Lugan Village

JJJ - Injury Prone? Progress

Year 2 chapter now closed on JJJ.  Disappointing finish as he appeared to be hitting a new level of play and comfort level.  There are stretches of a game where he shows incredible skills, basketball IQ and dominance....but is this enough?  Is he injury prone?  Is he showing enough to be our 1A franchise player with JA? Is he coachable enough to change his stupid foul tendencies?  Is he a 5 and can he get to 10 rebounds a game? Is he consistent game in and game out, the best players do.  After 2 years of watching him, where is his real ceiling?  Some facts;

1. Played 58 games in year 1, 57 games in year 2
  2. FG% dropped from 51 to 47%
  3. Rebounding flat at 3.4 to 3.6 / game
  4. Fouls 3.8 to 4.1 /game in year 2
  5. PER ranks him at 91st in league...hmmm

8 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

there is a difference between guys who get hurt (3j) and guys who are unhealthy (chancun)

What would that be?

On 8/5/2020 at 12:42 PM, ALT GRIND said:

What would that be?

there are guys who body just fells them naturally (disease,genetics,etc.)...then there are guys that just get hurt(twisted ankle,bad fall,etc.)...guys that get hurt is usually just bad look...guys who body fell them usually there is nothing to be done...both of 3js injuries where accidents...there is no sign yet of his body not being able the pressure of NBA basketball.

13 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

there are guys who body just fells them naturally (disease,genetics,etc.)...then there are guys that just get hurt(twisted ankle,bad fall,etc.)...guys that get hurt is usually just bad look...guys who body fell them usually there is nothing to be done...both of 3js injuries where accidents...there is no sign yet of his body not being able the pressure of NBA basketball.

3 injuries. The deep thigh bruise plus the two this season.  If they aren’t red flags then neither are they “good signs”.  Also, we don’t have his medicals.  He might not be Sam Bowie or Bill Walton or Greg Oden (all 3 LOOKED like walking time bombs) but big guys like Pervis Ellison and Blake Griffin have had injuries too.  Ralph Sampson’s body failed him and he was a great athlete up until then.  I also think that injuries add up.  

14 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

3 injuries. The deep thigh bruise plus the two this season.  If they aren’t red flags then neither are they “good signs”.  Also, we don’t have his medicals.  He might not be Sam Bowie or Bill Walton or Greg Oden (all 3 LOOKED like walking time bombs) but big guys like Pervis Ellison and Blake Griffin have had injuries too.  Ralph Sampson’s body failed him and he was a great athlete up until then.  I also think that injuries add up.  

well he was kneed in the thigh and could of played if necessary...and he hurt his knee when he collided with zion's oversized azz...can't remember what the other injury was.

3 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

well he was kneed in the thigh and could of played if necessary...and he hurt his knee when he collided with zion's oversized azz...can't remember what the other injury was.

You’re right those are the previous 2 and this is the third.

6 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

You’re right those are the previous 2 and this is the third.

when/if he ever starts missing games for soreness or pain...then start worrying because it means his body can't take wear and tear of nba basketball...also Ja has already had two injuries....one that required surgery....so why yo ain't worried about him.

Little injuries like the only that happened earlier this season happen to everyone on occasion. He missed 9 games and was about to return before the season stopped. That wasn't a huge cause for concern. I think he could have come back far sooner from the thigh bruise, but we were obviously holding him out, and also trying to tank. 

Now this most recent one is slightly concerning, not because it is particularly bad (because it isn't that bad), but because that is multiple knee injuries now. 

On 8/5/2020 at 12:17 PM, Lugan Village said:

Year 2 chapter now closed on JJJ.  Disappointing finish as he appeared to be hitting a new level of play and comfort level.  There are stretches of a game where he shows incredible skills, basketball IQ and dominance....but is this enough?  Is he injury prone?  Is he showing enough to be our 1A franchise player with JA? Is he coachable enough to change his stupid foul tendencies?  Is he a 5 and can he get to 10 rebounds a game? Is he consistent game in and game out, the best players do.  After 2 years of watching him, where is his real ceiling?  Some facts;

1. Played 58 games in year 1, 57 games in year 2
  2. FG% dropped from 51 to 47%
  3. Rebounding flat at 3.4 to 3.6 / game
  4. Fouls 3.8 to 4.1 /game in year 2
  5. PER ranks him at 91st in league...hmmm
  1. 57 out of 73 games for this season is an improvement on 58 of 82 last year

2. the drop in FG% is likely attributed plan with a whole new team as opposed to a veteran team

3. I think his rebounding will increase as he gets stronger but he may never be a dominant rebounder

4. I think his fouling will go down as he gains experience and the team learns to play better defense

5. His PER will be best told next year.

We as fans watch games and often lose sight of what we are looking at. Jaren has not even hit his 21st birthday, yet he is holding his own in the NBA as a big. His work ethic is the only thing that we determine what heights he reaches. If he is a true worker, he will only get stronger and better.

His potential is probably a 25 ppg, 8 rpg, 2 blk player.....there are only two guys who average 20 pts and 2 blocks: Anthony Davis and Kristaps Porzingis. I am very excited to see what JJJ becomes in year 3.

On 8/5/2020 at 12:34 PM, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

there is a difference between guys who get hurt (3j) and guys who are unhealthy (chancun)

Chancun was a guy who got hurt at first...

On 8/9/2020 at 7:20 AM, King Dork said:

Year 2 and we’re calling a dude injury prone...nice

Not everyone is calling him injury prone. Don't confuse the vocal minority with the majority.

Parsons was a victim of being rushed back by the Mavs and then again by the Grizz. Just like we saw Durant, just like we just saw with Isaac. So whatever the Grizz do they have to be EXTREMELY careful about when to get JJJ back on the floor. Even if it's like a "minor" meniscus tear, that could turn into something worse if they rush him back.

I don't want this to happen all the time to him 

On 8/9/2020 at 12:21 PM, chipc3 said:

Not everyone is calling him injury prone. Don't confuse the vocal minority with the majority.

the subject line asked for comments, I wasn't saying one way or the other...I provided some stats, maybe I should have selected other comparisons.  We need JJJ to improve his skills & grow his BB IQ...and he needs to stay healthy.  Jury is "hung"  on what our fan base thinks, so I guess he needs a strong return next year and come back to camp in the best shape of his career.

Any updates on Jaren? Does he need surgery? I didn't see him on the bench yesterday and thought he might have left the bubble.

Kleiman announced today that JJJ had surgery last week, and is back in Memphis rehabbing. Why the secrecy with the Memphis FO I will never understand. 

Also, the league apparently put out of memo to all teams that the team must correctly describe the injury and the part of the body injured, not just say something generic like fatique. Hollinger immediately tweeted that this should be called the Ja Rule, apparently referencing the fact that the Grizz kept his fractured finger private during the bubble. 

2 hours ago, The J Crew said:

Kleiman announced today that JJJ had surgery last week, and is back in Memphis rehabbing. Why the secrecy with the Memphis FO I will never understand. 

Also, the league apparently put out of memo to all teams that the team must correctly describe the injury and the part of the body injured, not just say something generic like fatique. Hollinger immediately tweeted that this should be called the Ja Rule, apparently referencing the fact that the Grizz kept his fractured finger private during the bubble. 

yea, they've been tight lipped w/ injuries this year.  winslow's they were cryptic with, we found at allen was out for the season (at the time) on accident by coach K, etc etc.  don't know why they aren't more transparent.

So he should be ready for december?