Grizzhype

New Official 2021 Grind City Draft Thread & Lottery Picks Watch!

IMO drafting Mobley in top 5 is a mistake...just as Wiseman...Drafting non Euro big in a lottery is a mistake. USA bigs do not have required basketball skills. They just dominate smaller guys in college and look awesome. In the NBA twigs/rim runners  can be had for the minimum. Trying to find good skilled USA bigs is very hard. If they have skills they are soft like KAT or Turner. Only bigs who are good ...well AD and BAM (undersized big)...KD is special....but US doesn't produse elite level bigs. Best case you end up with Ayton's ...if you're stupid you get someone like Bagley... 

1 hour ago, I❤️JV said:

IMO drafting Mobley in top 5 is a mistake...just as Wiseman...Drafting non Euro big in a lottery is a mistake. USA bigs do not have required basketball skills. They just dominate smaller guys in college and look awesome. In the NBA twigs/rim runners  can be had for the minimum. Trying to find good skilled USA bigs is very hard. If they have skills they are soft like KAT or Turner. Only bigs who are good ...well AD and BAM (undersized big)...KD is special....but US doesn't produse elite level bigs. Best case you end up with Ayton's ...if you're stupid you get someone like Bagley... 

All the high end guys may be a bit “over-rated”.  If so you can get away with drafting someone like Evan Mobley in the top 5.  Ironically he reminds me of the guy that Jaren was SUPPOSED to be: a high end 2-way utility big man at the 4 and 5 who can block shots, protect the rim, offer versatility on defense, rim-run, rebound some and space the floor a bit with a solid shooting touch.  And if Mobley can turn into a Jarenesque 3 point volume sniper then he should be the top overall pick.  

2 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

That is a ridiculous statement.  Just because there are currently a lot of great non-US bigs in the league right now that does not mean the US doesn't produce elite level bigs.  Even disregarding the absurdity of that statement historically (Shaq, TD, KG, Wilt, David Robinson etc) there are currently many elite bigs who played college ball in the US (AD, Embiid, KAT, Draymond, Zion).  Just a stupid statement to make.

I for one would take Mobley over anyone else in this draft.

9 hours ago, kevofrommempho said:

That is a ridiculous statement.  Just because there are currently a lot of great non-US bigs in the league right now that does not mean the US doesn't produce elite level bigs.  Even disregarding the absurdity of that statement historically (Shaq, TD, KG, Wilt, David Robinson etc) there are currently many elite bigs who played college ball in the US (AD, Embiid, KAT, Draymond, Zion).  Just a stupid statement to make.

I for one would take Mobley over anyone else in this draft.

It could well be...someone could take Mobley over Suggs...Wiseman was taken at 2 and there is a good chance he's a bust...someone took Ayton and Bagley over Luka...Embiid is African ...KAT is soft...Draymond and Zion are not truly biggs. AD is special. From all positions on a court bigs 6.11 and over are best imported from Europe.

2 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

It could well be...someone could take Mobley over Suggs...Wiseman was taken at 2 and there is a good chance he's a bust...someone took Ayton and Bagley over Luka...Embiid is African ...KAT is soft...Draymond and Zion are not truly biggs. AD is special. From all positions on a court bigs 6.11 and over are best imported from Europe.

Embiid is African but he played high school and college ball in America.  Anyway your argument was that bigs are best from Europe.  Africa ain't Europe.

By your logic one could have easily said Luka isn't going to be elite because no elite guards come from Europe.  

Al Horford was an elite skilled big man before his swift decline over the last couple years, but I spent a good solid 30 seconds or so thinking about it and he is the only one I could come up with besides AD. Like someone mentioned previously I don't count Draymond or Zion either.

Cases could be made for Brook Lopez and LaMarcus Aldridge, but they are both in decline now as well.

Christian Wood has potential to get there.

8 minutes ago, KyleB said:

Al Horford was an elite skilled big man before his swift decline over the last couple years, but I spent a good solid 30 seconds or so thinking about it and he is the only one I could come up with besides AD. Like someone mentioned previously I don't count Draymond or Zion either.

Cases could be made for Brook Lopez and LaMarcus Aldridge, but they are both in decline now as well.

Christian Wood has potential to get there.

Al Horford is from Dominican Republic not US.

I❤️JV has a point in that generally speaking bigs from Europe (far iffier proposition for bigs under 7ft) are better rounded when they become eligible for the draft and this is a relatively recent trend. That's not the same as saying that all or even the majority of US raised bigs are bound to become busts.

I do think there is a degree of lack of recognition among some NBA FOs that a good deal of US raised bigs arrive to the draft overhyped and "over-stated" because they plow through much smaller players through the college season, hence the Bagleys, Aytons, Bambas, Okafors... who are drafted purely on potential and in the expectation that they'll quickly grow into their roles when in fact they lack almost all the required fundamentals to play in the NBA.

We did learn the lesson (I hope) when we drafted Thabeet. Other FOs don't seem to be learning yet.

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

We need a Big wing.   Just draft whoever falls in our range that has size.   

No. No. No. Don't draft for need. Draft the best player available and use free agency and trades to fill needs. The draft is the only time a team has to acquire talent. Otherwise they have to compete with opponents to get the player they want. Don't waste a draft pick looking to fill a need on the team. 

3 hours ago, chipc3 said:

No. No. No. Don't draft for need. Draft the best player available and use free agency and trades to fill needs. The draft is the only time a team has to acquire talent. Otherwise they have to compete with opponents to get the player they want. Don't waste a draft pick looking to fill a need on the team. 

But that sentiment isn't as important when you're not in the lottery and guys clearly aren't as talented as others

4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

....fortunately GTF or ALT GRIND ...are not really drafting for us. 

1 hour ago, toocoolkellz said:

But that sentiment isn't as important when you're not in the lottery and guys clearly aren't as talented as others

One could argue it is even more appropriate outside of the lottery as your chances of wasting your pick on a guy who can't play are much greater.

Just now, kevofrommempho said:

One could argue it is even more appropriate outside of the lottery as your chances of wasting your pick on a guy who can't play are much greater.

bingo!   Bane wasn't just BPA he addressed a need. 

1 hour ago, I❤️JV said:

....fortunately GTF or ALT GRIND ...are not really drafting for us. 

See the source image

5 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I think we can come out of the draft with 2 of the top 10 guys (maybe even one of the top 4 or 5) — 3 of the top 10ish players if we buy an extra second rounder. This draft probably lacks a LeBron/Luka/AD/Jokic/Steph/Harden/Durant and probably a Zion or even a Ja/Trae/LaMelo but there’s a lot of “high end” depth.  The top “stars” out of this draft could be drafted outside the top 3-5 or even the lotto.

10 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Truth be told its easy to say that but it doesnt work in reality...  For one thing after a season or two, many of the so-called "best players available" will be considered draft busts...  Then everyone will re-rank the players based on Nba production not projection...  

Jarrett Culver picked #6 in 2019 is a perfect example for this... But alot of factors play into why players are successful... ie..  Playing time, system, injuries etc  Here's a video just posted about it...

I like him as a Grizz reclamation project tho...  Grizz FO should send a couple 2nd rounders and pull another Melton on the Twolves...😁

dude just seems like a Grizz FO pick in the 2nd rd.   

• Upper classman - check
  • Ivy league school - check
  • Shoots 3s - check
  • plays defense- check
  • squeaky clean personality - check

6'8' athletic ComboForward that can defend 2-4 and shoots 3s  seems like a Grizz value pickup to me. 

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

dude just seems like a Grizz FO pick in the 2nd rd.   

• Upper classman - check
  • Ivy league school - check
  • Shoots 3s - check
  • plays defense- check
  • squeaky clean personality - check

6'8' athletic ComboForward that can defend 2-4 and shoots 3s  seems like a Grizz value pickup to me. 

Good potential 2nd rounder here

13 hours ago, kevofrommempho said:

But in that position its harder to determine who is the best player. 

13 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

bingo!   Bane wasn't just BPA he addressed a need. 

BPA is kind of a hindsight idea especially that late in the draft.  Truthfully if Bane were taking as the BPA then he would've be drafted much higher.  Bane was a draft for need