Sign in to follow this  
Ole Dirty Klondike

Grizz Hire 2 New Assistant Coaches

Recommended Posts

I approved the hiring of Niele Ivey. But curious, did we hire this woman for clout? I don't think she's qualified for the job, but that's just me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GoGrizz! said:

I approved the hiring of Niele Ivey. But curious, did we hire this woman for clout? I don't think she's qualified for the job, but that's just me.

This is such a troll

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GoGrizz! said:

I approved the hiring of Niele Ivey. But curious, did we hire this woman for clout? I don't think she's qualified for the job, but that's just me.

She's coming from M.I.T. 
Let that marinate a minute...

A coach from MIT and somebody doesn’t think she’s qualified
 

wow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

She's coming from M.I.T. 
Let that marinate a minute...

A coach from MIT and somebody doesn’t think she’s qualified
 

wow

She's also coached for the last 12 years.... but unqualified . This is why I assume it's just at troll. Could be they're just out of touch or dumb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

She's also coached for the last 12 years.... but unqualified . This is why I assume it's just at troll. Could be they're just out of touch or dumb.

No offense, but she's a D3 coach for MIT, not a professor. I bet they don't check their IQ to be a coach there. That's just a bad argument. 

Now, I think she's plenty qualified, but it feels like a little bit of a stretch to go from D3 to the NBA. To be fair, for her to have caught anyone's eye at that level, they are seemingly doing something right. Hope she does well, because that means we're doing well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GoGrizz! said:

I approved the hiring of Niele Ivey. But curious, did we hire this woman for clout? I don't think she's qualified for the job, but that's just me.

And why do you think she's not qualified?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

No offense, but she's a D3 coach for MIT, not a professor. I bet they don't check their IQ to be a coach there. That's just a bad argument. 

Now, I think she's plenty qualified, but it feels like a little bit of a stretch to go from D3 to the NBA. To be fair, for her to have caught anyone's eye at that level, they are seemingly doing something right. Hope she does well, because that means we're doing well. 

The argument that shes been a winning coach for 12 years and has worked along side a very reputable analytics department is not a good argument? What exactly should your accomplishments be to be qualified for a position as an assistant coach? I realize you said she is plenty qualified, so I guess I just don't understand your point.

edit:

"Prior to MIT, Raman was the top assistant coach and primary recruiter at Wellesley College for six years. She previously served as an assistant coach at her alma mater Tufts, where she graduated in 1996 with a degree in international relations. Raman also has a degree from Boston College Law School."

"MIT participates in the NCAA’s Division III, the tier of mostly smaller colleges and universities that prohibit athletic scholarships and are seldom viewed as pathways to the professional ranks. The Cambridge school’s most prominent claim to sports fame has typically been the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, the so-called Super Bowl of analytics made popular by Moneyball."

 

So where is the flaw in my argument? Someone, please... why isn't this woman qualified?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

The argument that shes been a winning coach for 12 years and has worked along side a very reputable analytics department is not a good argument? What exactly should your accomplishments be to be qualified for a position as an assistant coach? I realize you said she is plenty qualified, so I guess I just don't understand your point.

edit:

"Prior to MIT, Raman was the top assistant coach and primary recruiter at Wellesley College for six years. She previously served as an assistant coach at her alma mater Tufts, where she graduated in 1996 with a degree in international relations. Raman also has a degree from Boston College Law School."

"MIT participates in the NCAA’s Division III, the tier of mostly smaller colleges and universities that prohibit athletic scholarships and are seldom viewed as pathways to the professional ranks. The Cambridge school’s most prominent claim to sports fame has typically been the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, the so-called Super Bowl of analytics made popular by Moneyball."

 

So where is the flaw in my argument? Someone, please... why isn't this woman qualified?

You and Toke (and several others on reddit) seem to be implying that because she was the coach at MIT, she's seemingly over qualified. My point is, they just hired her to coach basketball, not teach college classes at MIT. Not the same thing. She's not somehow significantly more intelligent just because she coached smart kids. The point remains though, she's been a coach at a college for over a decade, so it's not like they hired her off the street. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

You and Toke (and several others on reddit) seem to be implying that because she was the coach at MIT, she's seemingly over qualified. My point is, they just hired her to coach basketball, not teach college classes at MIT. Not the same thing. She's not somehow significantly more intelligent just because she coached smart kids. The point remains though, she's been a coach at a college for over a decade, so it's not like they hired her off the street. 

 

You don't have to justify your gut response to these guys. 

There are numerous options available way further in the grind and higher up in the totem pole. Sure she might be a diamond in the rough type hiring with unique basketball perspective nobody's seen, but until she proves herself, she's a question mark. 

You don't have to defend yourself questioning an unproven hire at the highest level of professional sports. 

It's not classy to say it, but this is a gender related hire. She proves herself and it's genius, but until then it's a questionable hire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Teddy.B said:

 

You don't have to justify your gut response to these guys. 

There are numerous options available way further in the grind and higher up in the totem pole. Sure she might be a diamond in the rough type hiring with unique basketball perspective nobody's seen, but until she proves herself, she's a question mark. 

You don't have to defend yourself questioning an unproven hire at the highest level of professional sports. 

It's not classy to say it, but this is a gender related hire. She proves herself and it's genius, but until then it's a questionable hire. 

I don't really care about that, I think gender at least partially played a role, only because they were replacing another female. Good coaches can come from anywhere. Kerr was a TV analyst, Nurse was an assistant, Stevens came from college, Spo was a film guy. They can come from anywhere. My only point was she's certainly not more qualified than others by being a coach at MIT, who probably a significant amount of people just found out even had a basketball team, myself included. They're acting like she got accepted as a student to MIT or is a professor, but she's just the coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if she has had much direct experience with analytics, or with incorporating analytics into coaching. If so, I imagine it was a selling point to this FO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the articles about her hiring mentioned that more and more assistant coaches have some law training. Contract law, I'll bet. 

Someone has to be the bridge between the contract-law geeks in the FO and the sweaty guys on the floor. 

"Taylor, I know he sucks but we HAVE to have a guy on an expiring, and a guy with a couple of years of team control, and some guys with options, and a guy we can package in a trade later, and also this guy has a trade kicker we can't afford ..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, TimBC said:

One of the articles about her hiring mentioned that more and more assistant coaches have some law training. Contract law, I'll bet. 

Someone has to be the bridge between the contract-law geeks in the FO and the sweaty guys on the floor. 

"Taylor, I know he sucks but we HAVE to have a guy on an expiring, and a guy with a couple of years of team control, and some guys with options, and a guy we can package in a trade later, and also this guy has a trade kicker we can't afford ..."

Or maybe she has been a coach for 12 years and understands offense, defense, and player management

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

What division is MIT in? LONG division?

Maybe we are gonna run the Triangle and we need someone to figure out the geometry.

 

Ok, that's it. You're banned from posting until 2021. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, costarica2 said:

Hey it work well for ua last time why not do it again.

When did we hire a D3 college coach and it worked out?

 

Comparing her resume to Ivey is a joke. Ivey was a rising star on one of the best coaching staffs in D1 Women’s Basketball. I’d be 100% on board, even encourage them to make that kind of Female hire again. From D3 coach at a place where you’re coaching people who don’t even want to play basketball professionally, to NBA coaching staff is questionable. 
 

Hope she does great, but it looks like she was hired to check a box. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unqualified or not this wouldn't even be a story if this was a man. Because we all know this is an insignificant spot. Basically like an intern, it's no big deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dwash said:

Unqualified or not this wouldn't even be a story if this was a man. Because we all know this is an insignificant spot. Basically like an intern, it's no big deal. 

That's precisely why it's a story. If she was a man she wouldn't have been hired or totally dissected apart. 

But now we can't question the hire precisely because it's gender sensitive. 

Is she getting NBA assistant coach money? If yes she ain't no intern. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Teddy.B said:

That's precisely why it's a story. If she was a man she wouldn't have been hired or totally dissected apart. 

But now we can't question the hire precisely because it's gender sensitive. 

Is she getting NBA assistant coach money? If yes she ain't no intern. 

Yeah but it's not my money.  I'm sure we have hired plenty of assistants that didn't really impact the team much. That's why I am saying it's like an intern.

Honest take.  I wouldn't want a woman as head coach of my pro team. Not to be sexist, but players have more power and make more money than coaches. NBA head coaching is about gaining respect and not just what you know.  Gaining full respect would be difficult for a woman, imo.  These players gonna break you down and want to know why should I listen to you. 

However, if her job as an assistant is just breaking down film, reviewing analytics, drawing up plays, maybe even tips on fundamentals I can't see why she wouldn't be able to achieve that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this