Grizzhype

New Official 2021 Grind City Draft Thread & Lottery Picks Watch!

Emoni Bates would go number one in this draft.  I’m ALL IN on that kid.  I think he’s more of a 2 than a 3 — shades of Kobe with flashes of Penny.  Maybe not as tall or as long as Kevin Durant (who Emoni gets compared to) but more “dynamic” but I guess Emoni could also fill out well enough to play a bit at either forward spot.  And I am someone who was ALL IN on Durant too.  

#TheMaster

17 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Other than Mobley (and one updated lotto where I went with Herb Jones and another with Charles Bassey), Vrenz and Jalen Johnson have been the ONLY guys I have had at number one overall on my big boards — with Vrenz back at 1, Jalen Johnson at 2, with Mobley/Green at 3/4 (possibly the only two locks for even a top 5-6 pick on my boards).  ... Vrenz has one really nice highlights and I like the size/length and he looks to have a solid frame and good quickness/athleticism.  Jalen Johnson, from some angles, looks like one of the better draft prospects in years.  Maybe you just give Jalen Johnson the ball (and the keys to the franchise) and just let him go like some (more athletic) version of Luka Doncic.  

Ayo and Grimes both have really good advanced stats.  As does Joel Ayayi.  All 3 look like good value anywhere outside the lottery/mid-first.

McKinley Wright IV has some great metrics and cool highlights.  Some Chris Paul vibes... if we can get great value late in the second round that also makes Tyus Jones expendable we should look into it.  

Actually not too many Rim Runners/Rim Protectors (a skill set we need) in this draft.  Isaiah Jackson... but is he a 4?  Ibou Badji is the upside mystery candidate.  Jericho Sims looks like a solid value play if he is there in the very late stages of the second round.  Only Badji gives you ELITE height/length and his lob-catch radius could be absurd but I’m not completely sure.  ... I can see Charles Bassey having some great workouts although he might be more of a “counting stats” guy than an “impact” guy.  He also doesn’t offer much defensive versatility.  

I like Mobley/Green at least for high floors and really good baselines but maybe a sleeper guy has more absolute upside.  Not sure how to rank Cade/Suggs/Kuminga.  Could depend on “fit”.  I wouldn’t be shocked if more than a few guys in this class turn into All Stars.  I also wouldn’t be shocked if NO player from this draft class ever wins MVP.  Scottie Barnes and Franz Wagner could relatively underperform their entire careers then randomly win Finals MVP awards.

You don’t have Roko anywhere as an international prospect?

4 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

You don’t have Roko anywhere as an international prospect?

Not sure where he gets drafted.  I think Vrenz and Badji have more pure upside and I like lanky 3’s who can shoot and pass (Vrenz) although maybe I always overrate athletic 7 footers who can dunk and block shots (Badji).  Sengun has more buzz/hype at the moment than Roko so I am guessing he has more trade value.  Roko looks like a solid second rounder but he can probably be mocked anywhere from late first to mid-second basically.  I don’t think he has elite upside in terms of shooting, scoring or anything else but he looks really solid/toolsy.  Maybe he’s a guy you buy a pick for if he ends up in a draft range where he offers lots of value.  Not sure I have a player comp for him.  I do think he relatively outperforms bigger “name” guys — at least a couple of guys like Moody/Bouknight/Ziaire Williams/BJ Boston/Kispert and maybe even a player like Scottie Barnes/Springer/Greg Brown III.  

I think my top guys are basically Vrenz/Badji as the go-for-broke-hope-you-get-Gobert-And-Durant-Lite picks then Mobley, Jalen Green, Jalen Johnson, Cade, Josh Gidddey and I can also see the intrigue with Kuminga especially if he can play lots of 4.  More smooth than freakishly athletic or explosive he still has lots of upside in different facets of the game — slashing, grab-and-go, decent passing, rim runner/roller, and the potential for dynamic versatility on defense.  

... after that I think we could see a “run” on point guards like Suggs as well as Mitchell/Butler/Springer.  That would then push Sengun, Wagner, Kispert, Barnes and those guys down the draft board a bit.

Ho hum, what can this team do with a 14 pick?  I would like to roll the dice on a Zhaire Williams. Feeling it will be Franz Wagner or Corey Kispert. Yah. 

22 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Ho hum, what can this team do with a 14 pick?  I would like to roll the dice on a Zhaire Williams. Feeling it will be Franz Wagner or Corey Kispert. Yah. 

I bet we work out all 3 (and a few other players).  

Whoever it is i want a Dawg.   Any way we can get Davion Mitchell?    Need a dude with some fire.   Dillon showed fire back in his Oregon days and it has translated.   Which one of these young'ins is a fierce competitor and in our range?

With the 14th pick, the Memphis Grizzlies ought to select Tre Mann.  He fits the team perfectly.  He is the best shooter off the dribble in the draft (barring maybe Cade Cunningham).  He can play either guard position.  The things he needs to work on are easily improvable.  It is HARD to learn how to shoot off the dribble.  Many guys never develop that skill.  Tre has it in spades.  

3 hours ago, kevofrommempho said:

With the 14th pick, the Memphis Grizzlies ought to select Tre Mann.  He fits the team perfectly.  He is the best shooter off the dribble in the draft (barring maybe Cade Cunningham).  He can play either guard position.  The things he needs to work on are easily improvable.  It is HARD to learn how to shoot off the dribble.  Many guys never develop that skill.  Tre has it in spades.  

6'5".  I could get behind that kinda talent. I think he could be had with a late 1st too. Maybe a trade down with the Rockets or Knicks since they both have two picks later on. 

4 hours ago, Dwash said:

6'5".  I could get behind that kinda talent. I think he could be had with a late 1st too. Maybe a trade down with the Rockets or Knicks since they both have two picks later on. 

I think Tre Mann is moving up.  He might have some awesome workouts.  I think he is a 10-15 guy.  I also think that we get a run on point guards in the draft — even if I think Suggs might not be worth a top 3 or 4 pick.  Suggs/Mann/Davion Mitchell/Jared Butler offer lots of value after the big names like Green/Mobley/Cade/Kuminga are off the board as well as some upside guys with maybe lower floors and more question marks (Jalen Johnson/Josh Giddey).  ... if there is a run in point guards then Sharife Cooper might go 10-15 spots “too high” and it pushes other high-end prospects like Franz Wagner, Scottie Barnes, Alperen Sengun, Chris Duarte and a few more solid players closer towards the end of the first round or even into the top of the 2nd.  

The Thunder should go ALL IN for high end depth in this draft — but for my money the next few stud draft picks look like Emoni Bates (shades of Kobe and Penny with Deluxe George Gervin vibes), Bronny James (shades of Russ, Lillard and Suggs???), and I am thinking Chet Holmgren if you buy some Bill Walton/Kevin Durant hybrid but I think that Green/Mobley/Cade could be as good or even better with Kuminga as another good one (even better if he can play lots of 4), then Jalen Johnson, Giddey, Vrenz and Badji potentially having more absolute upside but maybe a bit lower floors, a few more questions marks and decidedly less pedigree than some of the other potential prodigies.  

Is Jayson Tatum Lite a solid comp for Franz Wagner?  His metrics are great and he has good size/length but doesn’t seem super athletic or long and more of a streaky shooter than a knock-down one.  With shades of Toni Kukoc....

19 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Sam Presti scouting in Memphis today. OKC has lost 18 of their last 19 games, who can blame him for skipping that?

I think there were tickets for this. Completely forgot about it.  Banchero sounds good.  I think some mocks even have him over Chet Holmgren in the ridiculously early 22 NBA mock drafts.  I have Chet at 1 and might even keep him there all year.  

‘22 might be our trade-up draft.  Pair our pick with the Jazz pick (and throw in a protected Warriors pick) and see if we can do some damage.  Otherwise, maybe we trade OUT and try to get a ‘23 first for our pick AND the Jazz pick.  Then use FOUR first round picks to move up — no matter what (or trade them and a contract for a big name player).  

Here’s my Advanced Stats Top 25.  This is a ranking of the top college guys who have entered the draft.  I will post last year’s rankings soon... our guys did well.  

Advanced Stats Top 25

1. Neemias Queta  96.099

2. Franz Wagner  84.858

3.  Evan Mobley  64.785

4.  Davion Mitchell  56.633

5.  Jared Butler 51.743

6.  Miles McBride  38.316 

7.  Jay Huff 38.259

8.  Chris Duarte. 36.763

9.  Jalen Suggs. 32.616

10. Herbert Jones. 30.635

11.  Dejon Jarreau. 23.812

12.  Isaiah Livers. 23.135

13.  McKinley Wright IV. 22.078

14.  Jalen Johnson. 20.177

15.  Joel Ayayi. 19.932

16.  Luka Garza. 17.705

17.  Isaiah Jackson. 16.599

18.  Scottie Barnes. 14.475

19.  Quentin Grimes. 14.219

20.  Ayo Dosunmu. 13.653

21.  Aaron Henry. 13.409

22.  Aamir Simms. 13.331

23.  Marcus Zegarowski. 13.216

24.  Moses Wright. 13.092

25.  Paul Scruggs. 13.021

10 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Here’s my Advanced Stats Top 25.  This is a ranking of the top college guys who have entered the draft.  I will post last year’s rankings soon... our guys did well.  

Advanced Stats Top 25

1. Neemias Queta  96.099

2. Franz Wagner  84.858

3.  Evan Mobley  64.785

4.  Davion Mitchell  56.633

5.  Jared Butler 51.743

6.  Miles McBride  38.316 

7.  Jay Huff 38.259

8.  Chris Duarte. 36.763

9.  Jalen Suggs. 32.616

10. Herbert Jones. 30.635

11.  Dejon Jarreau. 23.812

12.  Isaiah Livers. 23.135

13.  McKinley Wright IV. 22.078

14.  Jalen Johnson. 20.177

15.  Joel Ayayi. 19.932

16.  Luka Garza. 17.705

17.  Isaiah Jackson. 16.599

18.  Scottie Barnes. 14.475

19.  Quentin Grimes. 14.219

20.  Ayo Dosunmu. 13.653

21.  Aaron Henry. 13.409

22.  Aamir Simms. 13.331

23.  Marcus Zegarowski. 13.216

24.  Moses Wright. 13.092

25.  Paul Scruggs. 13.021

I like Queta too but not #1 overall!

50 minutes ago, kevofrommempho said:

There are lies, **** lies and statistics. 🤣

2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

There are lies, **** lies and statistics. 🤣

Harry Truman said, "Give me a one-armed economist."

9 hours ago, kevofrommempho said:

I’ve seen him fairly high on some boards but I don’t think he has a ton of value before the 45-50ish range.  I don’t like his frame, he’s not that fast and he isn’t a great 3 point shooter.  But maybe there aren’t that many bigs worth taking early.  

His metrics are better than Jay Huff but Huff has great advanced stats too (Huff also did last year).  Another player to look at with the Blazers 2nd round pick but I’m not sure he should go higher than that.  

8 hours ago, The J Crew said:

Harry Truman said, "Give me a one-armed economist."

The dismal science of mock drafts!

On 5/6/2021 at 12:30 PM, The J Crew said:

Sam Presti scouting in Memphis today. OKC has lost 18 of their last 19 games, who can blame him for skipping that?

Some people really like Chet Holmgren.  Others like Banchero.  Although some of those same people think that ‘22 is gonna be a weak draft overall.  What do you guys think?  Could be an important one for us since we get the Jazz pick next year.  Two 1sts (and maybe a future first and the Warriors pick for the next year) could help us move up if we like a player in the 5-10 range.

An interesting Moneyball/contrarian draft strategy for us might be to draft BOTH Michigan forward prospects — Franz Wagner and Isaiah Livers.  Both have really good metrics and headlined a great Michigan Wolverines team. Livers was injured so with a healthy Livers maybe they end up as a Final Four team.  Both guys look like fairly unatheltic small forwards but Franz can pass and is around 6’9 with a decent wingspan and Livers is a solid shooter.  Both guys have good all-around tools so maybe Livers projects as a guy with shades of Slo Mo and Dillon with a few Klay Thompson flashes.  Franz can do a bit of everything and could be a really awesome off-ball player for a Grizzlies team who, let’s face it, already has enough guys who need shots/touches.   I think that Wagner and Livers would give us lots of options to give us high end 5 man lineups.  It’s all about plus/minus lineups and I think we can do a lot of mix/matching with Franz and even Livers.  Both guys allow you to go either big or small.  Franz could be the secondary passer/play maker we are looking to pair with Ja Morant long-term.  ... both players should complement our Ja/Jaren/Jonas/Dillon/Bane/Clarke core.  

On 5/4/2021 at 10:00 AM, kevofrommempho said:

I could go for this 

On 5/4/2021 at 10:49 AM, GrizzTigerFan said:

Whoever it is i want a Dawg.   Any way we can get Davion Mitchell?    Need a dude with some fire.   Dillon showed fire back in his Oregon days and it has translated.   Which one of these young'ins is a fierce competitor and in our range?

I dont want to draft him as high as he is supposed to go. I would rather go with Jalen Johnson in that situation, but I agree that Mitchell would be a great fit here.

I want us to end the draft with two good players, maybe 3, if we get out of it with Jalen Johnson and Quentin Grimes that would be amazing. 

We should be looking to package the pick to either move up in the draft or trade for a player that gets us to the next level. No need to bring in multiple rookies who have marginal skill sets who aren’t better than our current players. 

23 minutes ago, QMemphis said:

We should be looking to package the pick to either move up in the draft or trade for a player that gets us to the next level. No need to bring in multiple rookies who have marginal skill sets who aren’t better than our current players. 

I know, but when Grimes is at his best I see some Klay Thompson in him. I agree, if we could move from Jalen Johnson to Cade Cunningham I would do it.