Grizzled Vet

So, on return, how will the minutes be divided

Is Grayson Allen back? Is everybody really healthy? If so, and everybody mash well together, we might have a chance. Yeah, Im talking about taking LA out. 

On 6/4/2020 at 10:54 AM, costarica2 said:

I was going to say we should go super young and run all over the place but almost everyone in the roster is able to do that.JV is clearly the curve ball we are gonna need him in some games because he is a match up problem.

Kyle Anderson is a big question for me especially with Winslow coming back.

JV is somebody you can only play at certain times in certain matchups. It's why Toronto moved him for Gasol, who can play regardless of who is on the floor

22 minutes ago, Dwash said:

No need to play Slomo anymore even though they will. 

yep. We basically need a shortened rotation 9 man, not an 11 man rotation.

Ja, Dillon, Clarke, Allen, JJJ, JV, Dieng, Winslow, Josh Jackson/Melton

14 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

I like Melton over Allen at this point.  Defense will always be there. Allen is a shooter, but he has been both awful at shooting and lights out and in between all in the same year.  No idea where his shooting will be after this lay off. 

You also have Tyus. 

JV/JJJ/Winslow/Brooks/Ja

Dieng/Clarke/Jackson/Melton/Jones

3rd stringers, Slomo, Tolliver, Konchar, Allen, Guduric

3 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

I think it depends on how spaced out these games are.  If it is 8 games in 17 days, most teams will go longer benches, and really for a team like the Lakers or even the Rockets, there is no need to put a ton of minutes on LeBron, Harden or whomever as seeding means little, except for possibly on matchups early on.  If it is 8 games in 4 weeks, that is a different story.

I think the philosophy going into the 8 games will be a 10-12 man rotation because I think they are playing for development, just like when the season started.  

I think Josh Jackson is worth getting a long look at because of what he can offer in the future.

I also want to see what is done with the open roster spot.

4 hours ago, Dwash said:

I like Melton over Allen at this point.  Defense will always be there. Allen is a shooter, but he has been both awful at shooting and lights out and in between all in the same year.  No idea where his shooting will be after this lay off. 

You also have Tyus. 

JV/JJJ/Winslow/Brooks/Ja

This, its a 10-11 man rotation with Allen or SlowMo being the 11 man, depending of the matchup.

9 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

I like it 

ja/tyus/allen

dillon/melton/allen

winslow/josh/dillon

JJJ/clarke/anderson

JV/JJJ

allen may truly be healthy/playable which he has been hinting at on social media.  he was allowed to go to the facility even during lockdown.  his shooting was getting very consistent (he was  at or close to 40+% until that 2nd sprain).  everyone is going to be rusty, so as long as he plays some passable defense, then his athleticicm/shooting/potential scoring off the bench could garner him more than expected minutes.  i would like to see them run and gun with the most athletic lineup too --> ja/allen/josh/clarke/JJJ.  if you worry about shooting in this lineup outside of allen and JJJ, then you can put dillon in in place of josh, although dillon is a pretty average or less than athlete by nba standards.  winslow is more athletic but not necessarily a shooter.

19 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

i like this with the addition of tyus of course.  they need to play melton and allen together more, they always seemed to play well together along with tyus.  a smaller backcourt of tyus/melton/allen had worked depending on matchups especially as melton has length as does allen somewhat.

On 6/4/2020 at 9:16 AM, toocoolkellz said:

It's good that we have such a deep rotation in a way considering guys may be a little out of shape. 

yup, this will be a big advantage.  hope everyone has stayed in shape.  jenkins should have them running/gunning regularly and deploy regular subs to keep guys fresh and put pressure on the opponents.

On 6/4/2020 at 8:49 AM, Rdk4121 said:

Winslow should be starting at the 3. He'll have a training camp to get accustomed to the other guys. The only way kyle gets playing time is the backup 3, but honestly his main attribute (defense) isn't as useful with the reserves as Melton, Brandon, and Dieng are all good defenders. Josh should be getting those minutes as he is a pretty good defender and a better offensive player. Josh has the ability to score 1 on 1, which is something missing from that unit. Kyle will probably only get minutes if Jaren or Winslow get in foul trouble. 

We don't know if Grayson is healthy, and if he is, he'll probably be way more rusty than everyone else. I think he's better served sitting out until next year. I love Konchar, but I'm not sure how 2way contracts work in the playoffs. Konchar is certainly someone to keep around particularly if Melton or Josh leave in the offseason. 

he's been at the facility rehabbing even during lockdown and apparently practicing lately as per the recent grizz podcast.  he may actually show up as one of the better conditioned guys.

19 hours ago, Dwash said:

You also have Tyus. 

JV/JJJ/Winslow/Brooks/Ja

That’s exactly it. Plus there will be injuries and important players should rest as much as possible, so there will be minutes for 3rd stringers.

On 6/6/2020 at 8:26 AM, Grizzfan7979 said:

No tyus?

On 6/3/2020 at 1:53 PM, ALT GRIND said:

Sure.

Ja: 34 

Tyus: 11

Melton: 15

Dillon: 28

Grayson: 13

Winslow: 21

Josh: 15

Slo Mo: 10

Jaren: 27

Clarke: 23

Jonas: 27

Dieng: 16

The bench will be shortened for playoffs.  I don't see above distribution happening.  For Ja, the  break was so long that he should be managed like a 2nd year player, and you know he has been watching video.  34 +...JJJ, the time off should have allowed him to heal, and I see his minutes at 30+...Too many guys that bring the same type of game getting minutes during season, that will change in playoffs...like Tyus, Melton, Grayson, winslow, slo mo...pick two and ride them...JV, is about right at 27...don't over worry about match-up in playoffs with him, he has always excelled with Raptors in the post season...

The smart move is to have a smaller rotation no reason to play 12 guys for 8 games especially for a young team like us.

In my opinion playing a 10 player rotation would be ideal with SlowMO and Allen on the bench.

13 hours ago, costarica2 said:

The smart move is to have a smaller rotation no reason to play 12 guys for 8 games especially for a young team like us.

In my opinion playing a 10 player rotation would be ideal with SlowMO and Allen on the bench.

I think the first 8 games we need to do a 10 player rotation 

7 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

So, if winslow is playing well i'm not sure kyle gives us anything he doesn't The issue with not playing allen is he gives us shooting which unfortunately none of our wings beyond occasionally brooks does.

8 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

I wonder if we should try a platoon for those 8 games.  Especially with a lot of guys coming back from injuries and Winslow having never played a regular season game for us.

Start Ja/Dillon/Winslow/Jaren/Jonas.  Bench mob of Tyus/Grayson/Josh/Clarke/Dieng.  And we still have Melton, Slo Mo, and Konchar.  Also, Tolliver.

I am guessing we need to add SHOOTING in the draft and in free agency.

2 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

So, if winslow is playing well i'm not sure kyle gives us anything he doesn't The issue with not playing allen is he gives us shooting which unfortunately none of our wings beyond occasionally brooks does.

If Allen was flat out knock down shooter or the other wings were just unwilling to shoot at all (like Slomo) I could go with that. But right now Allen is just a good not great shooter (had one hot stretch then cooled) while Jackson, Melton, Winslow are just decent shooters at best.  The gap between their shooting, imo, is not outweighted by the gap between their defense and hustle most importantly (Jackson and Melton get after it and Winslow is known for that too) plus those three are atleast willing to create something, even though they aren't the best at it they can't be ignored. 

23 minutes ago, Dwash said:

If Allen was flat out knock down shooter or the other wings were just unwilling to shoot at all (like Slomo) I could go with that. But right now Allen is just a good not great shooter (had one hot stretch then cooled) while Jackson, Melton, Winslow are just decent shooters at best.  The gap between their shooting, imo, is not outweighted by the gap between their defense and hustle most importantly (Jackson and Melton get after it and Winslow is known for that too) plus those three are atleast willing to create something, even though they aren't the best at it they can't be ignored. 

If we go heavy on defensive-minded rotations (which we probably should) then we probably need to have at least ONE big man shooter out there at all times (either Jaren or Gorgui Dieng).  

Clarke is actually consistently "average" from 3 ball land.  Grayson Allen is All-Or-Nothing.  He's like John Starks or something.  

We are probably overloaded with grit/grind wings at the moment, and even for the intermediate future.

Looks like Jaren is gonna have to be our "designated volume 3 point shooter".  

1 hour ago, ALT GRIND said:

I wonder if we should try a platoon for those 8 games.  Especially with a lot of guys coming back from injuries and Winslow having never played a regular season game for us.

Start Ja/Dillon/Winslow/Jaren/Jonas.  Bench mob of Tyus/Grayson/Josh/Clarke/Dieng.  And we still have Melton, Slo Mo, and Konchar.  Also, Tolliver.

I am guessing we need to add SHOOTING in the draft and in free agency.

Ha... wow... I COMPLETELY forgot we signed Anthony Tolliver!

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

Ha... wow... I COMPLETELY forgot we signed Anthony Tolliver!

Yeah, and we have to make a decision on whether or not to renew his 10 day contract.  haha