chipc3

Winslow Injured Again. Out for the season.

The Memphis Grizzlies today provided the following medical update on Grizzlies forward Justise Winslow:

During Monday’s practice, Justise Winslow fell after absorbing contact during an intra-squad scrimmage. Medical evaluation revealed a hip injury, which will cause him to miss the rest of the season.

Winslow is expected to make a full recovery.

--------

1 minute ago, GoGrizz! said:

And, he is already hurt and hasn't played a second.

Running injuries. Lol! | Funny relatable memes, Stupid funny, Workout memes

don,t need him to make the play-off 

It remains to be seen how the salary cap plays out, but if you're keeping score at home, we went from Crowder, Hill and Iguodala falling off the books at the end of the season, to...

2020-2021: 

Dieng - $17,287,640
Winslow - $13,000,000
Waiters - $12,650,000 (dead cap - not sure if this is lowered as a result of buyout and playing for Lakers)
Total: $42,937,640 (above the salary cap by $20,763,527)

The pandemic's effect on future salary cap figures was unknown when they made the trade and there's still the possibility of Winslow being a perfect fit alongside our core, but this was a definite gamble by the front office.

Winslow already had a season-ending injury in his 2nd year (torn labrum in his shoulder), had a back injury that made him miss most of this season and now this hip injury. They're all unrelated injuries, so hopefully it's just a matter of really bad luck that will turn around next season.

11 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

It remains to be seen how the salary cap plays out, but if you're keeping score at home, we went from Crowder, Hill and Iguodala falling off the books at the end of the season, to...

2020-2021: 

Dieng - $17,287,640
Winslow - $13,000,000
Waiters - $12,650,000 (dead cap - not sure if this is lowered as a result of buyout and playing for Lakers)

The pandemic's effect on future salary cap figures was unknown when they made the trade and there's still the possibility of Winslow being a perfect fit alongside our core, but this was a definite gamble by the front office.

Winslow already had a season-ending injury in his 2nd year (torn labrum in his shoulder), had a back injury that made him miss most of this season and now this hip injury. They're all unrelated injuries, so hopefully it's just a matter of really bad luck that will turn around next season.

Being above the salary cap isn't an issue. Being below the luxury tax is what Pera has mandated. 

Man Winslow in injurie prone isn't he? Josh and Allen will get minutes now for sure, I hope other guys stay healthy, but that is a major loss, I expect him to fit perfect next to Ja and Dillon.

Well, we were hoping to see how he looked in the starting lineup, and now we won't know until next year. Very disappointing. 

We already were getting KILLED by pundits and online about how we got fleeced on this trade, and now it looks even worse. I think this would've been a good trade if we didn't take on Waiters' contract weighing us down next year. I guess we punted on free agency for a guy that is a walking injury. 

smh

32 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

2020-2021: 

Dieng - $17,287,640
Winslow - $13,000,000

It seemed like a deliberate choice to roll on the cap space to 21 but it would be good to see Justise on the court sometime before they make a decision on his option. 

Man, I feel for the kid.  He was on cloud nine getting back into basketball action and in anticipation of the restart.  Truthfully though, although I was looking forward to seeing him out there, we certainly don't need him to be successful as we didn't have him all season to this point, and truthfully, we may be better off without him for the short term as far as team chemistry is concerned. 

46 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

2020-2021: 

Dieng - $17,287,640
Winslow - $13,000,000

This was my concern at the time of the trade. I still maintain (i have no evidence to back this up) that we could have acquired him in the off-season with a trade exception/cap space from Crowder/Hill/Iggy falling off of the books, Miami wasn't going to play him either way. His time there was done. The trust was broken.  I really hope it works out and I'm glad we got Dieng but I still felt we moved too fast with this. Crowder and Hill were not part of the future but could have helped with stability for the rest of this season, especially now with how COVID disrupted so many things. 

1 minute ago, BnaBreaker said:

Man, I feel for the kid.  He was on cloud nine getting back into basketball action and in anticipation of the restart.  Truthfully though, although I was looking forward to seeing him out there, we certainly don't need him to be successful as we didn't have him all season to this point, and truthfully, we may be better off without him for the short term as far as team chemistry is concerned. 

Agreed and it may help Josh Jackson out as far as a new contract as well. I would assume they will try to trade SloMo after teh season    and that Tolliver is done after this season. It seemed as if Jackson's main competition was Allen (maybe Melton but I think he's higher on the pole than both of those guys) but Jackson is longer, rangier and can play the 3, if not the 4 in very specific sets. If there is concern with Justise being injury prone, they may look at keeping JJ around as insurance. 

Even more reason to re-sign Josh. I'd even start him possibly in these 8 games/ scrimmages. Grayson and Konchar are available that can play the 3 if needed of the bench, and obviously Kyle as well. 

I was watching the Chris Vernon show and they suggested we could sign Gerald Green, Im ok with it.

keep bringing josh off the bench at SF backing up dillon given his size.  dillon is 6'7" and josh 6'7".  melton is only 6'2" and allen is middle ground at 6'4".  start either melton or allen at SG, so they are playing next to a 6'7" player.  allen/dillon or melton/dillon.  allen/jackson or melton/jackson.  kyle is the wildcard, i feel that jenkins is going to keep starting him at the 3 unfortunately.

Just now, Ja_Rules said:

I was watching the Chris Vernon show and they suggested we could sign Gerald Green, Im ok with it.

i don't think they can sign anyone now.  there's no need, let jackson and allen get all those minutes and konchar any mop up/garbage time minutes.