Ole Dirty Klondike

Did We Make the Right Move?

Who Had the Better Career?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who Had the Better Career?

• Michael Conley, Jr.
    • Kyle Lowry
    • It's a Push

I listened in on the radio (well, internet) and heard some people debating this so I wanted to see what does the board think. Did we make the right move by keeping Conley and trading Lowry? Who has had the better career? Would Lowry had become what he has become if he would've been the starting PG in Memphis?

Kyle Lowry Career Stats:

Assists: 6.2

Steals: 1.4

Awards: 6x NBA All-Star; All NBA 3rd team

Championships: 2019

Mike Conley Career Stats:

Assists: 5.6

Steals: 1.4

Awards: 3x All-NBA Sportsman Award; NBA Teammate of the Year, NBA All Defense Second Team

Championships: None

It's a push to me, Conley would have had no less 4 All-star appearances in the historically bad Eastern conference that Lowry played in. The title is obviously nice, but we could have just as easily won the championship if we had Kawhi, Mike, Jaren, and Marc, plus guys like Temple, JaM, Noah, Holiday to go with them (and looking back, we probably should have pursued that a little more). Kyle has undoubtedly had the better career, but I don't believe that Kyle would have made our fortunes any different at all if we kept him. I wish small ball could have worked back then and we could have kept both. 

This is a we will never know. 

Can't deny Conley's love and dedication to the franchise and city though, so numbers and individual accolades aside Conley was good for us. 

I have thought about this topic many times. Didn't Lowry spend some time in Houston before finding his home in Toronto?

I loved Lowry's game then and it has aged well. Conley also developed in unexpected ways and had an excellent career as a Grizzlie. 

Lowry has had the better career IMO, but I think they each have strengths as players that make it difficult to compare them head-to-head. 

It's a push.  But I think Conley would agree that Kyle's career is better with his championship ring.  That's what they all want.

The real mistake was drafting Conley in the first place when we had just drafted Lowrey the year before. They should have taken Noah, then maybe in 2009 instead of taking Thabeet they take Harden or Curry because they already have their starting center on the roster.

But hindsight is always 2020 I guess.

Mike never had a player remotely close in talent to Kawhi or we might have a championship ourselves. I think they're very comparable and can understand arguments either way. 

It's definitely one of the bigger "what ifs" for the Grizz. I remember they played like what, a season and a half together? It would've been interesting to see them play more like Lowry/Vanvleet now...

5 hours ago, pjs said:

It's a push.  But I think Conley would agree that Kyle's career is better with his championship ring.  That's what they all want.

Yes. This is what I meant in my post also. In case that was not clear. A ring is what every one of these guys want. 

3 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

Imho it's pretty even. I do wonder would Kyle's bulldog mentality have fit better with the grit and grind era

That’s what had me thinking...

kyle macbo and ta ...with Marc running point center

i would have paid to see that game

I believe Mike Conley is the correct answer until about 2017 or so.

In 2012, Lowry was traded for a 1st round pick and Gary Forbes.  At that time, I believe there would have been much greater interest in Conley, had he been on the block.

With age, I think the pendulum swings to Kyle...

As far as a career goes, I think Mike is happy with his, but he probably wishes he had Kyle's fortunes.

As far as all star games goes, Kyle would have also had 0 if he were in West. 

From just 2014 on (when Lowry got his first appearance) the West has had the following  backcourt players:

Kobe Bryant

Chris Paul

Steph Curry

James Harden

Russell Westbrook

Damian Lillard

Tony Parker

Klay Thompson

Manu Ginobili

Donovan Mitchell & Luka

Lowry, like Conley, never would have cracked top 6 in that group.

And the same goes for Trae Young, Kemba Walker, or the broken down version of Derrick Rose, all of which were in top 5 at one point in EC voting. Just like DeRozan hasn't sniffed ASG since going to West

6 hours ago, King Dork said:

Not nearly a push. It’s Lowery hands down. He reached higher individual heights than Conley ever did. 

Our best player was always ZBo and Kyle's best player when he won a ring was Kawhi. That's not even close. And it's not as easy to make all star games in the East. Hands down? No.

At the time the fights  in this forum were harsh I never once like Lowery as a person and that's why want him gone to let Conley develop.

To this day I don't regret it.

1 hour ago, srmjr23 said:

Our best player was always ZBo and Kyle's best player when he won a ring was Kawhi. That's not even close. And it's not as easy to make all star games in the East. Hands down? No.

I’m talking about Kyle’s numbers and accomplishments himself. 

Don’t forget he was the lead man on a team that went to the Eastern Conference Finals. And he’s averaged way more points per game in a season than Mike. With comparable numbers everywhere else. 

You might give me the Mike did it in the west argument to which I’d say, tough for Mike, it is what it is now

Lowey had the better carrer so far. But I wouldnt picture the Grizzlies without Mike. 

15 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

That’s what had me thinking...

kyle macbo and ta ...with Marc running point center

i would have paid to see that game

And we had guys like Sam Young too. I think the grit and grind mentality would've been even more killer

15 hours ago, costarica2 said:

At the time the fights  in this forum were harsh I never once like Lowery as a person and that's why want him gone to let Conley develop.

To this day I don't regret it.

What?

On 9/16/2020 at 4:07 PM, King Dork said:

Not nearly a push. It’s Lowery hands down. He reached higher individual heights than Conley ever did. 

Disagree, Conley had many way bigger playoff moments that Lowry like the golden state broken face game and the big 3 pointer. Lowry's legacy was choking every year in the payoffs until Kawhii arrived.

We have to remember that Lowry was also traded by Houston. Sometimes players mature from those experiences, other times they collapse. Clearly Lowry matured but would he have evolved if he hadn’t been traded twice? I don’t think that can be answered.

Too many what is for me. Plus their careers is far from beeing finish. In France we use to say, you pay the musician at the end of the party. Let's see. I still believe Mike can win a ring if Utah make one good move this year.

Mike deserves it at this point.