I❤️JV

ORLANDO BUBBLE

Sooo....how did Jonas "the Magnificent" spend his summers?......pretty similar every summer since he was 16 (U16 U18)....When season ends he goes fishing...after that 4/5 weeks training camp with Lithuania national team ...friendly games and after that Olympics/world cup/Euros/ tourney for a month locked up in a hotels in a strange country in the best shape of the year trying to win a medal for his country....Most Euro players will have an advantage because they use to do "Orlando Bubble" every summer.

Who else will have an advantage?....young players....our whole team....Young guys love to hoop and BB is still fun for them ....for the veterans it is more a job than fun.

Who will have a disadvantage?....

1. Older vets who did nothing and just relaxed.

2. Free agents after this season who already had a decent season probably going to sit this one out.

3. Players like Tatum, Adebayo, Fox, Mitchell and.....hmm Kuzma.... are due max extensions (or some extension in Kuzma's case) going to take it easy/er.

4. Some players couldn't care less about hoops with BLM going on. I do really care about BLM movement, disgusted with white privilege and feel outraged about US racist police/justice system....still i would be disappointed if any Grizz player refuses to play because of that. Orlando bubble will be perfect stage for taking a knee and exposing the ugly underbelly of the oppression intimidation and injustices to our black brothers and sisters. NBA will do everything it can to help with BLM message

....hope ppl will vote racist republicans out....disband the police ....pass some laws against police immunity....still ...dumb uneducated rednecks will never change. 

NBA BUBBLE (some information from 113-page health-and-safety protocol for Orlando)

Phase 1 (June 12-22)
Location: Players who are currently outside of the United States should have returned to their team’s home market by June 15 and all other players must return to their team’s home market by June 22 for mandatory testing beginning on June 23. The only exception is the Toronto Raptors, who, due to quarantine and travel issues in Canada, will travel directly to Naples, Fla., and use the Alico Arena in Florida Gulf Coast University as their practice facility.

Phase 2 (June 23-30)
Location: Team practice facility (except for Toronto Raptors)

– Consistent with Phase 1, players are expected to remain at home with their household members, only leaving for essential activities.

– Teams will begin mandatory COVID-19 testing of all players and staff.

– Testing will consist of a shallow nasal swab and oral swab (COVID-19 PCR test) and a blood draw (serology/antibody test). The long (nasopharyngeal) swab that has been reported to cause discomfort will not be used.

– Players may also volunteer to participate in a Yale University study that has the goal of developing a saliva-based test for the coronavirus.

– If a player or a household member is feeling sick or has any symptoms associated with COVID-19, they must report symptoms to the team’s medical staff and follow the guidance provided by the staff. These symptoms include fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, unusual muscle pain, headache, new loss of sense of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, other flu like symptoms or dizziness.

Player nonparticipation:

– Non-participating players who are either “excused” or “protected” will not have their salary reduced as a result of their non-participation.

– The salary of any other player who chooses not to participate will be reduced by 1/92.6 for each game that the player misses, with a maximum reduction of 14/92.6.- “Protected Players” are those players whose team believes they are at a higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19. If his team does not designate the player as higher risk, a player may still be excused and not have his salary reduced.

“Excused Players” are those players who a panel of three medical experts determines to have a higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19.

– If a player wishes to request to be “Excused,” he must notify his team and the NBPA no later than June 25.

Phase 3 (July 1-9/10/11)
Location: Team practice facility (except for Toronto Raptors)

– Individual workouts mandatory for all players.

– Group workouts are still prohibited for medical reasons and no more than eight players will be permitted in the team’s facility at any one time.

– Head coaches may now participate in and observe individual workouts.

Phase 4.A (July 7-11)

– Teams will take either a chartered flight or bus to Orlando on a staggered basis over July 7 through 9 to begin team activities.

– Upon arrival, players and team staff must stay isolated in their rooms until they return two negative PCR tests at least 24 hours apart.

– Players will have the option to wear a proximity alarm that will notify a player if he spends more than 5 seconds within 6 feet of another person on campus who is also wearing an alarm.

– All team and league staff (potentially excluding referees) must wear the alarm; it is optional for players.

– Certain Disney staff will not be required to reside at the NBA Campus and will not undergo coronavirus testing, however they will be screened each day on campus to take their temperature and for symptoms.

– Everyone on the NBA Campus will be required to wear a facemask at all times, except when eating, in their individual rooms, during a workout or while engaged in a physical activity outdoors that is not within 6 feet of another person (e.g., swimming, reading a book alone).

– Physical distancing protocol of 6 feet or more should be respected at all times except during team workouts and when team health and performance staff is working with a player.

– Players will also have the option of wearing an Oura smart ring that may help with the early detection of the coronavirus and will track temperature, respiratory and heart rate and other measures.

– Effective July 7, random anti-drug testing will resume but only for SPEDs and Diuretics. No testing will be done for recreational substances, but players remain subject to discipline for possession or use of prohibited recreational substances. (Note: Recreational use of marijuana is not legal in the state of Florida.)

Phase 4.B (July 9/10/11 – July 21)

– Teams may engage in group workouts, practices, weight training, meetings and other team activities.

– In addition to group workouts, players will be permitted to conduct individual off and on-court workouts or drills, under the supervision of team staff.

– COVID-19 testing will continue with regular PCR testing, daily temperature checks, symptom surveys and pulse oximetry (finger clip device to measure oxygen levels) screening.

– At all times on the court, players must avoid spitting or clearing their nose, wiping the ball with their jersey, licking their hands, and unnecessarily touching their mouthguard.

– After the initial self-isolation through July 21, players may eat meals and participate in social activities (ping-pong, golf, video games, card games, etc.) only with individuals residing within their hotel, provided that they maintain physical distancing.

– Until July 21, players are requested to have only brief interactions with players residing in other hotels that are encountered in common areas of the NBA Campus.

– Any meal eaten with a player on another team must be eaten outside.

– Players are not permitted to enter each other’s hotel rooms due to infection concerns.

– Disney chefs will prepare daily meals and there will also be a room service option. Subject to a few exceptions, food deliveries from outside of the NBA Campus are not permitted.

– At his own expense, a player is permitted to hire a personal chef located outside of the NBA Campus to prepare and send food into the NBA Campus on a daily basis.

– No one will be prevented from leaving the NBA Campus, but the expectation is that all players will remain on the campus.

– The NBA Campus includes the several hotels housing players and staff, the Wide World of Sports complex, separate practice courts, and various other auxiliary sites established like a golf course or medical facility.

– If a player leaves without prior approval, upon re-entry he will be subject to enhanced testing (including nasopharyngeal (deep nasal) swab testing), a 10-14 day self-quarantine period, and a reduction in compensation for any game in which he is unable to play as a result of his absence from campus

Phase 5 (July 22-29)

– Teams will play three scrimmage games against other NBA teams residing in their same hotel.

– From July 22 until the end of the 2019-20 season, players are permitted to socialize with players and team staff from hotels other than the one in which they are residing. As before, players are not permitted to enter each other’s hotel rooms due to infection concerns.

Phase 6 (July 30-Oct. 13)

– Teams will play 8 “seeding” games to conclude the 2019-20 regular season, followed by a play-in tournament (if necessary) for the 8th seed in each conference, and the traditional 16-team, 4-round, 7-game NBA Playoffs.

– Upon completion of each team’s season, the team will immediately depart the NBA Campus.

– For each player to leave the NBA Campus, he must have returned a negative PCR result within 24 hours of his scheduled departure.

Player Guests:

– Each team that advances past the first round of the playoffs will be permitted to reserve up to 17 (if the team brings 17 players and down to 15 if it brings only 15 players) guest rooms for guests of players on the NBA Campus.

– Players are responsible for the cost of each hotel room used for a player guest; the costs of meals and testing for player guests will not be charged to players.

– All player guests must undergo three days of self-quarantine and testing either in a house or hotel in the team’s home market or in Orlando outside of the NBA Campus.

– Assuming that the player guest does not return a positive PCR test, then the player guest may then come to the NBA Campus, but must remain in quarantine for four days after arrival while having COVID-19 testing each of those days.

– Agents are not eligible, unless he or she is a family member of a player.

– Player guests who leave the NBA Campus will not be permitted to return.

NBA also informed its teams on Tuesday that they will stay in these Disney hotels, based upon current conference positioning:

Gran Destino: Bucks, Lakers, Raptors, Clippers, Celtics, Nuggets, Jazz, Heat
 Grand Floridian: Thunder, 76ers, Rockets, Pacers, Mavericks, Nets, Grizzlies, Magic
 Yacht Club: Blazers, Kings, Pelicans, Spurs, Suns, Wizards

On 6/17/2020 at 10:30 AM, Crizzle said:

that list of rules and guide lines is bonkers. I would not be psyched about staying in disney

Yeah.  Not sure how micro-management will work out with a bunch of millionaires.  Personally, I expect lots of violations (although the NBA will be very hush-hush about it).  Let's see if the NBA is into enforcement, or will it be selective enforcement / star-treatment-based?  It's easy to make rules.  It's no fun to enforce them.

My guess is the NBA players and management will be like many of the businesses and employees I've been viewing since the re-opening.  At first, it was highly restrictive, and employees were extremely cautious (which is good), and with each passing day/week, they get looser on the masks(pull them down or put them away), the social distancing, and other precautions.  I'm not saying that's good or bad, but just human nature.  It's no different from me when I get a new (to me) vehicle, super protective at first with no drinks or food in it and you better have clean shoes, but 2 weeks later, I'm picking the kids up from the park with mud all over them and their spilling their Happy Meals I bought them in the back seats.

I would take that over some of the cities that are spiking right now. 

It's a lot of rules but if everyone can follow them then they would be pretty safe. 

9 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

My guess is the NBA players and management will be like many of the businesses and employees I've been viewing since the re-opening.  At first, it was highly restrictive, and employees were extremely cautious (which is good), and with each passing day/week, they get looser on the masks(pull them down or put them away), the social distancing, and other precautions.  I'm not saying that's good or bad, but just human nature.  It's no different from me when I get a new (to me) vehicle, super protective at first with no drinks or food in it and you better have clean shoes, but 2 weeks later, I'm picking the kids up from the park with mud all over them and their spilling their Happy Meals I bought them in the back seats.

Hard to be perfect man. Life gets in the way.

These are extremely strict rules. Even the nuns, after reading this, are going like ... WTF?

"NBA Refs will not be required to wear masks, sources say." However, they will continue to wear their blindfolds, as usual. 

As much as I love NBA basketball - IF they can’t get things together well enough to afford us -the fans- with real quality basketball ... I would rather they wait / Shift the start the season and get back rolling with a fresh season and healthy players.

I don’t quite know how to put it but I hope y’all can understand what I mean...

Kelly Oubre is out for the Suns apparently. That effectively ends their season. I don't think we get to play them though, so it doesn't necessarily help us. 

9 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

As much as I love NBA basketball - IF they can’t get things together well enough to afford us -the fans- with real quality basketball ... I would rather they wait / Shift the start the season and get back rolling with a fresh season and healthy players.

I don’t quite know how to put it but I hope y’all can understand what I mean...

The thing is, I think they need this mini-season so that they can have something going in December.

If they can't pull off an 8 game season with 20 teams in August, plus playoffs in an Orlando bubble, I think next season could be in jeopardy too.  I'm not at all a MLB fan, I'm pretty apathetic basically, but I want MLB, NBA, WNBA etc to get going when safe enough so that NCAA and NFL can get going in September, and those need to go well so that the NBA can get going in December/January.

Next season (in almost all sports) is still in jeopardy.

This whole idea is stupid and just a publicity stunt by Silver who’s trying to make a name for himself. Just forget it and start focusing on the 20/21 season. Nobody wants to see this social science experiment where the quality on the court is going to be compromised either way. 

Have the players agreed to play?

And I'm not talking about bench guys, has LeBron, Harden, Giannis, & Co. agreed to play?

13 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

And I'm not talking about bench guys, has LeBron, Harden, Giannis, & Co. agreed to play?

Well ... nah

And their ‘silence’ is deafening!

42 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Well ... nah

And their ‘silence’ is deafening!

Yeah that's my point.

Unless they agree, there won't be any play. They have the power, not the Commish, not the owners

On 6/18/2020 at 6:14 PM, BigHunkALove said:

My understanding is that every seriously discussed move was going through Chris Paul and the NBAPA. I don't know how much the players were tuning into those conversations, and I thought part of the difference between the NBA and MLB was that the NBAPA was so heavily involved in everything.

I don't think much of the COVID stuff should be a surprise to the players, although I bet many are a lot like us that we don't really pay attention when people are asking for feedback.  George Floyd's senseless death changed the situation from where the original discussions were, but I don't feel like the COVID19 stuff should have been a huge surprise.

Winslow was complaining about both the bubble seclusion and the safety yesterday. You can't have both. If you want safety, you have to have the bubble, if you want your family and to do want you want, you have to sacrifice the safety aspect. I know for a fact that a lot of these players aren't properly distancing in their home towns anyway. Just look at Ja, or lebron and Ben Simmons playing pickup in crowded gyms. They clearly don't care that much. Not only that, but I'm sure they probably still go to restaurants and stuff like that. Now, I'm sure plenty of players are completely distance themselves as well. 

To me it's just disingenuous to say they don't care about us getting COVID, and in the next breath complain about the rules inside the bubble. They put strict rules and testing to prevent COVID inside the bubble. That means they are trying to prevent the spread and protect players. His only good point was about letting the Disney employees go in and out of the bubble. Fair point, but they will be tested and wear masks as well. No different (and even safer) then the general public. 

On 6/19/2020 at 8:21 AM, BigHunkALove said:

Yeah that's my point.

Unless they agree, there won't be any play. They have the power, not the Commish, not the owners

The owners don’t have to pay them and can suspend them and replace them with other players. That way the owners get the money from TV and don’t have to pay the players. 

It would Be very risky and mean using scabs but it worked for the NFL once.

I'm not worry about the stars playing. Lebron or Giannis are in great position to win championship and they wil be here. The Covid issue is manageable with all the rules set up. This is what we do in normal life here ( Temp control, mask, gel, ..) and it works well. The social situation is more problematic. I can understand the point of some players telling that playing basketball is actually not a priority. But they also can use their positions to deliver stong messages against racisms. Player have to go in the bubble in the next days, so we will know. Go Grizz !!!

If they don’t or won’t play this summer, I frankly don’t care if they ever come back.i haven’t missed a day of work thru this. 

13 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I remember the replacement reffs... 

Cant remember if they had players too...

So if they don't play, not only do they lose this season, if they have to go to negotiation on a new CBA, who knows when a season will start?

And this can't be mentioned enough: There is no guarantees that things will be better in October or  November or December or whenever the next season is supposed to start.  

23 hours ago, chipc3 said:

The owners don’t have to pay them and can suspend them and replace them with other players. That way the owners get the money from TV and don’t have to pay the players. 

Idk how likely this is... who are they going to get?

20 hours ago, Jetfixer said:

If they don’t or won’t play this summer, I frankly don’t care if they ever come back.i haven’t missed a day of work thru this. 

I have not missed more than a day of work either, however perspective is critical.

These guys did not have any control over whether they worked or not.