Crizzle

What is more frustrating, Dillons shot selection, or Jarens fouling?

What is more frustrating, Dillons shot selection, or Jarens fouling?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What is more frustrating, Dillons shot selection, or Jarens fouling?

• Dillons shot selection
    • Jarens fouling

Jaren's fouling by far. He's kept back from producing as expected from a number 2 option by being restricted in minutes plus this puts extra offensive load on Dillon which only exacerbates his own issues.

Also, Dillon's shot selection (when bad) can be mitigated by the coach who can give him specific offensive instructions or pull him out if needed. On the other hand there's nothing the coach can do if Jaren is loaded with fouls or fouled out.

9 hours ago, Crizzle said:

And which do you think is more detrimental to the teams success ?

Dillon's shot taking comes within the coach's system. Jaren's fouling is completely against the team's desire, system or success. Clearly Jaren's fouls are the larger issue here. 

Think about it this way, which one gets the player benched? 

3 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Dillon's shot taking comes within the coach's system. Jaren's fouling is completely against the team's desire, system or success. Clearly Jaren's fouls are the larger issue here. 

Jaren needs to work on his defensive fundamentals.  Then he can be the high volume 3 and D big man for 30 plus minutes per night that we need.

4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Both get players benched to be fair. Fouling can prevent you from coming back, it also affects the whole game where as not playing well on offense doesn't affect your defensive impact. 

Both of them in tangent make me legit  want to rip my hair out.  WAtch dillon brick a contested fadeaway 20 footer that leads to a fast break with Jaren swiping at the ball handler.  You will hear GDs and MFs if you are anywhere within 100 ft

The wannabe substitute coach in "Hoosiers" was actually right when he said "you can't score if you don't shoot" thus I think Jaren's fouls are the bigger issue right now.  Because you CAN play defense without fouling out in the 3rd quarter without making all the mental mistake cheap fouls.

Jaren by far because Dillon is just a decent talent trying to do more than he really should. He takes bad shots because he doesn't have the skills to get harder to challenge looks.  Jaren should not be doing what he is doing at all and is off the charts bad at fouling at this point. 

5 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Both get players benched to be fair. Fouling can prevent you from coming back, it also affects the whole game where as not playing well on offense doesn't affect your defensive impact. 

Everyone has the green light in Jenkins' system so I doubt someone would get benched for shooting too much unless it was just horrendously excessive. In some systems could shooting too much get you benched, yes but I think that's part of Jenkins' system.

6 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

When has Dillon been benched for talking bad shots?

7 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Jaren needs to work on his defensive fundamentals.  Then he can be the high volume 3 and D big man for 30 plus minutes per night that we need.

JJJ May become a 3 and D big man but he has the talent to be so much more if he would just work on his weaknessses.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

When has Dillon been benched for talking bad shots?

Benched is relative, it's not like we have had a whole lot to work with on the wings during the season. There was a couple of games during the season. Like I said, he plays defense pretty well overall, so that's why he stayed on the court more often than not during his dry streaks. 

I rather have a guy like Dillion who is not afraid to take shots rather than a Marc Gasol type who is never shots even if their open and have the skill.

Now with Jaren I really think his fouling will eventually get better but the improvement/development rate is very slow and I have a feeling people around here are not going to be patient enough especially with a guy like JA around who's development is really rapid making Jaren process look even slower in comparison.

Name 1 premier defender that doesn’t get away with felonious assault - repeatedly.

I’m not worried about 13’s defense.  (right now)

Games from here on out will hit different. Playoff intensity

If he keeps going hard the narrative will shift to how well he covers as a help defender and how his pesky wingspan creates steals and fuels the Grizz get out and run fast breaks.

Please believe me - referees are human too (a little bit).

Spread a few “wow Jaren Jackson Jr with the great whatever defensive possession “

Add a dash of redemption lines about how “he USED to foul too much to stay on the floor “

Talk about his “quick moves and his guard type handles for a  6’11” big (medium big?) “

Then sprinkle a couple of “will not shy away from launching and hitting 3s”

WHAM 

what fouls ?

(I’m still taping his arms straight up and forcing him to learn how to move his feet to defend - in practice)

🤣💫💨

I think we all need to take a breath ...

We went from a squad that was projected to be in the 30th place this season . ( I am too lazy to look it up and if I’m wrong- one of our resident stat guys will quickly correct me) 

Now it feels like we think that we must have an ALL All-Star lineup or else... ( so much trade machine get this guy trade that guy) 

Breathe.

These guys have played well above what I expected. Now next season I may (probably will) be more harsh in my assessments.

I really want to see this team grow ... develop with each other. 

No more rookie coach ( not gone rook us 🤣💫💨)

Reigning Rookie of the year must see tv in his 2nd season

BC balling more like a young Blake Griffin - physically. Going hard... but with an actual working heart (I STILL can’t stand Blake)

Jones! We have a really good one coming off the bench this season. Not too shabby at all. 

13 showing steady progress 

SLO-Mo has started to show that he can slowly hit them in the eye with a workable 3 ball.

Dillon - well - there’s room for him on every good team. Think JR. Smith, J.Crawford, J Smooth... I’ll even add the Isaiah T. (Celtics version) small guard ,big heart ,huge self confidence bordering  on irrational guy. 
Dillon - when he finds his groove is not bad... he plays defense, sets screens, is ALWAYS calling for the ball 😉

Dillon heatchecking from half court in the first 5 seconds of the shot clock going 1 on 5 - no thank you.

4 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

I think we all need to take a breath ...

We went from a squad that was projected to be in the 30th place this season . ( I am too lazy to look it up and if I’m wrong- one of our resident stat guys will quickly correct me) 

Now it feels like we think that we must have an ALL All-Star lineup or else... ( so much trade machine get this guy trade that guy) 

Breathe.

These guys have played well above what I expected. Now next season I may (probably will) be more harsh in my assessments.

I really want to see this team grow ... develop with each other. 

No more rookie coach ( not gone rook us 🤣💫💨)

Reigning Rookie of the year must see tv in his 2nd season

BC balling more like a young Blake Griffin - physically. Going hard... but with an actual working heart (I STILL can’t stand Blake)

Jones! We have a really good one coming off the bench this season. Not too shabby at all. 

13 showing steady progress 

SLO-Mo has started to show that he can slowly hit them in the eye with a workable 3 ball.

Dillon - well - there’s room for him on every good team. Think JR. Smith, J.Crawford, J Smooth... I’ll even add the Isaiah T. (Celtics version) small guard ,big heart ,huge self confidence bordering  on irrational guy. 
Dillon - when he finds his groove is not bad... he plays defense, sets screens, is ALWAYS calling for the ball 😉

Dillon heatchecking from half court in the first 5 seconds of the shot clock going 1 on 5 - no thank you.

29th

well we will see today vs portland 

13 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Benched is relative, it's not like we have had a whole lot to work with on the wings during the season. There was a couple of games during the season. Like I said, he plays defense pretty well overall, so that's why he stayed on the court more often than not during his dry streaks. 

Benched isn't relative. Either you get pulled out for taking a bad shot or you aren't getting pulled out for taking a bad shot. Jaren is getting pulled out of the game when he commits those stupid fouls. 

My position is that Jaren's fouls are more disruptive and infuriating because he is taken off the court by his mistakes. Dillon's bad shots are infuriating but not as much as Jaren't because Dillon stays on the court and can contribute in other ways. 

I have no idea what your position is. 

37 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Benched isn't relative. Either you get pulled out for taking a bad shot or you aren't getting pulled out for taking a bad shot. Jaren is getting pulled out of the game when he commits those stupid fouls. 

True. This is why I said (early this season) Coach is going to have to leave him in there for that third foul before the second quarter is barely 3 minutes old ...

it does 2 things :

1. make 13 think ... might just put enough pressure on him to turn the corner

and

2. it is kind of a dare to the officials

force the refs to think as well... “he’s sitting on three fouls - do I ...or this call can go either way or let them play and sort it out on the court”

call it whatever technical word they want to use to describe this season...

Right now

is 

the

playoffs

for us.

the physicality is gonna be ratcheted up past 10.

throw it up

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

My position is that Jaren's fouls are more disruptive and infuriating because he is taken off the court by his mistakes. Dillon's bad shots are infuriating but not as much as Jaren't because Dillon stays on the court and can contribute in other ways. 

I have no idea what your position is. 

You're making an argument I never made. I never said Jaren's problem wasn't worse, I said both taking bad shots and fouling can get players benched, which is correct. Never remotely said Dillon for benched for bad shots, though he has at least a couple of times. Being benched here is relative, might happen for other teams for bad shots, doesn't really happen here, and the reason he doesn't get benched is because he plays defense. 

Please don't reply to me, I don't want to have this conversation.