very least until JA is back.

42 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

For everyone who thinks we are taking with Ja and JJJ out.....we are one game out of the 7th spot and 1.5 games out of the 6th spot. That's with Ja and JJJ out. Obviously, small sample size but those guys may be back in 2-3 weeks. If we can keep our head above water, we may make a push when they return.

Never tank with a young team. Ever. Under any circumstances. 

And Ja will be back in 5 days. 

15 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Never tank with a young team. Ever. Under any circumstances. 

And Ja will be back in 5 days. 

I originally thought Ja would be back for the MLK game but now I'm not as sure.

2 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Lakers are going to destroy whoever the 8th seed is, they are a legit buzzsaw 

LeBron and AD are matchup nightmares.  Might not be many better duos in NBA history — if any.  

9 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Lakers are going to destroy whoever the 8th seed is, they are a legit buzzsaw 

What difference does that make? 

9 hours ago, chipc3 said:

What difference does that make? 

Time-worn debate about whether it's more impactful long-term to make the playoffs but potentially get swept or just miss playoffs and have shot at a high draft pick.

How are you doing mentally and physically right now?

I’ve been good. I knew going into this process that it was going to take a little bit. I definitely had probably a day where I was just mad about it, but definitely not now. I have a lot better perspective over the whole thing. And I’m young. I got to just make sure everything is right, because I don’t want to be having these problems later. So I’m just taking the time now to make sure my body is good, my knee is good, I’m healthy. … I’ll be back this [season]. Who knows when, but it won’t be too long.

What was your toughest day following your injury?

Probably just watching my team lose in the bubble from home. I had to leave and go get surgery, and I came back home and we were playing Portland and that was our last game. And I remember watching that, just sick that I couldn’t participate in it, and really wanted to help them any way I could, because I just knew I could. That was probably the hardest day.

Then it just became summer, and then it was the grind. I was in the gym every day, working on rehab. … It’s just been a lot. I’m thinking about probably everything right now and I’m glad I’ve been taking the ride I’ve taken.

So no timetable for a return to playing?

I have a timetable. It’s not that far, believe me. It will probably sneak up on you, but it’s something that remains to be seen.

There was a report that you grew. Is that true?

Yeah, I grew.

How tall are you now?

Seven feet.

Is that going to affect your game in any way?

17 hours ago, memphis slim said:

paging justise....

still...paging justise...

slim.

You’re showing your age with this “ paging” stuff