Ole Dirty Klondike

2020-21 Season Start: December 22 and Preseason Starts Dec. 11

Thanks ODK. Well that is a quick turnaround. Thought it would be MLK day.

I don't think that article mentions the Olympics, but Shams is saying the early start would allow the NBA to complete the season and playoffs before the Olympics, which is scheduled to start July 23rd.  

4 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Thanks ODK. Well that is a quick turnaround. Thought it would be MLK day.

I don't think that article mentions the Olympics, but Shams is saying the early start would allow the NBA to complete the season and playoffs before the Olympics, which is scheduled to start July 23rd.  

I wonder how many NBA players will have interest in playing in the Olympics next summer.

Just now, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I wonder how many NBA players will have interest in playing in the Olympics next summer.

Well... i know at least 2...JV and Sabonis

1 minute ago, I❤️JV said:

Well... i know at least 2...JV and Sabonis

Oops, let me rephrase that... I wonder how many NBA players will have interest in playing for the U.S.A. in the Olympics next summer.

Would Sabonis be eligible to play on Team U.S.A. or has he been playing for Lithuania? I see that he was born in Portland.

6 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Their shoe sponsors and other sponsors will want them to. And of course all the foreign players want to play for their country. 

2 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Oops, let me rephrase that... I wonder how many NBA players will have interest in playing for the U.S.A. in the Olympics next summer.

Would Sabonis be eligible to play on Team U.S.A. or has he been playing for Lithuania? I see that he was born in Portland.

Sabonis is Lithuanian and he does not have US citizenship ...He couldn't even apply for it ... if he did he would've lost Lithuanian citizenship (you can't have 2 citizenships in Lithuania)...would be branded a traitor and could never return to Lithuania. 

The bottom line is the NBA doesn't want to start the playoffs again in August during vacation, and the Finals in October against college and NFL football. Some Finals games TV ratings were down as much as 70% year over year. 

1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

If I am the league I am calling Zion and Ja right now.  

Those are two of the future top guys -- probably THE top future guys.  Besides, I think the other top NBA guys are gonna be TOO OLD to compete in 2024.  Seriously... that Steph/Harden/Curry generation is rapidly getting up their in age.  To say nothing of LeBron and CP3 and some of those guys.

I think the core of 2021 Off Year Dream Team is gonna be AD, Jimmy Butler, Zion, Ja, Lillard, Tatum and Donovan Mitchell.  I also wouldn't be shocked if a 2020 rookie makes the team (Wiseman or Haliburton or Anthony Edwards or LaMelo Ball).

59 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

The bottom line is the NBA doesn't want to start the playoffs again in August during vacation, and the Finals in October against college and NFL football. Some Finals games TV ratings were down as much as 70% year over year. 

Good point.  The NBA aka The Niche Basketball Alliance got taken to Nielsen's woodshed during Bubble World.  

They could also do a Bizarro Bubble.  The Not Great 8 who missed out on BubbleVegas could do a tourney starting on Christmas.  Have the other 22 teams play 70 or 72 games but get the Not Great 8 up to 78 or 80.  

Christmas week bubble.  Then a play off tourney the first week of January.  Winner gets a playoff auto-bid AND maybe even the 4th pick.  Playoff auto-bid/4th pick guarantee/cash prize would be an AWESOME Bubble World consolation prize trifecta.

Maybe they can even get all 8 teams to play at Madison Square Garden or something.

All Star Game after the NBA's version of the NIT?  THEN start the "real" season sometime between late January and MLK Day.

Ah... flip it.  "Real season" starts a week after the NBA Not Invited Tournament.  MLK Day is the NEW All Star Game Day.  

1 hour ago, I❤️JV said:

Sabonis is Lithuanian and he does not have US citizenship ...He couldn't even apply for it ... if he did he would've lost Lithuanian citizenship (you can't have 2 citizenships in Lithuania)...would be branded a traitor and could never return to Lithuania. 

Ok, wasn't sure. I see that he was born in Portland while his father was playing for the TrailBlazers. I see different things saying he has dual citizenship but you would know Lithuania's rules much better than I would. Just wasn't sure.

4 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Ok, wasn't sure. I see that he was born in Portland while his father was playing for the TrailBlazers. I see different things saying he has dual citizenship but you would know Lithuania's rules much better than I would. Just wasn't sure.

Sabonis has US nationality because he was born in the US. He also has Lithuanian nationality because he is the son of Lithuanian parents. This happens regardless of how he identifies himself unless he explicitly renounces one nationality. Most countries don't recognize dual citizenship, meaning each country will treat him as his own in terms of legal and tax obligations. A bureaucratic pain in the behind but usually not a big problem as long as there isn't a war between the two countries. I should know, my daughter is a dual citizen.

Now, for basketball purposes, Sabonis can only play with Lithuania since he has already played with their national team in official tournaments. FIBA allows dual citizens to choose what country they play for, but doesn't allow changing national teams once the decision is made. Exception, of course, if a country breaks up / dissolves, e.g. the USSR or Yugoslavia.

WOW  N.B.A back in 2 months alot to do in such little TIME 

13 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Sabonis has US nationality because he was born in the US. He also has Lithuanian nationality because he is the son of Lithuanian parents. This happens regardless of how he identifies himself unless he explicitly renounces one nationality. Most countries don't recognize dual citizenship, meaning each country will treat him as his own in terms of legal and tax obligations. A bureaucratic pain in the behind but usually not a big problem as long as there isn't a war between the two countries. I should know, my daughter is a dual citizen.

Now, for basketball purposes, Sabonis can only play with Lithuania since he has already played with their national team in official tournaments. FIBA allows dual citizens to choose what country they play for, but doesn't allow changing national teams once the decision is made. Exception, of course, if a country breaks up / dissolves, e.g. the USSR or Yugoslavia.

You can play for junior national team as for example Brazdeikis from Knicks did play for Canada U18, but he is asking for Citizenship back (was born in Lithuania, but emigrated to Canada at 2y old), after taking Canada Citizenship he lost his Lithuanian one...he refused to play for Canada  National Team ... if he did he would be ineligible to play for Lithuania ...he's probably not good enough to play in this years Olympics...but maybe one day. 

Bill Simmons predicted this a week or so ago on his pod. Said we need to look at the '20-'21 season as setting up the '21-'22 season to get back on the normal NBA calendar schedule, which is where Silver wants to be.

And you have to start around Christmas this year to get there. Play the 72 game season to fulfill the RSN contracts, finish in July, and start '21-'22 about a year from now. Last season started October 22nd. 

1 hour ago, I❤️JV said:

You can play for junior national team as for example Brazdeikis from Knicks did play for Canada U18, but he is asking for Citizenship back (was born in Lithuania, but emigrated to Canada at 2y old), after taking Canada Citizenship he lost his Lithuanian one...he refused to play for Canada  National Team ... if he did he would be ineligible to play for Lithuania ...he's probably not good enough to play in this years Olympics...but maybe one day. 

Yep, as long as you don't play for the senior national team you can keep your options open. 

12 hours ago, lions said:

WOW  N.B.A back in 2 months alot to do in such little TIME 

They must really want that Christmas day viewership. I was thinking the season wouldn't start till mid-february the earliest but this is great, for the fans atleast.

Personally I would like to see the NBA start after Thanksgiving, like one week after Thanksgiving going forward. You could do pre-season for like a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving and then a break and start the Thursday after the holiday. College FB would mostly be over with only a couple of onesie twosies and the bowl games left. The NFL would be mostly winding down as you would know whether or not your team sucks. It would be the perfect time to start and they'll have a good 3 weeks or so to get into game playing shape so that the XMas day games are not sloppy. I would also reduce the number of games to 68 games, maybe 72 but I'd do 68. The season is way too long.

None of this will happen as these are my logical musings as to what I would like to see as a fan and my views don't align with the motivations of the team owners and the league to make as much money as possible.

14 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Yeah, I don't really follow Sabonis much so I wasn't sure what he had done or if he would be eligible. 

9 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Personally I would like to see the NBA start after Thanksgiving, like one week after Thanksgiving going forward. You could do pre-season for like a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving and then a break and start the Thursday after the holiday. College FB would mostly be over with only a couple of onesie twosies and the bowl games left. The NFL would be mostly winding down as you would know whether or not your team sucks. It would be the perfect time to start and they'll have a good 3 weeks or so to get into game playing shape so that the XMas day games are not sloppy. I would also reduce the number of games to 68 games, maybe 72 but I'd do 68. The season is way too long.

None of this will happen as these are my logical musings as to what I would like to see as a fan and my views don't align with the motivations of the team owners and the league to make as much money as possible.

If they went to a 72 game season, they could easily start on Dec. 1st and keep the same playoff schedule. 

3 hours ago, The J Crew said:

If they went to a 72 game season, they could easily start on Dec. 1st and keep the same playoff schedule. 

Yeah they could but I don't see the owners being okay with losing 10 games of revenue.

As far as the upcoming season, it will be a quick turnaround. The draft is Nov. 18th and they are looking to start before Christmas so a month later. So they will have a month for FA, any off-season league for rookies and the pre-season? I think the off-season league and pre-season won't happen if they start before Christmas this year.

I'm ok with anything that gets the Grizzlies back on the court 

8 hours ago, cdp said:

They must really want that Christmas day viewership. I was thinking the season wouldn't start till mid-february the earliest but this is great, for the fans atleast.

Great to see N.B.A back but there rating must go up or there will be many small market teams in touble