Sign in to follow this  
chipc3

Interesting Topic about JJJ

1 hour ago, cdp said:

What? I mean yes......for Doncic.

After all. He's had ankle problems the past two seasons. Mavs should really think about trading him before his injuries start piling up, it'll make it difficult to trade him later.

Its really too bad Golden State didn't get rid of Curry when they had the chance. No way a guard with a history of ankle problems should be the guy you build your team around.

49 minutes ago, KyleB said:

He was averaging 12 and 6 after 51 games for us when he was traded, JJJ averaged 14 and 5 in 58 games his rookie year. But Gooden only shot 30% from three on 1 attempt per game and wasn't the rim protector that Jaren is.

We got a former number 5 pick / rookie of the year plus a late 1rst round pick by way of Sacremento in return for Gooden.

If the Grizzlies traded Jaren for Malcolm Brogdon (ROY 2 years ago) or Chris Dunn (5th pick 2017 draft) and the 27th pick in the 2020 draft I would be livid.

I think Brogdon would complement Ja perfectly but I don't see how that could happen. I guess they could blow things up but seems to me Oladipo would be the first to go if that happened. 

50 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I think Brogdon would complement Ja perfectly but I don't see how that could happen. I guess they could blow things up but seems to me Oladipo would be the first to go if that happened. 

I was just using that as an example equivalent to getting Mike Miller for Drew Godden. Mike Miller was the ROY 2 years before Gooden was drafted, Brogdon was the ROY 2 years before JJJ was drafted. I also mentioned Chris Dunn. Mike Miller was the 5th pick 2 years before Gooden was drafted, Chris Dunn was the 5th pick in the draft 2 years before JJJ was drafted. Since the 5th pick in that draft did not win ROY I said Malcolm Brogdon or Chris Dunn to cover both since Miller was drafted 5th and had won ROY.

Either way,  Gooden was putting up similar scoring and rebounding numbers when we traded him to what JJJ put up as a rookie and if we got something similar in return in a hypothetical trade for JJJ as we got for Gooden I would be livid. We got a good complementary player and a late first for Gooden, if we took that for JJJ the front office would be run out of town, even though they put up similar scoring and rebounding numbers for us in their respective rookie seasons.

By saying Gooden was putting up similar numbers to what JJJ put up as a rookie I was trying to goad someone who thinks this is a good idea into arguing that JJJ would get more in a trade because of his 3 pt shooting and rim protecting, then I could turn that around on them and say that's exactly why you don't trade him, he is special.

Anybody with any common sense can see that JJJ is a much better prospect than Gooden ever was, to trade him over a thigh bruise would be incredibly stupid.

First of all, hell no.

Two, I don't like passiveness. If you don't like a player, come out and say it. But don't hide behind trash "articles" like this and pretend like you're being objective

18 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

That's because he was underperforming, not to mention we were playing him out of his natural position because we had Pau at the 4. Totally different scenario. We should have never drafted Gooden. 

I have a Drew Gooden story. There was a silent auction for St. Jude, and one of the prizes was a round of golf and lunch at Southwind with Jerry West. And my buddy gets his company to bid $1,500 iirc, and surprisingly they had the highest bid. So my buddy is in the cart with Jerry West, and two other employees are in the other cart. Jerry West is an awesome golfer. 

This is like May of the end of Gooden's rookie year, so 2003 I guess? Anyway, after a few holes they see that West is a pretty cool guy, and they start peppering him with Grizz questions. They get to the 'Why did you trade Gooden after just drafting him?' question. 

And West laughs and goes off on Gooden. Says he was the dumbest player he'd ever drafted. Couldn't learn the plays. I guess that was that the year Hubie took over after 8 games? Anyway, Hubie was pulling his hair out. Would tell Gooden where to stand to start a play during a TV break, Gooden would go right out and stand on the opposite side of the court. Said don't switch on D, and Gooden would switch. And on and on. Everything they told him went in one ear and out the other. 

Hubie wanted smart players, so West said he had to get rid of him before the league figured Gooden out. 

14 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

I have a Drew Gooden story. There was a silent auction for St. Jude, and one of the prizes was a round of golf and lunch at Southwind with Jerry West. And my buddy gets his company to bid $1,500 iirc, and surprisingly they had the highest bid. So my buddy is in the cart with Jerry West, and two other employees are in the other cart. Jerry West is an awesome golfer. 

This is like May of the end of Gooden's rookie year, so 2003 I guess? Anyway, after a few holes they see that West is a pretty cool guy, and they start peppering him with Grizz questions. They get to the 'Why did you trade Gooden after just drafting him?' question. 

And West laughs and goes off on Gooden. Says he was the dumbest player he'd ever drafted. Couldn't learn the plays. I guess that was that the year Hubie took over after 8 games? Anyway, Hubie was pulling his hair out. Would tell Gooden where to stand to start a play during a TV break, Gooden would go right out and stand on the opposite side of the court. Said don't switch on D, and Gooden would switch. And on and on. Everything they told him went in one ear and out the other. 

Hubie wanted smart players, so West said he had to get rid of him before the league figured Gooden out. 

I believe it. Like I said, we should have never drafted Gooden. 

16 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I don’t know but I’ll look. 

Of course the premise is to win the trade and improve the team not do as well as other teams isn’t it! 😉

The Nets have Jarrett Allen and DeAndre Jordan both averaging over 9 rebounds But they don’t start together. Milwaukee has Giannis at 13 and Middleton at 7.8. Just under your threshold. The Mavs have Porzingis and Doncic both over 9 boards and both starting. 

Memphis’ second best rebounder among their starters was Jae Crowder at 6.2. Since he is no longer on the team that makes Jaren at 4.6 RPG second best. I suspect the team could handle having a bit more rebounding among the starting five.

So far you’ve argued that the Grizzlies shouldn’t look to trade Jaren because opposing GMs would offer nothing for him, that there weren’t any decent players available to trade with, that Zach Levine is both too good and not good enough for Jaren in a trade and that getting more rebounding isn’t a good thing. What’s your next excuse for not looking into trades for Jaren?

With exception of JA, nobody is untouchable on this team.  I wouldn't initiate any calls on trading JJJ for this season, but if a GM called me re his availability i would listen.  The question is...even with full health, is JJJ a consistent all-star, or a good player?  We need a consistency and a game changer/momentum builder at the the 4.  He struggles against top talent at 5, so he needs to be an all star at 4.  An all star is double double @4 on most nights, and hits at least 2 or 3 of these metrics...25+ PTS, 36% from 3, 9 rebounds, 7 assists and PER above 22, shut down defender at 4.  Is this or will it be JJJ?  Take the call from others on JJJ, BUT I would prefer we give him next season to prove to his team and ownership he is that guy.

18 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

True, but 2002 was a horrible draft. Just try to look at this 1st round without losing your breakfast.

Maybe 4 good, not great players?  Yao Ming 1st overall, Amar'e, Caron Butler and Tayshaun? 

Btw, we will look back in a year and see that this draft will be similar to the 2003, 2103 drafts. Awful. We are lucky to convey this year. 

C 23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_ China Houston Rockets Shanghai Sharks (China)
1 2 Jay Williams PG 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Chicago Bulls Duke (Jr.)
1 3 Mike Dunleavy Jr. SF/SG 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Golden State Warriors Duke (Jr.)
1 4 Drew Gooden PF/C 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Memphis Grizzlies Kansas (Jr.)
1 5 Nikoloz Tskitishvili PF/C 23px-Flag_of_Georgia.svg.png Georgia Denver Nuggets Benetton Treviso (Italy)
1 6 Dajuan Wagner PG 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Cleveland Cavaliers Memphis (Fr.)
1 7 Nenê C/PF 22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Brazil New York Knicks (traded to Denver)[7] Vasco da Gama (Brazil)
1 8 Chris Wilcox PF/C 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Los Angeles Clippers (from Atlanta) Maryland (So.)
1 9 Amar'e Stoudemire*~ PF/C 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Phoenix Suns Cypress Creek HS (Orlando, Florida)
1 10 Caron Butler+ SF 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Miami Heat Connecticut (So.)
1 11 Jared Jeffries PF/C 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Washington Wizards Indiana (So.)
1 12 Melvin Ely C/PF 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Los Angeles Clippers Fresno State (Sr.)
1 13 Marcus Haislip PF 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Milwaukee Bucks Tennessee (Jr.)
1 14 Fred Jones SG 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Indiana Pacers Oregon (Sr.)
1 15 Boštjan Nachbar SF/PF 23px-Flag_of_Slovenia.svg.png Slovenia Houston Rockets (from Toronto) Benetton Treviso (Italy)
1 16 Jiří Welsch SG/SF 23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic Philadelphia 76ers (traded to Golden State) Union Olimpija (Slovenia and Adriatic League)
1 17 Juan Dixon PG 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Washington Wizards (from New Orleans) Maryland (Sr.)
1 18 Curtis Borchardt C 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Orlando Magic (traded to Utah) Stanford (Jr.)
1 19 Ryan Humphrey PF 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Utah Jazz (traded to Orlando) Notre Dame (Sr.)
1 20 Kareem Rush SG 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Toronto Raptors (from Seattle via New York, traded to Los Angeles Lakers) Missouri (Jr.)
1 21 Qyntel Woods SF 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Portland Trail Blazers Northeast Mississippi CC (So.)
1 22 Casey Jacobsen SG 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Phoenix Suns (from Boston) Stanford (Jr.)
1 23 Tayshaun Prince SF 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Detroit Pistons Kentucky (Sr.)
1 24 Nenad Krstić C/PF 23px-Flag_of_Yugoslavia_%281992%E2%80%93 FR Yugoslavia New Jersey Nets Partizan Belgrade (Sinalco Superleague and Adriatic League)
1 25 Frank Williams PG 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Denver Nuggets (from Dallas, traded to New York)[7] Illinois (Jr.)
1 26 John Salmons SF/SG 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States San Antonio Spurs (traded to Philadelphia) Miami (Sr.)
1 27 Chris Jefferies SF 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Los Angeles Lakers (traded to Toronto) Fresno State (Jr.)
1 28 Dan Dickau PG 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Sacramento Kings (traded to Atlanta) Gonzaga (Sr.)
1 29 Forfeited pick     Minnesota Timberwolves (forfeited their first-round pick due to salary cap violations)[8]  
2 30 Steve Log

Just now, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

But Gooden got traded early in his career and that brought Mike Miller to Memphis. 

Just now, chipc3 said:

But Gooden got traded early in his career and that brought Mike Miller to Memphis. 

Sunshine Patrol in full effect!!!

Just now, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Sunshine Patrol in full effect!!!

I don't see how putting something in complete context is being the Sunshine Patrol. 

You claim Drew Gooden was a mistake. That's possibly true but it is also true that Drew Gooden got Mike Miller to Memphis (via a trade of the #4 pick in the draft no less). Sometimes it isn't a bad thing to discuss trades for a highly regarded player at that time. Wouldn't you agree that the real mistake would have been to hold onto Drew to see if he would develop and not pursue the trade? 

3 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

True, but 2002 was a horrible draft. Just try to look at this 1st round without losing your breakfast.

Maybe 4 good, not great players?  Yao Ming 1st overall, Amar'e, Caron Butler and Tayshaun? 

Btw, we will look back in a year and see that this draft will be similar to the 2003, 2103 drafts. Awful. We are lucky to convey this year. 

Oh, I wasn't saying there was someone else that was a better player or that I liked better. If I remember correctly, I wanted us to trade out. Which we kind of sort of did in a roundabout way a few months later.

If anything, I was thinking maybe Wagner but his health took him down. Obviously Amare, but he was a high schooler and a big, but if we took Gooden why not take a chance on Amare? I wasn't excited about that draft but it worked itself out.  Drew just couldn't adjust to do what needed to be done. 

1 hour ago, Lugan Village said:

With exception of JA, nobody is untouchable on this team.  I wouldn't initiate any calls on trading JJJ for this season, but if a GM called me re his availability i would listen.  The question is...even with full health, is JJJ a consistent all-star, or a good player?  We need a consistency and a game changer/momentum builder at the the 4.  He struggles against top talent at 5, so he needs to be an all star at 4.  An all star is double double @4 on most nights, and hits at least 2 or 3 of these metrics...25+ PTS, 36% from 3, 9 rebounds, 7 assists and PER above 22, shut down defender at 4.  Is this or will it be JJJ?  Take the call from others on JJJ, BUT I would prefer we give him next season to prove to his team and ownership he is that guy.

So at 21 years is supposed to have proved he's allstar caliber, or he's traded, but we drafted him knowing full well that he is a project? Truthfully he has the most potential for growth on our team 

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

I don't see how putting something in complete context is being the Sunshine Patrol. 

You claim Drew Gooden was a mistake. That's possibly true but it is also true that Drew Gooden got Mike Miller to Memphis (via a trade of the #4 pick in the draft no less). Sometimes it isn't a bad thing to discuss trades for a highly regarded player at that time. Wouldn't you agree that the real mistake would have been to hold onto Drew to see if he would develop and not pursue the trade? 

Take it easy Chip. I was just saying you look on the bright side of everything. That's a good thing. 

Click bait is dope. Real cutting edge journalism they got going over there. Oh wait, I didnt read the article and dont plan on doing so. Jaren has too much potential . Absolutely ridiculous. If he gets his fouling under control the kid is going to be a monster. I honestly think hes going to be better than Ja

this would be a GREAT trade for the Grizzlies.trade jackson who is only 20 years , he then goes to the Lakers , he  becomes a double/double machine then a  allstar , and  wins many titles and the Grizzlies once again become A laughing stocks of the N.B.A 

31 minutes ago, lions said:

this would be a GREAT trade for the Grizzlies.trade jackson who is only 20 years , he then goes to the Lakers , he  becomes a double/double machine then a  allstar , and  wins many titles and the Grizzlies once again become A laughing stocks of the N.B.A 

Versus keeping him for two more years and have him walk to LA in free agency?

Seriously, if you are thinking JJJ is headed to LA once he’s able to go then it makes a lot of sense to trade him now rather than wait until everyone knows the Grizz have to trade him or worse pull a Wallace and lose him for nothing.

Just now, chipc3 said:

Versus keeping him for two more years and have him walk to LA I. Free agency? 

he seems to like memphis and he may want to stay here and help this team win a title 

1 minute ago, lions said:

he seems to like memphis and he may want to stay here and help this team win a title 

He may at that but that isn’t a reason to not pursue ideas to improve the team. 

2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Chip , i just think its to early to lose faith in this man 

7 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Chip , i just think its to early to lose faith in this man 

jjj 17.4 pts 5 rbs per game . it should only get Better 

16 hours ago, QMemphis said:

I see Chip still has it out for Jaren lol 

Yea he has some kind of weird vendetta against Jaren

6 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I called Miller a nice complementary player, that was about as nice as I could put it. Reality is that he was a journeyman who played on 7 different teams over the course of a 14 year career and was never the first, second, or even third option on a team that made any kind of noise in the playoffs. He had a career average of 27 mpg, 16.5 mpg in the playoffs, was never selected to an all star team. He was only even a starter in just over half the games he played over the course of his career.

Drew Gooden had career averages of 11 points, 7.1 rebounds, and 1.1 assists

Mike Miller had career averages of 10.6 points 4.2 rebounds, and 2.6 assists