Grizzhype

New Official 2021 Grind City Draft Thread & Lottery Picks Watch!

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Vrenz is a Belgian guy that just won the rising star award in the Low Countries league, which is a 3rd tier domestic league at best. Than means he was the best young player in the league, not the best player overall. He hasn’t played one minute in the Euroleague and only 10 games in the Eurocup (2nd tier Euro competition), where he got 9.4/3.1/2.4 on 24 mpg. Not quite earth shattering.

He hasn’t been picked up by any major Euro team, which is not necessarily a bad sign since he’s bloomed this season. Of course that may mean it’s an outlier, but he seems to have the frame and tools to become much better.

I don’t know if he’s going to declare. If he does he’ll be a top 2nd / bottom 1st round pick, depending on how much hype he can get from his award (I’ve already seen draft “experts” mixing it up with the much, much more prestigious Euroleague Rising Star, which is voted by the Euroleague head coaches).

I think he would be a great draft and stash pick. There’s chances he’ll go play in a top league next season and he could be a lottery level prospect in a year or two.

But 1st overall pick? Andrea Bargnani had far better credentials when he got picked and look what happened.

When I didn't hear you talking him up I figured someone was getting a little overly excited about his strotential.  Thanks for the breakdown to help the rest of us put in proper perspective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

When I didn't hear you talking him up I figured someone was getting a little overly excited about his strotential.  Thanks for the breakdown to help the rest of us put in proper perspective.

I wish I can see guys like this in person but whatever.  I actually just listened to another one of his interviews.  Some guy named LeBron did an interview with him after hearing the Vrenz interview with NBA Draft Junkies (also up on YouTube).  Either he is a good prospect or there’s a vast conspiracy posting carefully-curated Bleijenbergh highlight reels on the internet.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

I'm no prognosticator on the draft or the goals of the FO, so I won't pretend to know who will be good, or who we will draft.  With Tyus getting fewer minutes, it may be that the FO is ready to move on through an offseason trade or before the deadline, and therefore may be interested in drafting a PG.  I just think he looks as if he could check off a lot of boxes for us - shooting/scoring, playmaking, and defense (if his game can work at the next level).  He comes from a winning program, and demonstrated an ability to play off ball in essentially a two PG system, so may be able to pair with Ja at times, or run the second unit.  As for late first or second round picks cracking the rotation, our own Desmond Bane, Grayson Allen, and Dillon Brooks were all picked later than Butler is expected to be.  Then there are the Brogdons, Beverlys, and Thomases, etc. who have contributed to winning teams.  

I get what you are saying, but how many of Bane, Allen, Brooks, Brogdons, Beverlys, and Thomases were picked by teams that already had all 4 of Bane, Allen, Melton, and Brooks on them and playing well? 

I like Butler and I like his fit on this team, but if they go that route I'd hope they move at least Allen in the offseason if not both Allen and Jones. But I worry about moving Jones, our bench is a strength when he is part of it, it has been a liability at times when he has not played.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

When I didn't hear you talking him up I figured someone was getting a little overly excited about his strotential.  Thanks for the breakdown to help the rest of us put in proper perspective.

The top Euro prospect this year is still Usman Garuba (if he declares). He's in our range, mid first round probably, but I'm ambivalent about him (aside from the idea of losing Luka, Campazzo and him in consecutive years). I think he's still very raw and not as NBA ready as Luka by a mile. It's not clear where his ceiling is, he's a bit undersized for a PF at 6'8, but he has a huge wingspan and he's very athletic. His shooting has improved a lot this season too but is still a work in progress. 

On the plus side, Memphis would love him. He's a very good defender and one of those energy guys who doesn't know how to quit. He almost willed a depleted Real Madrid into the Euroleague final four by himself.

16182561319041.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

The top Euro prospect this year is still Usman Garuba (if he declares). He's in our range, mid first round probably, but I'm ambivalent about him (aside from the idea of losing Luka, Campazzo and him in consecutive years). I think he's still very raw and not as NBA ready as Luka by a mile. It's not clear where his ceiling is, he's a bit undersized for a PF at 6'8, but he has a huge wingspan and he's very athletic. His shooting has improved a lot this season too but is still a work in progress. 

On the plus side, Memphis would love him. He's a very good defender and one of those energy guys who doesn't know how to quit. He almost willed a depleted Real Madrid into the Euroleague final four by himself.

16182561319041.jpg

Very good defensively. Not good at all offensively. I’ll pass, no more all defense no offense guys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, King Dork said:

Very good defensively. Not good at all offensively. I’ll pass, no more all defense no offense guys

Well, that's the thing, his offense has improved a lot this season but it's hard to say if it's an indication of further improvement or just the one good year. If I was him I'd wait another year to declare but I don't know his contractual situation right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Well, that's the thing, his offense has improved a lot this season but it's hard to say if it's an indication of further improvement or just the one good year. If I was him I'd wait another year to declare but I don't know his contractual situation right now.

He averaged 4 points a game, shot 27% from 3 and 56% from the line. That’s not improvement. Don’t get me wrong he’s elite defensively, has the tools to be the best defensive player in the league. Dude is nonexistent offensively tho. You can’t draft that type of guy in the first round. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KyleB said:

I get what you are saying, but how many of Bane, Allen, Brooks, Brogdons, Beverlys, and Thomases were picked by teams that already had all 4 of Bane, Allen, Melton, and Brooks on them and playing well? 

I like Butler and I like his fit on this team, but if they go that route I'd hope they move at least Allen in the offseason if not both Allen and Jones. But I worry about moving Jones, our bench is a strength when he is part of it, it has been a liability at times when he has not played.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking.  I like Tyus too, but for some reason he's been sitting a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, King Dork said:

He averaged 4 points a game, shot 27% from 3 and 56% from the line. That’s not improvement. Don’t get me wrong he’s elite defensively, has the tools to be the best defensive player in the league. Dude is nonexistent offensively tho. You can’t draft that type of guy in the first round. 

The stats are a bit misleading because he has improved over the season (he's finishing the ACB regular season averaging 31.8% from 3, and that'sa guy that used to score only putbacks and dunks) but yeah, he's not an offensive powerhouse by any means. The reason he's ranked where he is is the prospect of further offensive improvement, but as I said, he would do better waiting another year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2021 at 9:01 AM, Dwash said:

I love his game.  But folks are critical of his shooting (will improve imo) and he is really out our range at this point. 

I think we can get to 9 or 10.  But then you have to add a protected pick or two.  We just can’t get into the top 4 or 5.  If there is someone we really want we should add a future (protected) first round pick, cash, Grayson Allen and Porter.  

Keon didn’t show tons but he looks like an awesome athlete.  Good defense so he can be an awesome 1 or 1a defender on the wing next to Dillon.  I can’t think of a better defensive rotation from 2-4 than Dillon/Kyle/Melton/Jaren/Bane/Clarke/Tillman and adding an even better athlete in Keon Johnson to that.  Not sure what the baseline is but “upside” for him means Jaylen Brown/Sydney Moncrieff/DeMar DeRozan.  If he doesn’t try to do too much he should be effective.  Might also be a guy who can get off Kobe type shots in crunch time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, King Dork said:

Everybody has a big Board I’m going to make a Grizzlies might actually take this dude in our range board. 
 

#1 - Jaden Springer

I saw him Mocked to the Grizzlies on the Athletic’s Mock Draft and immediately threw up a little. Don’t really want a Vol to star on the Grizzlies roster, but dude shot 46% from the field and 43% from 3. He has elite shooting numbers and that’s not even the strength of his game. He lives in the mid range and paint, strong finishes and pull ups from mid is how he eats. The more I see of him the more I think he’d be an excellent fit on the roster and give us flexibility to consolidate some of our guard talent into a better player. 
 

#2 - Corey Kispert 

Shooter. There are concerns about him defensively, but there were concerns about  Joe Harris too but I don’t think the Nets are too concerned with that. Dude is a 6’7” walking water gun. 
 

#3 - Alperen Sengun

Post Beast. Been a while since I saw a dude with post moves like Sengun. Has a lot of Jahlil Okafor in him except he has a jumper and isn’t round + Unathletic. Beast on the boards also. Idk how good the Turkish league is but 19 & 9 in that league I don’t think u can sleep on. Might be the air apparent to JV. 
 

#4 - James Bouknight

I put him at 4 because I highly doubt he slips to us. But dude is a walking Bucket. Reminds me of Jordan Clarkson. Flat out scorer though. 
 

 

My second round heat check

Quentin Grimes - I want this dude on the Grizzlies. How the heck is he projected as a late 2nd round pick???

Herbert Jones - 6’8” excellent defender, excellent rebounder, good handles (they allowed him to be the ball handler in pick & rolls last year and he was pretty good), improving shooter. Him on the wing if he developed well could be a whole problem.  

I like those two 2nd round that you suggested, I would trade to move up to early 2nd and get both of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ALT GRIND said:

I think we can get to 9 or 10.  But then you have to add a protected pick or two.  We just can’t get into the top 4 or 5.  If there is someone we really want we should add a future (protected) first round pick, cash, Grayson Allen and Porter.  

Keon didn’t show tons but he looks like an awesome athlete.  Good defense so he can be an awesome 1 or 1a defender on the wing next to Dillon.  I can’t think of a better defensive rotation from 2-4 than Dillon/Kyle/Melton/Jaren/Bane/Clarke/Tillman and adding an even better athlete in Keon Johnson to that.  Not sure what the baseline is but “upside” for him means Jaylen Brown/Sydney Moncrieff/DeMar DeRozan.  If he doesn’t try to do too much he should be effective.  Might also be a guy who can get off Kobe type shots in crunch time.  

I like what I saw from Keon Johnson, he can give us some of Dillon Brooks effect on D and I think he can turn into a Jimmy and Derozan om offense. He, James Bouknight and Jalen Johnson are the wings Im intrigued with our 1st pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ja_Rules said:

I like what I saw from Keon Johnson, he can give us some of Dillon Brooks effect on D and I think he can turn into a Jimmy and Derozan om offense. He, James Bouknight and Jalen Johnson are the wings Im intrigued with our 1st pick.

I think Keon might go 5 or 6.  Lotto teams might just want a super athletic 2 guard and Jalen Green will probably be a top 2 pick (maybe 3).  Then teams miss out on him, and Keon Johnson is closest to that archetype.  I would think that Jalen Green is a lot better but who knows... if Keon has better defense then he might end up better.  Jalen might be even quicker with an elite first step but both have things to work on. I can also see Keon Johnson being relatively disappointing if he goes to the wrong team.  However, I think he would be a good fit here.  

I like Jalen Johnson too, but I am not sure if I would trade up for Bouknight. I also have him down a tier or two below Vrenz or even Keon/Wagner and some other guys.  

The good think about Keon Johnson is if he shows flashes of Jimmy Butler and DeRozan then he can complement that with Kobe-level athleticism.  So he should be able to do things that not too many Wings/Shooting Guards can do.  ... I would settle for a Deluxe Version of JR Smith or even Gerald Green.  I think that's a player that goes around 8-12 in any draft.

Ah heck, I am gonna talk up Vrenz, Keon, and Jalen Johnson into the top 6 or 7 and put them too far out of our price range.  And those 3 with Evan Mobley and Jalen Green might end up being my top 5.  I LIKE the point guards in this draft -- but maybe I don't LOVE LOVE them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ALT GRIND said:

I think Keon might go 5 or 6.  Lotto teams might just want a super athletic 2 guard and Jalen Green will probably be a top 2 pick (maybe 3).  Then teams miss out on him, and Keon Johnson is closest to that archetype.  I would think that Jalen Green is a lot better but who knows... if Keon has better defense then he might end up better.  Jalen might be even quicker with an elite first step but both have things to work on. I can also see Keon Johnson being relatively disappointing if he goes to the wrong team.  However, I think he would be a good fit here.  

I like Jalen Johnson too, but I am not sure if I would trade up for Bouknight. I also have him down a tier or two below Vrenz or even Keon/Wagner and some other guys.  

The good think about Keon Johnson is if he shows flashes of Jimmy Butler and DeRozan then he can complement that with Kobe-level athleticism.  So he should be able to do things that not too many Wings/Shooting Guards can do.  ... I would settle for a Deluxe Version of JR Smith or even Gerald Green.  I think that's a player that goes around 8-12 in any draft.

Ah heck, I am gonna talk up Vrenz, Keon, and Jalen Johnson into the top 6 or 7 and put them too far out of our price range.  And those 3 with Evan Mobley and Jalen Green might end up being my top 5.  I LIKE the point guards in this draft -- but maybe I don't LOVE LOVE them.

Vrenz will be avaliable to us, I actually now think he might fall to late 1st.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who's going to be in our range? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ja_Rules said:

Vrenz will be avaliable to us, I actually now think he might fall to late 1st.

Fall to late 1st???  Wouldn't that be climbing?  Most of the mocks I've seen don't even list him at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

Who's going to be in our range? 

Probably two of my top sleeper picks in Vrenz Bleijenbergh and Trey Murphy III — but those guys are getting some buzz.  
 

Probably Chris Duarte, Jared Butler, Isaiah Jackson — the main guys with good metrics and possibly Kai Jones as another good big man and Corey Kispert/Quentin Grimes (solid metrics)/Johnny Juzang as the intriguing shooters.  I think this draft only has a couple of really good high end bigs and a small tier of secondary/third tier bigs and that’s about it.  Guards like Sharife Cooper, Daishen Nix and Max Abmas should be there.  Max Abmas can really light it up.  And probably at least one of Miles McBride (great advanced stats) and Tre Mann (getting buzz!).  Although we can still get good point guard value in the second round with someone like Dejon Jarreau and McKinley Wright IV.  Ironically, 3 Isaiahs offer solid value in the 2nd round (or even late first): Isaiah Todd, Isaiah Livers and Isaiah Mobley.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Let's hope Detroit, Orlando and Cleveland get the top 3 picks. Need them to go to the Eastern Conference.

 

 

Houston could have TWO top 5 picks -- or ZERO.

Not liking the idea of the Warriors getting another top pick either.

Hopefully our scouts are looking at all those mid-first round types.  That's likely where we will end up.  Way after the "Big 5" get picked.  Although I wouldn't be shocked if one or two of those "Big 5" marginally under-performed (and maybe even bust).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2021 at 4:30 PM, fanboyslim said:

The top Euro prospect this year is still Usman Garuba (if he declares). He's in our range, mid first round probably, but I'm ambivalent about him (aside from the idea of losing Luka, Campazzo and him in consecutive years). I think he's still very raw and not as NBA ready as Luka by a mile. It's not clear where his ceiling is, he's a bit undersized for a PF at 6'8, but he has a huge wingspan and he's very athletic. His shooting has improved a lot this season too but is still a work in progress. 

On the plus side, Memphis would love him. He's a very good defender and one of those energy guys who doesn't know how to quit. He almost willed a depleted Real Madrid into the Euroleague final four by himself.

16182561319041.jpg

Reminds me of Joey Dorsey 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Allen said:

Reminds me of Joey Dorsey 

I can see that.  But if he can guard way out on the perimeter then he should be a mid/late first round pick (at worst) even if he never refines his offensive game.  If he turns into a guy who can lock down Zion Williamson then he might be worth a lotto pick just for that -- although I am not saying that he could shut down Zion (not sure anyone can).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My question is, "Where do we pick?"  We fought our way into the 8th spot in the playoffs, but our regular season record should put us into the Lottery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

My question is, "Where do we pick?"  We fought our way into the 8th spot in the playoffs, but our regular season record should put us into the Lottery.

We drop out of the lottery. Pretty sure it’s 16 or 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

My question is, "Where do we pick?"  We fought our way into the 8th spot in the playoffs, but our regular season record should put us into the Lottery.

I think we are out of it. Thankathon has us 17th, we should package the Jazz pick and move some spots up. Barnes, Johnson or Bouknight might be the targets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now