ACGrizz

Playoff Picture/Scenarios and Games to Watch (Updated for 8/10 AM)

I know there is a larger playoff thread, but I myself have been curious about all the combinations of records, so I created an Excel sheet that I will update every morning with the current scenarios. (Mods, if you think this makes sense to merge into the larger thread, no offense taken, just thought this could serve as a quick look for anyone interested and it might get lost in the shuffle in the other one).

Standings as of 8/7 AM:

Grizz are at 32-37. If they go...

0-4, to jump us, teams below us would have to go:

Portland - 1-3
Phoenix - 3-1
San Antonio - 3-1
Sacramento - 3-1
New Orleans - 3-1

1-3, to jump us, teams below us would have to go:

Portland - 2-2
Phoenix - 4-0 
San Antonio - 4-0
Sacramento - 4-0
New Orleans - 4-0

2-2, to jump us, teams below us would have to go:

Portland - 3-1
Phoenix would have same winning percentage as us if they go 4-0, but we won the season series, so we'd have the tiebreaker - therefore, no other team could catch us

3-1, to jump us, teams below us would have to go:

Portland - 4-0

Games remaining:

Memphis: Oklahoma City, Toronto, Boston, Milwaukee 
Portland: Los Angeles Clippers, Philadelphia, Dallas, Brooklyn 
Phoenix: Miami, Oklahoma City, Philadelphia, Dallas 
San Antonio: Utah, New Orleans, Houston, Utah 
Sacramento: Brooklyn, Houston, New Orleans, Los Angeles Lakers 
Pelicans: Washington, San Antonio, Sacramento, Orlando

Key Games Today: 

Spurs vs. Jazz (Jazz are resting pretty much everyone - expect an easy Spurs win)
Grizzlies vs. Thunder (Schroder is out for the Thunder, but they've looked very good in the bubble)
Kings vs. Nets (Expecting an easy win for Kings here; Nets shocked the Bucks but don't see them doing it again here)
Pelicans vs. Wizards (The Wizards are hot garbage. It's a must-win for the Pelicans. You do the math).
Celtics vs. Raptors (While neither of these teams are in the Western Conference, the outcome of the game will affect us: right now the Celtics could catch the Raptors if the Celtics win all their games and the Raptors lose all their games. If the Raptors win today though, they clinch the 2nd seed and are more likely to rest some players or limit their minutes when they play against us on Sunday)

I don't want to read all this, just tell me what is most likely going to happen: We win one or two remaining games (due to team's resting players). Portland wins 3 games. Portland jumps us for the 8th seed, we end up at the 9th seed and lose the first game.

2 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

I don't want to read all this, just tell me what is most likely going to happen: We win one or two remaining games (due to team's resting players). Portland wins 3 games. Portland jumps us for the 8th seed, we end up at the 9th seed and lose the first game.

I agree with your likely outcome. But how great would it be to come back from the injuries and make the playoffs in Ja's rookie year?  And start another 7-year playoff streak run?

Blazers will make it and if Lillard stays ok, they might have a chance. I wish the bubble looked totally different for us, it would be a great experience for Ja and Jaren.

Standings as of 8/8 AM:

Grizz are at 33-37 after yesterday's win. Sacramento can no longer pass us after losing yesterday. If the Grizzlies go...

0-3, to jump us, teams below us would have to go:

Portland - 2-2
Phoenix - 4-0
San Antonio - 3-0
New Orleans - 3-0 (note that it is impossible for both San Antonio AND New Orleans to pass us both, as they have to play each other next game)

1-2, to jump us, teams below us would have to go:

Portland - 3-1

2-1, to jump us, teams below us would have to go:

Portland - 4-0

3-0, then we get the 8th seed regardless of what happens with the other teams.

Games remaining:

Memphis: Toronto, Boston, Milwaukee 
Portland: Los Angeles Clippers, Philadelphia, Dallas, Brooklyn 
Phoenix: Miami, Oklahoma City, Philadelphia, Dallas 
San Antonio: New Orleans, Houston, Utah 
Sacramento: Houston, New Orleans, Los Angeles Lakers 
Pelicans: San Antonio, Sacramento, Orlando

Key Games Today: 

Portland vs. LA Clippers: Beverley and Harrell will still be out, but there's no indication that any other Clippers player will be resting and both Kawhi and Paul George have been playing full minutes in their past two games. This is Portland's hardest game left on their schedule and is on national TV (TNT). A must-watch.

Phoenix vs. Miami: Can Phoenix keep running the gauntlet? If they lose, we don't have to worry about them jumping us anymore. 

I don't want to read all this, just tell me what is most likely going to happen: Winning against the Thunder boosted our chances, but unless our remaining trio of Eastern powerhouses rests some players in our next 3 games, Portland will still leap us for the 8th seed. Outlook is still the same - Portland gets 8th, we get 9th, eliminated in first of the play-in games. Watch out for the Pelicans though, as they could win their remaining games and knock us out entirely if we don't grab at least one win.

7 hours ago, Ja_Rules said:

Blazers will make it and if Lillard stays ok, they might have a chance. I wish the bubble looked totally different for us, it would be a great experience for Ja and Jaren.

I dunno. Wouldn’t count us out.  We looked good A-OK against OKC.  The winner of the 8/9 play in might give the Lakers a run for their money.  

Celtics/Raptors playing now.  Boston up in the third.  Don’t know the rest of their schedules but I don’t see a ton left to play for for either team.  And Bucks have their seeding basically locked up.  

P.S. the Pelicans WON??? How did THAT happen?  Yikes!!!

7 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Celtics/Raptors playing now.  Boston up in the third.  Don’t know the rest of their schedules but I don’t see a ton left to play for for either team.  And Bucks have their seeding basically locked up.  

P.S. the Pelicans WON??? How did THAT happen?  Yikes!!!

Celtics could get the 2nd seed if they win all their games and Raptors lose all their games (long shot, but still technically possible). A Celtics win tonight (which is looking very likely at this point) means the Raptors can clinch the 2nd seed if they beat us in their next game...meaning it's unlikely they rest anyone against us, unfortunately.

And Pelicans were playing the Wizards who haven't won a single game in the bubble. And they STILL managed to not look great, trailing going into halftime.

Kawhi load managing wow. 

Gonna be a play in between us and the Blazers. Only question is if we will need one or two wins. Right now I'm betting on two. 

4 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Blazers are for real. Up 4 with 4 minutes left. Go Clippers!

And Doc pulls Paul George with 5 minutes left in a then 1 point game for the great Terrance Mann. So frustrating. 

1 hour ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Teams are tanking for the blazers so that the Lakers have a tougher 1st round series, my conspiracy theory

Clippers could be for sure. 

3 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Clippers could be for sure. 

Everybody is saying that. But if Clips lose, they are only one game ahead of Denver. Don't the Clips need to clinch the 2 seed before they start playing head games with the Lakers?

JaMyke with the free throws and rebound makes it feel better. Not used to rooting for the Clippers.

Just now, The J Crew said:

Are we seeing this? Look at that Clips lineup beating the Blazers! Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep.  Great job Clips!  Jam Green was in that lineup that got it done to close things out.

5 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Everybody is saying that. But if Clips lose, they are only one game ahead of Denver. Don't the Clips need to clinch the 2 seed before they start playing head games with the Lakers?

Everybody is in the same arena who cares about HC?