SC Grizz

With the 40th pick the Grizzlies take...

11 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

I think a lot of posters here want to draft a 3 point shooter to be, basically, our third wing along with Winslow and Dillon.  Either a 2 or 3.  Doesn’t matter too much.  

Personally, I want TWO shooters. Ideally one to start ASAP.  Or, we go with a Splash Brothers bench.  We can go get our pedigreed, athletic, all-around blue chipper in the 2021 draft — but I am not entirely sure how many of those guys can shoot.  

How do we get 2 shooters with 1 pick? Use the MLE on another shooter? I don't know how that will work out price wise. NBA level shooters are expensive.

I also do not see this FO giving up an asset to move into the 1st round unless it is another B. Clark scenario where a really good prospect drops. Like if Cole Anthony is sitting there at 29 and you can somehow trade two future 2nds for him.

49 minutes ago, SC Grizz said:

How do we get 2 shooters with 1 pick? Use the MLE on another shooter? I don't know how that will work out price wise. NBA level shooters are expensive.

I also do not see this FO giving up an asset to move into the 1st round unless it is another B. Clark scenario where a really good prospect drops. Like if Cole Anthony is sitting there at 29 and you can somehow trade two future 2nds for him.

Trade down or buy an extra pick.  Good shooting prospects in the second round, although only a couple probably have NBA “upside” and maybe most of them are only end-of-the-bench guys (or G League quality). That’s why I want two.  You’re lucky if one hits — and if you get really lucky and two hit then you are ahead of the Rebuild Curve once again.  

Lets get two of Markus Howard, Mason Jones, Sam Merrill, Jordan Nwora, Jay Scrubb (is he more of a scorer though?), Isaiah Joe, Immanuel Quickley, Malachi Flynn and guys like that.  

Everybody wants to trade DOWN this year? Then trade UP.  

Everybody wants to trade UP next year? Trade DOWN.

Easier to do. Cheaper. Less traffic.  Heck, it might even be good “strategy”.

Whoever we take better be able to shot or defend 

I was all "40th pick, meh," till I did some looking. 

Kyle Korver 51st pick
Gilbert Arenas 30 
Cuttino Mobley 41 
Carlos Boozer 34 
Nick Van Exel  37 
Michael Redd 43 
Paul Millsap 47 
Luis Scola 55 
Marc Gasol 48 
Manu Ginobili  57

16 minutes ago, TimBC said:

Kyle Korver 51st pick
Gilbert Arenas 30 
Cuttino Mobley 41 
Carlos Boozer 34 
Nick Van Exel  37 
Michael Redd 43 
Paul Millsap 47 
Luis Scola 55 
Marc Gasol 48 
Manu Ginobili  57

Not that he's on the same level, but even Dillon Brooks was 44th I believe. He's at least an above average NBA player. There's certainly value to be had there. 

16 hours ago, dy_dy_dynomite said:

Markus Howard is probably the best guy for that. He is pretty undersized though

He’s not long or y’all but he is kinda explosive and looks to have a better build than another scrawny guy like Trae Young.  Call me crazy... I think he can add muscle.  There are also clips of him dunking in practice on a YouTube video that bills his vertical at a purported 40 inches.  Probably not a game-functional vertical but still... 

He’s not a non-athlete.  

I actually think Markus Howard should be a top 15-20 pick.  Teams through the Steph/Trae defensive packages at him and he still got his.

Sneaky great nano-ball (super small ball) fit with Ja Morant.  

In my opinion if we go after Markus Howard we should also draft ANOTHER shooter, either by trading down or buying a late second rounder.  Sam Merrill is one of my faves and the CA had him as a top 5 option at 40.  Mason Jones and Isaiah Joe and a few more would be solid options too.  A Splash Bro’s. Bench would put us ahead of the curve.

this sucks that we are in rebuild, just getting started and we draft 40th?  We still have huge holes, 3 pt shooting forward, a shooting guard that makes 3's, a legit back-up to JV, a shut-down forward...other than that were in good shape.

So strategy is to keep acquiring assets thru trade or FA, and deal pieces to get better assets.  Only untouchable it JA....possibly JJJ for this year..

6 hours ago, TimBC said:

Kyle Korver 51st pick
Gilbert Arenas 30 
Cuttino Mobley 41 
Carlos Boozer 34 
Nick Van Exel  37 
Michael Redd 43 
Paul Millsap 47 
Luis Scola 55 
Marc Gasol 48 
Manu Ginobili  57

Seven players picked 40th or later in the history of the draft...

Those aren’t exactly great odds for finding a diamond in the rough.

7 hours ago, TimBC said:

Kyle Korver 51st pick
Gilbert Arenas 30 
Cuttino Mobley 41 
Carlos Boozer 34 
Nick Van Exel  37 
Michael Redd 43 
Paul Millsap 47 
Luis Scola 55 
Marc Gasol 48 
Manu Ginobili  57

You missed a few others of note.

Monta Ellis, Lou Williams, Nikola Jokic, Isaiah Thomas, Danny Green, Patty Mills, Lance Stephenson, and Will Barton were all taken 40th or later (Thomas was taken dead last at 60th).

9 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

He’s not long or y’all but he is kinda explosive and looks to have a better build than another scrawny guy like Trae Young.  Call me crazy... I think he can add muscle.  There are also clips of him dunking in practice on a YouTube video that bills his vertical at a purported 40 inches.  Probably not a game-functional vertical but still... 

He’s not a non-athlete.  

I actually think Markus Howard should be a top 15-20 pick.  Teams through the Steph/Trae defensive packages at him and he still got his.

Sneaky great nano-ball (super small ball) fit with Ja Morant.  

In my opinion if we go after Markus Howard we should also draft ANOTHER shooter, either by trading down or buying a late second rounder.  Sam Merrill is one of my faves and the CA had him as a top 5 option at 40.  Mason Jones and Isaiah Joe and a few more would be solid options too.  A Splash Bro’s. Bench would put us ahead of the curve.

Give me both Howard and Merrill. Let them fight it out for last spot on the team and two way contract 

10 minutes ago, dy_dy_dynomite said:

Give me both Howard and Merrill. Let them fight it out for last spot on the team and two way contract 

Sure.  Maybe you put both guys on 2 way deals for one year then you see what they can REALLY do in 2021-2022.  

A bench that includes Melton, Markus Howard, Sam Merrill and Clarke would be NICE.  Especially if other benches attempt to go “small”. 

Ironically, Jae Crowder would be a great fit for that second unit and you can also use him with any combination of our starters: Ja, Dillon/Grayson, Winslow, Jaren and JV.  Or... maybe another former Grizzly like Jeff Green or even DeMarre Carroll.

On 9/14/2020 at 8:38 PM, dy_dy_dynomite said:

Usually at 40 only do one of them things. Which do you prefer more

Make Baskets