Sign in to follow this  
Ole Dirty Klondike

2019-20 NBA All Rookie Teams Announced

Barrett had an ok rookie season after a slow start 

1 hour ago, Allen said:

Barrett had an ok rookie season after a slow start 

Funny thing is, when I first saw this, I didn't even think of Barrett. I only thought about him after I saw him trending on Twitter right before I posted this. 

3 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

2nd time Memphis has done this.  

Checked again the other day.  Pau/Battier did it.  

Well, here's hoping that BC is better than Battier throughout his career.

It will be hard for Ja to eclipse Pau's career though. 

Hard for Ja to eclipse Pau's career?

Other than riding another players coattails to a couple championships I don't see anything in Pau's career that looks insurmountable for Ja. He was a 6 time all star and twice all NBA 2nd team and twice all NBA 3rd team. I think that is definitely doable for Ja. Hopefully he will get a couple rings too.

42 minutes ago, KyleB said:

Hard for Ja to eclipse Pau's career?

Other than riding another players coattails to a couple championships I don't see anything in Pau's career that looks insurmountable for Ja. He was a 6 time all star and twice all NBA 2nd team and twice all NBA 3rd team. I think that is definitely doable for Ja. Hopefully he will get a couple rings too.

I had a feeling that I would get a response like this to that comment.

Pau may very well be a HOFer regardless of if you think he rode others coattails or not. He wouldn't be the first to go into the HOF with people accusing him of that. He has 2 NBA Championships, numerous gold medals in international play, FIBA World Championships, a gold in the World Cup and multiple time NBA All Star. Yes, I would be happy if Ja eclipsed Pau's accomplishments but it will be hard. Ja is rookie with potential, that's all we know. 

I mean if Ja averaged 25 ppg and 8 apg for the next 12 years but never got past the 2nd round of the playoffs nor won an international Gold medal, would you think that he had a better career than Pau? Outside of Memphis, Pau is very well respected in the basketball world. 

4 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Pau may very well be a HOFer regardless of if you think he rode others coattails or not. He wouldn't be the first to go into the HOF with people accusing him of that. He has 2 NBA Championships, numerous gold medals in international play, FIBA World Championships, a gold in the World Cup and multiple time NBA All Star. Yes, I would be happy if Ja eclipsed Pau's accomplishments but it will be hard. Ja is rookie with potential, that's all we know. 

I mean if Ja averaged 25 ppg and 8 apg for the next 12 years but never got past the 2nd round of the playoffs nor won an international Gold medal, would you think that he had a better career than Pau? Outside of Memphis, Pau is very well respected in the basketball world. 

Some people from Memphis respect Pau's career (me being one), but his last season in Memphis would make it hard for anyone around Memphis during that period to have good feelings about him. 

5 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Has Chris Paul ever made it out of the second round? Has Chris Paul won as many medals in international play? Do you think Pau has had a better career than Chris Paul?

Chris Paul was known as the best pg in the league for at least a decade, was Pau ever considered the best power forward in the league?

4 minutes ago, SC Grizz said:

Some people from Memphis respect Pau's career (me being one), but his last season in Memphis would make it hard for anyone around Memphis during that period to have good feelings about him. 

I respect his career, but I expect Ja to have a better one. So far Ja has accomplished just as much in his rookie season as Pau did. I don't see why anyone would think it would be hard for Ja's career to eclipse Pau's. I think as long as he stays healthy he will easily have a better career than Pau.

18 minutes ago, SC Grizz said:

Of course some people do but a lot don't.

14 minutes ago, KyleB said:

Has Chris Paul ever made it out of the second round? Has Chris Paul won as many medals in international play? Do you think Pau has had a better career than Chris Paul?

Chris Paul was known as the best pg in the league for at least a decade, was Pau ever considered the best power forward in the league?

Pau has had a very good career and we would be in a very good position if Ja's career matches or exceeds that. 

2 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Pau has had a very good career and we would be in a very good position if Ja's career matches or exceeds that. 

I can agree with this.

Pau is one of, I think, five players in NBA history to exceed each of the 20,000 points, 10,000 rebounds, 3500 assists, and 1500 blocks plateaus in their career.  No one would ever argue that any of those other players (Hall of Fame, of course) were not great.    NBA Champion too.  Riding Kobe's coattails is a joke.  How many championships did Kobe win without Shaq or Pau?  Yeah, zero.  One guy can't do it all.  He deserves a lot more respect than many people want to give.