Grizzhype

New Official 2021 Grind City Draft Thread & Lottery Picks Watch!

3 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Dean Demakis just put out his final Big Board. Had Giddey Up at 7, here is his profile: 

7. Josh Giddey6’8 PG, Australia

Giddey is the Harry Potter of basketball, as he looks like and passes like a wizard as a 6’8″ boy wonder from Australia.

He is likely the best passing prospect of all time for his height, as at the tender age of 18 he posted a monster 36.3% assist rate while smashing the eye test to boot. Aside from making excellent reads and quick decisions that put his teammates in excellent position to score, he also is incredibly crafty and accurate with his passes, as if he has the ball on a string.

SThat alone gives him monster upside, but the big mystery is whether he offers enough else to complement his passing. He has short arms with a 6’7.5″ wingspan, and is not particularly strong or athletic and got roasted on defense playing alongside grown men in the Australian league.

And most importantly, he needs to learn to be able to create for himself off the dribble to unlock his passing potential. Or like Lonzo Ball he may be relegated to an ordinary role player whose passing value is not fully realized.

His advantage over Lonzo is that he moves more fluidly, and at his age has time to learn to improve his pedestrian 29% 3P and 69% FT from Australia. If he can develop into a good shooter and learn to pressure the rim to some extent, he has significant offensive upside, and could be something akin to 6’8″ Steve Nash.

But if he does not develop the scoring ability to set up passing opportunities, it’s difficult to know how good he will be. He may not be as good defensively as Lonzo, although his intelligence and height give him potential of becoming decent on that end in spite of his physical limitations. And he did show improved defense in Australia’s matchup vs Nigeria earlier this month.

Giddey is a high risk, high reward prospect. His passing, youth, and height give him immense upside, but his flaws give him greater bust risk than everybody in the higher tier.

Giddey/Kuminga makes too much sense for Orlando at 5 and 8.  For that reason I suspect that the Magic will pass on BOTH for two MEH prospects in Scottie Barnes and Moses Moody.

2 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Giddey/Kuminga makes too much sense for Orlando at 5 and 8.  For that reason I suspect that the Magic will pass on BOTH for two MEH prospects in Scottie Barnes and Moses Moody.

I think Barnes at 5 is close to a lock now. At 8???

Grizzlies should make a good offer to GS if Wiseman is in play.  I'd give up the #10 straight up.

3 minutes ago, pjs said:

Grizzlies should make a good offer to GS if Wiseman is in play.  I'd give up the #10 straight up.

This board has to get over the Wiseman infatuation. Maybe after this draft?

13 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Dean Demakis just put out his final Big Board. Had Giddey Up at 7, here is his profile: 

7. Josh Giddey6’8 PG, Australia

Giddey is the Harry Potter of basketball, as he looks like and passes like a wizard as a 6’8″ boy wonder from Australia.

He is likely the best passing prospect of all time for his height, as at the tender age of 18 he posted a monster 36.3% assist rate while smashing the eye test to boot. Aside from making excellent reads and quick decisions that put his teammates in excellent position to score, he also is incredibly crafty and accurate with his passes, as if he has the ball on a string.

SThat alone gives him monster upside, but the big mystery is whether he offers enough else to complement his passing. He has short arms with a 6’7.5″ wingspan, and is not particularly strong or athletic and got roasted on defense playing alongside grown men in the Australian league.

And most importantly, he needs to learn to be able to create for himself off the dribble to unlock his passing potential. Or like Lonzo Ball he may be relegated to an ordinary role player whose passing value is not fully realized.

His advantage over Lonzo is that he moves more fluidly, and at his age has time to learn to improve his pedestrian 29% 3P and 69% FT from Australia. If he can develop into a good shooter and learn to pressure the rim to some extent, he has significant offensive upside, and could be something akin to 6’8″ Steve Nash.

But if he does not develop the scoring ability to set up passing opportunities, it’s difficult to know how good he will be. He may not be as good defensively as Lonzo, although his intelligence and height give him potential of becoming decent on that end in spite of his physical limitations. And he did show improved defense in Australia’s matchup vs Nigeria earlier this month.

Giddey is a high risk, high reward prospect. His passing, youth, and height give him immense upside, but his flaws give him greater bust risk than everybody in the higher tier.

Do not like this guy

1 minute ago, toocoolkellz said:

Do not like this guy

He's a roll of the dice. Maybe we had somebody in Australia scouting him all year. We know the Grizz had people at the Vegas Australia team workouts. But Giddey apparently didn't make the 12 man Olympic team. 

2 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

Do not like this guy

Upside of 6’8” Steve Nash?

Yeh sounds like trash. Haha

2 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

I keep hearing people compare Giddey to Luka sigh 😕 

Lol no. Nowhere near an offensive threat. If anything he is a Ricky Rubio type player. 

I haven't heard that. I've heard smaller Ben Simmons. He doesn't appear to be a scorer.

With that being said, I don't buy that Ja can't play with another passer because he's too ball dominant as I have seen some post on here. If that player is playing at the 3 or the 4, it could actually be beneficial to Ja in some ways. He can move without the ball and finish at the rim. A player with a keen eye for passing would definitely help Ja up his scoring.

Yeah, he's not really like Luka at all. The white guy comparison again. Lonzo was a pretty good comp by Demakis. Just have to hope Giddey develops a shot, if he's our guy. 

Ha. Don't see it.  Giddey is more of a pass first/pass second guy.  Luka is more of a ball-dominant high usage scorer who can also hunt for assists.  Giddey is more Magic Lite (like LaMelo Ball).  Luka is more like the second coming of Rick Barry....

Ironically, I wanted Zion to complement Luka (and I said so on this board right after the 2018 draft) AND I thought that Josh Giddey made too much sense for the Pels as the main engine for Zion Ball (potentially EPIC Giddey/Zion two man game).  

In this draft, the big, versatile dude you just give the ball to and let him try to play bully ball for his own stuff OR to hit the open man/grab-go is probably Jalen Johnson.

2 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Lol no. Nowhere near an offensive threat. If anything he is a Ricky Rubio type player. 

I remember being REALLY REALLY high on Ricky Rubio before the 2009 draft.  Then I cooled on him (I wanted Tyreke Evans... also thought that Steph/Conley/Mayo would be too small for a guard rotation).  Now, I was cooler on Giddey then really warmed up to him.  I had LaMelo Ball at 3 last year, and he was my pick to win ROTY (on a dinner side bet)... if Giddey is just a "poor man's LaMelo Ball" I am pretty sure you make that bet at 10.

3 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I haven't heard that. I've heard smaller Ben Simmons. He doesn't appear to be a scorer.

With that being said, I don't buy that Ja can't play with another passer because he's too ball dominant as I have seen some post on here. If that player is playing at the 3 or the 4, it could actually be beneficial to Ja in some ways. He can move without the ball and finish at the rim. A player with a keen eye for passing would definitely help Ja up his scoring.

At least FO and coach staff seems to think that way if they select him, also they tried to play Ja/Tyus together but they didn't have ideal size. Giddey shooting, and even more effort on D is what scaries me.

Think I have Jalen Johnson too low....  I think I have him 16 or something.  

BUT I think the team that gets him has to play Jalen Johnson Ball aka Snowflake LeBron meets Air Luka Lite.

Not even sure you can give Cade or Green the ball and let him go.  Both have to play off-ball more.

But, IF you can't play the on-ball Jalen Johnson Show then JJ as a grab-go 4/combo forward turns him into a flaky version of James Worthy (with more passing/defense).

2 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

I remember being REALLY REALLY high on Ricky Rubio before the 2009 draft.  Then I cooled on him (I wanted Tyreke Evans... also thought that Steph/Conley/Mayo would be too small for a guard rotation).  Now, I was cooler on Giddey then really warmed up to him.  I had LaMelo Ball at 3 last year, and he was my pick to win ROTY (on a dinner side bet)... if Giddey is just a "poor man's LaMelo Ball" I am pretty sure you make that bet at 10.

I wanted Tyreke and Rubio, and I was wrong. We passed on Curry and Harden because the players we had, now we can pass on shooters and scorers. I actually want Kispert and Murphy over Giddey, if Bouknight or Moody didn't fall. 

Just now, Ja_Rules said:

I wanted Tyreke and Rubio, and I was wrong. We passed on Curry and Harden because the players we had, now we can pass on shooters and scorers. I actually want Kispert and Murphy over Giddey, if Bouknight or Moody didn't fall. 

Trey is at 14 or 15 on some mocks.  I have him at 5.  Split the difference and he offers fair value at 10.  Trey represents one heck of an archetype.  I also like Grimes a bit more than Moody (literally... I have Grimes one spot ahead of Moody with Grimes at 11).

#GrimeTime just has an ALT GRIND feel to it....

2 minutes ago, Ja_Rules said:

At least FO and coach staff seems to think that way if they select him, also they tried to play Ja/Tyus together but they didn't have ideal size. Giddey shooting, and even more effort on D is what scaries me.

Giddy is weird. I don't think there is a player in the league with his combo of skills. You can either picture that as good because he is unique or bad because they could mean his skillet is not translatable. The closest comp I can think of is a not as good Ben Simmons on offense without the athleticism or defense. That is not what I desire in a player

1 minute ago, Thegoodguys said:

Giddy is weird. I don't think there is a player in the league with his combo of skills. You can either picture that as good because he is unique or bad because they could mean his skillet is not translatable. The closest comp I can think of is a not as good Ben Simmons on offense without the athleticism or defense. That is not what I desire in a player

His closest comps are Anderson and Ingles 

3 minutes ago, Ja_Rules said:

Tyreke played like Houston Rockets Era James Harden way back in COLLEGE but with more athleticism, length, and defense.  His shot never really came around....

I was (kinda) ALL IN on that archetype... turns out that James Harden ended up playing Tyreke Ball better than Tyreke did.

In an alternate universe, Kyle Lowry/Steph Curry/Tony Allen became the greatest 3 guard rotation of ALL TIME.

2 minutes ago, Thegoodguys said:

I have him at 3.  I have Cade at 4.  With Giddey types you wanna compare him to Larry Bird, BUT he's more of a Magic Lite type (more of a passer/rebounder).  BUT, I think he can be Larry Legend Lite off the ball.  Ironically, two of my Ja comps were Tiny Archibald/Dennis Johnson and BOTH guards won rings with Larry Bird.  

I am NOT a big Cade fan.  I actually moved him way back up from where I had him... but Cade DOES give me some Larry Bird vibes....

Both guys aren't elite talent guys or athletes like Green/Mobley and will need great ecosystems to flourish in.  Memphis? Yep!  Detroit? Nope (probably)!

26 minutes ago, SC Grizz said:

Upside of 6’8” Steve Nash?

Yeh sounds like trash. Haha

If he can shoot like Nash, he'd be a top 4 pick.

This is the funny part about what guys like Chad Ford do. Teams call him for info on other teams. Chad gets info from that team for dishing what he knows. Is like a sorority gossip fest.

9 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

I have him at 3.  I have Cade at 4.  With Giddey types you wanna compare him to Larry Bird, BUT he's more of a Magic Lite type (more of a passer/rebounder).  BUT, I think he can be Larry Legend Lite off the ball.  Ironically, two of my Ja comps were Tiny Archibald/Dennis Johnson and BOTH guards won rings with Larry Bird.  

I am NOT a big Cade fan.  I actually moved him way back up from where I had him... but Cade DOES give me some Larry Bird vibes....

Both guys aren't elite talent guys or athletes like Green/Mobley and will need great ecosystems to flourish in.  Memphis? Yep!  Detroit? Nope (probably)!

Sounds like Cade should definitely be the #1 pick now. Weren't you down on Ayton and Zion also???