I❤️JV

Jaren Jackson Jr.'s path to stardom depends on eliminating unnecessary fouls, staying on court for Grizzlies

Jaren has so much potential on both sides of the ball that even if he is never a good rebounder he will be a star. Do people not remember that pre draft everyone said he was raw and would probably take a few years to really blossom? He just happened to come directly in a lot better than was expected so some forget. The kid might not even be done growing

I just want JJJ to score a lot more. He should be 18 ppg in my mind every game. 

52 minutes ago, grizzgolf said:

I just want JJJ to score a lot more. He should be 18 ppg in my mind every game. 

He just needs to get the ball more in general.  Brooks is stealing all of his touches.  JJJ ball handling is already good and is going to get better. Hes going too average more like 25ppg eventually 

11 hours ago, Crizzle said:

He just needs to get the ball more in general.  Brooks is stealing all of his touches.  JJJ ball handling is already good and is going to get better. Hes going too average more like 25ppg eventually 

I agree.

I'd like to see a bit of a 're-balancing (if we ever resuming playing again).

Dillon needs to handle the ball less in the paint, and focus on spot up shooting from the perimeter a bit more.

Jaren needs to handle the ball more, both in and out of the paint, and not force the threes.

It only needs to be a slight adjustment - 3-8 possessions/shots per game

5 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

I agree.

I'd like to see a bit of a 're-balancing (if we ever resuming playing again).

Dillon needs to handle the ball less in the paint, and focus on spot up shooting from the perimeter a bit more.

Jaren needs to handle the ball more, both in and out of the paint, and not force the threes.

It only needs to be a slight adjustment - 3-8 possessions/shots per game

That’s not a bad idea.  If we tweak the shot count then Jaren gets 8 three point attempts per night, Dillon takes 5 (not sure where he is now), Clarke and Ja take 3 each and Jonas takes 3 per game.  The others?  Feed the hot hand.  Maybe Dieng takes a couple per game no matter what.

Mid-range shots: only Ja, Dillon (probably takes too many as it is) along with our main bigs (Jonas and Jaren).  I would like to see Ja attack the mid-range mercilessly with Dillon getting a steady diet of mid-rangers.  An open jumper for Jaren is a good shot — don’t care where it is.  Ummm, maybe limit Jonas’s mid-range shot attempts to pick and pops.  But the mid-range shot does open up a lot even if it is the “worst” shot in Moneyball advanced stats terms.  

Everyone else needs to focus on the 3 ball and their floater games at the rim.  

I would think that those are the main options with Winslow, Josh Jackson and Grayson Allen focusing on secondary playmaking, movement, hustle, rebounding, defense and optimizing their shot selection.  Oh yeah and feed the hot hand during random NBA Jam Mode.  

Back to Jaren: get him shots.  Before the year I thought he should be attempting 8 triples a night.  I think he is close to that... that’s basically his primary role on offense.  Yeah he is kind of a 6’11 Reggie Miller type on the retail end of the court. Also, he’s a secondary post up guy who can get it done with Jonas our.  I would like to see him attempt sky hooks at the highest rate since prime Kareem.  Maybe 4 or 5 per night.  Let it fly big man!!!

On defense, Jaren is an all-around pest (best role for him), a primary weak-side shoot blocker, and a secondary rebounder/rim protector.  

If we want a high flying alley-oop artist and sky walking shot blocker then I suggest we draft one.

6 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

That’s not a bad idea.  If we tweak the shot count then Jaren gets 8 three point attempts per night, Dillon takes 5 (not sure where he is now), Clarke and Ja take 3 each and Jonas takes 3 per game.  The others?  Feed the hot hand.  Maybe Dieng takes a couple per game no matter what.

Mid-range shots: only Ja, Dillon (probably takes too many as it is) along with our main bigs (Jonas and Jaren).  I would like to see Ja attack the mid-range mercilessly with Dillon getting a steady diet of mid-rangers.  An open jumper for Jaren is a good shot — don’t care where it is.  Ummm, maybe limit Jonas’s mid-range shot attempts to pick and pops.  But the mid-range shot does open up a lot even if it is the “worst” shot in Moneyball advanced stats terms.  

Everyone else needs to focus on the 3 ball and their floater games at the rim.  

I would think that those are the main options with Winslow, Josh Jackson and Grayson Allen focusing on secondary playmaking, movement, hustle, rebounding, defense and optimizing their shot selection.  Oh yeah and feed the hot hand during random NBA Jam Mode.  

Back to Jaren: get him shots.  Before the year I thought he should be attempting 8 triples a night.  I think he is close to that... that’s basically his primary role on offense.  Yeah he is kind of a 6’11 Reggie Miller type on the retail end of the court. Also, he’s a secondary post up guy who can get it done with Jonas our.  I would like to see him attempt sky hooks at the highest rate since prime Kareem.  Maybe 4 or 5 per night.  Let it fly big man!!!

On defense, Jaren is an all-around pest (best role for him), a primary weak-side shoot blocker, and a secondary rebounder/rim protector.  

If we want a high flying alley-oop artist and sky walking shot blocker then I suggest we draft one.

Yeah but I'd like to see a more varied game from Jaren than just launching 3s. He is quite good in the post, especially if the entry passes are quick. He also needs to develop a mid range game

jaren should be a double/double machine by year 4 

7 hours ago, lions said:

jaren should be a double/double machine by year 4 

you just hit a nail on it's head Mr. Lions...double/double machine by year 4 ...and triple double machine by year 5.....year 6 MVP....Giannis who?

2 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

you just hit a nail on it's head Mr. Lions...double/double machine by year 4 ...and triple double machine by year 5.....year 6 MVP....Giannis who?

for jaren to be Great he must have a lower present near the basket, he would go to the foul line line around 10-15 times a game

14 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Yeah but I'd like to see a more varied game from Jaren than just launching 3s. He is quite good in the post, especially if the entry passes are quick. He also needs to develop a mid range game

I agree. There are a large amount of things in his game he needs to improve on. 

9 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I agree. There are a large amount of things in his game he needs to improve on. 

yeah but he IS improving 😆

14 hours ago, lions said:

for jaren to be Great he must have a lower present near the basket, he would go to the foul line line around 10-15 times a game

He worked more in the paint in his rookie season, the early post ups positions in transition were the best.

His game is still raw in a few areas but He has also shown some elite skill.. A 7 ft 20 yr old bombing 6 threes a game on a %40 clip. And shows so much potential as a defender. I expect him to become a good ball handler and that should open up his playmaking as well as getting to the rim more

Sam Vecente on Jaren.

"There are two glaring issues that really seem to throw him off course. First, the biggest red flag for me heading into Jackson’s draft process was his defensive rebounding. It’s actually the reason I ended up ranking Marvin Bagley ahead of him at the time. I think I’m probably going to be proven wrong about doing that, but it’s worth stating for context. Again, Jackson really struggles to carve out space, and in addition to that I don’t really think that he reads the ball all that well coming off of the glass. It’s pretty rare for him to grab a rebound outside of his area. He has posted a 13.7 defensive rebounding rate that is more commensurate with wings than it is with bigs. Now, the context is pretty important here. The Grizzlies want their guards and wings to get a lot of rebounds because it allows them to start their transition-based attack more often. Jackson is often asked to just clear space for those players. You’d expect this number to be slightly lower. However, Jackson’s overall team effect on the glass is substandard, too. Valanciunas typically does the tough job, and the Grizzlies are much less effective on the glass when Valanciunas is off the court. When the Lithuanian big man is out there with Jackson, the Grizz gobble up 77.6 percent of rebounds, which is about tops in the NBA. When Valanciunas is out there without Jackson, they still grab 75 percent of defensive rebounds. But when Jackson is out on the floor without Valanciunas, the Grizzlies grab just 70.8 percent of defensive rebounds. That rate would have finished tied for 28th in the NBA. To hold down the center position long-term, it’s incumbent upon Jackson to improve on the glass.

Second, Jackson has a real fouling issue that I think throws off the rest of his game on that end. He contests a strong number of shots inside, and he generally affects the interior well when rotating over from the weak side. He is ninth in the NBA in block rate. In the rush to try to contest though, he often isn’t solid enough in his principle of verticality. Smart drivers will go directly into his body as opposed to allowing him to use his length to contest. That leads to a lot of the fouls.

He often takes himself out of position and can get hit with dump off passes. That also leads to him being out of rebounding position, another reason he struggles to contain the glass. Because he is as mobile as he is, he can get to a lot. But he’s still figuring out his limits, and that process has involved a lot of trial and error that sometimes makes him a bit less effective out there. That’s okay, he’s still 20. The ceiling is still incredible high on defense as someone who can move his feet well on the perimeter, contain guards and protect the rim. Generally, Jackson just needs to be much more solid in his decision-making on defense. Once that comes, he has a chance to rapidly improve from his current level."

12 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

yeah but he IS improving 😆

That is a matter of opinion. He definitely improved his three points shooting at least.