Grizzhype

New Official 2021 Grind City Draft Thread & Lottery Picks Watch!

Just now, gamecocks11 said:

I think the playoffs exposed our lack of ball handlers. When Ja went out it was just Tyus and then Grayson, DeAnthony, and Bane aren't great ball handlers.

Maybe they see Giddey as a potential Kyle Anderson replacement since he's coming into the last year of his deal. Giddey can handle and then is tall enough to guard multiple defenders and also play alongside our group of wings.

Ziaire is also high on my board - I think he's got more tools than Moody who I just see as a catch and shoot guy who I wouldn't trust to handle the basketball. Wagner is just meh for me, doesn't move the need on this team. Is he that much better than someone like Clarke? Or hell even Konchar?

Wagner is a 6'10' wing that is a jack of all trades and a plus defender.   That can be an extremely valuable piece. 

I think we need to understand that a guy doesn't have to be an AllStar player to be a 3rd core member.   High level role players make really great 3rd pieces too. 

Ja is the SuperStar Jaren has AllStar upside all we are missing is definitive 3rd -and because we have Dillon the 3rd piece doesn't have to be AllStar level too. 

So guys with High Level Role player potential like Moody and Wagner can still work.   Jrue and Mikal Bridges are basically just high level role players. 

1 minute ago, toocoolkellz said:

And this is why the more I think about it the more I dislike this trade. To top it off neither of them are great defenders either. If we aren't getting a plug and play, we could've got a project without moving from 17. 

Agree to a point. A rotation guy can still be very valuable to a playoff team.

If they could just somehow turn 10 into 7 and 14 - they could take whoever everyone wants at 7 and then grab my guy Duarte at 14 and call it a day after drafting 40.

2 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

And this is why the more I think about it the more I dislike this trade. To top it off neither of them are great defenders either. If we aren't getting a plug and play, we could've got a project without moving from 17. 

From your mouth to Kleiman's ears.

What if the Pels sit there at 17 and get Trey Murphy? And we took on all that extra contract and gave up Jonas? Not good. 

2 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

Think Chess not checkers.   The real move was never to 10 they want higher.   But its easier to get higher with the 10 than it was with the 17.  

I like the trade.  I think Adams fit will be better next to Jaren than JV was.    

1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Wagner is a 6'10' wing that is a jack of all trades and a plus defender.   That can be an extremely valuable piece. 

I think we need to understand that a guy doesn't have to be an AllStar player to be a 3rd core member.   High level role players make really great 3rd pieces too. 

Ja is the SuperStar Jaren has AllStar upside all we are missing is definitive 3rd -and because we have Dillon the 3rd piece doesn't have to be AllStar level too. 

So guys with High Level Role player potential like Moody and Wagner can still work.   Jrue and Mikal Bridges are basically just high level role players. 

He's a plus defender in college and he has a handful of weaknesses, much noticeably that he isn't that great a shooter from outside. Good form and mechanics, but he really faded late last year when the games took on meaning - he shot 2/16 from 3 in 4 NCAAT games and going back to the Ohio State B10 semifinal loss, he was 4/23 from 3. That gives me pause. He also not a shot creator.

2 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

I'm excited all the talk and speculation will be behind us after today

"Free agency has just entered the chat"

As a Michigan bball fan, I do not want Wagner.

I think it’s interesting how poor he did once Livers went out with an injury…and he had a very bad cold streak when playing against decent competition in the Big10 and NCAA tournament.

Just now, Grizzled Vet said:

Exactly. This is just the first slow step.

Hollinger said today most of the free agent deals are in place, done at the Combine a few weeks ago. But everybody knows they will get fined if they talk about them. 

1 minute ago, Grizzliesfan777 said:

I think it’s interesting how poor he did once Livers went out with an injury…and he had a very bad cold streak when playing against decent competition in the Big10 and NCAA tournament.

I'm getting more depressed. 

Feels like me last year saying I didn't think Wiseman was that good. 

1 minute ago, Grizzliesfan777 said:

I think it’s interesting how poor he did once Livers went out with an injury…and he had a very bad cold streak when playing g decent teams in the Big10 and NCAA tournament. 

I remember how Sonny Vaccaro used to come on Chris Vernon's show and say he wouldn't base too much on their college playing.

6 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

That one won't take several weeks/months of speculation. Usually most of the big free agent deals happen in the first week or so. The first day of free agency is usually pretty fun. 

Re the Magic at 8. They are shopping Terrence Ross and Gary Harris, trying to get off their contracts. 

We don't have cap room left, so might all be moot.

But what about taking Ross and #8, giving Grayson and #10? Ross makes $12.5M next year and $11.5M in '22-'23. 

1 minute ago, The J Crew said:

Re the Magic at 8. They are shopping Terrence Ross and Gary Harris, trying to get off their contracts. 

But what about taking Ross and #8, giving Grayson and #10? Ross makes $12.5M next year and $11.5M in '22-'23. 

Grizz were mentioned as a team asking about Ross too. FWIW.

My prediction is Warriors go with Giddey, Magic go with Moody and Kings go with Wagner.  We take Bouknight and trade him to the Thunder for 16 and 18 to get Murphy and Christopher. 

2 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

But without Grayson, who else will announcers pile on with all the terms like:

”gritty”

”deceptively athletic”

”a coaches son”

”hard worker”

”high basketball IQ”

”lunch pail guy”

”has the most heart”

We can’t lose him!

29 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I understand this concept and it makes perfect sense if you draft one of those guys but Giddey imho doesn't fit that bill

Just now, Grizzliesfan777 said:

But without Grayson, who else will announcers pile on with all the terms like:

”gritty”

”deceptively athletic”

”a coaches son”

”hard worker”

”high basketball IQ”

”lunch pail guy”

”has the most heart”

We can’t lose him!

And all of this board wouldn't be able to compare him to JJ Reddick anymore.

You're right, it was a bad idea. 

29 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Think Chess not checkers.   The real move was never to 10 they want higher.   But its easier to get higher with the 10 than it was with the 17.  

I like the trade.  I think Adams fit will be better next to Jaren than JV was.    

If they plan to move up more it makes sense, if they don't and they draft specific players I understand the move. For me I just don't understand drafting Giddey at 10

24 minutes ago, Grizzliesfan777 said:

yikes.  Welp Moody just moved past him for me. I KNOW Moody can legit shoot and defend.   Everything else will be all about work ethic and he has no red flags there. 

5 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

Im starting to get pretty high on moody. I just get the feeling that he will be a solid pro player.

slim.

Image result for getting high gif

16 minutes ago, Dwash said:

My prediction is Warriors go with Giddey, Magic go with Moody and Kings go with Wagner.  We take Bouknight and trade him to the Thunder for 16 and 18 to get Murphy and Christopher. 

i wouldn't be opposed to a move like this but Bouknight aint falling to 10. 

Personally i am still conflicted between Grimes and Christopher.   Grimes was clearly best offensive player on the court in every game he was in.  Christopher is the better shot creator tho.   Basically i am good with either one but neither are good fits with Moody.   If they gamble on Kuminga then Grimes is a better fit. 

5 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

i wouldn't be opposed to a move like this but Bouknight aint falling to 10. 

Personally i am still conflicted between Grimes and Christopher.   Grimes was clearly best offensive player on the court in every game he was in.  Christopher is the better shot creator tho.   Basically i am good with either one but neither are good fits with Moody.   If they gamble on Kuminga then Grimes is a better fit. 

Just a hunch on Bouknight. I still don't see anything special.  Small, not really a playmaker, not a good shooter as a sophomore, good but not great athlete.  I think he could be the smoke screen for a few teams. But so could Giddey. We will see. 

I think its great that the FO took a big swing , could easily be on the hot seat next year , lucky for them we have ours, lal, utah 1st and a future tor and gsw 1st . I dont know if its the the right move to bet on JJJ and Clarke bouncing back / improving but its better than another winslow and most other " buy low " candidate i see . I also think its part of being a small market team .