bhoyal

Remember when people scoffed at using a 2nd round pick to take Shake Milton?

He shot 45% from three this season.  Twice as many assists as turnovers.  Actually started 16 games.

No. I don't remember that. 

22 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Nope, don't remember that at all.I don't even remember seeing his name being mentioned on this board.

I BARELY remember hearing his name here.  BUT, we usually talk about EVERY prospect on this board.

Was he a rookie LAST YEAR?  I thought he was a guy from 2 years ago....  

But, if someone here liked Shake Milton as a sleeper pick and he is turning out to be good, then hats off to the Shake Milton fan!

Remember it like yesterday. Huge war on who to take with a second rounder that we didn't have last year. 

Ok... he went 54 in the 2018 draft.  I was actually a bit higher on him -- I had him at 53 (although I didn't update all of my Shake Milton Blurb).  Here is my Shake write-up from the Mother of All Big Boards 3.0:

53. Shake Milton.  Solid highlights. Just checked him out.  Tons of wings in this thing though.  Sir Shake has Tony Wroten potential.  At 58 though, you take the good with the bad.  Hints of Jamaal Franklin, too.  Although he looks like a better shooter than both.

Here is a link to my ENTIRE MOAB 3.0 from 2018:  https://boards.grizzliesonline.com/topic/20482-mock-the-draft-the-official-draft-day-threadmother-of-all-big-boards-30/?tab=comments#comment-841159

Anyway, it is still early. Let's see how it all SHAKEs out.

It was two drafts ago.  Jevon Carter was the pick.  Shake Milton was mentioned favorably on here as a long term project because he had been injured but was a real "NBA type prospect."  80% or so were against the idea.  Maybe 20% liked the idea.

I liked Carter but didn't think he was tall enough to bother long range jump shooters.  Otherwise, his defense was pretty good.

7 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

It was two drafts ago.  Jevon Carter was the pick.  Shake Milton was mentioned favorably on here as a long term project because he had been injured but was a real "NBA type prospect."  80% or so were against the idea.  Maybe 20% liked the idea.

I liked Carter but didn't think he was tall enough to bother long range jump shooters.  Otherwise, his defense was pretty good.

We ended up with better players in Melton and and Josh Jackson so the Milton miss doesn’t really matter that much plus he was hurt so there was no telling how he would turn out the board has been burnt too many times on hurt players.

16 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

We ended up with better players in Melton and and Josh Jackson so the Milton miss doesn’t really matter that much plus he was hurt so there was no telling how he would turn out the board has been burnt too many times on hurt players.

Yeah.  We did well.  Most here didn't really have a strong opinion on Shake Milton one way or the other.

I actually liked Melton even though I only watched a handful of highlights/clips.  I had him decently high on my board -- I wouldn't doubt it if our FO and scouts had an eye on Melton too.

"We've been gifted a future superstar in James Ennis" would be a KBM thread from back in the day. :rolleyes:

23 hours ago, bhoyal said:

Some of us liked the AP player of the year who was a great 3 point shooter and total winner and leader in college who was still available, Jalen Brunson.

Classic end to the Chris Wallace front office that we took Jevon Carter and then the immediate next 2 picks were also PGs who are starting level players and impact players.

I watched Carter in college and was honestly shocked to even see him on a draft board so no one has to tell me what a bad pick that was. 

6 hours ago, Dwash said:

I watched Carter in college and was honestly shocked to even see him on a draft board so no one has to tell me what a bad pick that was. 

Lemme try ...

he was horrible 

NOPE - still have nothing positive to say so imma just head on out

16 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

Some of us liked the AP player of the year who was a great 3 point shooter and total winner and leader in college who was still available, Jalen Brunson.

Classic end to the Chris Wallace front office that we took Jevon Carter and then the immediate next 2 picks were also PGs who are starting level players and impact players.

Jevon is a good on-ball defender for a point guard.  He dribbles.  Can score.  Not to be confused with a go-to playmaker.  But as point guard depth he's good.  Ironically he would be a good backup for the Grizzlies behind Ja Morant and Tyus Jones.

I don't see a TON of difference in talent level between Jevon, Melton, and Brunson.  I think Brunson might be the most overrated of the 3.  I like Melton's size, more of a 2 position defender than Jevon Carter and he has more potential as a secondary play maker.  Jevon Carter's UPSIDE might only be the next Randy Brown.  But, maybe that still ain't bad for a (high) second round pick.

I can see Melton being somebody like Brian Shaw but with much better defense/toughness.  If he turns into a player with Brian Shaw's strengths AND Tony Allen's strengths then that is one heck of a player.  Especially if he is your third guard.

Jevon Carter is strong but small and not that long.  Doesn't strike me as a speedster either.  Solid floor but maybe not HUGE upside.  Although I think he is getting a bit underrated.  Jalen Brunson might be OVERRATED.  Although both Jevon and Jalen look to be "system point guards" and BACKUP "system guys" at that.

Oh, is this gonna be our official 2018 DRAFT REHASH THREAD?  

If so... cool.  

8 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Jevon is a good on-ball defender for a point guard.  He dribbles.  Can score.  Not to be confused with a go-to playmaker.  But as point guard depth he's good.  Ironically he would be a good backup for the Grizzlies behind Ja Morant and Tyus Jones.

I don't see a TON of difference in talent level between Jevon, Melton, and Brunson.  I think Brunson might be the most overrated of the 3.  I like Melton's size, more of a 2 position defender than Jevon Carter and he has more potential as a secondary play maker.  Jevon Carter's UPSIDE might only be the next Randy Brown.  But, maybe that still ain't bad for a (high) second round pick.

I can see Melton being somebody like Brian Shaw but with much better defense/toughness.  If he turns into a player with Brian Shaw's strengths AND Tony Allen's strengths then that is one heck of a player.  Especially if he is your third guard.

Jevon Carter is strong but small and not that long.  Doesn't strike me as a speedster either.  Solid floor but maybe not HUGE upside.  Although I think he is getting a bit underrated.  Jalen Brunson might be OVERRATED.  Although both Jevon and Jalen look to be "system point guards" and BACKUP "system guys" at that.

Oh, is this gonna be our official 2018 DRAFT REHASH THREAD?  

If so... cool.  

Not to be too picky here, but Shake's last name is Milton.  Like the first name of the guy in office space with the red stapler.

4 hours ago, bhoyal said:

Not to be too picky here, but Shake's last name is Milton.  Like the first name of the guy in office space with the red stapler.

Been fired... no paycheck but still holding on to that red stapler

🤣💫💨

16 hours ago, bhoyal said:

In the above rant about players who are getting way too much pub, I was referencing De'Anthony Melton who was another backup point guard luminary from the massively overrated AND underrated 2018 draft.  Comparing DeAM to Jevon Carter and Jalen Brunson.  Jevon who is a bit underrated and Jalen who is somewhat overrated.  Comparatively speaking, our Melton is RATED.

Can't believe I missed the Milton-Melton duo.  Maybe I should have put them back-to-back somewhere.  Just like I did with BILLY Preston and Aaron HOLIDAY aka BILLY HOLIDAY aka Summertime.  I don't think anyone got the reference then, or it was stupid then too.

I DID put Jalen/Jevon back to back but 10 spots lower than where they actually got drafted.  Not that I think that backup point guards are first round material anyway.  I think I am right on this, the gurus/experts/pundits are WRONG.

I am guessing Shake Milton is a decent sized combo guard.  Never got a good feel for him, even after watching a few highlight clips.  As opposed to De'Anthony MELTON who I had a pretty good handle on after a 10 to 15 minute shallow dive on the YouTubes.  If OUR FO/scouts liked him then we are probably still keeping an eye on him.  Decent-sized guards who can shoot, score, and do some things with the ball are almost always in high demand.

Looking back at my 2018 board, it wasn't right.  It wasn't even wrong (as the old saying goes).  If it was HORRIBLE then it was WEIRDLY HORRIBLE.  Oddly enough, if I had just switched like 4 guys it would have been better.  Mitch Rob, Kostas Freak, Doncic, and Jaren could have switched up -- Move Mitch Rob down to 2, move Luka to 1, then switch Jaren to 8 and Kostas Freak to 33.  Or did I have Luka at 9?  Whatever....  that we still can't really figure out JJJ is a bit disconcerting.  Although my quick write-up was prescient.  

Well, MELTON started 31 of his 50 games in PHX but only averaged 5ppg there.

He came off the bench in almost all of the 52 games in MEM but averaged 8ppg while still keeping around a 2-to-1 assist to turnover ratio and shooting a tad better from three, though not great.  I like his potential for the future, not necessarily as a starter though.

We have been gifted a future solid backup in Melton

Who is he?

Milton from Office Space was a guy with a red stapler.

57ced8b263393bfcc559fc398afcf4a7.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shake Milton plays pro basketball

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjo4Kv54c90ck-kKDllX6

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Melton plays pro basketball

20513_960

if they were great picks. chris Wallace would have not been fired as our G,M 

On 5/26/2020 at 1:35 PM, bhoyal said:

He shot 45% from three this season.  Twice as many assists as turnovers.  Actually started 16 games.

Someone in Philly thinks Shake might be in the starting lineup soon but it could just be an online hack.  

I think Grizz Nation should keep track of all these guys: I think we can win free agency by just focusing on underrated players coming off rookie deals.

Plus, "Shake Milton" is a cool name.  Sounds like old school ABA, like he should have facial hair and a huge fro.

Like this...

ScreenShot2013-12-02at3.26.04PM_crop_exa