Grizzled Vet

Your 2020 offseason moves predictions. Free agents & deals

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

He did. He was shooting over 60% through the bubble at one point. I know that went down but he was still shooting close to 40% from three I think. (Not gonna look it up lol)

But his volume wasn't enough to make him a respectable shooter. Teams scouting will live with a Kyle Anderson 3 pt shot. He did come back and look better from the start of the bubble during scrimmage games but his attempts aren't up to par, at least not where we need him to be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Memphis Maverick said:

He did. He was shooting over 60% through the bubble at one point. I know that went down but he was still shooting close to 40% from three I think. (Not gonna look it up lol)

If he continues through a full season he may garner some respect from out there though. Hopefully this is the new norm. He'll have some wide open shots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

I mean at first I thought so too, but I'd rather have peg leg than to hold on to that potential disaster. I have made my piece with it. Just imagine if Winslow didn't go down and we're up on Lakers,  then it looks like a guiness move.

 

But he did and we ain't so no. 

 

Winslow was traded for potential.

Potentially being able to stay healthy and play, potentially improving his skill set because of his age, potentially being a seamless fit for this team's play style. That's all hypothetical based on potential and this team knows how strotential can work out. 

Taking on those ridiculous contracts for a player that has never played one full season healthy and has terrible shooting percentages is a bad risk. 

Personally based on history, Winslow will always be injury plagued throughout his career. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Teddy.B said:

 

But he did and we ain't so no. 

 

Winslow was traded for potential.

Potentially being able to stay healthy and play, potentially improving his skill set because of his age, potentially being a seamless fit for this team's play style. That's all hypothetical based on potential and this team knows how strotential can work out. 

Taking on those ridiculous contracts for a player that has never played one full season healthy and has terrible shooting percentages is a bad risk. 

Personally based on history, Winslow will always be injury plagued throughout his career. 

Taking in to context what was iggy offering? Fining him wasn't helping us win any more than a injured guy. If Winslow scores even 1 point, he %100 out performed iggy. Like I said earlier, once iggy refused to play for small markets, it hurt his value and limited us. We were damned if we didn't....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sitting Iggy and letting his deal expire was better than taking on two hugely overpriced contracts. We will continue paying for next season. This limits possibilities. 

Winslow has reduced opportunity costs he has already cost the team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Teddy.B said:

Sitting Iggy and letting his deal expire was better than taking on two hugely overpriced contracts. We will continue paying for next season. This limits possibilities. 

Winslow has reduced opportunity costs he has already cost the team. 

Did you think we were planning to sign a player this off season? If no, the money isn't affecting us at all, also consider how weak the free agency market is this year. Letting iggy fall off the books means we got absolutely nothing. We turned one contract into an expiring next year in Deing and a player who could potentially be a starting wing. Imho they did the best they could with what we had

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Teddy.B said:

Sitting Iggy and letting his deal expire was better than taking on two hugely overpriced contracts. We will continue paying for next season. This limits possibilities. 

Winslow has reduced opportunity costs he has already cost the team. 

I'm not suggesting it was a great move,but I'm sure this FO didn't just make some hasty decision just to move on. This isn't Chris making decisions,  I'm sure they weighed their options and went with the best one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2020 at 9:57 PM, Rdk4121 said:

I'd say he's at least 6-7 in shoes, he's listed as 6-6 without shoes (and you'll remember the NBA required all teams to list their players actual heights without shoes starting this year). Plus he's pretty strong for his size. He actually started a game at C for the Heat once. Obviously that was because of injuries, but still. He can certainly guard 4s.

Measured 6’4.5” without shoes 6’5” with shoes at the combine. The NBA does not require their teams to list their players with accurate heights, if they did KD and LeBron at the same height because KD is listed as 6’9” when he’s actually 6’11” and change. 
 

If we’re saying he can guard Jayson Tatum who plays the 4 and not Al Horford who is a 4 then yes. But he can’t guard actual bigs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, King Dork said:

Measured 6’4.5” without shoes 6’5” with shoes at the combine. The NBA does not require their teams to list their players with accurate heights, if they did KD and LeBron at the same height because KD is listed as 6’9” when he’s actually 6’11” and change. 
 

If we’re saying he can guard Jayson Tatum who plays the 4 and not Al Horford who is a 4 then yes. But he can’t guard actual bigs. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/clutchpoints.com/everyone-who-lost-or-gained-inches-due-to-height-rule-change/amp/

Absolutely not true. NBA inacted a measure to Crack down on false measurements and to increase the integrity of the information. This is the first year with those new measurements. 

Justise can certainly guard 4s like Ben Simmons, Aaron Gordon, etc. Horford is more of a center and has been for his entire career (he's spent 82% of his time at the center spot). Obviously he'll give up some size there, but he's plenty strong enough to do that. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Teddy.B said:

Sitting Iggy and letting his deal expire was better than taking on two hugely overpriced contracts. We will continue paying for next season. This limits possibilities. 

Winslow has reduced opportunity costs he has already cost the team. 

They were clearly just kicking the ball down the field a year. This off-season isn’t the time for them to strike, or at least that is what this FO believes. So if you aren’t going to make moves this year even with the cap space you free up why have it? Better to take a flyer on a young guy who has shown flashes and is still cheap if he continues on his trajectory. 
 

I wouldn’t have done it, but my philosophy is different from this front office. They are all in on an OKC type rebuild. And if they pull it off they’ll get the sustained excellence they are seeking. I’m just glad they have a plan and the ability to stick to it. 
 

Flopping back and forth is what got us in the position we were just in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm worried about his health. I just hope we can see him and he can find a way to stay healthy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

Did you think we were planning to sign a player this off season? If no, the money isn't affecting us at all, also consider how weak the free agency market is this year. Letting iggy fall off the books means we got absolutely nothing. We turned one contract into an expiring next year in Deing and a player who could potentially be a starting wing. Imho they did the best they could with what we had

+200

Not understanding why people don't apply context to trade scenarios.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2020 at 6:42 PM, grizz09 said:

injuries are part of the game and we can't make assumptions for the rotation based on possible injuries.  we have to assume everyone is 100% and healthy to start next season and base rotations on that.  if so, then jaren, justise, and grayson are easily top 8-9 based on what we know about them as players.

From the back, Chris Wallace shouts "Amen" while Chandler Parsons silently nods his head in agreement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

+200

Not understanding why people don't apply context to trade scenarios.    

It doesn't fit their narrative I guess. I do understand some posters frustration with the trade but looking at the context it's not hurting us really. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Teddy.B said:

Sitting Iggy and letting his deal expire was better than taking on two hugely overpriced contracts. We will continue paying for next season. This limits possibilities. 

Winslow has reduced opportunity costs he has already cost the team. 

 

I don't have an issue with Winslow and as the FO said at the time, it was the off-season move.

The issue I have is just letting Dion Waiters walk and paying him while he plays w/Lakers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Grizzled Vet said:

 

I don't have an issue with Winslow and as the FO said at the time, it was the off-season move.

The issue I have is just letting Dion Waiters walk and paying him while he plays w/Lakers.

 

But didn't they use that roster spot to take a look at Jontay Porter?   Would you rather have kept that roster spot for a questionable character vet that wasn't in your future plans.  Or take a look at a young prospect that can potentially replace Dieng?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sixers did an overhaul. Players may be available. They are going nowhere fast with one of the highest team salaries in the NBA and their salaries get even worse next year:

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

From the back, Chris Wallace shouts "Amen" while Chandler Parsons silently nods his head in agreement.

At least they viewed Winslows medical records, Chris with Chandler on the other hand smh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sixers did an overhaul. Players may be available. They are going nowhere fast with one of the highest team salaries in the NBA and their salaries get even worse next year:

 

 

 

Who we taking from them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

Who we taking from them?

Well, disclaimer, I really don't want us to make any major moves this offseason but if something did go down, I get the feeling that either Embiid and/or Simmons would be on the table. They may keep one but they will fire the coach and get rid of at least one of those guys. I doubt if we have the assets but I would see if we could get Simmons. A true point forward and could give this team a different dimension but his contract explodes next year and he's injured so is it worth it? I would take the chance. Does he immediately solve any problems such as shooting? No, but he's basically what people want Winslow and Anderson to be on offense and gives you a mismatch on the floor. I think Ja would find him for easy buckets and vice versa. 

Other than that, maybe Josh Richardson and that's a big maybe. He's on a reasonable contract but only has 1 guaranteed year left. Maybe Shake Milton as a scorer off of the bench? I don't see many players who give value with their contracts. Horford, Harris and Embiid have albatross type contracts and Ben Simmons contract is about to be one so it's not many options. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Well, disclaimer, I really don't want us to make any major moves this offseason but if something did go down, I get the feeling that either Embiid and/or Simmons would be on the table. They may keep one but they will fire the coach and get rid of at least one of those guys. I doubt if we have the assets but I would see if we could get Simmons. A true point forward and could give this team a different dimension but his contract explodes next year and he's injured so is it worth it? I would take the chance. Does he immediately solve any problems such as shooting? No, but he's basically what people want Winslow and Anderson to be on offense and gives you a mismatch on the floor. I think Ja would find him for easy buckets and vice versa. 

Other than that, maybe Josh Richardson and that's a big maybe. He's on a reasonable contract but only has 1 guaranteed year left. Maybe Shake Milton as a scorer off of the bench? I don't see many players who give value with their contracts. Horford, Harris and Embiid have albatross type contracts and Ben Simmons contract is about to be one so it's not many options. 

 

I wouldn't call Embiid an albatross of a contract. He's a top 3 center in the league, they're going to get paid at some point. Like I wouldn't say Anthony Davis is on a bad contract. Harris's contract is certainly overpaid, but not the worst contract ever. And there's no excuse for Horford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

I wouldn't call Embiid an albatross of a contract. He's a top 3 center in the league, they're going to get paid at some point. Like I wouldn't say Anthony Davis is on a bad contract. Harris's contract is certainly overpaid, but not the worst contract ever. And there's no excuse for Horford.

I'm not saying their contracts are necessarily  bad or overpaid, I'm just saying that their large contracts are preventing/hindering the Sixers from making moves that could make them better. When you have 3 guys avg almost  $30 mil per and taking up close to $90 mil of the $109  mil salary cap, you don't have much room to get better and then next year Simmons contract kicks in so those 4 contracts will match/exceed  the salary cap next year. It's just preventing them from getting better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Well, disclaimer, I really don't want us to make any major moves this offseason but if something did go down, I get the feeling that either Embiid and/or Simmons would be on the table. They may keep one but they will fire the coach and get rid of at least one of those guys. I doubt if we have the assets but I would see if we could get Simmons. A true point forward and could give this team a different dimension but his contract explodes next year and he's injured so is it worth it? I would take the chance. Does he immediately solve any problems such as shooting? No, but he's basically what people want Winslow and Anderson to be on offense and gives you a mismatch on the floor. I think Ja would find him for easy buckets and vice versa. 

Other than that, maybe Josh Richardson and that's a big maybe. He's on a reasonable contract but only has 1 guaranteed year left. Maybe Shake Milton as a scorer off of the bench? I don't see many players who give value with their contracts. Horford, Harris and Embiid have albatross type contracts and Ben Simmons contract is about to be one so it's not many options. 

 

I was looking at their roster and I 100% agree. Josh is probably the only player. I would want a kings ransom worth of picks to even consider those horrid contracts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I'm not saying their contracts are necessarily  bad or overpaid, I'm just saying that their large contracts are preventing/hindering the Sixers from making moves that could make them better. When you have 3 guys avg almost  $30 mil per and taking up close to $90 mil of the $109  mil salary cap, you don't have much room to get better and then next year Simmons contract kicks in so those 4 contracts will match/exceed  the salary cap next year. It's just preventing them from getting better. 

I mean, you're right. They're in trouble. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Well, disclaimer, I really don't want us to make any major moves this offseason but if something did go down, I get the feeling that either Embiid and/or Simmons would be on the table. They may keep one but they will fire the coach and get rid of at least one of those guys. I doubt if we have the assets but I would see if we could get Simmons. A true point forward and could give this team a different dimension but his contract explodes next year and he's injured so is it worth it? I would take the chance. Does he immediately solve any problems such as shooting? No, but he's basically what people want Winslow and Anderson to be on offense and gives you a mismatch on the floor. I think Ja would find him for easy buckets and vice versa. 

Other than that, maybe Josh Richardson and that's a big maybe. He's on a reasonable contract but only has 1 guaranteed year left. Maybe Shake Milton as a scorer off of the bench? I don't see many players who give value with their contracts. Horford, Harris and Embiid have albatross type contracts and Ben Simmons contract is about to be one so it's not many options. 

 

Great let’s take Ben Simmons then we will have all three levels of playmakers that need to ball to be useful and they still won’t have anyone to pass the ball to that can shoot😩😩 I think we need to start putting pieces around the building blocks we have not keep adding building blocks.... Shake Milton and Josh Richardson sound like targets if the Grizz wanted to get involved with philly honestly it would be annoying to get them cause we should have drafted both of them in their respective drafts but that’s in the past now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now