ALT GRIND

Grizzlies Bubble Rotation. Discuss.

7 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Well Tyus has been pretty terrible as well in the scrimmages. The only two wings that have played well have been Melton and Kyle, but they probably shouldn't be playing together since neither are good offensive threats. 

We need Dillon to get hot for the restart or we are toast. 

If you start Melton at 2 and bring Dillon off the bench then you have got to give Melton a high volume role too. 

Kyle has been playing pretty darn well. I wouldn't move him to the bench, but that's just me! 

5 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

At some point Brandon Clarke is gonna have to play some 3. No better time than now.  Grayson Allen might be our only player with “legit” 2 guard skills/instincts/athleticism.   Start those two guys on the wing with Dillon as the 6th man.  Get Konchar some minutes.  Maybe even Yuta if only for hustle and defense (he’s a non-shooter too).

Why do you think Brandon has to play the three? He’s a small ball big man only in my opinion. There is nothing in his game that tells me he should be playing SF.

After two games we need JA and Tyus to get rid of the rust .

JA -needs to put a whole game together not just a few flashes here and there.

Tyus -has been awful just like the begging of the season ...I know he eventually turn it around but with 8 games there is no time for that.

10 hours ago, costarica2 said:

After two games we need JA and Tyus to get rid of the rust .

JA -needs to put a whole game together not just a few flashes here and there.

Tyus -has been awful just like the begging of the season ...I know he eventually turn it around but with 8 games there is no time for that.

There is a much longer list than just Ja and Tyus that need to improve. How about Dillon shooting below 20% from the floor and Jaren around 30%?

The big three players for the Grizzlies are shooting as follows: Ja 10-27, Jaren 7-22 and Dillon 4-21. You aren't going to beat many teams with that kind of shooting. 

What happened to Dieng? He was doing so well before the stoppage? Now, he can't get time in scrimmages. 

We will need to figure out this rotation for the playoffs. We might go 9 deep, but I now don't see us going 10 deep, and certainly not 11 deep, in the playoffs. I guess that'll depend on if Jaren can stop fouling between now and then as well. 

14 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

What happened to Dieng? He was doing so well before the stoppage? Now, he can't get time in scrimmages. 

We will need to figure out this rotation for the playoffs. We might go 9 deep, but I now don't see us going 10 deep, and certainly not 11 deep, in the playoffs. I guess that'll depend on if Jaren can stop fouling between now and then as well. 

Taylor Jenkins seems to have a good grasp on the rotations. Ja, Dillon, Kyle, Jaren and Jonas start. De'Anthony Melton, Tyus Jones and Brandon Clarke are the first three off the bench. Grayson Allen and Anthony Tolliver are the next two off the bench. Gorgui Dieng and Josh Jackson are the final two active players who fill in when players aren't performing. 

17 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

I think his and Tolliver's time will be somewhat based on the team they are playing, but I also think Dieng was one who also showed rust, and if Tolliver came back shooting better, than maybe he just won the spot.

Philly plays with bigs: Embiid, Horford, 

Houston certainly plays small, so it was tough enough to keep JV out there, much less Dieng.

Miami might be an indicator of what we will see with more Tolliver.

I'm guessing that we see Dieng in the Portland game with Whiteside, Nurkic, and Zach Collins all expected to get minutes.

8 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

With tyus hurt will Josh see more pt? Melton, Allen,  Jackson,  BC 

he has to.  melton, allen, jackson is good size in the backcourt.  then BC and either tolliver or dieng.

Eric Hasseltine believes it will be more minutes for Kyle.   He was a PG in college so not a stretch to use him as backup and give Ja more minutes.    I will be surprised if Josh gets into rotation.  Honestly i'd rather see Konchar get the PG duties. 

44 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Eric Hasseltine believes it will be more minutes for Kyle.   He was a PG in college so not a stretch to use him as backup and give Ja more minutes.    I will be surprised if Josh gets into rotation.  Honestly i'd rather see Konchar get the PG duties. 

We should keep the same starters and bring in Melton/Allen/Josh/Tolliver/Clarke as our bench unit. (Konchar and Dieng get some minutes if necessary)

9 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

With tyus hurt will Josh see more pt? Melton, Allen,  Jackson,  BC 

I expect more PT for De’Anthony and Kyle. Possibly more time for Grayson as well.

Grayson looks so good sometimes. I just wish his shot would fall more

2 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

Grayson looks so good sometimes. I just wish his shot would fall more

I like Allen, and to tell the truth healthy is not allowing him to be a major factor here. Yesterday for sure he should have player more, the Ja/Melton/Allen/Clarke/Jaren lineup is what brought us back in the game. 

Also I see Allen more of a combo guard that could play some pg and a small ball 3, sometimes than Melton, who is more of a small sg with role player or glue guy starter potential. Allen is more versatile than Melton, but we should keep and use them both in my opinion.

On 8/1/2020 at 2:29 PM, Ja_Rules said:

I like Allen, and to tell the truth healthy is not allowing him to be a major factor here. Yesterday for sure he should have player more, the Ja/Melton/Allen/Clarke/Jaren lineup is what brought us back in the game. 

Also I see Allen more of a combo guard that could play some pg and a small ball 3, sometimes than Melton, who is more of a small sg with role player or glue guy starter potential. Allen is more versatile than Melton, but we should keep and use them both in my opinion.

Agree 100%

I think we're at the point where Grayson needs to be starting. He seems to understand his role a little better than Dillon, and his 3 point shot has been falling. 

Dillon needs a wake up call. I love his intensity, but he's dragging the whole team down with his offense and fouling. Maybe a move to the bench ignites him. 

We also miss Justise so so so bad. He's the person best equipped to deal with Ingram, etc (or Josh, but he's in the doghouse or something). Kyle tries hard, but if teams go small he's out of his element. That, plus he just can't score. He's just not athletic enough to get to the rim or finish when he does. 

38 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

I think we're at the point where Grayson needs to be starting. He seems to understand his role a little better than Dillon, and his 3 point shot has been falling. 

Dillon needs a wake up call. I love his intensity, but he's dragging the whole team down with his offense and fouling. Maybe a move to the bench ignites him. 

We also miss Justise so so so bad. He's the person best equipped to deal with Ingram, etc (or Josh, but he's in the doghouse or something). Kyle tries hard, but if teams go small he's out of his element. That, plus he just can't score. He's just not athletic enough to get to the rim or finish when he does. 

We can't miss what we never had.

And Justise, like all these other guys, isn't a good shooter.

We need shooting on the floor, and we need it now. More Tolliver, more Dieng, more Graysen. I'm over defensive players like Anderson and Melton. The trade-off from poor shooting and lack of floor space is not overcome by defense. Tony Allen was the best perimeter defender in the league and even his lack of shooting could kill us in big games.

We are getting torched defensively anyway.

We need to hit buckets. Our first and second quarter is killing us. 

After back to back solid games for Grayson Allen, I think it is time to let him start. Dillon becomes the backup 3, where his defense and offense should become more effective. Grayson is pretty much the only player who can shoot from 3 right now. 

https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2020/8/4/21353652/deanthony-melton-has-a-basketball-jones-tyus-nba-memphis-grizzlies-orlando-bubble-morant-playoffs

Good article detailing Melton's struggles. He essentially is really missing Tyus. I think the main thing for him is he just isn't a point guard. He's better off the ball on offense and on defense. He's potentially one of the best off ball defenders in the league, creating havoc in passing lanes and creating turnovers. Offensively, he's much better as a secondary play maker and in transition/ and with timely offensive rebounds. It is much harder to do that while being the primary ball handler. While Tyus remains out, he needs to be playing with Ja even more. Kyle can be the backup point. 

2 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2020/8/4/21353652/deanthony-melton-has-a-basketball-jones-tyus-nba-memphis-grizzlies-orlando-bubble-morant-playoffs

Good article detailing Melton's struggles. He essentially is really missing Tyus. I think the main thing for him is he just isn't a point guard. He's better off the ball on offense and on defense. He's potentially one of the best off ball defenders in the league, creating havoc in passing lanes and creating turnovers. Offensively, he's much better as a secondary play maker and in transition/ and with timely offensive rebounds. It is much harder to do that while being the primary ball handler. While Tyus remains out, he needs to be playing with Ja even more. Kyle can be the backup point. 

Agreed. He's still the same guy that was doing the hustle plays earlier but he can't work as well without Tyus/a real PG beside him.

I agree Grayson should start but i wouldn't bench Dillon.   Just move Kyle to backup PG and slide Dillon down to the 3.    Starting unit needs spacing and keeping Kyle there doesn't provide that. 

Ja/Kyle

Grayson/Melton

Dillon/Josh

Brandon/Tolliver

Jonas/Dieng

3 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I agree Grayson should start but i wouldn't bench Dillon.   Just move Kyle to backup PG and slide Dillon down to the 3.    Starting unit needs spacing and keeping Kyle there doesn't provide that. 

Ja/Kyle

Grayson/Melton

Dillon/Josh

Jaren/Brandon

Jonas/Dieng

Replace Jaren with Tolliver