Grizzled Vet

Your 2020 offseason moves predictions. Free agents & deals

16 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Marc has played professionally since he was 18. Just not in the NBA.

I’m saying 13 years is a lot of wear and tear despite only being 32

15 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Starting to be a little concerned about Jenkins coaching abilities. Playing too many people and slow to make adjustments were big problems for him this season. 

All these Popovich guys like Budenholzer, Atkinson, Q Snyder have this issue. Might just be a bad thing from the Pop tree

I was wondering this too while watching Bud coach last night.

Not much to the offensive "sets" being run out there. It seems the system is purely dependent on having shooters who hit consistently. The Bucks only have a few of these guys and we have even less.

17 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Starting to be a little concerned about Jenkins coaching abilities. Playing too many people and slow to make adjustments were big problems for him this season. 

All these Popovich guys like Budenholzer, Atkinson, Q Snyder have this issue. Might just be a bad thing from the Pop tree

I think the Bucks are too dependent on Giannis playing hero ball, dont have true pg or creator on offense but their coach never makes adjustments either....  

I think Coach Jenkins kept the offense simple in year 1 and expect him to add more wrinkles in year two...  

20 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Too early to say but definitely something to watch. We knew when the season started that the new coaches didn't have time to work out any kind of offensive system with the team, so it's hard to judge. This will not be acceptable next season.

As for playing too many people I think it's kind of a side effect of having lots of young players under evaluation. It's not as if we had a set rotation even coming to the bubble. I would expect this to continue next season, especially if we end up tanking.

I'm more concerned about the lack of adjustments / refusal to issue challenges. He's a rookie coach and all that, but you would expect at least some progress through the season. We'll see.

53 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Too early to say but definitely something to watch. We knew when the season started that the new coaches didn't have time to work out any kind of offensive system with the team, so it's hard to judge. This will not be acceptable next season.

As for playing too many people I think it's kind of a side effect of having lots of young players under evaluation. It's not as if we had a set rotation even coming to the bubble. I would expect this to continue next season, especially if we end up tanking.

I'm more concerned about the lack of adjustments / refusal to issue challenges. He's a rookie coach and all that, but you would expect at least some progress through the season. We'll see.

Are they allowed to get outside influence (ie, someone upstairs watching instant replays) when deciding on a challenge like football coaches do? 

2 hours ago, Dwash said:

Are they allowed to get outside influence (ie, someone upstairs watching instant replays) when deciding on a challenge like football coaches do? 

Well I know Brevin most certainly told Jenkins to challenge a play once. 

I was already not the biggest Taylor Jenkins fan to begin with

But after watching his basketball dad Budenholzer stink it up in the playoffs once again, I'm even less of a fan

Same problem Milwaukee has will be the same problem this team has in the future

21 minutes ago, Holidayinn21 said:

But after watching his basketball dad Budenholzer stink it up in the playoffs once again, I'm even less of a fan

Well, if we can have the best record in the league, I'd take that. Different set of players too. Not saying Giannis and Middleton are soft but I don't think they can elevate their games during adversity, I think Ja can. 

4 hours ago, Holidayinn21 said:

4 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Well, if we can have the best record in the league, I'd take that. Different set of players too. Not saying Giannis and Middleton are soft but I don't think they can elevate their games during adversity, I think Ja can. 

“Pop” Culture

Popovich has won five titles with the San Antonio Spurs and had a playoff streak lasting over 20 years broken this season. The Spurs’ stretch of high-level success across so many season is nearly unprecedented.

He’s arguably the greatest coach in the history of the sport, worthy of mention alongside Red Auerbach and Phil Jackson.

Also, surprisingly, Popovich really doesn’t make adjustments in the playoffs the way his reputation proceeds. Popovich put it plainly several years ago:

“I think overall, over a whole series, the number of adjustments, or the magnitude of adjustments, is definitely overrated,” said Popovich.

“I think there are certainly tweaks that are made. And then there might be, you know, one or two adjustments that are made — a personnel change or a defensive change — that kind of thing that helps win a game here or there. But for the most part, I think it’s probably exaggerated.”

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nba/nba-playoffs-bucks-vs-heat-mike-budenholzer-coaching-adjustments-2020

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/9/4/21422788/bucks-heat-giannis-antetokounmpo-mike-budenholzer