chipc3

Grizzlies Scrimmage Stats

After two games this is how the players are performing. 

Starters: 
J. Morant          FG: 10-27 3PT: 1--5  Ast: 17 REB: 6
Ja Jackson       FG: 7-22   3PT: 3-10 Ast: 3   REB: 9
D. Brooks          FG: 4-21   3PT: 3-12  Ast: 4  REB: 6
K. Anderson      FG: 8-14    3PT: 4-8   Ast: 1   REB: 12
J. Valancunas   FG: 13-21 3PT: 1-3   Ast: 3   REB 20

Bench - 2 Games
B. Clarke           FG: 12-19 3PT: 1-2    Ast: 1  REB: 11
D. Melton          FG: 5-14   3PT: 5-11  Ast: 4  REB: 9
T. Jones            FG: 0-6     3PT: 0-1    Ast: 7  REB: 6

Bench - 1 game
A. Tolliver         FG: 3-6      3PT: 2-5   Ast: 1  REB: 4
G. Allen             FG: 2-8      3PT: 0-4   Ast: 2  REB: 4
G. Dieng            FG: 1-4      3PT: 0-2   Ast: 0  REB: 3
Jo Jackson      FG: 0-4      3PT: 0-2   Ast: 2  REB: 2

Remember the rule of large numbers and try not to draw too many conclusions about two scrimmage games. 

Don't forget today's game starts at 1:00 PM and is being shown on Grizzlies.com. It is supposed to be on NBA TV but likely will be blocked out in the local market. 

Really rough shooting numbers for just about everyone not named Kyle, Jonas, Brandon or Anthony.

We've managed to avoid injuries in these scrimmage games, which after Ja's fall after his dunk, BC landing on his hip after the Green foul and Jaren awkwardly bending his leg after a landing is pretty fortunate. 

Would be reassuring to see either or both of Jaren and Dillon play well on offense today - the other three starters have shown me enough so it's just left to them two. 

Watched the Pels play the Bucks last night...

I don't think we're going to make the playoffs boys. 

2 hours ago, Zappastache said:

Watched the Pels play the Bucks last night...

I don't think we're going to make the playoffs boys. 

Who Asked You GIF | Gfycat

5 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

Really rough shooting numbers for just about everyone not named Kyle, Jonas, Brandon or Anthony.

We've managed to avoid injuries in these scrimmage games, which after Ja's fall after his dunk, BC landing on his hip after the Green foul and Jaren awkwardly bending his leg after a landing is pretty fortunate. 

Would be reassuring to see either or both of Jaren and Dillon play well on offense today - the other three starters have shown me enough so it's just left to them two. 

You got half of your request. Dillon looked great today. Jaren fouled out in 19 minutes and was a non-factor outside of a few three point shots. 

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

You got half of your request. Dillon looked great today. Jaren fouled out in 19 minutes and was a non-factor outside of a few three point shots. 

Thankfully, Jaren being a non-factor was a non-factor.  Still got the win.  Ja/Dillon led the way.  I missed the first half but it sounded like we played great.  We played well in the 3rd quarter too.  I still think JV is rounding into shape.  Let's see where he is in a week or so.  

... well at least Jaren is fresh, after being in ridiculous foul trouble the past two scrimmages.  

I think he needs to back off on defense a bit (go with a PREVENT style???) and focus on 3 point shooting, running the floor and rebounding.

I didn;t watch any of or see the scrimmage results/stats until today with Chips numbers...I didnt see any reference to JV's  play...So i assumed he was hurt, or played marginal, or something....but but these numbers i guess he is showing OK?  Solid?  How did he do toady vs Miami?

36 minutes ago, Lugan Village said:

I didn;t watch any of or see the scrimmage results/stats until today with Chips numbers...I didnt see any reference to JV's  play...So i assumed he was hurt, or played marginal, or something....but but these numbers i guess he is showing OK?  Solid?  How did he do toady vs Miami?

JV is doing fine. He looked in shape from day 1.

8 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

JV is doing fine. He looked in shape from day 1.

I missed the first half and he didn't play as much in the second.  Had 15 boards.  But... with Jaren struggling and JV not an elite fast break guy or above-the-rim player or floor spacer I am wondering if we should start Clarke/Jaren at the 4/5 to maximize our youth/athleticism/fire power on the front line right out of the gate.  Then we can get Ja Morant going at his pace.  Those two young blue chip bigs should also provide more floor spacing (especially for Dillon Brooks).  Kyle Anderson then fits perfectly.  

Jonas can be our bruising rebounder and post scorer on a slow-down grit/grind bench featuring Tyus/Melton/Josh with Tolliver as the floor-spacing stretch 4.  

I was thinking that the Grizzlies should start planning on closing games without Jaren. That would mean playing Brandon with Jonas, Kyle Or De’Anthony, Dillon and Ja a lot more. The team can’t rely on Jaren being in the game at the end.  

16 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I was thinking that the Grizzlies should start planning on closing games without Jaren. That would mean playing Brandon with Jonas, Kyle Or De’Anthony, Dillon and Ja a lot more. The team can’t rely on Jaren being in the game at the end.  

Jaren should be closing if he's not in foul trouble, because he can reasonably guard anybody, helps space out the floor, and can theoretically protect the rim very well. JV isn't great at any of those things other than rim protection which has only okay at, but he also is by far the best rebounder on the team. I would think his weakness on defense overall would still most likely disqualify him. 

Our ideal closing lineup is Ja, Melton, Dillon, Brandon, Jaren. Now that Kyle can shoot, maybe you can play him at the 4 and play any of the other 3 at the 5. Who knows. 

7 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Jaren should be closing if he's not in foul trouble, because he can reasonably guard anybody, helps space out the floor, and can theoretically protect the rim very well. JV isn't great at any of those things other than rim protection which has only okay at, but he also is by far the best rebounder on the team. I would think his weakness on defense overall would still most likely disqualify him. 

Our ideal closing lineup is Ja, Melton, Dillon, Brandon, Jaren. Now that Kyle can shoot, maybe you can play him at the 4 and play any of the other 3 at the 5. Who knows. 

If Kyle is legit then he is a top shelf option down the stretch along with being our nominal starting small forward.  I am wondering if we should pick up the pace (and also get Jaren going early) ASAP.  Start Kyle/Clarke/Jaren on the front line.  Kyle/Clarke give us more length and defense on the front line so maybe there are few jail breaks by the opposition getting to the rim.  If our forwards (and guards) can keep their guy in front of them more, then Jaren can focus on containing slower guys with similar length as himself (matching up against centers instead of quicker, more athletic 4's).  Double plus bonus for being able to take the opposing center out to the 3 point line.  He can also take more centers off the dribble.  Jonas can feast inside against backup front court players.  

If Jaren gets going early, don't take him out until he gets his third foul.  Then, sit him for most of the half (or bring him in with 2 minutes left in the second).  Take him out after his third foul, so you can bring him in down the stretch with 4 fouls.  Just in case we need to have him out there as a closer.

Clarke and Kyle can help crash the boards since Jaren is a pretty bad rebounder.  

Against a bigger team inside like the Lakers, not only do we need to throw a bunch of bigs at them (with each having 6 fouls) but we also need stretch bigs who can take AD/Dwight/Javale outside.  Make them defend 25 feet from home plate.  So, let Jaren guard Javale.  Let's see what Clarke can do against AD.  Slo Mo on LeBron.  Then you have a Jonas/Dwight big man duel off the bench.  Dieng/Tolliver do the same thing: give you some rebounding, defense, and fouls and can also stretch the floor from the 4 and 5 spots.  

Man our shooting was rough. Ill blame it on rust

14 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

The problem is Jaren is too often in foul trouble or already fouled out in the final five minutes of games. The Grizzlies need to work on contingency plan lineups for the inevitable with Jaren.