Grizzled Vet

Your 2020 offseason moves predictions. Free agents & deals

2 hours ago, The J Crew said:

The Pacers would hang up the phone immediately if we tried to offer Dieng, Grayson and a protected first for Victor Oladipo.

How do we know this? Because is we had a two-time All Star, former 1st team All Defense who just two seasons ago averaged 23, 5, & 4 while leading the league in steals pg at 2.4, and someone called us offering a $17M, 31 year old back-up center, a soon to be 25 year old undersized shooting guard who had started exactly 2 games in his career, and a late 1st round pick, we would hang up the phone on them. You can find Diengs and Graysons almost any time, they have negative trade value or extremely limited trade value.

I mean, we're all Grizz fans, but let's try to be realistic when we offer trade scenarios. 

This isn't 2 years ago, and he's had a serious ruptured quad since then and is clearly not the same player. Not only that, but he also only has one year on his contract and is unrestricted after that. If all of that wasn't enough, he's allegedly made it known he will leave Indy after this year. 

Also, how is Grayson undersized? He's literally the average size of a SG, shot over 40% on 3s this year, and also is still on his cheap rookie deal (so whatever team he's on can realistically re-sign him). That's not negative trade value under any circumstance. Dieng is literally filler and is expiring so who cares. 

And to answer the question if I'd take that package for a disgruntled star that's going to leave in free agency anyway, I'd say yes, assuming we didn't get a better offer. I'd say you're being a little unrealistic/ living in the past. He's just not the same player he was 2 years ago, and there's at least a decent chance he never gets back to that level. We're not trading for Oladipo from 2 years ago with 3 years left on his deal. 

1 hour ago, Rdk4121 said:

This isn't 2 years ago, and he's had a serious ruptured quad since then and is clearly not the same player. Not only that, but he also only has one year on his contract and is unrestricted after that. If all of that wasn't enough, he's allegedly made it known he will leave Indy after this year. 

Also, how is Grayson undersized? He's literally the average size of a SG, shot over 40% on 3s this year, and also is still on his cheap rookie deal (so whatever team he's on can realistically re-sign him). That's not negative trade value under any circumstance. Dieng is literally filler and is expiring so who cares. 

And to answer the question if I'd take that package for a disgruntled star that's going to leave in free agency anyway, I'd say yes, assuming we didn't get a better offer. I'd say you're being a little unrealistic/ living in the past. He's just not the same player he was 2 years ago, and there's at least a decent chance he never gets back to that level. We're not trading for Oladipo from 2 years ago with 3 years left on his deal. 

Grayson measured 6'3" at the NBA combine, that is not the average size of a SG in today's NBA. And you know I've said Dieng is deeply negative trade value, not Grayson. Your IDEA that a player on an expiring contract can't have negative value is well, let's just say quite interesting.  

I'm trying to be nice. You and I were both warned two weeks ago, and I was told to attack the post and not the poster. So I capitalized 'idea'. Just like I found the IDEA that you had that Memphis would give Jontay Porter, a player coming off two ACL tears and surgeries, who went undrafted, didn't even start in college, and literally has not played a second in the NBA a 4 year contract during training camp quite interesting as well.

So I think it's fair to deduce that you value Grizz players much higher than the league does.  No way Indy even considers Dieng, Grayson and a late first for Dipo. Again, whoever trades for Dipo has his Bird Rights, which immediately makes them the front-runner to re-sign him. 

Don't think the Grizz should go after free agent wings over 28 who have injury concerns...  This team needs younger players the coaches can develop that are on Jaren and Ja's timeline who have a high talent and skill level ceiling...

Hearing that the Suns are going all in after Fred Van Fleet and are planning to cut costs by trading Kelly Oubre, who turns 25 in December... Kelly Oubre would be a great fit with the Grizz as the replacement for Kyle aka SloMo.... 

Grayson measured 6'3" at the NBA combine, that is not the average size of a SG in today's NBA. And you know I've said Dieng is deeply negative trade value, not Grayson. Your IDEA that a player on an expiring contract can't have negative value is well, let's just say quite interesting.  

I'm trying to be nice. You and I were both warned two weeks ago, and I was told to attack the post and not the poster. So I capitalized 'idea'. Just like I found the IDEA that you had that Memphis would give Jontay Porter, a player coming off two ACL tears and surgeries, who went undrafted, didn't even start in college, and literally has not played a second in the NBA a 4 year contract during training camp quite interesting as well.

So I think it's fair to deduce that you value Grizz players much higher than the league does.  No way Indy even considers Dieng, Grayson and a late first for Dipo. Again, whoever trades for Dipo has his Bird Rights, which immediately makes them the front-runner to re-sign him. 

Honestly, you're still stuck on Jontay Porter. Apparently I'm rent free in there. It was a theoretical 2 year deal with 2 years of team options. Get over it.

Expiring contracts are expiring contracts. It's trade filler. Who cares? Most teams certainly don't. Like Brandon Knight and John Henson for Drummond, or Parsons for Plumlee and Hill. The illustrious Evan Turner for Kent Bazemore trade. Who cares? It's an expiring contract. Their value is that they don't eat up cap space for the following year.

Allen is listed at 6-4 without shoes (so 6-5ish with shoes) on our roster (which is now forced to use accurate measurements without shoes) which is the average height of a shooting guard. That height has also been trending down as of recently anyway. Also doesn't really matter, I'm not pretending he's some star, but he's at least a solid role player.

As for the Bird rights thing, that means almost nothing. He probably wants to play somewhere he can win. Raptors had Kawhi's Bird rights. Charlotte had Kemba's bird rights. Warriors had KD's bird rights. Sixers had Butler's bird rights. Celtics had Horford's bird rights (they lucked out). Bucks had Brogdon's bird rights. Should I go on? Point being is bird rights don't necessarily matter. They certainly can help, and maybe he just follows the money, but he's not super young anymore.  

If the Pacers get something back better than a first and a young role player for an post-injury, last year of contract player that everyone knows is leaving in free agency, I'll be shocked. If they do, then more power to them. Why would anyone offer them something of value if they know they could just sign him in the offseason? Tons of teams will have cap space by then. 

31 minutes ago, Grizzhype said:

Don't think the Grizz should go after free agent wings over 28 who have injury concerns...  This team needs younger players the coaches can develop that are on Jaren and Ja's timeline who have a high talent and skill level ceiling...

Hearing that the Suns are going all in after Fred Van Fleet and are planning to cut costs by trading Kelly Oubre, who turns 25 in December... Kelly Oubre would be a great fit with the Grizz as the replacement for Kyle aka SloMo.... 

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/kelly-oubre/

I really like Oubre and think he'd be a great fit for this team. This is where eating Waiters contract really hurts us. Without that we could just absorb his whole contract and be done with it. But alas.

There's a few ways we could go about this. Apparently they are looking to cut costs like you mentioned or just get a solid ball-handler to actually back up or a long-term replacement for Rubio. If they are looking to get a borderline start with their pick and Oubre, that pretty much puts us out of the running. 

We could swap Winslow or Oubre. Somewhat helps both teams. Better distributor for them, better offensive player for us. Doesn't really move the needle too much either way. 

Tyus Jones and either Marko and a future 2nd or Grayson for Oubre. Saves them almost 4 million and gives them a fully capable backup at PG. Maybe wishful thinking, but it's a fun idea. Ja/Dillon/Oubre/Jaren/JV with Melton/Grayson/Justise(backup PG now)/Brandon/Porter off the bench. That sounds super fun to me. 

Finally we could clear cap (Hello Atlanta) and acquire him with cap space to save them money. This one certainly involves sending some sort of pick(s) to Atlanta or Charlotte. Gets a little messier that way, but there was talks of them shopping their first. Maybe we can convince Atlanta to take the first and Dieng, we get Oubre, Suns get 14 million of cap space. That sounds a little too much like wishful thinking though. 

40 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

I really like Oubre and think he'd be a great fit for this team. This is where eating Waiters contract really hurts us. Without that we could just absorb his whole contract and be done with it. But alas.

There's a few ways we could go about this. Apparently they are looking to cut costs like you mentioned or just get a solid ball-handler to actually back up or a long-term replacement for Rubio. If they are looking to get a borderline start with their pick and Oubre, that pretty much puts us out of the running. 

We could swap Winslow or Oubre. Somewhat helps both teams. Better distributor for them, better offensive player for us. Doesn't really move the needle too much either way. 

Tyus Jones and either Marko and a future 2nd or Grayson for Oubre. Saves them almost 4 million and gives them a fully capable backup at PG. Maybe wishful thinking, but it's a fun idea. Ja/Dillon/Oubre/Jaren/JV with Melton/Grayson/Justise(backup PG now)/Brandon/Porter off the bench. That sounds super fun to me. 

Finally we could clear cap (Hello Atlanta) and acquire him with cap space to save them money. This one certainly involves sending some sort of pick(s) to Atlanta or Charlotte. Gets a little messier that way, but there was talks of them shopping their first. Maybe we can convince Atlanta to take the first and Dieng, we get Oubre, Suns get 14 million of cap space. That sounds a little too much like wishful thinking though. 

Yep, the Grizz need bigger wings with length that make an impact on both sides of the court....   

The Pelicans GM was quoted saying he wanted Brandon Ingram playing more 2 guard next season and may trade Lonzo ball to the Knicks...  

Grizz FO have to keep adding to the roster talent base and not settle for less talent and try to rest in the ultra-competitive West...

5 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Its another way and it involves less moving parts. He will be a free agent in 2021 so we can go after him in free agency. We will have plenty of cash and he's along the lines of level of player we should expect to sign anyways while the bigger markets go after the big fish. 

13 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Honestly, you're still stuck on Jontay Porter. Apparently I'm rent free in there. It was a theoretical 2 year deal with 2 years of team options. Get over it.

As for the Bird rights thing, that means almost nothing. He probably wants to play somewhere he can win. Charlotte had Kemba's bird rights. Warriors had KD's bird rights. Sixers had Butler's bird rights. Celtics had Horford's bird rights (they lucked out). Bucks had Brogdon's bird rights. Should I go on? Point being is bird rights don't necessarily matter. They certainly can help, and maybe he just follows the money, but he's not super young anymore.  

There's so much wrong here, I won't clog up things too much correcting everything. But you didn't start any idea of "theorietical" 2 year deals until you were forced to admit, again trying to be nice, let's say how totally unlikely it would be for Jontay to get a 4 year contract. 

And apparently literally every NBA blogger and writer doesn't know that Bird Rights mean nothing. Yes, Warriors had KD's rights, which is why they got DeAngelo Russell in a trade for KD and turned that into a 1st and Wiggins. And the Hornets had Kemba's Bird rights, which is why they got Terry Rozier and a 2nd for him. And the 76ers had Butler's Bird rights, which is why they got Josh Richardson from the Heat for him. And the Bucks had Brogdon's Bird rights, which is why they got a 1st rounder and two 2nd rounders from the Pacers for him. Should I go on?

It's very hard, almost impossible, to fit FA signings under the cap. Which is why there are so many sign-and-trades to facilitate trades when teams no longer want their FA or when the FA decides to find another team. So the incumbent team, the one with the player's Bird Rights, almost always gets compensated. This is like NBA CBA 101.  And why this article titled Sign-And-Trades May Dominate 2020 NBA Free Agency was written 3 months ago. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bryantoporek/2020/05/06/sign-and-trades-may-dominate-2020-nba-free-agency/#5a4b04914ed5

4 hours ago, The J Crew said:

There's so much wrong here, I won't clog up too much correctly everything. But you didn't start any idea of "theorietical" until you were forced to admit how, again trying to be nice, let's say totally unlikely that Jontay would get a 4 year contract. 

And apparently literally every NBA blogger and writer doesn't know that Bird Rights mean nothing. Yes, Warriors had KD's rights, which is why they got DeAngelo Russell in a trade for KD and turned that into a 1st and Wiggins. And the Hornets had Kemba's Bird rights, which is why they got Terry Rozier and a 2nd for him. And the 76ers had Butler's Bird rights, which is why they got Josh Richardson from the Heat for him. And the Bucks had Brogdon's Bird rights, which is why they got a 1st rounder and two 2nd rounders from the Pacers for him. Should I go on?

It's very hard, almost impossible, to fit FA signings under the cap. Which is why there are so many sign-and-trades to facilitate trades when teams no longer want their FA or when the FA decides to find another team. So the incumbent team, the one with the player's Bird Rights, almost always gets compensated. This is like NBA CBA 101.  And why this article titled Sign-And-Trades May Dominate 2020 NBA Free Agency was written 3 months ago.  https://www.forbes.com/sites/bryantoporek/2020/05/06/sign-and-trades-may-dominate-2020-nba-free-agency/#5a4b04914ed5

Your point was we were going to keep him with his Bird Rights, that's wrong. If your point is we'd be able to get something from his Bird rights, I'd agree. That's not what you said though. You said, "Again, whoever trades for Dipo has his Bird Rights, which immediately makes them the front-runner to re-sign him"  which I don't agree with and you've now changed your position. Now you're saying the can get some value from the Bird rights, which is far different than re-signing him. Point being, you changed your argument immediately after you knew it didn't make sense. I agree they can get compensated for the player. 

Also my original point with Jontay unedited was

"So I imagine he's going to be waived and re-signed to a minimum 4 year contract, pretty much a relatively standard 2 round pick contract. I'm sure some team options will exist in that."

I clearly didn't go into depth on team options, but I clearly stated it had team options. Also you quoted theoretical as "theorietical" . I didn't say that, do you not know how to spell theoretical or did you just misread what I put? 

8 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

Its another way and it involves less moving parts. He will be a free agent in 2021 so we can go after him in free agency. We will have plenty of cash and he's along the lines of level of player we should expect to sign anyways while the bigger markets go after the big fish. 

You're right, mainly just a way to get him this season without giving up much. They don't have much leverage given his contract situation just like Oladipo, though he hasn't said he's going to leave in free agency after next year like Dipo allegedly has. 

A small deal that I would like to see that I'm sure most people on this board wouldn't care for is for us to acquire Gordon Hayward. He's in the last year of his deal and he's played in 80% of the games that he could play in since returning from injury. I don't know how much he is in BOS plans going forward but if they are looking for a backup swingman and backup big, we could offer Justise, Dieng and Marko and see if they bite. They'd probably waive Marko right away but Dieng and Marko are exprirings anyway and Justise has an option. This would upgrade our 3 spot without having much impact to the overall team (Winslow has never played for us anyway). I doubt if BOS bites but it could give them a younger better fit going forward once the trash contracts of Dieng and Marko fall off.

It could be a one year rental for us but at least upgrades that 3 position if only for one year  and shows us what could be done if we had a competent three.  Dangle it out there and see what happens, if they balk, they balk, just move on. It's a low risk move while upgrading a position that we need to desperately upgrade. Even if Hayward comes up lame, it's only one 1 year but as I said, he has played in 80% of games the past 2 years compared to WInslow's roughly 50% so even if he doesn't play, I don't think it would hurt us much. 

1 minute ago, Rdk4121 said:

Your point was we were going to keep with his Bird Rights, that's wrong. If your point is we'd be able to get something from his Bird rights, I'd agree. That's not what you said though. You said, "Again, whoever trades for Dipo has his Bird Rights, which immediately makes them the front-runner to re-sign him"  which I don't agree with and you've now changed your position. Now you're saying the can get some value from the Bird rights, which is far different than re-signing him. 

Dude, quit when you are losing. You brought up these players leaving, so I pointed out that almost always teams with Bird Rights get compensated when good players leave. And that will be even more the case now that the salary cap is flat this year and maybe next. So, using small words, yes, the team that trades for Dipo is the front-runner to re-sign him since the incumbent team is the only one of the 30 teams that can exceed the cap to sign him, can offer 5 years vs. 4, can offer bigger annual increases . . .

And, if the player leaves, the team with his Bird Rights is likely to get compensated by the team that signs him. Clear? This isn't near as hard as you try to make it. 

Your Jontay Porter 4-year fantasy was absurd. Jontay's his goal is to make the team,  there is zero chance he gets a 4 year contract, so yeah, you need to drop that one too. 

2 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

A small deal that I would like to see that I'm sure most people on this board wouldn't care for is for us to acquire Gordon Hayward. He's in the last year of his deal and he's played in 80% of the games that he could play in since returning from injury. I don't know how much he is in BOS plans going forward but if they are looking for a backup swingman and backup big, we could offer Justise, Dieng and Marko and see if they bite. They'd probably waive Marko right away but Dieng and Marko are exprirings anyway and Justise has an option. This would upgrade our 3 spot without having much impact to the overall team (Winslow has never played for us anyway). I doubt if BOS bites but it could give them a younger better fit going forward once the trash contracts of Dieng and Marko fall off.

I would like to kick the tires on Hayward, but I just don't see how we can make it work after the Miami trade. $34.1M player option next season. We just gave up almost all of our flexibility by eating the Waiters $12.6M contract already next year. Would the Celtics even want our guys? If not, what's the point in them doing that trade?  Remember Ainge is hard to trade with, he has to win every trade, or he just stands still. 

Also it's a 3 for 1 (2-1 if they cut Marko) and the Celts have 3 1st rounders this year. So they will probably be looking to clear roster spots, not add. Plus side to the trade is the Celts have expressed interest in Justise in the past. 

Hayward has the Brad Stephens connection going back to Butler, so one would think the coach would want to retain Hayward. 

6 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Please someone make a block or ignore feature. 

Hey, there's something we agree on.

Like, as soon as anyone says Jontay Porter will get a 4-year contract before he plays a second in the NBA, the site immediately blocks it so no one has to waste time reading that nonsense, lol. 

14 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

You're right, mainly just a way to get him this season without giving up much. They don't have much leverage given his contract situation just like Oladipo, though he hasn't said he's going to leave in free agency after next year like Dipo allegedly has. 

It has been some rumblings about the suns wanting to move on, but imho no point in giving up anything for him, we'll have a lot of money in 2021 so we'll be able to grab someone 

59 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

It could be a one year rental for us but at least upgrades that 3 position if only for one year  and shows us what could be done if we had a competent three.  Dangle it out there and see what happens, if they balk, they balk, just move on. It's a low risk move while upgrading a position that we need to desperately upgrade. Even if Hayward comes up lame, it's only one 1 year but as I said, he has played in 80% of games the past 2 years compared to WInslow's roughly 50% so even if he doesn't play, I don't think it would hurt us much. 

I like Hayward but I don't see anyway he stays. 

I would like to kick the tires on Hayward, but I just don't see how we can make it work after the Miami trade. $34.1M player option next season. We just gave up almost all of our flexibility by eating the Waiters $12.6M contract already next year. Would the Celtics even want our guys? If not, what's the point in them doing that trade?  Remember Ainge is hard to trade with, he has to win every trade, or he just stands still. 

Also it's a 3 for 1 (2-1 if they cut Marko) and the Celts have 3 1st rounders this year. So they will probably be looking to clear roster spots, not add. Plus side to the trade is the Celts have expressed interest in Justise in the past. 

Hayward has the Brad Stephens connection going back to Butler, so one would think the coach would want to retain Hayward. 

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

I like Hayward but I don't see anyway he stays. 

Yep, just throwing it out there to see what people think. They could value Winslow as they would use him in a different role than we need him to fill here and if they feel Hayward will move on as the team is geared towards a Tatum-Brown future then who knows but yes, the probability of it happening is very very low. Just throwing it out there.  I would look at it as a 1 year rental that really doesn't financially change anything for us or BOS. 

3 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Yep, just throwing it out there to see what people think. They could value Winslow as they would use him in a different role than we need him to fill here and if they feel Hayward will move on as the team is geared towards a Tatum-Brown future then who knows but yes, the probability of it happening is very very low. Just throwing it out there.  I would look at it as a 1 year rental that really doesn't financially change anything for us or BOS. 

Maybe at the trade deadline? Celts would have to like Justise or DB or Kyle to add to Dieng. We would get Hayward's Bird Rights. 

3 hours ago, The J Crew said:

Dude, quit when you are losing. You brought up these players leaving, so I pointed out that almost always teams with Bird Rights get compensated when good players leave. And that will be even more the case now that the salary cap is flat this year and maybe next. So, using small words, yes, the team that trades for Dipo is the front-runner to re-sign him since the incumbent team is the only one of the 30 teams that can exceed the cap to sign him, can offer 5 years vs. 4, can offer bigger annual increases . . .

And, if the player leaves, the team with his Bird Rights is likely to get compensated by the team that signs him. Clear? This isn't near as hard as you try to make it. 

Your Jontay Porter 4-year fantasy was absurd. Jontay's his goal is to make the team,  there is zero chance he gets a 4 year contract, so yeah, you need to drop that one too. 

You're literally just trolling at this point on the Jontay point, and that shouldn't be tolerated. It is a 4 year deal, with the last two being team options or not guaranteed, however that works. It is completely childish to continue this conversation. I was alluding to him being essentially our second round pick last year, since we didn't have one. I said that it was a fairly standard contract for a second rounder (which it is for 30s to 40s), I never argued that undrafted players normally get those contracts. I think he has tons of potential and we should try to lock him up for cheap for a couple of years to develop him, but still allowing ourselves the opportunity to cut bait if he doesn't develop. Very similar to how Minny did with Naz Reid. You disagree, which is fine, but it doesn't give you the right to be mean

As for Dipo. I think we're just arguing semantics. You say that the team with Bird Rights is front runner, which is technically correct given what you laid out, but it is also much more complicated than that. Those Bird Rights mean nothing if a player wants to leave like Kawhi, LeBron, etc. I agree that the team can get compensated for those Bird Rights, but you didn't mention that in your first post. Again, there's no reason to be mean there, I didn't even disagree with you at all on that point. You didn't make that point though at first. 

i'd be surprised if they did anything but stand pat for 20-21.  sign melton for cheap but let him walk for anything > 9 mil/year, see what offers josh gets, cut marko, sign jon in place of marko, see what the rest of the young guys look like w/ everyone healthy, then look towards 2021 free agency.

23 hours ago, Grizzhype said:

He'd be a better fit to replace Justise "Chancun" Winslow, who can't even play.  At least Kyle could add something

5 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

He'd be a better fit to replace Justise "Chancun" Winslow, who can't even play.  At least Kyle could add something

Oubre is hurt too; the idea should be to add him to Winslow, Allen and maybe Dillon. SlowMo is the odd man out.

2 hours ago, Ja_Rules said:

Oubre is hurt too; the idea should be to add him to Winslow, Allen and maybe Dillon. SlowMo is the odd man out.

That would be a pretty good wing line up. If Kyle can continue to hit 3s at a decent clip,  his value immediately goes up

8 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

That would be a pretty good wing line up. If Kyle can continue to hit 3s at a decent clip,  his value immediately goes up

True. SlowMo with a jumper is a different player