Grizzhype

New Official 2021 Grind City Draft Thread & Lottery Picks Watch!

2 minutes ago, Thomas said:

If he hits you get an extra year of rookie salary if picked in the first. He looks interesting and quite skilled for his size. Who knows.

Yeah I believe usually 2nd round picks are 2 years unguaranteed then you have to offer a new contract. 30th pick is two year guaranteed then team option for 2 years on a rookie deal. Good value, but I don't know anything about this guy

Utah traded this pick to Memphis as part of an undisclosed package. They surprised many around the league by selecting Santi Aldama from Loyola (MD). Aldama made a name for himself on the international FIBA circuit playing for the Spanish national team, winning the U18 European Championship in 2019 and being named MVP of the tournament. Aldama had a mysterious draft process, not conducting any publicly known workouts with NBA teams and electing to decline an invitation to the NBA draft combine, citing a desire to "continue his career in Spain." He openly discouraged teams from selecting him, going as far as to turn down Zoom interviews after returning to his home country. 

3 minutes ago, Thomas said:

If he hits you get an extra year of rookie salary if picked in the first. He looks interesting and quite skilled for his size. Who knows.

Yep. They did the same thing last year w Bane for the same reason.

10 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

WTHHHH Man i am DOne

someone's definitely going to have to post a thread titled "Santi Aldama" Guide.

Ranked 36th on consensus ranking by The Athletic

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

Utah traded this pick to Memphis as part of an undisclosed package. They surprised many around the league by selecting Santi Aldama from Loyola (MD). Aldama made a name for himself on the international FIBA circuit playing for the Spanish national team, winning the U18 European Championship in 2019 and being named MVP of the tournament. Aldama had a mysterious draft process, not conducting any publicly known workouts with NBA teams and electing to decline an invitation to the NBA draft combine, citing a desire to "continue his career in Spain." He openly discouraged teams from selecting him, going as far as to turn down Zoom interviews after returning to his home country. 

Then why declare at all? Odd. 

Is he working out with Juan Carlos Navarro and never returning?

2 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

Props for the deadpan.

I’m serious!

Oh my God. It's so bad that I'm now laughing. Chip, great find, but where did you find that?

Our 2nd 1st round pick "openly discouraged teams from selecting him".  W T actual F???

Jared Butler was medically cleared, correct?  Why is he still on the board?  I actually thought r for a sec that we had traded up for him instead of someone I never heard of.  

6'11"215 lbs Loyola (MD)
14 POS RK
59 OVR RK

Most NBA teams assumed he received some type of assurance that he'll be drafted (a "promise") or will receive a two-way contract after going undrafted, and hearing his name called Thursday likely confirms that he was shut down by Memphis several months ago, likely much higher than what they thought they needed to when they made the promise.

Aldama is a unique prospect at 6-foot-11, posting fantasy numbers in the Patriot League as a sophomore at 21.2 points, 10.1 rebounds 2.3 assists and 1.7 blocks, shooting 59% from 2-point range and 37% from 3. Despite having the height of a big man, Aldama was asked to play a primary creation role for Loyola, pushing the ball off the defensive glass and being utilized frequently in pick-and-roll sets where he showed intriguing ball-handling and passing ability, changing speeds fluidity out of hesitation moves, and finishing with creativity around the basket. His defense and lack of speed were considered his big shortcomings along with his at-times streaky jumper. --Jonathan Givony

1 minute ago, The J Crew said:

Oh my God. It's so bad that I'm now laughing. Chip, great find, but where did you find that?

Our 2nd 1st round pick "openly discouraged teams from selecting him".  W T actual F???

ESPN. It's Givony's write up. I posted the entire thing above.

1 minute ago, grizzknob said:

Jared Butler was medically cleared, correct?  Why is he still on the board?  I actually thought r for a sec that we had traded up for him instead of someone I never heard of.  

He and Ayo is really stranger. We should have just stayed there at 17th and get some late 1st and early 2nds.

5 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Holy. forking. shirtballs.

Our front-office is way too smart for me to comprehend what the heck they are doing.  I hope they are right.  I'm outta here.

1 minute ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

ESPN. It's Givony's write up. I posted the entire thing above.

Thank you. For some reason I couldn’t get it to paste.

1 minute ago, The J Crew said:

Our thoughts exactly, Dean.

2 minutes ago, pjs said:

Our front-office is way too smart for me to comprehend what the heck they are doing.  I hope they are right.  I'm outta here.

We went Full Rainman.