Grizzled Vet

Your 2020 offseason moves predictions. Free agents & deals

4 hours ago, King Dork said:

Agree with everything you said except him guarding 1-4. Justice is only 6’5” in shoes,  He ain’t guarding no 4’s. 

I'd say he's at least 6-7 in shoes, he's listed as 6-6 without shoes (and you'll remember the NBA required all teams to list their players actual heights without shoes starting this year). Plus he's pretty strong for his size. He actually started a game at C for the Heat once. Obviously that was because of injuries, but still. He can certainly guard 4s.

51 minutes ago, dy_dy_dynomite said:

Realistically we will look at Valentine/ Stanley Johnson/ Glen Robinson III/ Derrick Jones Jr

I'd throw Alec Burks into that mix. He'd be a solid bench piece for us, though I'm sure Philly is going to try and sign him again. 

3 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

Conley needing playmakers and shooting so now we’re Grizz next gen we finally get the playmakers in abundance but still neglect the shooting you say Ja doesn’t need 4 JJ reddicks but it would be nice to know when Ja passes the ball out there’s a pretty good chance the guy is going to shoot and make the shot. My thing with Justise is that we also have Kyle who isn’t as good but is really similar in what they do but what we don’t have is a scorer/shooter Just wish at some point that becomes a priority for this franchise 

Yep Ja doesn't need 4 JJ Reddicks.  I stand by that.  He just need 4 guys that are threats from deep.   Jae Crowder was a threat and he was no where near JJ Reddick.  Harden isn't surrounded by 4 JJ Reddicks either but they have tons of floor spacing. 

When Ja passes the ball out to Jaren Grayson and Tolliver there IS a pretty good chance it is going in.   Kyle cannot replicate what Justise brings because he gets ZERO respect from defenders as a scorer or shooter.   Justise isn't shunned as a shooter like Kyle is.  He will be able to be a threat.   Plus he is a superior athlete, scorer, and defender they are probably equal as playmakers.  I will be surprised if kyle isn't dealt before his contract is up.  

I am not under the impression getting shooters isn't a priority for the franchise.   They did get Grayson in Conley deal and gambled on Marko.  Sometimes it pans out (Grayson) and sometimes it doesn't (Marko).   

Now if i remember this past trade deadline how many teams where willing to give us this fabled shooter/scorer for iggy and Jae Crowder?   Malik was only dude and he dealt in a 4 team trade.   Who else was available for what we wanted to give up?  It is important to always include the situation when discussing trades.   Also remember Dillon was coming off scorching hot previous months so they scorer role seemed like it was being filled.   

Technically didn't they pick up another shooter in Tolliver too?  So it isn't like FO isn't attempting to address the needs.   Its just that 3 level scorers and Shooters are in high demand and most teams aint giving them up unless they are damaged goods.   Take all that info into context then re-review your opinion on Justise deal and his potential fit. 

11 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

Problem is they both have 2 years left on their deals so they will both be up for trade considerations at the same time you keep talking about a second playmaker as if Ja is some super scorer off the ball which he’s not.. and I don’t think it matters that Justise can guard the elite SF right now cause the team isn’t competing for championships right now and without the much more needed floor spacing we will still be a piece behind. I think adding the pieces to help Ja’s game would have been a smarter idea I don’t see how Justise helps much since he won’t dominate the ball here. Maybe if one of our Pgs were more scoring focused it would make sense but the way I’m seeing it Justise real selling point is his defensive versatility which is cool if it was the final piece to the puzzle but we still have the big hole when it comes to consistent scoring and shooting.

The biggest issue with Winslow is his health. I don't doubt for a second that he's effective, just not available. He fits Jenkins system much more than Kyle does. Now if Kyle can get his 3pt volume and consistency up,this is a different conversation. He immediately becomes much more valuable to the team. 

12 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

I'd throw Alec Burks into that mix. He'd be a solid bench piece for us, though I'm sure Philly is going to try and sign him again. 

Burks is a little older with an injury history from that small list I would go after GR3 I think he’s the best fit 

26 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

Burks is a little older with an injury history from that small list I would go after GR3 I think he’s the best fit 

GR3 is interesting.  i haven't really watched him is he in the Ennis mold?  Basically a guy that can get rotation minutes but minimum impact. 

28 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

GR3 is interesting.  i haven't really watched him is he in the Ennis mold?  Basically a guy that can get rotation minutes but minimum impact. 

Seems to be a better shooter than Ennis not much of a defender but has the size n athleticism to be passable... he’s the only one in that list that can shoot n possibly defended 

46 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

Seems to be a better shooter than Ennis not much of a defender but has the size n athleticism to be passable... he’s the only one in that list that can shoot n possibly defended 

Hmm if thats the case prob rather look for younger guy in draft or undrafted.  Don't think we are at the point were we need to add low talent vets.    Rather whatever PT TJ is tempted to give him to a rookie. 

1 hour ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Should trade jjj for D Mitch

Jazz ain't trading Donovan Mitchell.

Ironically, during the 2018 draft season (or just after) my top guard archetype to draft going forward would be someone like Donovan Mitchell.  With Zion Williamson (predicted to be a PERFECT tag team partner with Luka Doncic) and James Wiseman (predicted poor man's Mitchell Robinson) being the two best potential draft picks on the horizon.

Ja is enough like D Mitch.  Maybe a less dominant/better shooting Superstar Option 1a.

That's IF you slot Jaren Jackson, Jr. into the IDEAL Option 3 role like a title--winning Chris Bosh or Team Luka's Kristaps Porzingis.  

Ideally, the Mavs get a guy like D Mitch/Morant.  Ideally, we get a guy like Luka Doncic.  Unfortunately, those guys don't grow on trees.  Especially in THIS draft.

We have our Bosh/KP aka Video Game Robert Horry in Jaren Jackson, Jr.  Maybe we also need a Mitch Rob/Wiseman type.  Those guys don't grow on trees EITHER.

“I’m proud of Josh. I sat down with him one-on-one at the outset of the season and laid down a plan without much daylight as steps we wanted to see him take on the court and off the court. Josh followed through on that. I’m pleased with what we saw there."

“As it pertains to De’Anthony, I think what he was able to do on the court and what we were able to do with him speaks for itself. De’Anthony has been a great fit on the court and off the court with the guys. We pride ourselves on guys who play winning basketball and impact basketball games. We definitely saw a lot of that from De’Anthony this season.”

Zach Kleilman on Josh and De'Anthony. 

34 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

“I’m proud of Josh. I sat down with him one-on-one at the outset of the season and laid down a plan without much daylight as steps we wanted to see him take on the court and off the court. Josh followed through on that. I’m pleased with what we saw there."

“As it pertains to De’Anthony, I think what he was able to do on the court and what we were able to do with him speaks for itself. De’Anthony has been a great fit on the court and off the court with the guys. We pride ourselves on guys who play winning basketball and impact basketball games. We definitely saw a lot of that from De’Anthony this season.”

So sounds like Melton is coming back?

1 hour ago, Rdk4121 said:

We are for sure keeping Melton 

25 minutes ago, grizzgolf said:

We are for sure keeping Melton 

1 hour ago, toocoolkellz said:

So sounds like Melton is coming back?

Sounds like it for sure, obviously outside of a crazy offer. 

On 8/18/2020 at 2:48 PM, toocoolkellz said:

It wasn't the best move but probably one of the best moves we could make. We were backed into a corner and tried to make the best out of what we had. I was hoping for another young talent or draft pick in that trade. The entire Iggy situation put us in a bad place power wise and they held all the chips. 

We didn't have to make a move at all.

On 8/18/2020 at 5:41 PM, GrizzTigerFan said:

So whats wrong with getting a piece of the puzzle?  Plenty of ball dominant guys successfully co-existing as we speak.  I am not prepared to say what Ja is or isn't when it comes to scoring cuz dude has legit SuperStar ceiling.   Jaren also has real potential as a scorer too.

I think you are underselling the value of a secondary playmaker is.   Mike Conley was begging for one for years and all the high level teams have them.   ( PG + Kawhi,  VanFleet + Lowry, Harden + Westbrook, Jimmy + Bam, Kemba + Hayward...).    Ja has serious potential as a scorer and finisher - that's why TJ was playing dual PG lineups with Tyus.     Imagine doing that without giving up size or defense.      Heck we need a guy that can guard elite SF's in order to just be able to compete, period.   The West is only getting more brutal.  

Justise doesn't hurt floor spacing - you are confusing him with Kyle and Melton.   No reason why we can't add shooters in the draft.   You don't get Justise level of talent outside of the lottery or premium price.   That is just reality.   Like  i said i have no issue with crapping on his injury history but his fit and skillset are needed.     

Really?  He's a floor spacer now?  His 3-pt% was over 30% only two of his five seasons in the league.  I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

8 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

What was your suggestion for iggy?

Tell him to report, suit up and play, or start getting fined, and I would have done it the day. he deliberately sabotaged his trade value with his remarks about who he was going to play for.  Then if he balked at that I would hold a press conference and explain the situation.  I'm tired of seeing spoiled babies getting coddled while refusing to uphold his end of a legal contract, which he signed of his own free will, paying him an astronomical sum over what your average American makes.  

17 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

The biggest issue with Winslow is his health. I don't doubt for a second that he's effective, just not available. He fits Jenkins system much more than Kyle does. Now if Kyle can get his 3pt volume and consistency up,this is a different conversation. He immediately becomes much more valuable to the team. 

He did. He was shooting over 60% through the bubble at one point. I know that went down but he was still shooting close to 40% from three I think. (Not gonna look it up lol)

On 8/18/2020 at 4:17 PM, GrizzTigerFan said:

Justise legit ran PG for MIA before his injury and put the clamps on Ja. 

This comment is hilarious to me.  Nice job holding a rookie PG, in his very first NBA game, to 50% shooting, 14/4/4/1/1 in only 25 minutes.  Good thing Ja didn't play 30 or 35 minutes or he might've had to hold him to 20 or 25 points.:lol:

6 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

This comment is hilarious to me.  Nice job holding a rookie PG, in his very first NBA game, to 50% shooting, 14/4/4/1/1 in only 25 minutes.  Good thing Ja didn't play 30 or 35 minutes or he might've had to hold him to 20 or 25 points.:lol:

Yeah Winslow held Ja below his normal 35/8 Zombie Stat Line!

I think Winslow scored a bunch though. 

Maybe we should have traded Iggy for 2 second round picks, a trade exception and a sandwich.

47 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Tell him to report, suit up and play, or start getting fined, and I would have done it the day. he deliberately sabotaged his trade value with his remarks about who he was going to play for.  Then if he balked at that I would hold a press conference and explain the situation.  I'm tired of seeing spoiled babies getting coddled while refusing to uphold his end of a legal contract, which he signed of his own free will, paying him an astronomical sum over what your average American makes.  

I mean at first I thought so too, but I'd rather have peg leg than to hold on to that potential disaster. I have made my piece with it. Just imagine if Winslow didn't go down and we're up on Lakers,  then it looks like a guiness move.