Grizzled Vet

So, on return, how will the minutes be divided

Suppose that all players are healthy, including Grayson, for the restart. 

After the "training camp" period, and assuming that TJ plays at least 10 guys a game, how do you imagine the minutes being distributed?

Seems like it could be a battle for minutes. And while it is safe to eliminate Yuta, Jontay Porter, and I would write Marko Guduric & John Konchar from getting minutes, I'm just not sure.  I imagine they will keep longer benches on return in case several players get sick, but excluding that potential, who gets the minutes?

For those who have forgotten who is on team (besides the 4 listed above)

Ja/Tyus

Dillon/Grayson/DMelt (not listing as a depth chart so relax)

Justise Winslow, Kyle A, Josh Jackson

JJJ, BClarke

JV, Gorgui

Feels kinda good to discuss playing time, and I could have left someone out.

9 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

After the "training camp" period, and assuming that TJ plays at least 10 guys a game, how do you imagine the minutes being distributed?

Seems like it could be a battle for minutes. And while it is safe to eliminate Yuta, Jontay Porter, and I would write Marko Guduric & John Konchar from getting minutes, I'm just not sure.  I imagine they will keep longer benches on return in case several players get sick, but excluding that potential, who gets the minutes?

Ja/Tyus

JJJ, BClarke

JV, Gorgui

Sure.

Ja: 34 

Tyus: 11

Melton: 15

Dillon: 28

Grayson: 13

Winslow: 21

Josh: 15

Slo Mo: 10

Jaren: 27

Clarke: 23

Jonas: 27

Dieng: 16

8 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Sure.

Ja: 34 

Tyus: 11

Melton: 15

Dillon: 28

Grayson: 13

Winslow: 21

Josh: 15

Slo Mo: 10

Jaren: 27

Clarke: 23

Jonas: 27

Dieng: 16

JV at least 32 in the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

Maybe.   But I didn't want to take minutes away from the other bigs.  I guess we can put Anthony Tolliver in there too.  Wonder if we are gonna renew his 10 day contract.

25 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Maybe.   But I didn't want to take minutes away from the other bigs.  I guess we can put Anthony Tolliver in there too.  Wonder if we are gonna renew his 10 day contract.

Tolliver. Tolliver?  Where have I heard that name before?  Did he play alongside OJ Mayo or was he a Grizzlie with Lance Stephenson?  Oh, that's right, yeah I wonder what's going to happen there, but it just seems like a decade since the Grizzlies last played because so much has happened (and is still happening).

29 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

It will be interesting to see how much time there is between games.  If it is 3 games a week (every 2-3 days), then that might be too much.  If they are going bith B2B and 3 in 4 nights, it is too high.

And as always with JV, it depends on the matchup.

7 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Tolliver. Tolliver?  Where have I heard that name before?  Did he play alongside OJ Mayo or was he a Grizzlie with Lance Stephenson?  Oh, that's right, yeah I wonder what's going to happen there, but it just seems like a decade since the Grizzlies last played because so much has happened (and is still happening).

I think he was part of the Otis Thorpe trade.

JV 30. I cant wait! THE GRIZZLIES ARE COMING BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Ja/Tyus

JJJ, BClarke

JV, Gorgui

You listed 12 players. I think those will be the key players. I think Kyle will probably get more time at 4 than 3 but he may start at the 3 just to get things going. Winslow will have a mini training camp to get up to speed but I think Kyle may still start at 3 for teh remainder of the season, not play the majority of the minutes at 3 but start for continuity and then backup 4. I think Konchar could possibly find some time as well. I'm not sure if Grayson is ready. He may be, but from what I hear, people just don't know. JJJ and Winslow should be 100% healthy as they were about to return anyway if the season continued and BC was scheduled to be back before the end of the season so I would assume he's 100% healthy as well. Allen was the only one definitely out for the season and i never saw a timetable for his return. I think Konchar could get his minutes. 

Winslow should be starting at the 3. He'll have a training camp to get accustomed to the other guys. The only way kyle gets playing time is the backup 3, but honestly his main attribute (defense) isn't as useful with the reserves as Melton, Brandon, and Dieng are all good defenders. Josh should be getting those minutes as he is a pretty good defender and a better offensive player. Josh has the ability to score 1 on 1, which is something missing from that unit. Kyle will probably only get minutes if Jaren or Winslow get in foul trouble. 

We don't know if Grayson is healthy, and if he is, he'll probably be way more rusty than everyone else. I think he's better served sitting out until next year. I love Konchar, but I'm not sure how 2way contracts work in the playoffs. Konchar is certainly someone to keep around particularly if Melton or Josh leave in the offseason. 

14 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

I love Konchar, but I'm not sure how 2way contracts work in the playoffs. 

Two way players cannot play in the playoffs but they can travel with the team as part of the inactive list.

Just now, fanboyslim said:

Two way players cannot play in the playoffs but they can travel with the team as part of the inactive list.

Two way players will be able to play this year ....Teams will be able to get 17 players because of risk of COVID-19.

10 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

Two way players will be able to play this year ....Teams will be able to get 17 players because of risk of COVID-19.

Is that confirmed? I haven't seen any mentions to that in the NBA site (not that it has many details)

34 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Is that confirmed? I haven't seen any mentions to that in the NBA site (not that it has many details)

Should be confirmed today....in GM's survey everyone agreed on it...so it's like 99.9%.

1 hour ago, fanboyslim said:

I think they are working through all this. Likewise, what will happen to these 10-Day guys like Tolliver?

I would think all the teams coming back will be asked to bring in 17 players, and they will need to have some plan in place to bring in some other players.

Hopefully it never gets to that, but it wouldn't be just like bringing up a G-League guy since those guys haven't played for basically a length of an off-season either.

1 hour ago, Rdk4121 said:

Winslow should be starting at the 3. He'll have a training camp to get accustomed to the other guys. The only way kyle gets playing time is the backup 3, but honestly his main attribute (defense) isn't as useful with the reserves as Melton, Brandon, and Dieng are all good defenders. Josh should be getting those minutes as he is a pretty good defender and a better offensive player. Josh has the ability to score 1 on 1, which is something missing from that unit. Kyle will probably only get minutes if Jaren or Winslow get in foul trouble. 

We don't know if Grayson is healthy, and if he is, he'll probably be way more rusty than everyone else. I think he's better served sitting out until next year. I love Konchar, but I'm not sure how 2way contracts work in the playoffs. Konchar is certainly someone to keep around particularly if Melton or Josh leave in the offseason. 

I agree about Winslow (assuming health and shape). The time off has almost been the same as an off-season, and as much as I want to make the playoffs, this is all about next year. If the finances don't work to bring back Josh, then his minutes need to be limited.  However, if there is a chance to retain him at a good price, and they believe he will want to return and did maintain his conditioning (as much as is possible given the very limited opportunities some of these guys had), he needs some time.  

The battle for next year's playing time, especially at the wings between Josh, Grayson, Dillon & Melton, Kyle and Justise is going to be greatly determined in Orlando.

It's also why I think Kyle gets more minutes at PF now

I was going to say we should go super young and run all over the place but almost everyone in the roster is able to do that.JV is clearly the curve ball we are gonna need him in some games because he is a match up problem.

Kyle Anderson is a big question for me especially with Winslow coming back.

1 hour ago, costarica2 said:

Kyle Anderson is a big question for me especially with Winslow coming back.

Yeah, you probably can't play BOTH of those guys at the same time -- but let's see what happens.  I like having secondary play makers out there, so at one of those guys might be in most of our rotations.  I would like Kyle as a small ball 5  (point center) but he might not be big enough.  

1 hour ago, costarica2 said:

I was going to say we should go super young and run all over the place but almost everyone in the roster is able to do that.JV is clearly the curve ball we are gonna need him in some games because he is a match up problem.

Lucky for us, Jonas can be the trailer.  Either down the lane OR have him spot up at 3.  As long as we keep our bigs (Jonas, Jaren, Clarke, Dieng, Tolliver) fresh we should be in great shape.

PG) Ja: 29 ... Tyus: 19

SG) Dillon:24 ... Melton:12 ... Grayson: 5 ... Josh:5 ... Ja: 3

SF) Winslow: 20 ... SloMo: 14 ...  Josh: 10 ... 

PF) JJJ: 25 ... Clarke: 20 ...  Dieng: 3

Center) Jonas: 27 ... Dieng: 11 ... JJJ: 8 ... Clarke: 2

---

4 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

I understand what you're saying about Winslow. I'm just saying I could see that happen to maintain continuity and then next season Winslow starts at the 3. Kyle is a better on the ball defender, a better ball handler and has more length. He is also more efficient and maintains team chemistry and continuity. Throwing a new guy out there could affect chemistry. Sure, they could figure it out but they only have 8 games. It doesn't matter who the guy is, it will take time for him to be integrated. Also, is Winslow a better offensive player than Kyle, yes, but it's not like he's an offensive dynamo and for the most part has poor shooting % from the field and the FT strike. He's being brought in to be a 3 and D (although he's only had a couple  years of shooting well from 3) who can run point forward. Definitely a useful skill set, but I wouldn't rely on him for offense.

I think they will start Kyle during the 8 game set and the playoffs for continuity and then Winslow will start next year but I could be wrong. I definitely think SloMo is on the trading block in the off-season. 

5 hours ago, pjs said:

PG) Ja: 29 ... Tyus: 19

SG) Dillon:24 ... Melton:12 ... Grayson: 5 ... Josh:5 ... Ja: 3

SF) Winslow: 20 ... SloMo: 14 ...  Josh: 10 ... 

PF) JJJ: 25 ... Clarke: 20 ...  Dieng: 3

Center) Jonas: 27 ... Dieng: 11 ... JJJ: 8 ... Clarke: 2

---

Looks decent and realistic.