Rdk4121

Grizzles Trade Targets

18 hours ago, grizzknob said:

I mean it's interesting anytime a perennial all-nba player comes up, but given the decade + age difference and how ball dominant Harden is and the awkward fit with Ja I wouldn't be pulling that trigger.

Agreed. I am definitely team make a trade this offseason, but not that kind of a trade. Can't we just find a 28 year old Trevor Ariza equivalent? Or a 2017ish Eric Gordon?

19 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

Lakers can't trade a first until 2027.

But why are you, the I love JV guy, proposing JV trades?  Is this some kind of jedi mind trick to flesh out the JV haters?

Just making xmas naughty and nice  list....

To me, Harden style of play is one that will probably never win a championship. He's a great player, but he's so ball dominant he schemes the rest of his team out of the game. 

28 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

To me, Harden style of play is one that will probably never win a championship. He's a great player, but he's so ball dominant he schemes the rest of his team out of the game. 

Totally agree, I dont like him at all and Ja doesnt either 😁

19 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

Lakers receive- Jonas Valanciunas, #40 overall

Memphis receives- Danny Green, #28 overall, 2025 1st round pick unprotected

As one of hte other posters said, Lakers can't trade future first till 2027. But even if they could, why would they? They just won a title with two serviceable centers in Dwight/McGee. They also will likely have to include DG in trade for whatever '3rd star' they want to get. This is a terrible trade for the Lakers. JV is not a good defender and their bigs entire purpose was to come in and hack and get under people's skin. Not a dump it down low and get a bunch of rebounds guy. 

That said, I believe the peak of our team's possibility is with Jaren at the 5 and BC in the starting lineup at the 4. For that to happen we'd have to trade JV, or brirng him off the bench, which I don't think much sense. We should be actively exploring trades for JV. And I'm saying this as someone who LOVES J.V. I'd be interested in looking to trade him for someone like Lou WIlliams as someone who can come off the bench and score for us, with a starting lineup of Ja/Justise/BC/Jaren and either Dillon or Grayson Allen.

Our goal should be to try to compete in two or three years from now. Not this upcoming season. I think the chances we make a drastic enough leap to make the playoffs with the Warriors coming back and the Suns coming up, plus Minnesota trying "win now" are just too low. It's just going to be too competitive in the West. We should be taking on 2-3 year contracts in a manner that allows those to come off the books when Jaren and Ja's contracts come up. If Justise remains healthy and Dillon learns how to play within himself, the possibility of just one more player or some more depth might be enough to get us there 2 years from now.

2 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

Our goal should be to try to compete in two or three years from now. Not this upcoming season. I think the chances we make a drastic enough leap to make the playoffs with the Warriors coming back and the Suns coming up, plus Minnesota trying "win now" are just too low. It's just going to be too competitive in the West. We should be taking on 2-3 year contracts in a manner that allows those to come off the books when Jaren and Ja's contracts come up. If Justise remains healthy and Dillon learns how to play within himself, the possibility of just one more player or some more depth might be enough to get us there 2 years from now.

I strongly disagree with that. What you are basically saying is our Grizz should not try to compete while we have Ja, Jaren and BC on their below market rookie deals. And that would be a huge mistake. Due to a lot of luck, some skill, and some other teams making dumb decisions, we have our future stars already.  If the opportunity presents itself to fill in around them the next two months, we absolutely should do it.

Re the expectations of the teams you mentioned, did you expect the Warriors to finish 15th this season in the West? OKC was picked near the bottom with us last season, and they finished 5th. Miami finished 11th in the East in '18-'19, and made the Finals this year.

Grizz should go into the season trying to make the playoffs. Towards the trade deadline, we see where we are. If we have no shot, we sell off some players and add an asset or two, although besides Jonas and maybe Melton and assuming the young 3 are off the table, I don't think we have much that other teams want. If we are in the running, we keep trying to win. 

10 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

I strongly disagree with that. What you are basically saying is our Grizz should not try to compete while we have Ja, Jaren and BC on their below market rookie deals. And that would be a huge mistake. Due to a lot of luck, some skill, and some other teams making dumb decisions, we have our future stars already.  If the opportunity presents itself to fill in around them the next two months, we absolutely should do it.

Re the expectations of the teams you mentioned, did you expect the Warriors to finish 15th this season in the West? OKC was picked near the bottom with us last season, and they finished 5th. Miami finished 11th in the East in '18-'19, and made the Finals this year.

Grizz should go into the season trying to make the playoffs. Towards the trade deadline, we see where we are. If we have no shot, we sell off some players and add an asset or two, although besides Jonas and maybe Melton and assuming the young 3 are off the table, I don't think we have much that other teams want. If we are in the running, we keep trying to win. 

I think you misinterpreted what he said. The idea is to become competitive for a title run starting 2-3 year from now, not to stop competing every single game until then. Frankly, the template should be pretty much what you say: play hard to win and pounce on any opportunities to improve the roster.

The key difference with what some posters are saying is that the goal should be to improve the roster with that title run window in mind, not to cash our chips right now for some middling player that will cripple our salary structure and become a free agent before Ja, JJJ and BC finish their rookie contracts.

2 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

I think you misinterpreted what he said. The idea is to become competitive for a title run starting 2-3 year from now, not to stop competing every single game until then. Frankly, the template should be pretty much what you say: play hard to win and pounce on any opportunities to improve the roster.

The key difference with what some posters are saying is that the goal should be to improve the roster with that title run window in mind, not to cash our chips right now for some middling player that will cripple our salary structure and become a free agent before Ja, JJJ and BC finish their rookie contracts.

Don't think so, he said "not this upcoming season" right after the part I bolded.  And no middling player is going to cripple our salary structure - that's just a strawman some use to excuse not make any moves. 

Unfortunately, there is a lot of sentiment among Grizz fans to lose on purpose to try to get a lottery pick in the '21 draft. I think the absolute worst thing you can do with a young core is to lose on purpose. They develop bad habits, the coach gets fired, they want to leave to go to an organization that tries to win. 

The 76ers won exactly as many playoff games as we did this season, despite being many experts pick to come out of the East this year. Do Simmons and Embiid give the impression that they know how to win and execute in the 4th quarter? Does Embiid show up in shape? Has Simmons done anything to develop an outside shot? Maybe losing on purpose for years is the main reason these guys underperform, when they should be top 15 players. And now the 76ers are paying Embiid and Simmons $60M next year, their cheap years are gone.

5 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Yes, this is what I meant

12 hours ago, The J Crew said:

Don't think so, he said "not this upcoming season" right after the part I bolded.  And no middling player is going to cripple our salary structure - that's just a strawman some use to excuse not make any moves. 

Unfortunately, there is a lot of sentiment among Grizz fans to lose on purpose to try to get a lottery pick in the '21 draft. I think the absolute worst thing you can do with a young core is to lose on purpose. They develop bad habits, the coach gets fired, they want to leave to go to an organization that tries to win. 

The 76ers won exactly as many playoff games as we did this season, despite being many experts pick to come out of the East this year. Do Simmons and Embiid give the impression that they know how to win and execute in the 4th quarter? Does Embiid show up in shape? Has Simmons done anything to develop an outside shot? Maybe losing on purpose for years is the main reason these guys underperform, when they should be top 15 players. And now the 76ers are paying Embiid and Simmons $60M next year, their cheap years are gone.

I'm not sure if you missed the multiple proposals to trade for Horford, or Wiggins, or similar players that won't really move the needle but come with hundreds of millions in owed salary. Maybe "middling" is not the right term for this kind of players, but they aren't stars either.

And I'm not trying to be contrarian, but I think the strawman is the idea that we should tank next season in purpose. I haven't seen anyone actually say that.

The discussion is not between tanking or not tanking. It's about how much we should spend in assets that could give us a push right now versus a few years down the road. I'd rather manage our salary conservatively, use our picks and trades to get young players with upside, and grab the occasional veteran on team-friendly contracts (like JV or Tyus) and then use all those accumulated assets a few years down the road. In the meantime, push hard to win every game with the team we have and demand accountability from everyone in the organization.

You know, like last season.

2 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

I'm not sure if you missed the multiple proposals to trade for Horford, or Wiggins, or similar players that won't really move the needle but come with hundreds of millions in owed salary. Maybe "middling" is not the right term for this kind of players, but they aren't stars either.

And I'm not trying to be contrarian, but I think the strawman is the idea that we should tank next season in purpose. I haven't seen anyone actually say that.

The discussion is not between tanking or not tanking. It's about how much we should spend in assets that could give us a push right now versus a few years down the road. I'd rather manage our salary conservatively, use our picks and trades to get young players with upside, and grab the occasional veteran on team-friendly contracts (like JV or Tyus) and then use all those accumulated assets a few years down the road. In the meantime, push hard to win every game with the team we have and demand accountability from everyone in the organization.

You know, like last season.

I don't think the people saying it's not smart to sit and do nothing are saying to go get bad contracts like Horford or Wiggins. And Wiggins is worse than middling, he's awful. And many on this board have suggested losing on purpose to get one more lottery pick in the '21 draft - that's tanking, and it's the exact opposite of what the Grizz should be doing. 

Making a move for one of the many of the wings mentioned over and over - Buddy Hield, Dipo, LaVine, Oubre - makes all kind of sense. 

Jonas was speaking in Lithuania ....about the Grizz....Very good locker room (was comparing to Toronto who had some bad characters)...It's not a coincidence...Zach is only taking high character guys and will pass on any real or imaginary trouble in the locker room....that's why no Iggy or Dwight or why Dion was cut even Grizz could've used his contract in a deal ...no offer to Josh...no Buddy or Dipo (divas both of them)...Was hinting that Taylor even very nice...is a bit of a pushover regarding accountability of players (coughDilloncough) ....was impressed and amazed with Ja work ethic... was strangely silent about 3J (and silence says a lot)...Remembering funny story in Toronto in his first year he ordered some chicken wings and was asked "Do you want it hot?"....He assumed choice was between hot or cold wings...hot ofc JV replied...and hot it was.

17 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

If the right player comes along now you cash the chips in now, if not you hold. 

If they can get a Buddy Hield or Zach Lavine this off-season, great. If not hold all the leverage. There’s also value in getting another major piece prior to the Ja & Jaren extensions, you may be able to add even more to it because of the cap flexibility you’ll still have. 

1 minute ago, King Dork said:

If they can get a Buddy Hield or Zach Lavine this off-season, great. If not hold all the leverage. There’s also value in getting another major piece prior to the Ja & Jaren extensions, you may be able to add even more to it because of the cap flexibility you’ll still have. 

Exactly right, KD. 

1 hour ago, King Dork said:

Agree on zach , buddy maybe .  Id also like to keep our own 1st rd picks if possible  in those deals. 

Just imagine we have a season like the Thunder after they traded George/Westbrook. They were not expected to be competitive. Suddenly they're in the playoffs and taking 3 games off the rockets. Now their future is bright as they have all of these assets and they can either rebuild by trading CP3 or use their newly acquired treasure trove to bring in other players. Take a look at the Pelicans. They stumble into the #1 pick and get Zion. Suddenly Reddick and others want to play there. 

If we have a great year (without using our assets), some actual FAs might want to come and win with this team. Then we have all of these stock piled assets available to go get a piece. There is huge opportunity cost to cashing in some of these assets for players like Hield/Lavine. Our timeline isn't this year. That's not to say we can't be competitive and have a fun team that if the cards fall our way could maybe make a run at the playoffs. Just very unlikely. Develop a winning culture and chemistry. Maintain assets and strike when it's time.

7 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

Just imagine we have a season like the Thunder after they traded George/Westbrook. They were not expected to be competitive. Suddenly they're in the playoffs and taking 3 games off the rockets. Now their future is bright as they have all of these assets and they can either rebuild by trading CP3 or use their newly acquired treasure trove to bring in other players. Take a look at the Pelicans. They stumble into the #1 pick and get Zion. Suddenly Reddick and others want to play there. 

If we have a great year (without using our assets), some actual FAs might want to come and win with this team. Then we have all of these stock piled assets available to go get a piece. There is huge opportunity cost to cashing in some of these assets for players like Hield/Lavine. Our timeline isn't this year. That's not to say we can't be competitive and have a fun team that if the cards fall our way could maybe make a run at the playoffs. Just very unlikely. Develop a winning culture and chemistry. Maintain assets and strike when it's time.

Pretty much , the difference between zach andother mention is that hes only 25.

9 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

Best case scenario

4 hours ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

Pretty much , the difference between zach andother mention is that hes only 25.

He will get a huge deal and I honestly think we would regret it once we start trying to make deep playoff runs

12 minutes ago, Dwash said:

He will get a huge deal and I honestly think we would regret it once we start trying to make deep playoff runs

Maybe . i would keep some picks in any deal , none of these guys are worth giving up utah,gsw and a grizz 1st or anything close to that this year. Id take zach before hield though . 

12 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

Maybe . i would keep some picks in any deal , none of these guys are worth giving up utah,gsw and a grizz 1st or anything close to that this year. Id take zach before hield though . 

Morant and Lavine would be a scary athletic duo

36 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

But that's the strawman, no one is talking about giving up three 1st round picks in a trade for Hield or LaVine. The people saying that just don't want to make a trade.

If it's Dillon and filler, maybe you don't have to add much. If it's a way overpaid guy like Gorgui, we will have to add a 1st round pick.

I think Hield is the guy, because he can just sit on the wing and launch 8-10 3 pointers a game, which opens up the lane for Ja. Yes, he's overpaid, but his contract declines. And maybe getting him out of Sacramento helps his attitude. 

15 minutes ago, The J Crew said:

But that's the strawman, no one is talking about giving up three 1st round picks in a trade for Hield or LaVine. The people saying that just don't want to make a trade.

If it's Dillon and filler, maybe you don't have to add much. If it's a way overpaid guy like Gorgui, we will have to add a 1st round pick.

I think Hield is the guy, because he can just sit on the wing and launch 8-10 3 pointers a game, which opens up the lane for Ja. Yes, he's overpaid, but his contract declines. And maybe getting him out of Sacramento helps his attitude. 

We don't need ppl like that in Memphis...he's cancer.