The J Crew

Trade Rumors 2020 - Not Involving the Grizz

5 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

Getting a wing from pels/hawks as the 3rd team would be nice!

Yeah. Somebody has since reported that OKC wants no multi-year contracts back in the trade. So they don't want Rubio. Someone else said the Mav and Clips are involved, could be a 3-team or 4-team deal. Who knows?

2 hours ago, The J Crew said:

Yeah. Somebody has since reported that OKC wants no multi-year contracts back in the trade. So they don't want Rubio. Someone else said the Mav and Clips are involved, could be a 3-team or 4-team deal. Who knows?

Then the Suns don't get a trade unless they find trade partners (not sure what assets they can offer them), because for that trade to work they need to shed $33M and that doesn't happen realistically unless they include Rubio and Oubre.

By the way, I'm starting to think this is going to be another strategic blunder by the Suns. Yes, CP3 is an immediate upgrade over Rubio (although Rubio is exactly the kind of PG that can make Booker shine) but this trade alone isn't getting them into contention and Paul is going to make $41M and $44M the next two seasons at 36 and 37 years old, crippling their ability to build around their core.

Which, frankly, it's the Sun's MO for the past decade.

46 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Guess these *** hats like him think they can snap their fingers and some GM will absorb their absurd salaries and give back something worth while in a pandemic. 

1 hour ago, Rdk4121 said:

Both Harden and Westbrook have seemingly asked for a trade, or at least have rumored to ask for one. 

3 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I could see some East teams making a big. Bulls could build a trade around Otto Porter. Magic could trade Fultz and Aaron Gordon. Knicks of course would want him, but they don't have much to trade.

Charlotte I could see being very motivated. They have lots of salaries to trade. Houston is thin, so getting multiple players back would makes sense for the Rockets. And the #3 pick. 

Bucks might need to roll the dice on Westbrook.  The Giannis Show hasn’t gotten it done yet.  A Big 3 of Giannis, Westbrook and Middleton would be formidable.  

8 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Bucks might need to roll the dice on Westbrook.  The Giannis Show hasn’t gotten it done yet.  A Big 3 of Giannis, Westbrook and Middleton would be formidable.  

Bucks couldn't pay all 3 of them. Year after next, RW making $44M, Middleton $36M, and Giannis at least $40M on first year of his supermax. That's $120 for 3 players, and the cap will be around $113M.

Plus, Russell wants to go back to his OKC role - 35% to 40% usage. No way that works with Giannis. 

11 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Bucks couldn't pay all 3 of them. Year after next, RW making $44M, Middleton $36M, and Giannis at least $40M on first year of his supermax. That's $120 for 3 players, and the cap will be around $113M.

Plus, Russell wants to go back to his OKC role - 35% to 40% usage. No way that works with Giannis. 

Ironically the Grizzlies probably have both the contracts AND picks to make it work — but Morant/Westbrook doesn’t sound like a great fit on paper.  

Russ to the Mavs? I can't think of many destinations that make sense. Maybe the Suns or Knicks as well, for the same reason both want CP3.

I think Russ to the Suns makes a lot of sense. Booker gives him plenty of spacing, Ayton and him in the pick and roll would be nice, plus they have other capable shooters with Cameron Johnson and Mikal. He's a few years younger than CP3 as well, which fits the timeline a little better. 

1 hour ago, The J Crew said:

If the Rockets are selling House, we should be buying. 

I would accept this

I’m having real trouble to see a market for Westbrook. Contending teams won’t have the cap space and won’t mess up with a successful roster in order to create it. Very young teams with cap space don’t want to have the ball taken away from their developing players just to get to a 2nd round playoff out at best. My guess would be a middle of the road team trying to make a championship push before a complete blow up (WB’s expiring contract will be a major asset at some point) but I can’t think of one that has a hole at the guard positions and enough assets to make a bid that will entice Houston.

For Westbrook, I was thinking about the Suns, building a trade around Rubio/Oubre/#10, probably a lottery protected in 2022...but, honestly, I don't know if I'm paying that much to get Westbrook. Pacers maybe, trading Turner/Lamb/McDermott + a lottery protected pick...but I think the Rockets are winning too much with that.

Other than those, I can think about Orlando, Bulls (sending Carter Jr. back), Knicks also could try, I guess. Seems rather difficult to find a market but I'm sure some team will try and get him. After all, he's still Westbrook.

I could see Westbrook going first and then Paul to the team that was second in the race to get him, too. Next week is going to be interesting.

8 hours ago, The J Crew said:

I could see some East teams making a big. Bulls could build a trade around Otto Porter. Magic could trade Fultz and Aaron Gordon. Knicks of course would want him, but they don't have much to trade.

Charlotte I could see being very motivated. They have lots of salaries to trade. Houston is thin, so getting multiple players back would makes sense for the Rockets. And the #3 pick. 

3 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

I’m having real trouble to see a market for Westbrook. Contending teams won’t have the cap space and won’t mess up with a successful roster in order to create it. Very young teams with cap space don’t want to have the ball taken away from their developing players just to get to a 2nd round playoff out at best. My guess would be a middle of the road team trying to make a championship push before a complete blow up (WB’s expiring contract will be a major asset at some point) but I can’t think of one that has a hole at the guard positions and enough assets to make a bid that will entice Houston.

Agreed. I see a limited market for a soon to be 32 year old PG who's a ballhog who likes to put up stats with 3 years and over $130 million+ left on his contract. I think an Eastern Conf team would be the more likely option if he does get traded (emphasis on if because he may not be). He has to play a certain way for him to be happy and for him  to stay mentally engaged. Playing alongside another high scoring G like Hraden who takes the ball out of his hands isn't the best situation. I predict a young team in the East, normally I would say ATL but now that they have Young, that's a no go but I think some young team in the East, maybe CHA especially if they are able to move up in the draft and snag Wiseman as it is reported that they want to do.

Sounds like the entire Rockets team is unhappy. The only reason to bring in an inexperienced head coach to the middle of this mess is because you plan on blowing it up and starting over: