ALT GRIND

On The Road To Nowhere In 2020: Fear And Loathing In Bubble World

Recommended Posts

On The Road To Nowhere In 2020: Fear And Loathing In Bubble World

 

Well we blew the first 3. Now we are down Jaren.  Our team is roughed up.  Can we get a win today?  If not, where do we go from Nowhere?

In some other threads we are contemplating the draft.  OR, trade targets.  Potential free agent signings too.

Why not throw the kitchen sink at our brave new existential crisis???

I will have you know that I won back to back fantasy basketball titles.

I will have you know that I won the 2021-2022 NBA championship on NBA 2K with a roster of Greek Freak, AD, Mitch Rob, Deni Avdija, LaMelo Ball, Bol Bol, Duncan Robinson, Tyrell Terry, Slo Mo, Tacko Fall, Ibou Dianko Badji, Killian Tillie, Casius Stanley, Paul Millsap, and Moses Moody.

Cant' wait to run that team back and go for a Video Game Beast Mode Dynasty.

Now, back to reality.  Screw it. Trade EVERYBODY.

Starters: LaMelo Ball, Devin Vassell, Deni Avdija, Aleksej Pokusevski, James Wiseman

Bench: Markus Howard, Sam Merrill, Cassius Stanley, Yves Pons, Freddie Gillespie

Reserves: De'Anthony Melton, Yuta Watanabe, Jontay Porter, Jr., Generic Veteran Locker Room Guy 1, Generic Veteran Locker Room Guy 1a

2 Way Contracts: Jon Konchar, Jack White

 

 

 

 

ALT GRIND

The golden age of the ABA is truly upon us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Withdraw from the bubble while we still can. Save whatever tiny shred of dignity might remain.

We can’t even compete in the glorified summer league. What an absolute disgrace. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GTG said:

Withdraw from the bubble while we still can. Save whatever tiny shred of dignity might remain.

We can’t even compete in the glorified summer league. What an absolute disgrace. 

Yeah, and we are losing to a team, Utah Jazz, that looks like it has been in Full Meh mode in the Bubble.

 

#Fear

#Loathing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ALT GRIND said:

Yeah, and we are losing to a team, Utah Jazz, that looks like it has been in Full Meh mode in the Bubble.

 

#Fear

#Loathing

It’s just terrible. We literally look like a G league team that showed up by mistake. These guys get paid millions of dollars to play like this? Yikes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GTG said:

It’s just terrible. We literally look like a G league team that showed up by mistake. These guys get paid millions of dollars to play like this? Yikes.

^^^

This game has groovy jerseys though.

Oh, Yves Pons is my back up "Feal/Loathing Blow-It-All-Up" backup power forward option but it looks like he is headed back to college.  So replace him with "That's Alright" Mamadi Diakite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 years of crap from this franchise. What a waste of time. Move to Seattle already and put Memphis out of its misery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GTG said:

20 years of crap from this franchise. What a waste of time. Move to Seattle already and put Memphis out of its misery. 

Would the new Seattle ownership group have to buy out the message board posters?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GTG said:

20 years of crap from this franchise. What a waste of time. Move to Seattle already and put Memphis out of its misery. 

Try Metamucil. Are you always so upbeat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Try Metamucil. Are you always so upbeat?

Constipation hurts, but so does the truth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

#bump

Did you seriously bump your own thread after one hour?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Did you seriously bump your own thread after one hour?

Yeah.

And the title of this thread is a riff of Hunter S. Thompson, get it?  I have been thinking of paying homage for Bubble World/Mania for like, a month.  Now is as good a time as any to break out this thread.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll be fine. We're missing 3 of our top 8 players right now, and arguably our best player. No the bubble isn't going well, and that's okay. We're young, we're going to take our lumps at times. 

There are some positives that have come from this. Grayson Allen looks like he could be a starter if he can sustain his success here. Jaren looked like he was really rounding out his offensive game, as well as limiting his fouls a little in his 3 games. Melton, and maybe Josh if we want him, have driven down their value, so they should be easier to retain. And well, everyone is gaining valuable experience for a playoff race. Plus we're going to end up 13th or 14th, which means we either jump into the top 4 of the draft (very unlikely) or convey our pick (very likely). 

Some of those are a little glass half full type of things, but there have been some positives. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Yeah.

And the title of this thread is a riff of Hunter S. Thompson, get it?  I have been thinking of paying homage for Bubble World/Mania for like, a month.  Now is as good a time as any to break out this thread.  

I got the fear and loathing connection. I don’t believe this thread belongs in Grizz Talk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

On The Road To Nowhere In 2020: Fear And Loathing In Bubble World

 

Well we blew the first 3. Now we are down Jaren.  Our team is roughed up.  Can we get a win today?  If not, where do we go from Nowhere?

In some other threads we are contemplating the draft.  OR, trade targets.  Potential free agent signings too.

Why not throw the kitchen sink at our brave new existential crisis???

I will have you know that I won back to back fantasy basketball titles.

I will have you know that I won the 2021-2022 NBA championship on NBA 2K with a roster of Greek Freak, AD, Mitch Rob, Deni Avdija, LaMelo Ball, Bol Bol, Duncan Robinson, Tyrell Terry, Slo Mo, Tacko Fall, Ibou Dianko Badji, Killian Tillie, Casius Stanley, Paul Millsap, and Moses Moody.

Cant' wait to run that team back and go for a Video Game Beast Mode Dynasty.

Now, back to reality.  Screw it. Trade EVERYBODY.

Starters: LaMelo Ball, Devin Vassell, Deni Avdija, Aleksej Pokusevski, James Wiseman

Bench: Markus Howard, Sam Merrill, Cassius Stanley, Yves Pons, Freddie Gillespie

Reserves: De'Anthony Melton, Yuta Watanabe, Jontay Porter, Jr., Generic Veteran Locker Room Guy 1, Generic Veteran Locker Room Guy 1a

2 Way Contracts: Jon Konchar, Jack White

 

 

 

 

ALT GRIND

The golden age of the ABA is truly upon us.

Yves ain't even going to the draft for one. What has Yuta ever shown to say he deserves to be a regular contact guy, particularly over Konchar? How on earth are we going to get the top 5 picks in the draft, with realistically only 2, maybe 3 players that could even get that kind of return. JV ain't worth a top 5 pick, neither is Justise or Dillon. Maybe our own pick lucks into a top 4 pick, but probably not. What even is the point of this thread? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Yves ain't even going to the draft for one. What has Yuta ever shown to say he deserves to be a regular contact guy, particularly over Konchar? How on earth are we going to get the top 5 picks in the draft, with realistically only 2, maybe 3 players that could even get that kind of return. JV ain't worth a top 5 pick, neither is Justise or Dillon. Maybe our own pick lucks into a top 4 pick, but probably not. What even is the point of this thread? 

I like Konchar as much as anyone but he is still eligible for a 2 way deal.  Yuta is not.   Yuta looks like a 13th man type.  Just an all-around cheap utility player.  Or maybe we replace him with an extra generic veteran locker room guy.  

I didn’t think about Pons maybe going back to school then right after I posted this I read in the paper that he was going back to UT.  He’s a guy to keep an eye on nonetheless.  He could turn into a Jae Crowder type and guys like that have value.  

A few other players I like are going back to school: Corey Kispert, Matt Mitchell, and Ayo Dosunmu/Kofi Cockburn for Illinois.  Xavier Tillman is staying in the draft and I think he should be a solid player.  So... next year’s draft should have depth too.  

The point of this thread?  A feel of fear/loathing about the Bubble.  I’ve had this feeling for a few weeks.  Decided to start the thread before the Jazz game.  Oh well, at least it’s not another Jaren thread.  

We can focus on the present and future of Grizz Nation (Dunky Land?) in this thread.  Let Jaren’s injury work itself out and then get back to the draft threads either after the lotto (15th) or after we are finally eliminated.   

And before someone yells “hey, why did you contemplate trading everyone on the entire roster?” I say... hey, I kept Yuta/Konchar/Jontay/Melton.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

I like Konchar as much as anyone but he is still eligible for a 2 way deal.  Yuta is not.   Yuta looks like a 13th man type.  Just an all-around cheap utility player.  Or maybe we replace him with an extra generic veteran locker room guy.  

I didn’t think about Pons maybe going back to school then right after I posted this I read in the paper that he was going back to UT.  He’s a guy to keep an eye on nonetheless.  He could turn into a Jae Crowder type and guys like that have value.  

A few other players I like are going back to school: Corey Kispert, Matt Mitchell, and Ayo Dosunmu/Kofi Cockburn for Illinois.  Xavier Tillman is staying in the draft and I think he should be a solid player.  So... next year’s draft should have depth too.  

The point of this thread?  A feel of fear/loathing about the Bubble.  I’ve had this feeling for a few weeks.  Decided to start the thread before the Jazz game.  Oh well, at least it’s not another Jaren thread.  

We can focus on the present and future of Grizz Nation (Dunky Land?) in this thread.  Let Jaren’s injury work itself out and then get back to the draft threads either after the lotto (15th) or after we are finally eliminated.   

And before someone yells “hey, why did you contemplate trading everyone on the entire roster?” I say... hey, I kept Yuta/Konchar/Jontay/Melton.  

Fair enough. Yves looks like he can be a solid player in the NBA. He can defend anyone, and at least improved his jumper. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Fair enough. Yves looks like he can be a solid player in the NBA. He can defend anyone, and at least improved his jumper. 

I kinda wished he had come out.  We could have bought a late 2nd rounder and put him on a 2 way deal.  He could have given us lots of value as a complement to our core.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread just makes me think of this great song. Saw David Byrne perform this at Musicfest a couple years back. Hell of a show

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Zappastache said:

This thread just makes me think of this great song. Saw David Byrne perform this at Musicfest a couple years back. Hell of a show

 

 

Sounds about right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now