bhoyal

Crowder had 16 & 6 in the Miami upset win?

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

I don't think it's big man that was ever in question. I think it's the big body filler big man that is gone.  Your bigs have to be skilled or you are better off sliding traditional SFs up to PF.  No more guys who are just bruisers or bangers. 

Yeah but some (a lot of) people said out loud that small ball was the way of the future and 7 footers were obsolete. I mean, not in this forum, in general.

3 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Yeah but some (a lot of) people said out loud that small ball was the way of the future and 7 footers were obsolete.

I agree but I think thats based on the presumption that there wouldn't be enough skilled seven footers to hang. 

One thing I've noticed every once n a while when they're on the floor together, Crowder is up in Herro's ear no doubt teaching him. Who's gonna be that guy for our team?

See it really kills me, thinking about it now, how Iguodala didn't want to suit up for us. He really could've given some invaluable advice to the young guys especially Brooks I think. As much as I'd love to see Crowder win a championship I'd love nothing more right now than to see Iguodala lose to Lebron in a game 7 buzzer beater shot over him. That would be sweet karma.

1 hour ago, cdp said:

One thing I've noticed every once n a while when they're on the floor together, Crowder is up in Herro's ear no doubt teaching him. Who's gonna be that guy for our team?

See it really kills me, thinking about it now, how Iguodala didn't want to suit up for us. He really could've given some invaluable advice to the young guys especially Brooks I think. As much as I'd love to see Crowder win a championship I'd love nothing more right now than to see Iguodala lose to Lebron in a game 7 buzzer beater shot over him. That would be sweet karma.

I think if Iguodala was that type of guy, he would’ve been that guy. Probably better off without his mentoring because he seems to have at least one character flaw when it comes to his situation with us.
I do prefer having vets/journeymen on a team along with young players. I think it provides a nice balance to things instead of having a team full of young prospects, or vice versa. 

30 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I think if Iguodala was that type of guy, he would’ve been that guy. Probably better off without his mentoring because he seems to have at least one character flaw when it comes to his situation with us.
I do prefer having vets/journeymen on a team along with young players. I think it provides a nice balance to things instead of having a team full of young prospects, or vice versa. 

Exactly, not every vet is into mentoring youth while losing 60 games.  If he wasn't that guy it's easier for him to not be around. 

Props to Jae Crowder and Solo Hill! 

Kinda funny that Iggy gets matched up with LeBron after all that talk of everybody in the West getting him for this reason. 

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

Props to Jae Crowder and Solo Hill! 

Kinda funny that Iggy gets matched up with LeBron after all that talk of everybody in the West getting him for this reason. 

Their time here was short, but I thought they were good additions to the team. Congratulations to them and I’m pulling for them.
I don’t know how many games the Finals will go, but should be a scrappy defensive series-which I enjoy. The 3-point shots will keep things uptempo though. I like the matchups between the 1-4 positions and am interested to see how they use their bigs against one another.

It’ll be tough to get past LA. LeBron is still on another level than the rest of the league and hasn’t really lost anything, so I can’t see them losing. 

I respect leBron, I just don't like him or what he thinks of himself in today's game near 40...so pulling for Miami who I think will win game 1, but this series is going 6 at least...re Crowder, he never seemed to fit in with us, but he seemed like a decent guy, so happy he has a role to play in Miami...our biggest FA signing??  What about JV?  If he was a kid from the hood who averaged 15 points, 11 RBDS, PER of 22+ in 26 minutes a night as your third option?  Sign him.

Guys in the NBA finals who made the 2019-20 Memphis Grizzlies Basketball_Reference page:

Lakers:

Dion Waiters, Dwight Howard (Avery Bradley)

Heat:

Jae Crowder, Solomon Hill, Andre Iguodala

2 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Guys in the NBA finals who made the 2019-20 Memphis Grizzlies Basketball_Reference page:

Lakers:

Heat:

So you're saying we had all the pieces

On 9/29/2020 at 11:06 PM, Grizzled Vet said:

Lakers:

Heat:

Ja/Tyus

Dillon/Melton/Allen

Jae/Iggy/SlowMo

Jaren/Clarke/Hill

JV/Howard

1 hour ago, Ja_Rules said:

Ja/Tyus

Dillon/Melton/Allen

Jae/Iggy/SlowMo

Jaren/Clarke/Hill

JV/Howard

Definitely would have gotten us the playoffs with that group but certainly could have stunted growth as well. Most notable Clark and Melton would’ve had reduced minutes. 

On 10/12/2020 at 2:31 PM, QMemphis said:

Definitely would have gotten us the playoffs with that group but certainly could have stunted growth as well. Most notable Clark and Melton would’ve had reduced minutes. 

We could have had Korver and Carter instead of Melton and Josh too.  

On 9/3/2020 at 12:41 PM, bhoyal said:

Are we giving up on some older guys too fast?   He's only 30, that's not ancient.

And he's built like an NFL player and you need a guy or two like that.

Preseason the Grizzlies' roster had Dwight Howard, Iggy, Crowder and Solo Hill - all but Hill played key roles in getting their respective teams through the playoffs and to the Finals. It would've never happened, but you wonder how the Grizzlies would've fared with those 4 vets playing alongside Jonas, JJJ, Dillon, Ja, BC, Melton, Tyus, etc.

I don't remember the total haul for all 4 players other than Winslow. Believe they just bought out Howard.

Having said that I liked Dieng. Was confused as to why he didn't get a lot of run in the bubble. Tolliver was an okay pickup.

On 10/16/2020 at 11:35 AM, Grizz&Grind said:

Preseason the Grizzlies' roster had Dwight Howard, Iggy, Crowder and Solo Hill - all but Hill played key roles in getting their respective teams through the playoffs and to the Finals. It would've never happened, but you wonder how the Grizzlies would've fared with those 4 vets playing alongside Jonas, JJJ, Dillon, Ja, BC, Melton, Tyus, etc.

I don't remember the total haul for all 4 players other than Winslow. Believe they just bought out Howard.

Having said that I liked Dieng. Was confused as to why he didn't get a lot of run in the bubble. Tolliver was an okay pickup.

Regarding Dieng. 

I think there was evidence that several guys in the bubble had maintained conditioning and worked on skills.

In the coaching staff's eyes, Dieng and Josh Jackson were not in that group, IMO.

Pre COVID break, I thought the Grizzlies were going to want to outbid a team to retain Josh. Now I wouldn't be surprised if he is training camp invite trying to make a roster whenever they start up again.

34 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Regarding Dieng. 

I think there was evidence that several guys in the bubble had maintained conditioning and worked on skills.

In the coaching staff's eyes, Dieng and Josh Jackson were not in that group, IMO.

Pre COVID break, I thought the Grizzlies were going to want to outbid a team to retain Josh. Now I wouldn't be surprised if he is training camp invite trying to make a roster whenever they start up again.

Josh Jackson is exactly the same after the many seasons and teams.

Just a tease who is not committed to doing all thats needed to excel at NBA basketball. 

That's an interview which showed what he brought to the bubble as part of the items allowed for each player and his boxes were full of candy and various other sweets. 

Team trainer must have given up.