Grizzled Vet

Your 2020 offseason moves predictions. Free agents & deals

i'm not impressed w/ dillon's 16 ppg given his style of play and the amount of usage/shots he takes (often well outside of the flow of offense) to get his.  just looking at his raw ppg w/o taking alot of other things in context is beyond shortsighted.  if grayson got the same usage/chucking freedom as dillon does, he'd put up 20+ ppg assuming his current season %'s stay the same.  an inefficient, high volume, low % scorer is what dillon currently is.  would be so much better as a 6th man.

18 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

There's a lot of guys on NBA benches who can score 16 ppg if you let them shoot 15 times/game. What Dillon does isn't magic, it's volume. Also, he doesn't get to the line.

exactly, the context of how he gets his 16 pgg and the efficiency in which he does so (or inefficiency in his case) is important.

5 minutes ago, grizz09 said:

exactly, the context of how he gets his 16 pgg and the efficiency in which he does so (or inefficiency in his case) is important.

But to paint hin as just an inefficient scorer is also shortsighted. The man has the toughest assignment night in and night out. James Harden is a dang superstar and his efficiency numbers aren't much better than Dillon's and the defense effort isn't even close. I'm not saying Dillon is comparable to Harden so don't go there, my point is his game and his value is based off more than just his offensive contributions 

39 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

There's a lot of guys on NBA benches who can score 16 ppg if you let them shoot 15 times/game. What Dillon does isn't magic, it's volume. Also, he doesn't get to the line.

Dillon not getting to the line is the killer that no one talks about.  Kills efficiency and also good defenders know he is going to go away from the contact.  With his physical limits he is never going to be faster or jump higher than opponents.  He needs to really focus on making shots with contact and crafter shots to become a good individual scorer. 

44 minutes ago, grizz09 said:

i'm not impressed w/ dillon's 16 ppg given his style of play and the amount of usage/shots he takes (often well outside of the flow of offense) to get his.  just looking at his raw ppg w/o taking alot of other things in context is beyond shortsighted.  if grayson got the same usage/chucking freedom as dillon does, he'd put up 20+ ppg assuming his current season %'s stay the same.  an inefficient, high volume, low % scorer is what dillon currently is.  would be so much better as a 6th man.

Ideally they find a SG that pushes Brooks to the bench. I don't know if they have that guy or could even get him this offseason tho.

3 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

I posted in the other thread. I wouldn't do it, but a universe exists where we could move Dieng, Slomo, and Justise for Harris + Thybulle + 1-2 future firsts. That would have to be the price because we'd basically lose all ability to make moves due to Harris contract. It honestly might not be enough from Philly to get deal done.  Philly is so screwed, they'll need to give stuff away to get out from under harris and horford.

I still believe Justise will pay off, dont loose the faith, the Duke guys will be major going forward.

I was thinking in a better deal for us, Dieng + SlowMo + Guduric + 40th for Hortford + Thybulle + 21st (Tyler Bey) + 34th and 36th. Then trade Jazz pick + 34th and 36th for Dallas 18th pick and draft RJ Hampton.

Ja/Tyus/RJ

Allen/Melton/Thybulle/Konchar*

Winslow/Dillon/Bey

Jaren/Clarke/Porter

JV/Hortford/2way*

32 minutes ago, Ja_Rules said:

I still believe Justise will pay off, dont loose the faith, the Duke guys will be major going forward.

I was thinking in a better deal for us, Dieng + SlowMo + Guduric + 40th for Hortford + Thybulle + 21st (Tyler Bey) + 34th and 36th. Then trade Jazz pick + 34th and 36th for Dallas 18th pick and draft RJ Hampton.

Ja/Tyus/RJ

Winslow/Dillon/Bey

Jaren/Clarke/Porter

JV/Hortford/2way*

It's reasonable if you can get it done.

4 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

not yet

1 hour ago, Ja_Rules said:

Ja/Tyus/RJ

Winslow/Dillon/Bey

Jaren/Clarke/Porter

JV/Hortford/2way*

Lol so we doing all that trading and taking all that salary back to keep the guys we already have on the roster as starters. Do Better 

9 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Man, this thread was painful.  Honestly, standing pat is a better idea than most of those I read.

If its not broken dont fix it type of deal. 

8 hours ago, Ja_Rules said:

Ja/Tyus/RJ

Winslow/Dillon/Bey

Jaren/Clarke/Porter

JV/Hortford/2way*

So we paying dude 30 mil to be backup centers now??

Bro what franchise y’all running and can I be y’all competition. Craziness 

10 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Man, this thread was painful.  Honestly, standing pat is a better idea than most of those I read.

Fortunately the FO has shown no inclination for this type of moves.

36 minutes ago, King Dork said:

So we paying dude 30 mil to be backup centers now??

Bro what franchise y’all running and can I be y’all competition. Craziness 

Sometimes you need to make tough decisions in order to keep a thread alive.

We don't have salary so we won't be taking on bad contract to acquire assets. They'll do all they can to bring back Melton at a reasonable deal, hopefully draft a contributor at 40 and hold tight 

Well, Brett Brown has been fired so you would think the Sixers would make moves but it sounds like they are committed to keeping Simmons and Embiid together which is probably a big mistake. 

21 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Well, Brett Brown has been fired so you would think the Sixers would make moves but it sounds like they are committed to keeping Simmons and Embiid together which is probably a big mistake. 

The problem is the only way for them to obtain assets (1st round picks mostly since they're waist deep in the tax) would be selling Embiid and/or Simmons, and that would still doom them to 2-3 seasons of a Harris-Horford led team while those assets turn into new star players in a best case scenario. That's a really tough sell after almost a decade of "process". So they've gone for the sunk cost fallacy and will stick to the current core even though in a year or two it will be the 4 big salaries and a collection of scrubs trying to eke their way into the playoffs. And then Embiid and/or Simmons demand a trade and it all goes tits up.

6e8df0be8c66c21050360d83dd1dea5a.jpg 

23 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

But to paint hin as just an inefficient scorer is also shortsighted. The man has the toughest assignment night in and night out. James Harden is a dang superstar and his efficiency numbers aren't much better than Dillon's and the defense effort isn't even close. I'm not saying Dillon is comparable to Harden so don't go there, my point is his game and his value is based off more than just his offensive contributions 

I love his effort and competitive spirit, his problem is between the ears on both sides of the ball.  takes dumb shots on offense and some over aggressiveness on defense that makes him the most foulingest player in the league.  for what he does/is, his contract is great and would be easy to move in a trade if it came to that.

18 minutes ago, grizz09 said:

I love his effort and competitive spirit, his problem is between the ears on both sides of the ball.  takes dumb shots on offense and some over aggressiveness on defense that makes him the most foulingest player in the league.  for what he does/is, his contract is great and would be easy to move in a trade if it came to that.

I agree, if the opportunity comes to upgrade we most definitely should take it

4 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Sixers should trade Embiid for an elite guard. Lilliard. Beal. Someone younger if possible.  A lineup of Horford, Simmons, Harris, Richardson/Milton, elite guard could win it all. 

I think Simmons and Embiid can work together, but Simmons isn't a PG (which Philly finally was learning), at least not in the traditional sense. He can run the offense at times, but his offense will continue to be a struggle in the half court as long as he isn't a triple threat. Right now he can pass or drive, he can't shoot though. He's a point forward, he can initiate the offense on the fast break and from the top of the key like Giannis or Draymond. He can't be like LeBron, or Kyrie, heck even Kyle Lowry, because his skill set doesn't allow for that. 

On 8/23/2020 at 7:54 PM, cdp said:

Ideally they find a SG that pushes Brooks to the bench. I don't know if they have that guy or could even get him this offseason tho.

This.  Dillon's ceiling is probably 10-12th best SG in the league. He's not there yet.

But there also isn't anyone on this roster that is there yet either.

Dillon playing within the flow of the offense is playable.

There is the hero ball problem: It's great when he's making them, but more often, it kills the offense when he's not.  But in watching these NBA playoffs, I swear every team has a guy on it that I'll watch and think, "Why did you shoot that contested 3 when there is still 17 seconds left in the shot clock?" For Dillon, it seems to happen more often.

But as of now, he is still a best option available. And I believe he also will not be one you have to worry about for working out in the off season and wanting to get better which is probably what will kill Josh Jackson's career.

I tried to read the thread after someone said something about trading Ja and Jaren for five lottery picks this draft. Then I stopped.

Guys, just stand pat. Like Fanboyslim said, we have the MLE, the BAE and the 40th pick on this draft. Considering we resign Melton (3.5M a year for 2 years would be more than fine), roster looks like this:

Ja/Tyus/Melton

Brooks/Allen/Guduric/Konchar (TW)

Winslow/Kyle

Jaren/Clarke/Porter

Jonas/Dieng

FA Small Forwards this year are horrible. If you want a minor splash, throw a 21/3 to Forbes. If you want a more mobile big-man rotation, check if Marc wants to come here on the minimum. You can pair him with Clarke off the bench so the latter can play closer to the paint (something he cannot do when paired with Jonas). Draft an SF with the 40th pick. Jordan Nwora, just to throw a name there.

And that's it. Over. The end. Stop over complicating things.

I say try to buy philly's first round and take a stab at either Josh green or Elijah Hughes,  take a stab at Jordan Nwora and think about bringing back Melton on a reasonable deal.  I know he's not breaking the bank, but the rumor is New York has some interest and they do crazy stuff routinely 

4 hours ago, JWill4L said:

I tried to read the thread after someone said something about trading Ja and Jaren for five lottery picks this draft. Then I stopped.

Guys, just stand pat. Like Fanboyslim said, we have the MLE, the BAE and the 40th pick on this draft. Considering we resign Melton (3.5M a year for 2 years would be more than fine), roster looks like this:

Ja/Tyus/Melton

Brooks/Allen/Guduric/Konchar (TW)

Winslow/Kyle

Jaren/Clarke/Porter

Jonas/Dieng

FA Small Forwards this year are horrible. If you want a minor splash, throw a 21/3 to Forbes. If you want a more mobile big-man rotation, check if Marc wants to come here on the minimum. You can pair him with Clarke off the bench so the latter can play closer to the paint (something he cannot do when paired with Jonas). Draft an SF with the 40th pick. Jordan Nwora, just to throw a name there.

And that's it. Over. The end. Stop over complicating things.

I've been saying stand pat ever since we made that trade. Once we made that trade, it was obvious to me that the FO didn't care about making the playoffs this year and were in it for the long term.There is absolutely no reason to make cap crippling moves this off-season so that you may fight for the 7th or 8th seed but it handicaps you getting better to move up even higher. I think many people wanna make trades just to make trades which is what I have seen time and time again on this board.