Crizzle

Are you willing to go "all in" next year in the 2021 draft?

Next years draft looks to have some nice wing prospects. With the pick going to boston this year, we now have freedom to trade any future 1sts we want. We also have the Utah and GSW future firsts. Are you willing to cash in all our draft assets to move up next year?

17 minutes ago, Crizzle said:

Next years draft looks to have some nice wing prospects. With the pick going to boston this year, we now have freedom to trade any future 1sts we want. We also have the Utah and GSW future firsts. Are you willing to cash in all our draft assets to move up next year?

I'd be willing to, I'm just nervous that we end up in a similar situation as Jeff Green Boston trade. I guess if a can't miss players was there I'm in

8 minutes ago, UkGrizz said:

If we don't make the playoffs it would be a nice year for the lottery gods to give the first ever first pick to the grizzlies.

That would be fun.  Other than getting a chance to pick Ja last season I liked all the buzz, hype and intrigue that came with having the second pick.  Getting a top pick would be super fun — good draft for it to with a few great prospects at the top, but, maybe not a Luka or a Ja. Maybe not even a Zion type (flashy and super talented but potentially tragically flawed).  Possibly no Wiseman or Avdija or Vassell archetype either.  ... in my above post I listed my top 3 favorite (sleeper?) picks in the 2021 draft.  And, the more I think about it, the more perfect the fits might be next to our Ja/Jaren core.  Assuming that Clarke/Dillon/Winslow are also a part of the rotation/deep core in some way.

There's a decent to pretty good chance we're not making the playoffs next year, we're going to have a lottery pick anyway. Depending where it is, and how much it costs to move up, it could make sense to move up she grab someone we really want. Even still we're going to have a lottery pick and significant cap space avaliable. We should be really good by '21-'22. 

With this season and draft being pushed back so far I have only done about 15 or so 2021 mock lotteries.  That puts me about 25 or 30 behind my usual pace at this time of the year.

Maybe that will be the end after all; If we dont make a move this offseason I dont see us making the Playoffs. But to move up in a draft like 2021 we will have to probably overpay a lot; and maybe we will not be able to move all the way to Cade Cunningham or Jalen Green. Just now I got the If we end with Jalen we would have possible a starting five with 5 Js.

Ja/Jalen/Justice/Jaren/JV

6 hours ago, Crizzle said:

I expect us to be in the lottery next year anyway and probably with a fairly high pick (top 6 or 7). Not sure what it would take to move up but a 7th or 8th pick may be good enough for what we need. You generally don't get stars at that position but this draft is supposedly deep and at worst, we could get a solid starter who could probably score but be deficient in other areas. 

Heck yes. I hope we finish atleast 8.  Put 2 or 3 futures on the table to move up if needed. 

I feel like BOTH draft classes (2020 and 2021) have LESS hype than they did LAST year.  Wiseman, Edwards, Ball, Mobley and Jalen Green all seem to have LESS buzz than they did several months ago or even a year or two ago.  Are people just tuning out?  

6 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Sure.  Moussa Cisse, Antwann Jones, and Corey Kispert.  

2 hours ago, Ja_Rules said:

Maybe that will be the end after all; If we dont make a move this offseason I dont see us making the Playoffs. But to move up in a draft like 2021 we will have to probably overpay a lot; and maybe we will not be able to move all the way to Cade Cunningham or Jalen Green. Just now I got the If we end with Jalen we would have possible a starting five with 5 Js.

Ja/Jalen/Justice/Jaren/JV

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/jalen-green/  Do you guys actually look at scouting reports on these overhyped high schoolers?? This kid is actually 6'4" with a 6'7" wingspan who relies on his first step...  What makes you automatically assume he'll be an impact player on an entirely different level??

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/scottie-barnes/  I would take Scottie Barnes over any wing outside of Cade in 20-21. 

7'2" wingspan, big hands, passes the ball with point forward potential, can shoot and score, athletic and defends... 

Cant wait till Jalen Green gets his lunch took in the G-league just to wake people up... 

Those are grown men and they gonna cook that boy like a pot roast... 

Just ordered popcorn to watch the show...  👀😂

8 minutes ago, Grizzhype said:

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/jalen-green/  Do you guys actually look at scouting reports on these overhyped high schoolers?? This kid is actually 6'4" with a 6'7" wingspan who relies on his first step...  What makes you automatically assume he'll be an impact player on an entirely different level??

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/scottie-barnes/  I would take Scottie Barnes over any wing outside of Cade in 20-21. 

7'2" wingspan, big hands, passes the ball with point forward potential, can shoot and score, athletic and defends... 

Cant wait till Jalen Green gets his lunch took in the G-league just to wake people up... 

You sound like a real jackass rooting for the kid to fail. Not a good look

39 minutes ago, Allen said:

You sound like a real jackass rooting for the kid to fail. Not a good look

Not rooting for him to fail, he'll fall flat on his face jumping 2 levels up being undersized with no real skill set like R J Hampton...  I guess he is supposed "Giannis" (out-match) everybody in the Gleague...  

The Grizz dont need unskilled tweeners with no size for their positions...  Got too many already trying to start who should be bench players...

1 hour ago, Grizzhype said:

Scottie Lewis wouldn’t really be a “sleeper” but I haven’t seen him mocked in the top 5 either.  He could end up being a playmaking Tony Allen who can score — probably worth a top 5 pick in ANY draft.  Oh, what are his measurements?  

I am thinking that we like some of the “sleeper picks” in the 2021 draft so we like the idea of being more active in that draft.  

P.S. oops sorry.  Thought you were talking about Scottie Lewis.  Oh well.  Yeah Scottie Barnes is also supposed to be good.  I need to watch more of his stuff.  For athletic wings/2 guards I might like Terrence Clarke more than Jalen Green.

18 hours ago, Crizzle said:

What makes you believe the Grizzlies need to move up in next year's draft? I don't know if the Grizzlies won't be in the lottery next season without giving up draft picks to get there personally. I also don't know if Utah's pick won't be high as well. 

31 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

What makes you believe the Grizzlies need to move up in next year's draft? I don't know if the Grizzlies won't be in the lottery next season without giving up draft picks to get there personally. I also don't know if Utah's pick won't be high as well. 

It would be funny if the Jazz missed the 2021 playoffs and then won the lottery only to be forced to convey the pick to us.

Just now, fanboyslim said:

It would be funny if the Jazz missed the 2021 playoffs and then won the lottery only to be forced to convey the pick to us.

The pick is protected from such an outcome. The pick only comes to Memphis if it falls between 8-14. 

5 hours ago, chipc3 said:

The pick is protected from such an outcome. The pick only comes to Memphis if it falls between 8-14. 

You’re right, I misread “8-14 protected”

3 hours ago, Crizzle said:

Ok lets talk scenarios.  Say the grizz get pick 10 next year. What would you be willing to move into the top 3?

Who knows? Way too much to assume to answer the question.

Is next year's draft like this year's draft, with no clear #1 and a weak top tier? If so, no, you are happy to stay at #10.

Is it last year's draft, with a clear top 3 of Zion, Ja and RJ, then a big undefined tier after that? If so, those teams probably won't trade anyway. Would the Pels have traded the Zion pick, or us the Ja pick last year? No way. So question is probably moot.

Teams rarely move more than a few spaces at the top of the draft. 76ers jumped two spots to take Fultz, and gave up a 1st for it. Mavs jumped 2 spots to take Luka, and gave the 1st that turned out to be #10 the next year for it. 

8 hours ago, The J Crew said:

Who knows? Way too much to assume to answer the question.

Is next year's draft like this year's draft, with no clear #1 and a weak top tier? If so, no, you are happy to stay at #10.

Is it last year's draft, with a clear top 3 of Zion, Ja and RJ, then a big undefined tier after that? If so, those teams probably won't trade anyway. Would the Pels have traded the Zion pick, or us the Ja pick last year? No way. So question is probably moot.

Teams rarely move more than a few spaces at the top of the draft. 76ers jumped two spots to take Fultz, and gave up a 1st for it. Mavs jumped 2 spots to take Luka, and gave the 1st that turned out to be #10 the next year for it. 

Thing is we have multiple firsts that we could add as well as swapping picks. I think we have enough to get up there if we are willing to spend it

On 9/7/2020 at 9:00 PM, ALT GRIND said:

I feel like BOTH draft classes (2020 and 2021) have LESS hype than they did LAST year.  Wiseman, Edwards, Ball, Mobley and Jalen Green all seem to have LESS buzz than they did several months ago or even a year or two ago.  Are people just tuning out?  

Because of the pandemic