8. Dinwiddie, Spencer         Brooklyn Nets

SYMPTOM FREE

1.  Gobert, Rudy                   Utah Jazz

2.  Mitchell, Donovan          Utah Jazz

3.  Smart, Marcus               Boston Celtics

4.  Wood, Christian            Detroit Pistons

5.  Durant, Kevin                Brooklyn Nets

ANONYMOUS

1.  Three unnamed members of organization, Philadelphia 76ers -- Diagnosis announced on March 19

2.  Two unnamed players, Los Angeles Lakers -- Diagnosis reported on March 19 

3.  Four unnamed players, unnamed Western Conference team -- Diagnosis reported on June 23

4.  Two unnamed players, Phoenix Suns -- Diagnosis reported on June 23

While it is horrible that anyone has contacted this disease, it isn't working out to bad for the Grizzlies right now. Gobert and Mitchell will likely be cleared to play but the Kings are taking it on the chin with three decent players having it and Jokic for the Nuggets is a huge loss. 

3 hours ago, chipc3 said:

While it is horrible that anyone has contacted this disease, it isn't working out to bad for the Grizzlies right now. Gobert and Mitchell will likely be cleared to play but the Kings are taking it on the chin with three decent players having it and Jokic for the Nuggets is a huge loss. 

Other than some conditioning issues, they should be ready to go with plenty of time to go before the season resumes. Honestly better to get it out of the way now if you're going to get it (assuming there is some type of immunity from the virus). Like i said though, plenty of time to go before the season starts. 

15 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Other than some conditioning issues, they should be ready to go with plenty of time to go before the season resumes. Honestly better to get it out of the way now if you're going to get it (assuming there is some type of immunity from the virus). Like i said though, plenty of time to go before the season starts. 

I have not seen anything to suggest this is a one and done type of virus. Just like I haven't seen it go dormant in warmer weather or that social distancing is eliminating the virus. 

A lot of predictions about what will happen have been wrong and continue to be wrong. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

I have not seen anything to suggest this is a one and done type of virus. Just like I haven't seen it go dormant in warmer weather or that social distancing is eliminating the virus. 

A lot of predictions about what will happen have been wrong and continue to be wrong. 

Social distancing, used in conjunction with other measures, has actually effectively eliminated the virus in many other countries.  It's just that here in the U.S. in most cases, we didn't social distance for nearly long enough, or early enough, or even at all in certain places, not to mention we have a certain someone in charge who was trying to write it off as a 'hoax made up to hurt his reelection chances,' which is why the EU is considering banning Americans from traveling there until we get our ish together.  

1 minute ago, BnaBreaker said:

Social distancing, used in conjunction with other measures, has actually effectively eliminated the virus in many other countries.  It's just that here in the U.S. in most cases, we didn't social distance for nearly long enough, or early enough, or even at all in certain places, not to mention we have a certain someone in charge who was trying to write it off as a 'hoax made up to hurt his reelection chances,' which is why the EU is considering banning Americans from traveling there until we get our ish together.  

I don't know about elsewhere but I know it hasn't worked here. 

From what I understand, the social distancing was never meant as a cure anyway. It was meant to prevent our hospital system from collapsing from over demand of services. Social distancing hasn't eliminated the disease anywhere. It has simply saved hospitals from becoming over crowded. 

I could be wrong however. Can you tell me what countries have eliminated the virus so I can do more research? 

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

From what I understand, the social distancing was never meant as a cure anyway. It was meant to prevent our hospital system from collapsing from over demand of services. Social distancing hasn't eliminated the disease anywhere. It has simply saved hospitals from becoming over crowded. 

I could be wrong however. Can you tell me what countries have eliminated the virus so I can do more research? 

He said "effectively eliminated" - South Korea is one example of a country that saw a surge, locked down, flattened the curve, and then maintained rigorous social distancing and contact tracing protocols. There are others - New Zealand, Japan, etc. Hell, most countries have figured it out.

Meanwhile we're over here with people not even wearing masks when they're indoors unable to socially distance from others. Compare our graph to others and it makes you wonder whether we can call ourselves the most developed nation in the world with a straight face.

30 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

He said "effectively eliminated" - South Korea is one example of a country that saw a surge, locked down, flattened the curve, and then maintained rigorous social distancing and contact tracing protocols. There are others - New Zealand, Japan, etc. Hell, most countries have figured it out.

Meanwhile we're over here with people not even wearing masks when they're indoors unable to socially distance from others. Compare our graph to others and it makes you wonder whether we can call ourselves the most developed nation in the world with a straight face.

First off, I haven't said the US is the most developed country. 

Second, if I am not mistaken South Korea is in the midst of a second wave of infections right now

Third, I am not confusing this country with others. The USA is a different breed and we treasure (or should I say treasured) our personal freedoms. New Zealand doesn't have the traffic or congestion the USA has. The USA can't take the same approach as New Zealand.  

Japan is a very interesting situation. I quote Science magazine on how Japan is crediting their approach to the virus:

Japan yesterday declared at least a temporary victory in its battle with COVID-19, and it triumphed by following its own playbook. It drove down the number of daily new cases to near target levels of 0.5 per 100,000 people with voluntary and not very restrictive social distancing and without large-scale testing. Instead, the country focused on finding clusters of infections and attacking the underlying causes, which often proved to be overcrowded gathering spots such as gyms and nightclubs.

I would support such an approach here but our experts said it was best to not wear masks, then wear masks and to close society down entirely rather than attacking the clusters of infections and attacking the underlying causes. Somehow I don't believe your examples disprove my premise that social distancing hasn't worked here. 

FInally, I apologize to BnaBreaker for leaving off the word 'effectively' when asking for examples of countries that have eliminated the virus. I don't know how you quantify effectively eliminate however.Let me be clear, I am not supporting what the USA has advised or practiced in their containment attempts. I just don't believe we are going to beat this thing. People aren't becoming immune after catching the virus. If, and it is a big if in my opinion, a vaccine can be discovered people have to expect to only be as effective as the flu vaccine is now. It won't eliminate the virus. I believe the more testing the USA does the more we will realize the virus isn't as deadly as first feared and if you aren't a high risk person you will most likely be recover with no side effects but these attempts at beating it are misplaced. We haven't even reached the fall second wave time frame yet. What happens if these countries that locked everyone down see an uptick again when they release everyone like South Korea is seeing?   

This is a good explanation of the terms for social distancing, self quarantine, isolation and flattening the curve. It is important to note that at no time do any of these actions equate to eliminating, effectively or not,  the threat of the virus. 

55 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I agree that it hasn't worked in most places here, but the reason it hasn't worked for the most part is because we aren't doing it correctly or for a long enough duration, is my point.  It was working, because the curves nationwide were clearly starting to flatten, but then we collectively decided that we were going to pretend it was over and go on as normal.  And hey, that might be a strategy worth pursuing, like you said, telling the high risk people to be careful and let everyone else live life normally.  But I'm just saying that it has worked in every place that it was actually allowed to be seen through long enough to actually bring the rate of infection down to a manageable level.

You're right, it was initially intended mostly as a way to prevent our hospitals from being overwhelmed.  But it was being used as such because given what we know about how viral infections spread, we knew it would be an effective way to slow the spread or, flatten the curve.  Extrapolating that out over the course of time, if the virus had no new hosts to spread to, then it would effectively die out.  Of course, this would have caused more economic harm, and that is certainly a balancing act that should be debated because there aren't any perfect outcomes by any means.  But social distancing works, because eliminating the number of viable hosts for it to spread to is how you kill a virus, and that is one way to achieve that.  

I'm not sure that any nations have eliminated it outright as of yet, but that's why I said "effectively" eliminated (and no apology necessary my friend, I certainly don't have all the answers by any means.)  And by that I mean places that have slowed the rate of infection to such a low level that it can be essentially managed until it does, hopefully, disappear.  This requires not only social distancing, but also large scale testing and a large scale system of quickly quarantining individuals so we know who has it and know we can isolate them with minimal exposure to others.  Of course, once again, our leadership fails this test miserably as well because the man in charge has said recently that he thinks we should actually DECREASE testing because he thinks higher numbers hurt him politically.  Ugh.  I won't go down that rabbit hole because I could rant for hours there and this is not the place.

As for countries who have effectively eliminated (or maybe saying effectively managed would be a better choice of words on my part) there are more and more with every passing week it seems.  You can go to google and search for "covid 19 infection by country" and it will bring up a chart you can play with and input different locations to compare.  But just to give you an example, France (which enjoys personal freedom as well) is down to 81 reported cases per day as of June 24.  Not gone completely, but reduced to a level where they can manage the spread and keep a lid on it.  The United States, by contrast, recorded 37,945 new cases on that same day, and that number is only increasing.  Not good.  

5 hours ago, chipc3 said:

A lot of predictions about what will happen have been wrong and continue to be wrong. 

I have seen an interview with Dr. Delores Cahill (from Ireland), where she states that once you fight off a covid infection, then you are immune for life. Her credentials dwarf Fauchi/Birx. She has worked in the field for decades and before she retired, she owned and ran her own level 4 bio lab. You can do a YouTube search for her, she has several videos online. Btw, many people have been infected worldwide and have recovered, and I have yet to hear of anyone in that group get covid a second time. Time will tell.

One of my big takeaways from the pandemic is that a lot of the so-called experts have seriously undermined their credibility. So much conflicting information, prediction models way off the mark and other gaffes. Plus, you can't ignore their blatant hypocrisy when they said that you can't get together with friends for a BBQ, but it's ok to have protests with thousands of other people with zero social distancing and most of them not wearing masks. Was the CDC or any politicians freaking out and telling protesters that this was dangerous? Nothing ... crickets. For the record, I support peaceful protesting. But I don't support hypocrisy. 

As far as the number of covid cases spiking in some areas, that should have been expected due to ever increasing testing, re-opening of businesses and the hundreds of thousands of people out protesting. The good news, so far, is that deaths are not spiking in tandem with the numbers of new cases. The other good news, sort of, is that now that we have a lot of data, it continues to show (like we knew months ago) that the most at risk people are the elderly (~70+ y.o. with underlying serious illness). So, anybody not in that group is probably going to be just fine. You might get sick for a week or two, but hey, who hasn't experienced cold or flu symptoms at some time in their life. It sucks, but life goes on. The majority of healthy people getting covid don't even experience any symptoms. 

Lastly, for extra protection for the upcoming flu season, make sure your vitamin D levels are in the normal range. Ask your doctor for a vitamin D test (a blood test) and it will tell you on the test results whether or not you are in the normal range. Vitamin D helps to keep your immune system strong so you can naturally fight off covid or any other flu/virus/cold. If you are low in vitamin D you can try to get more sunshine or use vitamin D3 supplements. I have been supplementing with vitamin D3 (the "3" is important) at 5,000 I.U.'s per day for about 9 years. I have had zero colds/flu in the last 9 years and knock on wood, haven't had any covid/flu/cold symptoms during the pandemic. I have never had a "flu shot" and have never worn a mask. Stay healthy guys. Only 5 weeks left to go before game time!!! Can't wait to see Ja, JJJ, JV and the rest rest of the crew back in action. Go Grizzlies.     

1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Yep. good ole "muh persnal freeduhms". Americans have been using that as an excuse for decades, well centuries really:

I mean, Americans fought against seatbelts being mandatory: The Surprisingly Controversial History Of Seat Belts

Wearing seat belts is a pretty trivial inconvenience and it can save your life. Just makes sense. Just don't get me started on forced mandatory vaccines, which is a completely different ball game.

1 hour ago, GameOn said:

Wearing seat belts is a pretty trivial inconvenience and it can save your life. Just makes sense. Just don't get me started on forced mandatory vaccines, which is a completely different ball game.

Who said anything about forced mandatory vaccines? I'm comparing wearing a seatbelt to wearing a mask/face covering. The point is people whined and moaned about seatbelts. They felt it was their right to die flying through a windshield if they wanted to. In 2020, you are saying it makes common sense but back when they were making the laws mandatory, there were many people screaming that it's infringing on their personal freedoms and is government overreach. Now 50 years later, the overall majority of people think like you, it makes common sense. The parallel is with the mask, not mandatory vaccines. Have no idea where that came from. 

8 hours ago, chipc3 said:

New Zealand declared it last month.

Australia was not far from it until a current recent spike in Melbourne.

Social distancing, closing the borders, including state borders and strict enforcement did actually work.

Wearing masks should never be equated to a banner of support for a political party

8 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Political persuasions aside, this post is 100% correct

3 hours ago, GameOn said:

I have seen an interview with Dr. Delores Cahill (from Ireland), where she states that once you fight off a covid infection, then you are immune for life. Her credentials dwarf Fauchi/Birx. She has worked in the field for decades and before she retired, she owned and ran her own level 4 bio lab. You can do a YouTube search for her, she has several videos online. Btw, many people have been infected worldwide and have recovered, and I have yet to hear of anyone in that group get covid a second time. Time will tell.

I have heard that a number of scientists have claimed that the immune respose illicited is quite variable and a number of cases of people infected now having undetectable levels of antibody. I think it was published in Lancet. In any case, it certainly not like measles, mumps, chicken pox.

One of my big takeaways from the pandemic is that a lot of the so-called experts have seriously undermined their credibility. So much conflicting information, prediction models way off the mark and other gaffes. Plus, you can't ignore their blatant hypocrisy when they said that you can't get together with friends for a BBQ, but it's ok to have protests with thousands of other people with zero social distancing and most of them not wearing masks. Was the CDC or any politicians freaking out and telling protesters that this was dangerous? Nothing ... crickets. For the record, I support peaceful protesting. But I don't support hypocrisy.

From a epidemiology and public health persective, it is very hard to argue against this. Social and political crises like the one mentioned were always likely to impede the progess of this public health policy

As far as the number of covid cases spiking in some areas, that should have been expected due to ever increasing testing, re-opening of businesses and the hundreds of thousands of people out protesting. The good news, so far, is that deaths are not spiking in tandem with the numbers of new cases. The other good news, sort of, is that now that we have a lot of data, it continues to show (like we knew months ago) that the most at risk people are the elderly (~70+ y.o. with underlying serious illness). So, anybody not in that group is probably going to be just fine. You might get sick for a week or two, but hey, who hasn't experienced cold or flu symptoms at some time in their life. It sucks, but life goes on. The majority of healthy people getting covid don't even experience any symptoms. 

No this is incorrect. Incresing or decreasing testing does not affect morbidity. Hospital admissions is a much better indicator of containment progress. This has spiked in a large number of states, and as symptoms can take upto 14-21 days to manifest itself into an ICU admission, its still too early to tell.

Lastly, for extra protection for the upcoming flu season, make sure your vitamin D levels are in the normal range. Ask your doctor for a vitamin D test (a blood test) and it will tell you on the test results whether or not you are in the normal range. Vitamin D helps to keep your immune system strong so you can naturally fight off covid or any other flu/virus/cold. If you are low in vitamin D you can try to get more sunshine or use vitamin D3 supplements. I have been supplementing with vitamin D3 (the "3" is important) at 5,000 I.U.'s per day for about 9 years. I have had zero colds/flu in the last 9 years and knock on wood, haven't had any covid/flu/cold symptoms during the pandemic. I have never had a "flu shot" and have never worn a mask. Stay healthy guys. Only 5 weeks left to go before game time!!! Can't wait to see Ja, JJJ, JV and the rest rest of the crew back in action. Go Grizzlies.     

CDC just recently said they think the actual amount of cases are 10x higher than what is being reported. 

https://news.yahoo.com/cdc-says-covid-19-cases-172827142.html

Means the death rate is also 10x less (even with admittedly inflated numbers by their own admissions). 

It is still something to take seriously, but COVID isn't going to be the end of the world. Once we find an effective treatment deaths will fall even further, and we can return to normal. 

21 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

The best, easiest solution is to have an area where nobody enters an area without having received a negative test and quarantined.  Those entering the area are frequently tested, not allowed to leave, and there is little interaction between those within that area and those outside the area.

This is the Orlando bubble situation. And anybody who enters it is still safer than where they were living if they are like most 20-35 yo's.

The infection rate around Orlando is so trivial at this time because they aren't out "living" in Orlando. They are isolated in Orlando.

Yeah 16 out of the 302 players isn't bad at all. If there was a massive outbreak within the NBA that could've jeopardize things. 

19 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Yep. good ole "muh persnal freeduhms". Americans have been using that as an excuse for decades, well centuries really:

I mean, Americans fought against seatbelts being mandatory: The Surprisingly Controversial History Of Seat Belts

It's because there are too many stupid people that need to be told what is best for them. Some actually want to be lorded over. 

It's also easy to mock personal freedoms when you have them. What about smoking? Smoking will shorten your life, at the least. Do you need/want a law directing you to not smoke or are you smart enough to do what is best for you, especially when it is a simple matter of choice? The smart person does not smoke by their own choice. The feeble minded demands a law that prevent themselves from smoking. 

What about drug laws? It is beyond reasonable belief that anyone would inject drugs into themselves. I don't need a law telling me not to do something so stupid, yet there are laws against it and still stupid people still inject themselves. 

Anyone that willingly gives up freedoms is weak minded. People need to think for themselves. A (D) or an (R) that is attached to a politicians name does not preclude them from corruption. Nearly all of the law makers are corrupt, and I for one am not fool enough to turn over ANY freedoms to corrupt politicians.