Grizzled Vet

Your 2020 offseason moves predictions. Free agents & deals

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, JWill4L said:

I tried to read the thread after someone said something about trading Ja and Jaren for five lottery picks this draft. Then I stopped.

Guys, just stand pat. Like Fanboyslim said, we have the MLE, the BAE and the 40th pick on this draft. Considering we resign Melton (3.5M a year for 2 years would be more than fine), roster looks like this:

Ja/Tyus/Melton

Brooks/Allen/Guduric/Konchar (TW)

Winslow/Kyle

Jaren/Clarke/Porter

Jonas/Dieng

And that's it. Over. The end. Stop over complicating things.

We don't have the Bi-Annual Exception this year because we used it on Marko Guduric last year.

Melton will get a lot more than $3.5M per for 2 years.

And it's not over complicating. It's probing every opportunity to improve your team.  The chances of any 40th pick in this draft contributing next year are slim at best. So we have internal improvement, the MLE, and trades. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I've been saying stand pat ever since we made that trade. Once we made that trade, it was obvious to me that the FO didn't care about making the playoffs this year and were in it for the long term.There is absolutely no reason to make cap crippling moves this off-season so that you may fight for the 7th or 8th seed but it handicaps you getting better to move up even higher. I think many people wanna make trades just to make trades which is what I have seen time and time again on this board. 

That's pretty much what it is. There will always be a solid contributor like a Buddy Hield or a severely overpaid player like Tobias Harris available. Always.  Those are last resorts in the rebuild which you can do anytime. 

2021 is not about signing an All world free agent to save us. 2021 presents two opportunities that may never be available again. 2021 might be the last lottery pick that we get and it's a monster draft with wings galore. We should have all picks on deck ready to move up if possible.  Secondly, the free agent class is big and teams will also be looking to shed salary early July in the big free agent splash. Need to have cap available to do Iggy type deals. Once Ja/JJJ and others are locked into long term deals and producing like Allstars, these opportunities will never be available again.  And Hield/Harris types will always be available. That's why you wait. It's not that they are bad players or can't help at all.  They handicap the long term plan without huge gains for next year. 

Luckily, I'm about 99% sure that this FO will work like this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2020 at 9:18 AM, Grizzled Vet said:

 

This.  Dillon's ceiling is probably 10-12th best SG in the league. He's not there yet.

But there also isn't anyone on this roster that is there yet either.

Dillon playing within the flow of the offense is playable.

There is the hero ball problem: It's great when he's making them, but more often, it kills the offense when he's not.  But in watching these NBA playoffs, I swear every team has a guy on it that I'll watch and think, "Why did you shoot that contested 3 when there is still 17 seconds left in the shot clock?" For Dillon, it seems to happen more often.

But as of now, he is still a best option available. And I believe he also will not be one you have to worry about for working out in the off season and wanting to get better which is probably what will kill Josh Jackson's career.

Same with JV. Sure you wanna do better but man you have to get basically a Joel Embiid type with AD’s defense. So... outside of unicorns that don’t yet exist you stay with what you have.  

I would like to upgrade DB... but how?  Maybe someone like Joe Harris would be marginally better but you don’t mortgage the future on marginal improvements.  If we can draft over Dillon, cool, but for now he looks like a guy who just needs to add some more go-to moves (Harden stuff) and tweak his shot selection.  

Ideally we get an Option 1a in the draft.  Then Jaren aka our Kristaps Porzingis becomes our high level options with Dillon/JV/Clarke being options 4-6.  Instead of Dillon taking 15 shots per game (as he did this year) maybe he only takes 12 or 13.  So his attempts to down slightly but the quality of his looks goes UP.  Same with Jonas and Clarke — maybe fewer touches but higher quality looks.  Optimized shot selections.  

Oops. Almost forgot about Justise Winslow.  Guessing we start him at the 3 with Dillon at the 2, but those spots are switchable.  Winslow probably takes the bulk of the shots left over.  He took 11 or 12 shots per game in Miami when healthy-ish.  Maybe that’s a bit high.  So... 10 for him here unless he can shoot well from 3 and get to the line at a high rate.  Dillon/Winslow aren’t 3 point snipers so maybe they need to work on a James Harden-esque dribble/drive move set.   Outside of Ja/Jaren pick and pops (get JJJ open 3 point looks he can step into) and some Clarke rim runs I think I wanna mostly do dribble/drive and drive/kick stuff.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I've been saying stand pat ever since we made that trade. Once we made that trade, it was obvious to me that the FO didn't care about making the playoffs this year and were in it for the long term.There is absolutely no reason to make cap crippling moves this off-season so that you may fight for the 7th or 8th seed but it handicaps you getting better to move up even higher. I think many people wanna make trades just to make trades which is what I have seen time and time again on this board. 

Which is also why the boards established a Trade Forum so this forum didn't get clogged up with Fantasy Dream GMs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Which is also why the boards established a Trade Forum so this forum didn't get clogged up with Fantasy Dream GMs. 

There's a solid 20 or so of us on the board, we don't have enough people for multiple boards. That one hasn't been used this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

There's a solid 20 or so of us on the board, we don't have enough people for multiple boards. That one hasn't been used this year. 

There are more people during the season and when the team improves I expect even more posters. No one uses the trade forum becauSe they are lazy, not because there isn’t a need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

There are more people during the season and when the team improves I expect even more posters. No one uses the trade forum becauSe they are lazy, not because there isn’t a need.

i didnt even know we had a trade forum. Why are you such an az$ hole chip? No one enjoys your shtick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Crizzle said:

i didnt even know we had a trade forum. Why are you such an az$ hole chip? No one enjoys your shtick

I’m not trying to be rude. I can’t help it if you don’t know there are other sections of the board than just Grizz Talk. I didn’t move this thread to Trade Talk. I just stated the truth. 

I have been on this board for many years. The Trade Forum was established years ago when people started threads about trade ideas all the time. We used to have move threads almost daily to allow Grizz Talk to talk about the Grizzlies.

In case you are wondering there is also an NBA Talk section for discussing the NBA outside of the Grizzlies, an Off Topic section for non basketball issues and even a Spanish Forum for our international fans. You ought to look around and see what all has been created for posters to avail themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I’m not trying to be rude. I can’t help it if you don’t know there are other sections of the board than just Grizz Talk. I didn’t move this thread to Trade Talk. I just stated the truth. 

I have been on this board for many years. The Trade Forum was established years ago when people started threads about trade ideas all the time. We used to have move threads almost daily to allow Grizz Talk to talk about the Grizzlies.

In case you are wondering there is also an NBA Talk section for discussing the NBA outside of the Grizzlies, an Off Topic section for non basketball issues and even a Spanish Forum for our international fans. You ought to look around and see what all has been created for posters to avail themselves.

Well you know times change right? As of today no one is starting a bunch of trade ideas.  The ideas are being crammed into a couple of threads. Thats why some people can't understand what the big deal is. Where as you are still acting as if the whole front page is being clogged with trade idea threads like it used to be 

If this board still had a lot of posters and threads then using other forums would be obvious. There is no point of rotating through 3 boards to check 1 or 2 threads on each board.  That's just pointless and dumb. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dwash said:

That's pretty much what it is. There will always be a solid contributor like a Buddy Hield or a severely overpaid player like Tobias Harris available. Always.  Those are last resorts in the rebuild which you can do anytime. 

2021 is not about signing an All world free agent to save us. 2021 presents two opportunities that may never be available again. 2021 might be the last lottery pick that we get and it's a monster draft with wings galore. We should have all picks on deck ready to move up if possible.  Secondly, the free agent class is big and teams will also be looking to shed salary early July in the big free agent splash. Need to have cap available to do Iggy type deals. Once Ja/JJJ and others are locked into long term deals and producing like Allstars, these opportunities will never be available again.  And Hield/Harris types will always be available. That's why you wait. It's not that they are bad players or can't help at all.  They handicap the long term plan without huge gains for next year. 

Luckily, I'm about 99% sure that this FO will work like this. 

This is the only part of your post I disagree with....  If you take a look at the bubble breakouts and playoffs, we see alot of a guards and wings dominate with the high pick n roll...  

The Grizz wings:  Kyle Anderson, DeAnthony Melton, Marco Gudriddance, Dillon "All World" Brooks.. Really??  That's $22 + another 5-8 millon that'll be wasted this offseason on Melton..  

These 4 players are given roles and minutes that they would never get on another Nba team..  So to me their replacements should be acquired Asap...  The best way to do that is to get a first rd pick from Boston-3, Minnesota-2 or Milwaukee-$130 mil payroll and draft a wing like Josh Green, Elijah Hughes and Jordan Nwora at pick #40

The Grizz dont need to waste a year waiting for unproven, overhyped high school players....  Take a close look at Ja's resume and tell me these high school scouts know what they are talkin about...

Full list of Melton video clips...  Our big free agent signing: 

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=smart+highlights+De%27Anthony+Melton 

I picked the Utah game because Melton and Donovan have similar draft profiles.... 

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/deanthony-melton/

Except Melton couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat... https://www.nbadraft.net/players/donovan-mitchell

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crizzle said:

i didnt even know we had a trade forum. Why are you such an az$ hole chip? No one enjoys your shtick

I didn't know there was one either, but I didn't take it as rude either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

There are more people during the season and when the team improves I expect even more posters. No one uses the trade forum becauSe they are lazy, not because there isn’t a need.

No Disrespect Chip but it’s the offseason and fans on a message board have silly ideas. We all want the same thing for our Grizz to get better. But you gotta lighten up, I love the activity on the board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This offseason might get real interesting now if the players don't play in Orlando. Regarding this thread, the salary cap was already going to take a hit.  Plus teams were already not wanting to start without fans in the stands.

The league was already considering a new CBA after the Coronavirus pandemic. If they get $0 dollars and players end season, this could really push the CBA, draft, free agency, start of the season back to much, much later. 

I think that it is possible there is no 2020-21 season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

This offseason might get real interesting now if the players don't play in Orlando. Regarding this thread, the salary cap was already going to take a hit.  Plus teams were already not wanting to start without fans in the stands.

The league was already considering a new CBA after the Coronavirus pandemic. If they get $0 dollars and players end season, this could really push the CBA, draft, free agency, start of the season back to much, much later. 

I think that it is possible there is no 2020-21 season.

You might be right.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen rumblings of Victor might be available,  wouldn't hurt to kick the tires imho, and by that I mean listen to a trade not necessarily face dive into it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Dwash said:

Well you know times change right? As of today no one is starting a bunch of trade ideas.  The ideas are being crammed into a couple of threads. Thats why some people can't understand what the big deal is. Where as you are still acting as if the whole front page is being clogged with trade idea threads like it used to be 

If this board still had a lot of posters and threads then using other forums would be obvious. There is no point of rotating through 3 boards to check 1 or 2 threads on each board.  That's just pointless and dumb. 

Like I said, I haven’t moved it but apparently I did help one poster learn about these other locations where conversations are still being posted. Maybe he will not be so troubled to look over in the other forums to discuss those topics as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Like I said, I haven’t moved it but apparently I did help one poster learn about these other locations where conversations are still being posted. Maybe he will not be so troubled to look over in the other forums to discuss those topics as well.

he could post just about anything (without it being moved) in the nut thread.

 

slim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

I've seen rumblings of Victor might be available,  wouldn't hurt to kick the tires imho, and by that I mean listen to a trade not necessarily face dive into it

Definitely kick the tires, and I think Indy will look to move him.

But Dipo only has a year left on his contract. I think he and his agent do the AD, PG thing, i.e. I won't consider re-signing unless I'm traded to where I want to be traded. Dipo's former agent is Leon Rose, who is now President of the Knicks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Like I said, I haven’t moved it but apparently I did help one poster learn about these other locations where conversations are still being posted. Maybe he will not be so troubled to look over in the other forums to discuss those topics as well.

The last post in the trade forum was last December 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Allen said:

The last post in the trade forum was last December 

So? Does that mean we shouldn't let people know about that forum? NBA Talk is active. The Spanish Forum is active. Off Topic has had posts. All I have said from the beginning is that this isn't the proper forum. It's not. I haven't moved the thread or even suggested I would. 

The only defense people can come up with is that they are too lazy to post in the proper forum. That's fine. They are lazy. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

I didn't know there was one either, but I didn't take it as rude either. 

Calling people lazy is rude. 
 Chip takes this stuff very seriously for some reason 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now