Sign in to follow this  
Ole Dirty Klondike

Layoffs at ESPN

ESPN cutting 500 jobs as COVID erodes revenues

I hate to see anyone lose their job but I really haven't watched any regular shows on ESPN for awhile. I stopped watching Sportscenter years ago. All of the point-counterpoint yelling and screaming shows don't interest me either. I think they have focused way too much on trying to be entertainment and trying to entertain with ex-jocks who like to scream and be loud. I just lost interest. Then you factor in that ESPN charges one of the highest rates to cable companies to air their programming and you realize they help drive up cable prices moreso than other stations. I really only watch live sports programming (NBA, college sports) and that's it.

COVID may have pushed them over but I know many sports fans who stopped watching on a regular basis years ago (well before any of the political stuff)

ESPN overpaid for major sports broadcasts and are now getting squeezed as systems refuse to pay their costs for them. 

Hate that good people are losing their jobs but ESPN was bleeding money long before 2020 hit.

thats what happen when you mix politics with sports 

this would be a great time for FOX sports to step up, ESPN  had left a sour tastes in my mouth along with million of more sports FANS 

17 hours ago, chipc3 said:

ESPN overpaid for major sports broadcasts and are now getting squeezed as systems refuse to pay their costs for them. 

Hate that good people are losing their jobs but ESPN was bleeding money long before 2020 hit.

Yeah, the cord cutting started hurting them years ago and they haven't been able to make up that revenue.

15 hours ago, lions said:

thats what happen when you mix politics with sports 

They have been bleeding money well before any of that stuff happened due to cord cutting, people leaving cable, and people just losing interest. The political stuff is more recent so it may have had a slight impact but this ball was already in motion due to the huge contracts to carry certain sports and the huge contracts they pay their on air talent. Years of declining revenue plus humongous costs is not a good formula to stay afloat.

7 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Yeah, the cord cutting started hurting them years ago and they haven't been able to make up that revenue.

They have been bleeding money well before any of that stuff happened due to cord cutting, people leaving cable, and people just losing interest. The political stuff is more recent so it may have had a slight impact but this ball was already in motion due to the huge contracts to carry certain sports and the huge contracts they pay their on air talent. Years of declining revenue plus humongous costs is not a good formula to stay afloat.

you may be right about some of that but its a ----- shame that B.s left wing politics  force our beloved WASHINGTON  REDSKINS  to now be called the WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM espn played a part into that