chipc3

Memphis Grizzlies vs San Antonio Spurs 8/2/20

So the way I look at it Dillon scores 20+ we usually win. He probably feels like it’s his duty to get there.

he just needs to pick and choose his shots better. 

4 minutes ago, King Dork said:

They literally hide him on the worst offensive player. Who he locking up?

6 minutes ago, King Dork said:

Steph Curry plays negative defense, multiple parades. Cause he’s surrounded by dogs. Same concept. 

Steph Curry is an excellent team defender, always in the mix, always stripping guys, always communicating. When he gets put on the worst man, he doesn't stand there and do nothing. Lavine doesn't try to do anything cause he is a terrible teammate while Steph is a great defense. Steps only defensive problems comes from his athletic limits, not being a terrible teammate. 

46 minutes ago, GTG said:

I never wants to see DB in a Grizzlies jersey again. 

Nahhh... while he was chucking... today a poster mentioned his defense... I watched - he is a pretty solid defender... just gotta be reminded that he does not have a green light to shoot. His light is dark orange - as close to red as you can get!

2 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Steph Curry is an excellent team defender, always in the mix, always stripping guys, always communicating. When he gets put on the worst man, he doesn't stand there and do nothing. Lavine doesn't try to do anything cause he is a terrible teammate while Steph is a great defense. Steps only defensive problems comes from his athletic limits, not being a terrible teammate. 

Lavine if he buys in would be absolutely wonderful here. If he can get to a serviceable level he would be all star here. The Bulls and T Wolves have not the greatest culture and have allowed players to run the teams with poor leadership. 

1 minute ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Nahhh... while he was chucking... today a poster mentioned his defense... I watched - he is a pretty solid defender... just gotta be reminded that he does not have a green light to shoot. His light is dark orange - as close to red as you can get!

Defense? You mean like the foul with 1 second on the clock that handed the game to San Antonio on a silver platter? 😂😂

4 minutes ago, grizzknob said:

You can't foul a guy shooting a jump shot on one of the last possessions.    So many sloppy mistakes today.

true. situations like today are where a young team gets experience. 

Go Leafs!!! Anyone sick of the sports overload all at once? Didn't think so.

The Dillon bashing will resume tomorrow. 

16 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Yeah but an Uber athletic mid 20's guy shouldn't be one of the worst defenders in the league. That shows he doesn't care. Not going to no parades with that mess. 

If we could get him to buy in though

2 minutes ago, QMemphis said:

Lavine if he buys in would be absolutely wonderful here. If he can get to a serviceable level he would be all star here. The Bulls and T Wolves have not the greatest culture and have allowed players to run the teams with poor leadership. 

You can't make somebody be a competitor, long term. 

I cant put into words how im feeling right now. This mods/few posters are to big of pansies to have a post describing it. Im so infuriated im attacking this board........ This is on the coaching staff just as much as brooks himself for letting him do what hes doing. The players need to be in his A$s too. You cant allow one player to be so catastrophic. You can point to many instances where the team screwed up today, but if you dont think brooks singe handedly lost us this game, you got another thing coming

2 minutes ago, GTG said:

Defense? You mean like the foul with 1 second on the clock that handed the game to San Antonio on a silver platter? 😂😂

Nahhh ... 

oh wait.

its you 

had I been a new poster I may have engaged you in a war of words and wit ...

BUT 

my experience has taught me that some are unreachable...

and with that I bid you good day

see what I did there ? 

ughhh

44 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

Can we get a mid first round draft slot for Brooks?   I would take Nesmith for him right now.

We need shooters but I would still hold on Brooks, just add guys like Nesmith and Kispert to open the lane for Ja's and Jaren's drives. Try to move picks instead and move him to the bench.

We must make a play for a lottery pick in next years draft, if we can go for Avidja, do it and we have our big 3, if not, go for Nesmith and Kispert to add shooters like I said before.

7 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Nahhh ... 

oh wait.

its you 

had I been a new poster I may have engaged you in a war of words and wit ...

BUT 

my experience has taught me that some are unreachable...

and with that I bid you good day

see what I did there ? 

ughhh

Glad to know my legacy has lived on in my absence. 😎

1 minute ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

This is what kills me.

In the end, Dillon’s critical flaw is his extremely poor shot selection, and that is, if not fixable, at least coachable. He’s not a 34 year old JR Smith who’s never going to change his game, he’s a 24 year old, 3rd season player who should still be able to improve his game.

The problem is with Jenkins’ giving the green light for everyone to shoot the ball a player like Brooks is never going to correct his shot selection. It looks to me as if Dillon truly thinks he’s doing what the coach wants by trying to get buckets every time the ball is in his hands.

So I’m putting this one on the coach and by extension the FO: do something to address Dillon’s shot selection or see his positive traits (solid defense, winning attitude) wasted as he solidifies himself as an unplayable chucker.

30 minutes ago, Ja_Rules said:

We need shooters but I would still hold on Brooks, just add guys like Nesmith and Kispert to open the lane for Ja's and Jaren's drives. Try to move picks instead and move him to the bench.

We must make a play for a lottery pick in next years draft, if we can go for Avidja, do it and we have our big 3, if not, go for Nesmith and Kispert to add shooters like I said before.

Supposedly first round picks might be available for sale this year. We can buy one and get an “upside” guy then still get Kispert (or another shooter like Markus Howard or Mason Jones or Sam Merrill) at 40 if we can’t move up for Deni Avdija (or Wiseman).  

18 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

This is what kills me.

In the end, Dillon’s critical flaw is his extremely poor shot selection, and that is, if not fixable, at least coachable. He’s not a 34 year old JR Smith who’s never going to change his game, he’s a 24 year old, 3rd season player who should still be able to improve his game.

The problem is with Jenkins’ giving the green light for everyone to shoot the ball a player like Brooks is never going to correct his shot selection. It looks to me as if Dillon truly thinks he’s doing what the coach wants by trying to get buckets every time the ball is in his hands.

So I’m putting this one on the coach and by extension the FO: do something to address Dillon’s shot selection or see his positive traits (solid defense, winning attitude) wasted as he solidifies himself as an unplayable chucker.

I dont go out of my way to point out good posts, but this one deserves it .

35 minutes ago, Crizzle said:

I cant put into words how im feeling right now. This mods/few posters are to big of pansies to have a post describing it. Im so infuriated im attacking this board........ This is on the coaching staff just as much as brooks himself for letting him do what hes doing. The players need to be in his A$s too. You cant allow one player to be so catastrophic. You can point to many instances where the team screwed up today, but if you dont think brooks singe handedly lost us this game, you got another thing coming

We were tied. So at best Dillon not screwing up gets us into OT.  

Yeah the bad part is that his foul ruined that awesome coffin corner 3 pointer by Jaren moments before.  Flashes of Reggie Miller, Bird, Durant on that thing....

-Ja Score more early on!!!!!!!!!!! Way to passive early on.

-Jaren has been great so far on both ends he is actually improving.

-Jonas stop missing easy layups and catches his hands have been like bricks in the bubble.

-Clarke miss his corner 3s you have to make those.

-Melton is a two guard  not a point guard at all.

-Allen play well his 3s were really useful.

-Kyle keeps hitting 3s.

-MISS YOU TYUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways all of our guys had issues but Dillion takes the cake I actually love how aggressive he is but he needs wait for the ball rather than making things happen.He thinks we depend on him but that's not the case at all.

-Coaching was really bad too this short rotations are killing us and his second unit combinations are just awful.

Jaren and Ja are on a mission this restart. They need help though. I think it is increasingly clear that we need another perimeter star to go with them, like LaVine, Oladipo, Hield, or perfect world Beal. 

Dillon doesn't need to be getting the minutes he's been getting. He can't create his shot consistently, he's not a particularly great 3 point shooter. He needs to be limited to transition buckets, back door cuts, and spot up 3s. Kyle played better than last game but still wasn't great. I thought he really struggled with the quickness of their smaller guards and forwards. He still does kyle things though, and made a couple of 3s, so it's progress. Honestly I think next year he just makes the most amount of sense as the point forward (like actually just running the offense) in the second unit. JV was JV.

Melton was off, but Grayson stepped up today. Having both of those guys next year would be great on that second unit. Josh didn't get hardly any minutes today and I don't know why. He could've easily taken some of Dillon's minutes. I had the thought that they're kind of hiding him a little bit to try and resign him if they can. 

We really miss Justise. He's the guy you want defending DeRozan down the stretch. He wouldn't fared better against the guards that the Spurs through at us. He needs to get and stay healthy. 

1 hour ago, grizzknob said:

You can't foul a guy shooting a jump shot on one of the last possessions.    So many sloppy mistakes today.

You can't bite on a pump fake at the 3 point line on a guy who is shooting 26% from 3 this season, 15% last season (which isn't even the worst in season percentage of his career), and 28% from 3 for his career. That's just dumb. To quote Brevin Knight, you gotta know your personal.

Dillon Brooks is not gonna change unless it is by force (i.e benched). When you say, " I gotta eat" that's not aggression or determination, that is selfishness. And ego - he wants to be the big boss man, and won't understand he ain't 

1 hour ago, costarica2 said:

-Ja Score more early on!!!!!!!!!!! Way to passive early on.

This is Mike Conley's career story too. 1/7 in the first half, Superman in the last 15 minutes.

Jaren needs more touches and be put in better situations . He has been great these last 2 games but we have to be more agressive getting him involved and he needs to be more aggresive himself. Hes not taking bad shots or being careless handling the ball/driving. We gotta unleash this kid

Spurs played great D on ja. Collapse on him every time. He needs to learn to counter and punish defenses that do this

Just look at the game. Welcome to PO mode. It seems that we are still in regular season mode. All team playhard and consistent, not our team. We play by sequence onyl and make some huge and stupid mistakes. 

It's too easy to blame only Dilon, he is not the only one who make mistake. Ja make 2 bigs mistakes in the last 2 minutes ( one where he stay like a plot in defense and one TO) who are as much costly as Dilon poor shoot selection. The main difference is that Ja is smart player and improve a lot. Dilon will on my opinion remjain the same, i don';t see him improving much. But he is a fighter and we need those king of guys. Just need to add a real shooter and we will be fine. It's the good time to learn. Hope they just not too disapointing if we finish 10.