I❤️JV

NBA will do everything in its power to give Zion a chance.

Recommended Posts

That's what it sounds like.  Really really dumb.  Just get on with the playoffs!  And, what if Zion gets included BUT he is exposed, or really really fat?  Then what?

I can see Zion Williamson being the most OVERRATED player in NBA history really really soon (even if he IS actually really really good).

The "pod/pool play" option and some of the other fringe ideas makes the NBA sound "bush league".  It almost feels like Amateur Hour.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zion draws viewers, viewers draw money. It's a pretty simple formula. Makes even more sense given how much money they will be losing right now. As long as we make the playoffs i don't care. I'd much rather do the group stage than a play in tournament. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Zion is #1 then Damian is #2

DAMIAN LILLARD TO NBA I WON'T RETURN THIS SEASON ...Without 'True Opportunity' For Playoffs

https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/26/damian-lillard-nba-return-coronavirus-playoff-portland-trailblazers/

Lillard says he'd rather see some sort of play-in-style tournament for squads on the bubble ... saying that would get him back on the court in 2020 no problem.

"If they come back and say it's something like a tournament, play-in style, between the No. 7 and No. 12 seeds, if we're playing for playoff spots, then I think that's perfect," Lillard says.

Damian Lillard is sending a message to the NBA -- give us a shot at playoffs

https://sports.yahoo.com/damian-lillard-sending-message-nba-160004043.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey. my neighborhood gym team wants a shot too! 

I think it is funny to hear these players acting like they deserve something. There are millions of people out of work because of the virus and these fat cats are placing demands on the playoffs before getting paid? Give me a break. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why i don't agree with Lillard's stance, as he is getting paid millions to play basketball, he does have a point. If there is no reason for him being there, or the other 14 teams, then why bother bringing them back? Just means more testing, more potential for injuries, more possible set backs. There is no reason to do a fake ending to the regular season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously it would be best for us to head straight into the playoffs but I quite like the group stage format as a one off. It would be cool to have so many important games, it would be a great spectacle and a nice distraction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Why i don't agree with Lillard's stance, as he is getting paid millions to play basketball, he does have a point. If there is no reason for him being there, or the other 14 teams, then why bother bringing them back? Just means more testing, more potential for injuries, more possible set backs. There is no reason to do a fake ending to the regular season. 

How is this different than any other season? Do you believe that once a team is mathematically eliminated from the playoffs they should sit their best players? To me this is no different. Sorry that it isn't perfectly fair but the players need to think about what is best for the league and play the games they are told to play.

Clearly the only reason any games are being played before the playoffs is to help the teams get back into game shape. If Portland had played better earlier in the season then they wouldn't be in such a position. Because they haven't played well all season they are out of the playoffs but still have a job to do for the teams that are in to be able to put on a show for the fans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, UkGrizz said:

Obviously it would be best for us to head straight into the playoffs but I quite like the group stage format as a one off. It would be cool to have so many important games, it would be a great spectacle and a nice distraction.

I think it would be best for the all the teams in the playoffs to have a few games to get tuned up so they are ready for the playoffs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I think it would be best for the all the teams in the playoffs to have a few games to get tuned up so they are ready for the playoffs. 

They could still do that with just the 16 playoff teams.  But maybe you freeze the standings, and make the games basically semi-competitive aka warm-up games.

You could do a 16 team single elimination "tournament" with just the 16 playoff teams and call it the "NBA Cup".  Give out a cash prize.  Maybe an extra draft pick (15th pick???).  THEN go to the playoffs.  You "simulate" a playoff type format without actually burning "best of 7" playoff games. 

Maybe you do that going forward anyway, just to end the season for cash prizes, trophies and draft picks.  

Ok, if none of this stuff works out well, does the NBA fine Bill Simmons?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ALT GRIND said:

They could still do that with just the 16 playoff teams.  But maybe you freeze the standings, and make the games basically semi-competitive aka warm-up games.

You could do a 16 team single elimination "tournament" with just the 16 playoff teams and call it the "NBA Cup".  Give out a cash prize.  Maybe an extra draft pick (15th pick???).  THEN go to the playoffs.  You "simulate" a playoff type format without actually burning "best of 7" playoff games. 

Maybe you do that going forward anyway, just to end the season for cash prizes, trophies and draft picks.  

Ok, if none of this stuff works out well, does the NBA fine Bill Simmons?

The problem with that idea is the league doesn't get ESPN, TBS or TNT money from playing basically pre-season games. The contract states it must be regular season games to get paid. The league is doing this to help their bottom line. They will insist the games are regular season games but there isn't enough time to play all the games needed to make a full season and all the playoff games. 

The shortened season with full playoffs would maximize the money for the league, hence their desire to do it that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^

In normal seasons, you can have the pre- post-season tourney to also give the winner home court advantage throughout the playoffs.

They could do this and then make the first round five games.  

The non-playoff teams can also have an end-of-season tourney for Cash, a trophy AND the fifth pick in the draft.  

Make the regular season 78 games then have the two pre-post-season tournaments before the actual playoffs.

BUT, if they get too gimmicky it will affect the integrity of the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

^^^

In normal seasons, you can have the pre- post-season tourney to also give the winner home court advantage throughout the playoffs.

They could do this and then make the first round five games.  

The non-playoff teams can also have an end-of-season tourney for Cash, a trophy AND the fifth pick in the draft.  

Make the regular season 78 games then have the two pre-post-season tournaments before the actual playoffs.

BUT, if they get too gimmicky it will affect the integrity of the league.

The league doesn't want to shorten the playoffs because they get more TV money from playoff games than regular season games. This is as much an economic issue as a practicality issue. 

Likewise, the league doesn't want to play games that they don't have a TV contract for because they would owe the players for those games with no visible income to do that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

The league doesn't want to shorten the playoffs because they get more TV money from playoff games than regular season games. This is as much an economic issue as a practicality issue. 

Likewise, the league doesn't want to play games that they don't have a TV contract for because they would owe the players for those games with no visible income to do that. 

....unless the change the deal with local TV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

If Zion is #1 then Damian is #2

DAMIAN LILLARD TO NBA I WON'T RETURN THIS SEASON ...Without 'True Opportunity' For Playoffs

https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/26/damian-lillard-nba-return-coronavirus-playoff-portland-trailblazers/

Lillard says he'd rather see some sort of play-in-style tournament for squads on the bubble ... saying that would get him back on the court in 2020 no problem.

"If they come back and say it's something like a tournament, play-in style, between the No. 7 and No. 12 seeds, if we're playing for playoff spots, then I think that's perfect," Lillard says.

Damian Lillard is sending a message to the NBA -- give us a shot at playoffs

https://sports.yahoo.com/damian-lillard-sending-message-nba-160004043.html

I agree with him here, at least about not playing. I mean, it would make no sense for them to come back for 4-7 games with barely any chance of making the playoffs and even less sense to have them be warm up fodder for playoff teams. Just go straight to the playoffs and let it be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see both stances truthfully.  If I'm coming back to play games how can you say I have no shot at making the playoffs if the games are regular season games. I doubt they have the time to finish the season but we need time to gel with Winslow and Clarke and maybe even Allen coming back from injury.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm ok with a play-in personally.  The NBA needs to rejuvenate fan interest in every city ... even in cities where they were tanking for a high draft pick.  Would also be interesting how a play-in scenario would affect the draft odds ... maybe the NBA should grant extra ping-pong-balls or something for those who do better in the play-in (as an incentive to not tank).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I actually like this idea better than the 5 more RS games and then playoffs. Hell, I even think it’s not worse than going straight to the playoffs!

It’s not very NBA-like, but it would mean at least 4 games in the FedEx Forum with playoff vibes and with better chances of fighting for the 2nd round than with the traditional playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they could still play a 82 game season among the teams that choose to play. Leave it up to the players to decide they're willing to risk it. 

If a team, say the Knicks, can't gather the minimum roster of players willing to continue then let them forfeit the rest of the season. This would help a tanking team plus helps the teams that still had games to play against them.

 

Mind you it still doesn't help our chances in making it.....

 

 

Edit- they can start with the Warriors as an example. They're eliminated already. No point on risking their safety. Record them down as finishing at 15-67 and record it as a win for their remaining opponents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, chipc3 said:

How is this different than any other season? Do you believe that once a team is mathematically eliminated from the playoffs they should sit their best players? To me this is no different. Sorry that it isn't perfectly fair but the players need to think about what is best for the league and play the games they are told to play.

Clearly the only reason any games are being played before the playoffs is to help the teams get back into game shape. If Portland had played better earlier in the season then they wouldn't be in such a position. Because they haven't played well all season they are out of the playoffs but still have a job to do for the teams that are in to be able to put on a show for the fans. 

Yes, at least kind of. I'm not going to get that mad at steph curry for resting a few games if his team is 30 games out of playoffs. He still has to play if healthy, particularly for road games (under normal circumstances). The point of just not bringing them back right now is so there's just less people to test and coordinate. This isn't the time to waste resources. He has a contract and if the Trailblazers want him to play then he has to play, or they fine him. If they are fine with it, then okay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the deal, in 2020, sports will always have an asterisk beside whoever wins the championship, just plain reality.

So, in 2020, do a plan where you can have a 16 seed tournament,

Where...

Milwaukee will play Orlando, Lakers vs Brooklyn, Toronto vs Memphis, Clippers vs Dallas, Boston vs Philadelphia, Denver vs Indiana, Utah vs Houston, and Miami will play Oklahoma City. That's 4 series that automatically catches my eye right there. Let's spice it up for once, NBA has nothing to lose as long as basketball is being played.

TNT is the company that's hurting over this, simply because they rely so much on March Madness and the postseason, and they have lost both events. 

Lillard is correct, why would he want to play meaningless basketball games? Remember, he missed the All-Star game due to an injury. What he said, is good news for the Grizzlies, but it's also bad news. It forces Silver into making a decision. However, the Warriors, Cavs, and Knicks had vacation on their mind since Christmas, so for them coming back and playing meaningless games, would be bad product on the court.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand that ppl in the USA will look at world cup style 1st round as a strange non american gimmick...but i like it.

We would have at least 8 games that matter and would have a better chance to get to elite 8....losing 4-1 to LeBron....is nice too....but it's only 4 or 5 games and unless the Bron has the virus we are going to lose...

p.s. if it's Raptors....then game on...JV's revenge on the Raptors is going to be cold and sweet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now