Grizzhype

Grizzlies Biggest Offseason Decisions/Playoff Reactions & How to Spot a Draft Bust....

No Bankable Skill

Versatility is a key selling point in today's NBA, but teams have to be careful about chasing it and reaching for players who check boxes without checking any in bold.

While players who can do a little of everything are attractive, those who don't have a specialty strength (3nD/creator) to lean on are vulnerable. Today's league is a skilled league; athleticism isn't enough.

Recent first-round disappointments (relative to where they were picked) who originally stood out for their physical tools and potential versatility include Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Anthony Bennett, Dante Exum, Mario Hezonja, Trey Lyles, Stanley Johnson, Dragan Bender, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Josh Jackson and DJ Wilson.

They didn't have one bankable skill.

The "master of none"(ahem...Kyle and DeAnthony) prospects in the 2020 draft to worry about include potential lottery picks Deni Avdija, Isaac Okoro, Precious Achiuwa, Patrick Williams and RJ Hampton.  https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2907034-how-to-spot-an-nba-draft-bust

Watching the playoffs and seeing the Bucks go down 0-3 should be an eye opener... Clippers are the team to watch and model...  A team can never have enough 3nD players and wings/guards that create offense...  The Grizz should load up with big 3 and D wings by acquiring a first round pick and draft Josh Green or Elijah Hughes and get Jordan Nwora with the 40th pick...

Then go hard after Kelly Oubre since Phoenix is shopping him....

Potential Lineup

Starters:  Ja, Justice, Kelly, Jaren, Jonas   Bench:  Tyus, Grayson, Dillon, Brandon, Gorgui  Deep Bench:  Josh Green, Jordan Nwora, Jontay, Konchar, Kyle

Pretty much every team out there is looking for 3 and d swingmen and swingmen who can score over 20 ppg. We are in the same boat with most of the league which is why I question trying to make any rushed/ill -fitting/short sighted moves this year. Also, I see no reason to try and move into this draft. It's just a bunch of guys.The rumor is PHX is dangling the #10 AND Oubre. 

As far as Oubre, I don't get this board's obsession with this guy. He's a decent enough player but would only be a slight upgrade over Dillon. He's not going to help us win way more games just by getting him. He's another overrated Kansas Jayhawk imo. He basically underachieved in WAS. They tried to trade him to us but we wanted to hold on to Dillon in that botched Brooks Brothers trade so they traded him to PHX. He puts up nice stats but the team has been better without him so now they are entertaining trading him. 

I just don't see any reason to give up assets to have him AND the #10 pick on this team. It would seem like a lateral move at best and just trading just to trade where team chemistry could be hurt at worst. 

2 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Pretty much every team out there is looking for 3 and d swingmen and swingmen who can score over 20 ppg. We are in the same boat with most of the league which is why I question trying to make any rushed/ill -fitting/short sighted moves this year. Also, I see no reason to try and move into this draft. It's just a bunch of guys.The rumor is PHX is dangling the #10 AND Oubre. 

As far as Oubre, I don't get this board's obsession with this guy. He's a decent enough player but would only be a slight upgrade over Dillon. He's not going to help us win way more games just by getting him. He's another overrated Kansas Jayhawk imo. He basically underachieved in WAS. They tried to trade him to us but we wanted to hold on to Dillon in that botched Brooks Brothers trade so they traded him to PHX. He puts up nice stats but the team has been better without him so now they are entertaining trading him. 

I just don't see any reason to give up assets to have him AND the #10 pick on this team. It would seem like a lateral move at best and just trading just to trade where team chemistry could be hurt at worst. 

Imho he'd be an upgrade at the sf.  Winslow, who doesn't play, and Kyle are equal to him? Every move doesn't have to be a homerun, just making the team better each time. I agree we shouldn't give up major assets considering it's more than one way to acquire him but Kelly and the 10 could be 3 and d guys we would just need that additional star 

35 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

Imho he'd be an upgrade at the sf.  Winslow, who doesn't play, and Kyle are equal to him? Every move doesn't have to be a homerun, just making the team better each time. I agree we shouldn't give up major assets considering it's more than one way to acquire him but Kelly and the 10 could be 3 and d guys we would just need that additional star 

Before I reply, let me ask you two questions:

1. What do you think we would have to give up to get an 18 ppg scorer AND a lottery pick. Do you really think they will just take Kyle (also consider that Kyle has a 15% trade kicker as well)
  2. If we were in this position, whether it's Dillon or Winslow and they were avg 18 ppg, what would it take for you to give up one of those player AND a lottery pick? What would you want in return?

3 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

The reason Phoenix is trying to move Oubre is because they want to use his salary slot on Vanfleet after they wasted salary on Rubio...

Oubre would fit in extremely well offensively and defensively with the Grizzlies...  Ja-6"7", Justice-6'10", Kelly-7'3", Jaren-7'4", Jonas-7'5" wingspans would be a nightmare for teams defensively...

The Grizz would have 5 players on the floor who can score 1 on 1 and you cant double Ja or Jaren....   Justice and Kelly would punish smallish backcourts on switches in the post and dunk constantly on lobs and backcuts....

I think Josh Green is underrated...  All scouting reports say he's a good prospect now with a chance to be great.....   I think a couple years improving his 1 on 1 ball handling creation and shooting off the dribble and this kid is a top tier wing....  He's already an excellent shooter and defender.. 

Kelly Oubre and Josh Green are both highly underrated so they'd fit perfect in Grind City... https://www.nbadraft.net/players/josh-green/

27 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

1. What do you think we would have to give up to get an 18 ppg scorer AND a lottery pick. Do you really think they will just take Kyle (also consider that Kyle has a 15% trade kicker as well)
  2. If we were in this position, whether it's Dillon or Winslow and they were avg 18 ppg, what would it take for you to give up one of those player AND a lottery pick? What would you want in return?

I think the Grizz can get Atlanta to help with this trade cuz they are way under the cap...   Sign and trade Atl DeAnthony and Kyle, Memphis gets Kelly and a later pick, Phoenix sends out Kelly but takes back no salary and gets "cash considerations"....  😊😂

1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I stated a while ago that the best option and the more sensible move would be free agency. He's likely the level of player were going to sign in the beloved 2021 free agency. I'd consider a swap with Utah pick and an expiring like Dieng or give them Winslow.  I'm not saying give up anything major,  would rather stand pat than give up assets just to give it up

Neither Kyle or De'Anthony were draft busts based on where they were drafted though.  Seems like you just inserted them to fit a narrative you'd already decided on.

4 hours ago, Grizzhype said:

I think the Grizz can get Atlanta to help with this trade cuz they are way under the cap...   Sign and trade Atl DeAnthony and Kyle, Memphis gets Kelly and a later pick, Phoenix sends out Kelly but takes back no salary and gets "cash considerations"....  😊😂

I don't think you can combine a sign and trade with a another player. 

1 hour ago, grizzknob said:

Neither Kyle or De'Anthony were draft busts based on where they were drafted though.  Seems like you just inserted them to fit a narrative you'd already decided on.

those who don't have a specialty strength (3nD/creator) to lean on are vulnerable. Today's league is a skilled league; athleticism isn't enough.

The "master of none"(ahem...Kyle and DeAnthony) 

My points were bolded as you can clearly see...   Their lack of consistent shooting make them weak links as rotation players...

Jaren is basically a 3 and d wing

Pricing De'Anthony Melton

Josh Jackson, the fourth overall pick in 2017, might spark the most interesting debates on Beale Street, but De'Anthony Melton's price tag is the more important riddle to solve.

He doesn't have a razor-sharp offensive arsenal, and analytics still award the vaunted "A++" evaluation.😡 Statistically speaking, no one meant more to Memphis this season. Melton's net differential paced all the Grizzlies' rotation players (plus-5.1 net rating without him, minus-4.0 without), and it wasn't even close.

A ferocious defender, Melton was one of only eight players to average six rebounds and two steals per 36 minutes, and he had the Association's third-highest deflection rate per 36 minutes (minimum 1,000 minutes). And he still averaged better than two assists for every turnover (2.9 to 1.4).

His defensive dirty work seems a natural fit with Ja Morant's glitzy offense, though it would help if Melton uncovered a reliable outside shot. Either way, he should be collecting not-insigificant coin on the open market, and Memphis must be ready to match (or get comfortable with the idea of walking away from) a sizable offer sheet.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2906672-the-toughest-decision-every-nba-team-must-make-this-offseason

Should the Grizz match the full Mle or not??  

2 hours ago, Allen said:

Jaren is basically a 3 and d wing

Nah Triple J is a Unicorn mane...🦄

20 hours ago, Grizzhype said:

The reason Phoenix is trying to move Oubre is because they want to use his salary slot on Vanfleet after they wasted salary on Rubio...

Oubre would fit in extremely well offensively and defensively with the Grizzlies...  Ja-6"7", Justice-6'10", Kelly-7'3", Jaren-7'4", Jonas-7'5" wingspans would be a nightmare for teams defensively...

Wasted salary on Rubio? Where are you getting this from? I'm not a big Rubio fan, but I guarantee the Suns and their fans are quite happy with Rubio.

Rubio finished 4th is assists pg in the entire league. Averaged 13, 5 and 9, and somehow shot 36% from 3. And he's a good defender. Most importantly for the Suns, they needed a vet leader. No surprise Devin Booker had his best year as a pro. Also Ayton was much improved. At $17M per for 3 years, that's a successful FA signing. 

And we shouldn't pay attention to agents putting out stories while the Raptors are still playing about teams supposedly interested in Van Vleet. Van Vleet is likely to stay in Toronto. 

1 hour ago, The J Crew said:

Wasted salary on Rubio? Where are you getting this from? I'm not a big Rubio fan, but I guarantee the Suns and their fans are quite happy with Rubio.

Rubio finished 4th is assists pg in the entire league. Averaged 13, 5 and 9, and somehow shot 36% from 3. And he's a good defender. Most importantly for the Suns, they needed a vet leader. No surprise Devin Booker had his best year as a pro. Also Ayton was much improved. At $17M per for 3 years, that's a successful FA signing. 

And we shouldn't pay attention to agents putting out stories while the Raptors are still playing about teams supposedly interested in Van Vleet. Van Vleet is likely to stay in Toronto. 

And 42.8% in the bubble. I’ve said it for years, Rubio with a half decent 3 point shot is a whole different beast.

21 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

I stated a while ago that the best option and the more sensible move would be free agency. He's likely the level of player were going to sign in the beloved 2021 free agency. I'd consider a swap with Utah pick and an expiring like Dieng or give them Winslow.  I'm not saying give up anything major,  would rather stand pat than give up assets just to give it up

And that's my point. Do you really think they would take that? Why would they want Dieng's contract? Oubre's contract is expiring as well. Of course I would take him if we could keep the team basically the same meaning keeping Dillon, Justise, Allen (and maybe retaining Melton) but if we give up any players currently in our swingman rotation, I think it would be a lateral move,e specially if we have to give up Dillon or WInslow. 

I'm not sure if we have any assets that would benefit PHX without hurting us, making it a lateral move at best. 

22 hours ago, Grizzhype said:

The Grizz would have 5 players on the floor who can score 1 on 1 and you cant double Ja or Jaren....   Justice and Kelly would punish smallish backcourts on switches in the post and dunk constantly on lobs and backcuts....

I think Josh Green is underrated...  All scouting reports say he's a good prospect now with a chance to be great.....   I think a couple years improving his 1 on 1 ball handling creation and shooting off the dribble and this kid is a top tier wing....  He's already an excellent shooter and defender.. 

Kelly Oubre and Josh Green are both highly underrated so they'd fit perfect in Grind City... https://www.nbadraft.net/players/josh-green/

I'm just going to post this and hope people read this before wanting to go all in on Oubre, which once again, I don't understand the fascination on this board with this guy just because he put up points on a horrible team. he doesn't play within the system or make your team better and that's alongside a 27 ppg scorer and a guy avg 18 and 11 rpg. Why are they putting him on the block 1.5 years after acquiring him? :

Does Oubre actually make the Suns that much better?

Now we’re back to Oubre. With a $14.38 million salary and a roster that just went 8-0 in the Bubble without him, Oubre is back where he was in February: potentially feeling somewhat disposable. While the Suns’ small-ball lineup with Oubre and Mikal Bridges in the frontcourt along the Suns’ three best players was a plus-20.2 per 100 possessions in nearly 300 minutes this season, the same lineup with Cameron Johnson in Oubre’s place was a plus-16.5, as well as a plus-15.2 against stronger competition in the Bubble.

That’s not just noise. We know Johnson is a better shooter, especially off the catch. Oubre made just 34.4 percent of his catch-and-shoot triples this season, still performing better when he can step into those shots off the bounce out of the rhythm of the offense. Johnson, on the other hand, followed up a stellar college shooting performance by knocking down nearly 40 percent of his threes off the catch as a rookie.

This isn’t so much about Oubre’s shooting specifically either. He’s improved in that area, and we always knew Johnson would outpace him there. The true question about Oubre is about what those numbers show us about his overall decision-making.

Oubre is most comfortable freelancing, and with Johnson, Kaminsky and Deandre Ayton out for large portions of the season, Oubre was needed as a shot-creator. Those possessions went better than expected for the Suns, but it’s still not Oubre’s optimal role. Comparing both forwards again, Oubre again failed to make an impact as a play-maker, with nearly as many turnovers as assists, whereas already as a rookie, Johnson doubled his turnover total by making smart plays for teammates.

Oubre’s athleticism makes him more of a consistent rebounder and rim protector, which is why the Suns need to decide how to prioritize. The floor-spacing and decision-making Johnson provided made the Suns more consistent and definable team in the Bubble, but Oubre gives them perhaps a higher ceiling, makes them more athletic, and more unpredictable.

And all season, Williams has brushed off questions about Oubre’s decision-making and tendency to play outside the system, seemingly because the team had no other choice. What Johnson proved is that they do have a choice. A choice who slid into their Booker/passing/defense system perfectly and played huge minutes during an undefeated streak. A choice who they just invested a lottery pick in and who is much cheaper.

ODK, I don't understand the fascination either. It's like the couple of posters continually posting about James Wiseman, when there is a zero % chance of it happening, and Wiseman being a terrible fit with our roster.

Yes, Oubre will probably be shopped, because Phoenix went 8-0 in the bubble, and Cam Johnson and Mikal Bridges will be the starters at PF and SF going forward. Cam is on his rookie deal for 3 more years. while Oubre has 1 year left, so of course Phoenix will see what's out there. But more likely they wait until the trade deadline, imo. Not like the Suns have cap issues, they only have $83M guaranteed going into '20'-'21.

As for the Grizz interest, Kleiman and Co aren't going to give up on Justise before he has played a minute for the Grizz. They invested too much (way, way too much, imo) to get Justise to not give it a chance to work.

1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

And that's my point. Do you really think they would take that? Why would they want Dieng's contract? Oubre's contract is expiring as well. Of course I would take him if we could keep the team basically the same meaning keeping Dillon, Justise, Allen (and maybe retaining Melton) but if we give up any players currently in our swingman rotation, I think it would be a lateral move,e specially if we have to give up Dillon or WInslow. 

I'm not sure if we have any assets that would benefit PHX without hurting us, making it a lateral move at best. 

Winslow might be a lateral move on paper, but in reality he's in really been less productive than chacun up to this point. Me personally I never suggested trade with Phoenix, I've always stated that we go after him in free so we wouldn't have to give up anything. We'll have the money and he's the level of player we're likely to get in free agency 

I think when it comes down to Oubre, he's just another guy that plays outside of the system on offense and doesn't really pass. He's a marginal upgrade over Dillon, but Dillon is probably more versatile on defense, since Oubre really only guards SFs. I just don't think you can have both on the roster. You could trade them for one another I suppose as we can use a more effective creator on offense. It saves them a little in cap space for this year, and gives them a true 6th man. 

Like kellz said though, we can just wait and sign him after this year if we want him. If we want to get rid of Dillon though, I guess you can pull the trigger on a Oubre for Dillon swap. 

This is one of the reasons I'm high on him and I think he could thrive in our freelance system offensively. I also think he's a realistic player to target during free agency. If the idea is to trade for a player to instantly move the needle, it just ain't happening. 

I have playoff reactions as well and how they relate to Grizzlies issues. (No order of importance) 

1. Coaching is a huge factor into why teams lose in the playoffs. People on this board always poopoo this point for whatever reason and it's nonsense. Coaches refusing to make adjustments (Snyder not switching the defense on Murray until game 7, Malone not tightening his rotation until later in the series, Budenholzer not adjusting his defensive scheme vs Miami). It's absolute nonsense how many coaches refuse to adjust and stick with "what got them there" instead. In the NFL, you would never see a good coach say "this team sucks at pass defense/is elite at rush defense but we're a running team so we're gonna keep running it."
    • It will be interesting to see how Jenkins develops as a coach and if the things he does poorly improve over time or are detrimental flaws he has. For example, not challenging the foul call against Grayson Allen in the Blazers play in game was a killer. The great coaches need to be able to make in game adjustments and control the tempo of the game through subs, challenges, TO's, etc. and those are things that Jenkins did not do well in his first season. To his credit, he played Morant 43 minutes in the play in game. It will be interesting to see if Jenkins becomes more of a Nick Nurse/Spoelstra or a Quinn Snyder/Billy Donovan/Mike Budenholzer type.
  2. Your best players need a mid range game against these elite defensive teams. You can even see it with players as good as Giannis and Harden, teams are gonna run you off the 3 point line and clog the paint when it's winning time. This is why Kawhi is such a killer in the postseason, can see it with Anthony Davis as well where he's unstoppable if the mid range is going. 
    • It will be just as important for Morant to perfect his floater, pull up middy as his 3 point shot. Same thing with Jaren Jackson, what he does now ain't gonna work it all. Work on a turnaround jumper out of the post, please. 
  3. Depth is for the regular season, overrated in the postseason. Like mentioned previously, good coaches are tightening the rotation in the postseason and playing their top guys 40ish minutes when necessary. Some role players also obviously get shook in the postseason (Eric Bledsoe) and they're not playing against bench players as much like in the regular season.
    • This is why you guys still talking about adding 3+D players or trying to draft some sleepers late in the draft is weird to me. The guys we have currently are good enough if they're playing the appropriate role tbh. What we're missing now is that #2 guy like a Bradley Beal or the #3 if Jaren becomes better.  Perennial all-star talent is the hole we're missing right now whether it's through an acquisition or a Clarke becoming a Siakam type. I don't think guys like Oubre or Heild are the answer for this. 
  4. If your best player is able to play small ball 5 effectively, they have to. Obviously it depends on matchups but it gives you more flexibility both offensively and defensively. It sounds like Anthony Davis finally realized this after 8 years in the NBA. Budenholzer not doing this with Giannis in the Heat series is idiotic. 
    • Jaren has to be comfortable and good playing the 5 which means he has to exponentially improve his terrible rebounding. 
  5. Smaller pg's usually get clamped in the playoffs because opposing teams end up putting their best defensive wing on them. Chris Paul fell apart at the end of game 7 when Houston put their biggest guy on him. Clippers will put George/Kawhi on Murray when the situation demands it. Brown/Tatum have made things supremely difficult on Lowry/VanVleet. This was also a glaring issue in that 2014 series vs Spurs when Kawhi was the primary defender on Conley and become terrible. 
    • I do not believe that Jaren will be able to create for himself, but he would be the answer if he can. Other than that, we need a taller wing guy that does not allow teams to put their best guy on Ja. That means again to me, a guy like Beal and not someone like McCollum. 

31 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

I have playoff reactions as well and how they relate to Grizzlies issues. (No order of importance) 

1. Coaching is a huge factor into why teams lose in the playoffs. People on this board always poopoo this point for whatever reason and it's nonsense. Coaches refusing to make adjustments (Snyder not switching the defense on Murray until game 7, Malone not tightening his rotation until later in the series, Budenholzer not adjusting his defensive scheme vs Miami). It's absolute nonsense how many coaches refuse to adjust and stick with "what got them there" instead. In the NFL, you would never see a good coach say "this team sucks at pass defense/is elite at rush defense but we're a running team so we're gonna keep running it."
    • It will be interesting to see how Jenkins develops as a coach and if the things he does poorly improve over time or are detrimental flaws he has. For example, not challenging the foul call against Grayson Allen in the Blazers play in game was a killer. The great coaches need to be able to make in game adjustments and control the tempo of the game through subs, challenges, TO's, etc. and those are things that Jenkins did not do well in his first season. To his credit, he played Morant 43 minutes in the play in game. It will be interesting to see if Jenkins becomes more of a Nick Nurse/Spoelstra or a Quinn Snyder/Billy Donovan/Mike Budenholzer type.
  2. Your best players need a mid range game against these elite defensive teams. You can even see it with players as good as Giannis and Harden, teams are gonna run you off the 3 point line and clog the paint when it's winning time. This is why Kawhi is such a killer in the postseason, can see it with Anthony Davis as well where he's unstoppable if the mid range is going. 
    • It will be just as important for Morant to perfect his floater, pull up middy as his 3 point shot. Same thing with Jaren Jackson, what he does now ain't gonna work it all. Work on a turnaround jumper out of the post, please. 
  3. Depth is for the regular season, overrated in the postseason. Like mentioned previously, good coaches are tightening the rotation in the postseason and playing their top guys 40ish minutes when necessary. Some role players also obviously get shook in the postseason (Eric Bledsoe) and they're not playing against bench players as much like in the regular season.
    • This is why you guys still talking about adding 3+D players or trying to draft some sleepers late in the draft is weird to me. The guys we have currently are good enough if they're playing the appropriate role tbh. What we're missing now is that #2 guy like a Bradley Beal or the #3 if Jaren becomes better.  Perennial all-star talent is the hole we're missing right now whether it's through an acquisition or a Clarke becoming a Siakam type. I don't think guys like Oubre or Heild are the answer for this. 
  4. If your best player is able to play small ball 5 effectively, they have to. Obviously it depends on matchups but it gives you more flexibility both offensively and defensively. It sounds like Anthony Davis finally realized this after 8 years in the NBA. Budenholzer not doing this with Giannis in the Heat series is idiotic. 
    • Jaren has to be comfortable and good playing the 5 which means he has to exponentially improve his terrible rebounding. 
  5. Smaller pg's usually get clamped in the playoffs because opposing teams end up putting their best defensive wing on them. Chris Paul fell apart at the end of game 7 when Houston put their biggest guy on him. Clippers will put George/Kawhi on Murray when the situation demands it. Brown/Tatum have made things supremely difficult on Lowry/VanVleet. This was also a glaring issue in that 2014 series vs Spurs when Kawhi was the primary defender on Conley and become terrible. 
    • I do not believe that Jaren will be able to create for himself, but he would be the answer if he can. Other than that, we need a taller wing guy that does not allow teams to put their best guy on Ja. That means again to me, a guy like Beal and not someone like McCollum. 

Beal isn't available and we don't have the assets to acquire a player of that caliber. Heck we'd be fortunate to acquire someone of CJ's caliber. Every move isn't going to be a homerun but each move can be strategic. Kelly is a solid player, but he's more attractive in a trade then anyone on this team we're willing to part with. I hope we get lucky in a draft, but smart money would suggest we improve other ways with this current roster