Sign in to follow this  
chipc3

Interesting Topic about JJJ

Recommended Posts

Drew never had the type of ceiling that JJJ has.  You had really better think that he is overhyped or indeed has some unknown flaw before you flush a player like this at this stage in his career/development. **And by flush I only mean trade for some other unknown pcs.**

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just saw N.B.A ratings are DOWN 40 percent 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lions said:

just saw N.B.A ratings are DOWN 40 percent 

I'm sure playing day games during the week did not help the ratings.

And then you have the boomers who are boycotting pretty much all pro sports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The article says "is Jaren worth the risk" and for some reason it made me happy because like Porzingaz we actually have a player with high potential and high risk.

When was the last time  we got that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure the  day games hurt, as does pulling a strike in middle of the playoffs.  None of those help.

There is also a seasonality issue here that it is August, and people aren't used to watching NBA basketball.

It will be real interesting to see what happens to the salary cap and potential new CBA negotiations.

There is a scenario that they don't start a season again until next October. Not only because of potential lockout, but also a delay in getting fans in the building.

This 2020 draft really could be a double draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I'm sure the  day games hurt, as does pulling a strike in middle of the playoffs.  None of those help.

There is also a seasonality issue here that it is August, and people aren't used to watching NBA basketball.

It will be real interesting to see what happens to the salary cap and potential new CBA negotiations.

There is a scenario that they don't start a season again until next October. Not only because of potential lockout, but also a delay in getting fans in the building.

This 2020 draft really could be a double draft.

fans are not watching because of the boycotts its that plain and simple ,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm all in on the NBA, so don't care if they protest or kneel or what. But it's really undeniable that the politics of the bubble has hurt ratings.

MLB, NHL playoffs, golf, even NASCAR are all doing well. Only the NBA is off:  https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2020/08/nhl-stanley-cup-ratings-nbc-bruins-lightning-nba-postponements-mls/

B’s-Bolts most-watched second round opener in five years 

Sunday Night Baseball up from comparable week of last season

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

I'm all in on the NBA, so don't care if they protest or kneel or what. But it's really undeniable that the politics of the bubble has hurt ratings.

MLB, NHL playoffs, golf, even NASCAR are all doing well. Only the NBA is off:  https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2020/08/nhl-stanley-cup-ratings-nbc-bruins-lightning-nba-postponements-mls/

B’s-Bolts most-watched second round opener in five years 

Sunday Night Baseball up from comparable week of last season

 

This is the unfortunate truth and it paints a picture of a country that'll forever be divided

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I'm sure the  day games hurt, as does pulling a strike in middle of the playoffs.  None of those help.

There is also a seasonality issue here that it is August, and people aren't used to watching NBA basketball.

It will be real interesting to see what happens to the salary cap and potential new CBA negotiations.

There is a scenario that they don't start a season again until next October. Not only because of potential lockout, but also a delay in getting fans in the building.

This 2020 draft really could be a double draft.

If there’s no ‘21 season maybe they might not have a draft.  That would make 2022. Double Draft — possibly a TRIPLE draft if they also do away with the one and done rule.  Not sure what that would mean but I really wouldn’t want to have a first round pick the year AFTER a triple draft.  

Anyway... isn’t the Collective Bargaining Agreement up after NEXT season?  Would a potentially nasty lockout/strike entice guys to declare for the draft? Would they be more likely to stay in school?  Maybe they would consider going overseas.  E

The league could be in for a bumpy ride until the CBA is resolved (as well as the next TV deal).  

Until then the NBA needs to cater to the hardcore fans/junkies until they can go all-in on marketing/branding the future stars like Doncic/Zion/Ja/Whoever.  Jumping the gun and overhyping the youngsters before they earn it isn’t gonna help anything. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KyleB said:

I called Miller a nice complementary player, that was about as nice as I could put it. Reality is that he was a journeyman who played on 7 different teams over the course of a 14 year career and was never the first, second, or even third option on a team that made any kind of noise in the playoffs. He had a career average of 27 mpg, 16.5 mpg in the playoffs, was never selected to an all star team. He was only even a starter in just over half the games he played over the course of his career.

Drew Gooden had career averages of 11 points, 7.1 rebounds, and 1.1 assists

Mike Miller had career averages of 10.6 points 4.2 rebounds, and 2.6 assists

Miller was the NBA Sixth Man of the Year.  He still holds the Grizzlies' single game scoring record at 44, I believe.  He was the purest shooter that we ever had, and a good rebounder and passer for his position.  He was more than just a journeyman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KyleB said:

I'm sure playing day games during the week did not help the ratings.

And then you have the boomers who are boycotting pretty much all pro sports.

It's not just boomers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lions said:

fans are not watching because of the boycotts its that plain and simple ,

That’s foolish so many different factors ratings were down Already prior to the boycott. NBA games in what would be there offseason is a culture shock to a large degree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, QMemphis said:

That’s foolish so many different factors ratings were down Already prior to the boycott. NBA games in what would be there offseason is a culture shock to a large degree. 

Then why are hockey's ratings up? You have to look at the data and let that guide you. There's just no denying it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lions said:

fans are not watching because of the boycotts its that plain and simple ,

The TV viewership was down long before the boycott.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Then why are hockey's ratings up? You have to look at the data and let that guide you. There's just no denying it.

Not saying it didn’t contribute but I believe the season/time of year has been the largest distraction. But oddly enough those who object to peaceful protest and don’t want politics in sports have no problem with  the flag and national propaganda being apart of the sport. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how many are REALLY watching...👀

Just because people aren’t tuning in on a television- doesn’t mean that they aren’t watching...

The internet is amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

I wonder how many are REALLY watching...👀

Just because people aren’t tuning in on a television- doesn’t mean that they aren’t watching...

The internet is amazing.

Good point....  Lets compare their online presence....   NBA.com:  Daily Visitors: 1,269,341   Youtube:  14.7M subscribers

NFL.com:  Daily Visitors: 888,025   Youtube: 6.62M subscribers

Just a sample....  This isnt even including worldwide popularity....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as trading Jaren for Zach Levine??  Really Chip?  How dare you utter this blasphemy???  Jaren, Ja, Jonas, Brandon and possibly Justice are the core of this team....  #GrizzNxtGen  

We need to trade these jokers:  Dillon, Kyle, Marco and DeAnthony-for a 1st round pick to draft Josh Green of Arizona...
  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, chipc3 said:

The TV viewership was down long before the boycott.

your right viewership was down. but the boycott bought it down to a huge 40 percent 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Grizzhype said:

As far as trading Jaren for Zach Levine??  Really Chip?  How dare you utter this blasphemy???  Jaren, Ja, Jonas, Brandon and possibly Justice are the core of this team....  #GrizzNxtGen  

We need to trade these jokers:  Dillon, Kyle, Marco and DeAnthony-for a 1st round pick to draft Josh Green of Arizona...
  

I'm assuming you're joking right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Miller was the NBA Sixth Man of the Year.  He still holds the Grizzlies' single game scoring record at 44, I believe.  He was the purest shooter that we ever had, and a good rebounder and passer for his position.  He was more than just a journeyman.

That doesn't change the point of the post. Trying to justify trading Jaren because we once traded a guy we picked 4th in the draft for Mike Miller is silly, you don't trade someone with Jaren's potential for someone whose ceiling is sixth man of the year. The list of players I would be willing to trade Jaren for at this point is very short. If we trade Jaren and don't get either a future star or multiple starters back it will be a failure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2020 at 11:07 AM, toocoolkellz said:

So at 21 years is supposed to have proved he's allstar caliber, or he's traded, but we drafted him knowing full well that he is a project? Truthfully he has the most potential for growth on our team 

the thing about identifying upside potential is hard – for JJJ he seems to bring the technical, physical, and psychological aspects...BUT sometimes, the coach and the org just have to go with your gut instinct.  JJJ can fulfill his potential but that doesn’t always mean being a star. It means figuring out what is JJJ role is and being the best at that role.   For our Grizz, we need a star at the 4...is it JJJ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KyleB said:

That doesn't change the point of the post. Trying to justify trading Jaren because we once traded a guy we picked 4th in the draft for Mike Miller is silly, you don't trade someone with Jaren's potential for someone whose ceiling is sixth man of the year. The list of players I would be willing to trade Jaren for at this point is very short. If we trade Jaren and don't get either a future star or multiple starters back it will be a failure.

Zach Levine is not someone who's ceiling is 6th man of the year. Levine averaged 25 PPG last season. He's been an All-Star and my idea (which you can comment on in Trade Talk for those interested) includes Chicago's first round pick (#4 overall) in the draft. 

I didn't start this trade idea. I merely posted someone else's article also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Zach Levine is not someone who's ceiling is 6th man of the year. Levine averaged 25 PPG last season. He's been an All-Star and my idea (which you can comment on in Trade Talk for those interested) includes Chicago's first round pick (#4 overall) in the draft. 

I didn't start this trade idea. I merely posted someone else's article also. 

I wasn't replying to the thread in the trade forum, I was replying to this one where you implied that drafting Gooden wasn't a mistake because it ultimately brought us Mike Miller.

But just to use Lavine as an example, do you think Minnesota would still do that trade if they had it to do over again? They traded away a young prospect with 2 way potential for a guy who was a little bit older and more established but had some history of clashing with teammates (Rose). The player clashed with his younger teammates in Minnesota and was gone after just a couple seasons and set the team back years in their development, they still have not recovered. Hell, you could argue that Butler had a part in Wiggins' disappointing production, Butler killed his confidence. LaVine could have been retained and the young team grow together, instead of bringing in a guy who was ready to win now and had no patience for letting his younger teammates develop and reach their potential.

We have a young team and a young coach and you are talking about trading a young prospect with 2 way potential for a guy who is a bit older but now has some history of clashing with his coach (I acknowledge that the same applies to Hield but nobody suggested trading JJJ for Heild). Do you think Jenkins as a second year coach wants a potential coach killer on the roster? How does this look a couple years from now if LaVine and Jenkins don't get along and we have to move on from one of them, either the player who we gave up a young prospect with unicorn potential for or a young coach who nearly got his team to the playoffs after everyone predicted them to finish near the bottom of the league.

Let all the young guys develop together for a couple years so we know what we have. If Porter turns out to be a star in the making then you can start thinking about trading JJJ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, KyleB said:

I wasn't replying to the thread in the trade forum, I was replying to this one where you implied that drafting Gooden wasn't a mistake because it ultimately brought us Mike Miller.

But just to use Lavine as an example, do you think Minnesota would still do that trade if they had it to do over again? They traded away a young prospect with 2 way potential for a guy who was a little bit older and more established but had some history of clashing with teammates (Rose). The player clashed with his younger teammates in Minnesota and was gone after just a couple seasons and set the team back years in their development, they still have not recovered. Hell, you could argue that Butler had a part in Wiggins' disappointing production, Butler killed his confidence. LaVine could have been retained and the young team grow together, instead of bringing in a guy who was ready to win now and had no patience for letting his younger teammates develop and reach their potential.

We have a young team and a young coach and you are talking about trading a young prospect with 2 way potential for a guy who is a bit older but now has some history of clashing with his coach (I acknowledge that the same applies to Hield but nobody suggested trading JJJ for Heild). Do you think Jenkins as a second year coach wants a potential coach killer on the roster? How does this look a couple years from now if LaVine and Jenkins don't get along and we have to move on from one of them, either the player who we gave up a young prospect with unicorn potential for or a young coach who nearly got his team to the playoffs after everyone predicted them to finish near the bottom of the league.

Let all the young guys develop together for a couple years so we know what we have. If Porter turns out to be a star in the making then you can start thinking about trading JJJ. 

Developing all the young guys together is not the model that works...I've said from my earliest posts that at least one or maybe 2 of our top 3 young guys (JA, JJJ, Clarke) will not be with our team in 3 years...if you take the Raptors top picks over the years that were legit NBA starters/or key rotational players like...JV, Ross, Bruno, Poitl, Wright, Davis ...they were all traded for what Raptors thought they needed to improve....Lowry, Gasol, Ibaka for example...  I am not wedded to anyone that we draft if it means improving the team...so JJJ needs to be a star at the 4 position...whereas we need an all star shooter at 2 or 3.  If JJJ will develop "SOON" into a perennial all star then no issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this